Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 33 of 77 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Season , Arrivals and departures

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCSIL View Post
    Ethan Boyle released by Linfield. Return to Harps?
    If only Rovers had held out he could have returned as a younger and cheaer player than Gannon...we could do with some young experienced cover ourselves!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    There is no doubt the SPL is miles better than LOI, but as we have discussed top 2 (not top 4 or 5 that I said before, I take that back) would compete with all bar old firm. The Scot Championship gets much bigger tv revenue hence bigger prize money, not sure that is much better than our PD, would prob be on par for most of our teams.

On euro performances, Pats drew with Celtic** away, Bohs knocked out Aberdeen, but prob 20 years ago now, Shels came close with Kilmarnock in the 90's and also they were 3-0 up 'away' to Rangers, all in the 90's.

I do remember one season not too long ago, when Rangers were on a low, they were beaten by a Lux side, and into r2, there were more LOI teams v SPL in Europe, but all one off's, and overall SPL as I said a far better standard.

** Dundalk v Celtic 1979 (2-3 and 0-0) - that was the one which could have made things tasty, last 16 of old EC. A a 1-0 home win would have done it for Dundalk, when 19k of the 22k at the game claimed to be behind the town goal to see Tommy Mc miss his 'sitter' which on replay in Jimmy McGee's 'once in a lifetime' show was actually not as close as all thought, still it was a good chance.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,227 Posts
    Those old games don't count for much these days in fairness.

I could see Rovers competing that I think about it - although that's in part cos of the Euro money, which they'd lose if they suddenly found themselves in the Scottish second tier. Dundalk also get good European money of course and I suppose how well they'd do depends on how decent (or not) their new squad is. The 2016 vintage would probably do quite well alright

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    I think Scotland is miles ahead of us. How many full-time players are in the LOI? Actual full-time players, 52 weeks of the year, no other job on the side. Would Scottish Leagues 1 and 2 be fully pro?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,227 Posts
    Don't think so. Some, but not most. The bigger clubs who shouldn't really be there, like Falkirk - are probably pro. East Stirling in their worst years were on £10/week

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Don't think so. Some, but not most. The bigger clubs who shouldn't really be there, like Falkirk
    Falkirk are where they deserve to be, maybe lower.

Some Championship teams are still Part time but the bottom two divisions certainly are.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,227 Posts
    They deserve to be there, sure, but they still shouldn't really be there. Same as Cork deserve to be in the First Division, but shouldn't really be there. They're too big for that.

Three years ago, only Brechin and Dumbarton were part-time in the championship - .https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43936932 Brechin got four points all season. Dumbarton were also relegated, 17 points off safety. Brechin in particular is an extreme example, but still, it's a struggle being part-time in that division
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 28/01/2021 at 8:14 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    Those old games don't count for much these days in fairness.

I could see Rovers competing that I think about it - although that's in part cos of the Euro money, which they'd lose if they suddenly found themselves in the Scottish second tier. Dundalk also get good European money of course and I suppose how well they'd do depends on how decent (or not) their new squad is. The 2016 vintage would probably do quite well alright
    Speak for yerself UCD fan, those games are part of the lifeblood of local club legend!! Meh its not all about euro money now that Rovers have sold out to D-Des and Dundalk having P6 on the books!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,227 Posts
    Fairy nuff so - UCD would survive in the Premier League cos we only lost 1-0 to Everton over two legs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Speak for yerself UCD fan, those games are part of the lifeblood of local club legend!! Meh its not all about euro money now that Rovers have sold out to D-Des and Dundalk having P6 on the books!
    Have P6 put in any money?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    There is no doubt the SPL is miles better than LOI, but as we have discussed top 2 (not top 4 or 5 that I said before, I take that back) would compete with all bar old firm. The Scot Championship gets much bigger tv revenue hence bigger prize money, not sure that is much better than our PD, would prob be on par for most of our teams.

On euro performances, Pats drew with Celtic** away, Bohs knocked out Aberdeen, but prob 20 years ago now, Shels came close with Kilmarnock in the 90's and also they were 3-0 up 'away' to Rangers, all in the 90's.

I do remember one season not too long ago, when Rangers were on a low, they were beaten by a Lux side, and into r2, there were more LOI teams v SPL in Europe, but all one off's, and overall SPL as I said a far better standard.

