Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: How did Liverpool get in the CL???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

How did Liverpool get in the CL???

Right this is absolutely not a moral question. I am asking how did they technically include Liverpool in the CL? There are X amount of places so surely Liverpool makes it X+1 making it uneven? I hear some people saying they replaced the Slovakian representitives? Could someone please explain to me how this works without idle speculations and references please?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    http://www.uefa.com/uefa/news/Kind=1...Id=308644.html

This can't explain what you're asking for..
    Maybe they've not yet decide it
    I'm 21, I'm italian, but I love Ireland, and I always support the irish national team!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    Right this is absolutely not a moral question. I am asking how did they technically include Liverpool in the CL? There are X amount of places so surely Liverpool makes it X+1 making it uneven? I hear some people saying they replaced the Slovakian representitives? Could someone please explain to me how this works without idle speculations and references please?
    They havent taken anyones place.
    It means the Slovakian team will have to play an extra qualifying round.
    To compensate them they gave them an extra place in the UEFA Cup in place on Man City who I think got it for the Fair Play Award (not sure though).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    According to the media, Liverpool are in the first round because other clubs have been bumped up a round.

1. There is a place reserved for the holders in the group stages. Because the holders (Liverpool) didn't qualify, and UEFA refused to enter them at this stage , that place has now been taken by the useless Fenerbache.

2. Fenerbache originally only qualified for Qualifying Rd3. Their 3rd Rd place has been taken by the Polish champions Wisla Krakow, who were originally in Rd2.

3. Wisla Krakow's Rd2 place has been taken by the Romanian champions Steau Bucharest (could be Dinamo, not sure), who were originally in Rd1.

4. Liverpool have, quite ridiculously as the holders, taken the Romanian champions place in Rd1. They now face the might of the likes Total Network Solutions and Torshavn from the Faroes, in what is a blatant waste of time and money. There is no indication that any team has to play an extra qualifiying round. Lennart Johansson said himself that this solution was the only one that meant that no other team suffered as a result of Liverpool getting in, which suggests that there is no demotion to an extra qualifying Rd. If there was an extra qualifying Rd, it would mean another team would have to be admitted to the CL, and as far as I know, this is not the case.

Correct me if i'm wrong though. The only way you'll really know is if you get a correct list of every team that has qualified for the 2005\2006 CL....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    4ofthefloor had Liverpool finished 4th then there would be no Everton therefore there would be one extra place. Who would that have gone to?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    4ofthefloor
    I presume that's me you're talking to

I suppose that is the magic question. As I said, you'll need to get a list of all the qualifiers and work it out. UEFA, geniuses that they are, haven't bothered to explain their actions. They have not announced an extra qualifying round, nor is there one scheduled in the 2005\2006 Champions League diary.

Confusing alright....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Ah, 4tothefloor. I see. Bloody confusing alright. It's as if they don't want us to know.
    Last edited by Poor Student; 11/06/2005 at 7:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    I've done a quick bit of researching and came across a handy site with all the technical details. Click here

Basically it just reiterates what I said: "The Champions League cup-holder spot will not be used in the group stages because Liverpool did not qualify for the Champions League based on league position. The English FA said it will enter the top four teams of the Premiership. At June 10 UEFA decided that the UEFA Champions League holders Liverpool will compete in next season's UEFA Champions League first qualifying round. This implies that the champion of the 10th country on the ranking list (Turkey) will gain direct access to the 1st round, and the champion of the 16th country on the ranking list (Poland) will gain direct access to the 3rd qualifying round, and the champion of the 26th country on the ranking list (Romania) will gain direct access to the 2nd qualifying round."

The seeding for the 2005/2006 tournament is given here. As you can see there is no mention of a pre-qualifier, and the Slovakian champions are in the same Rd1 as Liverpool. It's magic! This info suggests to me that the extra place was there all along, by not invoking the holders automatic place in the group stages. It doesn't sound logical, but that is the way it looks. If this is the case, UEFA are an even bigger shower of incompetent pr1cks than I initially thought....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    That just doesn't make sense.....Had Pool finished 4th then the holders spot and the 4th English spot would have been one combined spot. Instead they are two. Therefore Pool are taking an extra spot of the existing spots. Therefore someone must disappear. Am I just too thick or do I not make sense or what??? All I see is some jibberish about who is seeded in what round and who comes in at what round but no explanation as to where Pool's spot appeared out of.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    OK taken from a thread on the forum of that site I can ascertain this much:

"1. Losers:

- Slovakian champions entering QR1 instead of QR2
    - Slavia Praga losing seeded status in QR3
    - Hajduk Split losing seeded status in QR2
    - Rabotnicki Skopje losing seeded status in QR1
    - Liverpool - playing 6 matches to get to GS
    - Chelsea, ManUtd and Arsenal - getting less money.

2. Winners

- Fenerbahce: directly qualified for GS, instead of having to play ManU or Internazionale in QR3.
    - Everton - having a taste of CL."

But I still cannot figure for the life of me where Liverpool's spot came from.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Wow, I think I figured it out. They add Liverpool in at the 1st qualifying round and pulled the Slovakian team backwards into the first round from the second. So with the Slovakian team pulled backwards there is an extra empty slot in round 2 and two extra teams in round 1 to battle for the slot. Those two teams being Pool and the Slovakian team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    A ha!

If you compare the qualifiers for the Champions League in the season just gone with the qualifiers for the 2005/2006 season, you will find that 20 teams entered in Rd1 last season, while there are 24 teams in Rd1 for next season. The champions of Cyprus, Kazakstan, and Slovakia are in Rd1 this season and weren't last season. Although the champions of Cyprus and Slovakia were in Rd2 last season. I can see the Kazakstan champions as being the only new nation represented next year, as well as the extra place to England. There's 4 extra teams this year though, where did the other two come from?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Right, I think we finally have it.

1. Kazakstan's champions are new to the competition.
    2. UEFA pull Cyprus champions back from 2nd rd to 1st rd to accomodate them, thus creating a place in Rd2.
    3. Liverpool are entered in the 1st rd.
    4. UEFA pull Slovakian champions back from 2nd rd to accomodate Liverpool, thus creating a place in Rd2.
    5. Next year it will revert back to 22 teams in 1st rd, with Slovakian champions returning to 2nd rd automatically.

Thank fcuk for that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Congratulations 4. It only took two of us hours to explain it and work it out. Couldn't they have just told us?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    You would be fairly annoyed if you were the Slovakian Champion having to play an extra round!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thumbs down

Congratulations 4. It only took two of us hours to explain it and work it out. Couldn't they have just told us?
    Ever wondered why UEFA do not have an official seedings site? Ever wondered why such mystery over the regional groups in the UEFA Cup?

I think UEFAake it up as they go along. I wasn't for that unofficial site would be no archive or anything.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    There is a chart here from the UEFA site, that explains the most recent changes to accomodate Liverpool.
    As you can see, before the changes were made (the version that's been up on the site all year) it had the champions in the group stage, but not tied to any country, so there's always last minute changes made. So if Liverpool had finished in the top four, there would still have to be changes made.

There's no comparison to last year on this chart, so I don't know exactly who has suffered compared to then
    Ceci n'est pas une signature