** Dundalk v Celtic 1979 (2-3 and 0-0) - that was the one which could have made things tasty, last 16 of old EC. A a 1-0 home win would have done it for Dundalk, when 19k of the 22k at the game claimed to be behind the town goal to see Tommy Mc miss his 'sitter' which on replay in Jimmy McGee's 'once in a lifetime' show was actually not as close as all thought, still it was a good chance.
    You forgot Derry's hammering of Gretna. I believe the last two times LOI sides have played Scottish sides in Europe, the Irish side has won. (The other one was Bohs v Aberdeen, as mentioned).

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    Fairy nuff so - UCD would survive in the Premier League cos we only lost 1-0 to Everton over two legs
    If there was no one there to see it did it actually happen?? Bit like the tree falling in a forest theory ;p

Peak 6 own Dundalk, Dundalk had/have cash assets so yes they have spent their money. If you are talking about bankrolling aspects of the club that hasnt been with money earned directly by the club, nobody really knows but I doubt costs accrued could be covered without P6 adding to the pot and covering the shortfall - similar to Rovers and even Cork with Grovemoor among others tbh. Its not necessarily where fans (especially of other clubs) want to see money go at Oriel ie to a new away section and wider ground improvements. Dundalk fans I think have by and large given up on the possibility and we'd hate to deprive anyone of the stick to beat us with....though it would probably be just a return to pitch bashing if we had a fancy new stand built.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    If there was no one there to see it did it actually happen?? Bit like the tree falling in a forest theory ;p

Peak 6 own Dundalk, Dundalk had/have cash assets so yes they have spent their money. If you are talking about bankrolling aspects of the club that hasnt been with money earned directly by the club, nobody really knows but I doubt costs accrued could be covered without P6 adding to the pot and covering the shortfall - similar to Rovers and even Cork with Grovemoor among others tbh. Its not necessarily where fans (especially of other clubs) want to see money go at Oriel ie to a new away section and wider ground improvements. Dundalk fans I think have by and large given up on the possibility and we'd hate to deprive anyone of the stick to beat us with....though it would probably be just a return to pitch bashing if we had a fancy new stand built.
    The question was whether P6 had "put in any money". Other than purchasing the club, and spending what Dundalk FC earn, "who knows?", is the more honest answer.

15. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    The question was whether P6 had "put in any money". Other than purchasing the club, and spending what Dundalk FC earn, "who knows?", is the more honest answer.
    I was under the impression the million paid to the two boys for the takeover came out of the existing cash reserves? More than happy to be corrected if that wasn't the case but I don't think P6 even put a penny of their own funds up for the takeover.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightstory View Post
    You forgot Derry's hammering of Gretna. I believe the last two times LOI sides have played Scottish sides in Europe, the Irish side has won. (The other one was Bohs v Aberdeen, as mentioned).
    In 2013 Drogheda lost 2-0 on aggregate against Malmo including a 0-0 in Tallaght and a very late goal in Malmo. They went on to beat Hibs 9-0 in the next round.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    I think suggesting that Dundalk FC dont earn enough o cover all running costs currently and hence P6 needing to pony up to make ends meets is a reasonable supposition - far from lacking in honesty. The net 2016 EL money wasnt a bottomless pit and imo no longer exists and 2020 EL money would have been all but eroded by the financial issues of this season along with paying the likes of Colovic an eyewatering salary. If bank reserves are minimal as I sspect they are then yes P6 are 'putting in money'. I wish it was a lot more with ground work included. Maybe we should have tried selling the club twice....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boynemunich View Post
    In 2013 Drogheda lost 2-0 on aggregate against Malmo including a 0-0 in Tallaght and a very late goal in Malmo. They went on to beat Hibs 9-0 in the next round.
    Well Pat Fenlon was Hibs manager at the time and European management was never his strong point. New Dundalk signing Sam Stanton was in that Hibs team hammered by Malmo.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    Luke McNally has been sold by Pats to Oxford United in League One for an undisclosed fee. It was only a matter of time before he went across the water so no surprise really although disappointed not to have him for this season. Great for the club to get a transfer fee during covid times too.

According to Neil O'Riordan Pats turned down 2 bids of £50k and the one that was accepted in the end was a lot higher than that with performance related bonuses also included

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    . Maybe we should have tried selling the club twice....
    Open to be corrected, but I thought you had? Matthews bought it then The Kwik Fit crowd and then P6?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    Fast Fix ! And yes I think the joint owners got around 1m between them as part of the deal. The thing was, DFC already had 2-3m in their account at that time. P6 came in, debatable if they actually paid anything for the purchase, or rather took on the running of the club, being responsible for all the bills.

They made losses for two years, but should enjoy a nice profit from 2020 figures.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Page 33 of 77 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast