Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 43 of 77 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Season , Arrivals and departures

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    635 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Richie Towell signing for Rovers in the summer,could be a huge addition that.....

Wow that would be a coup if true.
    Daniel McDonnell normally is pretty reliable

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    Rovers starting to look like a Dundalk alumni club. Well I suppose if you want to dominate an era ye could sign up players from a team that already has dominated an era!

Havent seen Towell with Salford so no idea about his form/fitness but if he is anywhere near the player he was when at Dundalk it could be a potential game changer. Maybe he has signed a precontract but if not he could trigger a bit of a bidding war on his wages and it would be foolish for Dundalk not to at least suss him out though he wouldnt have to bother with any real commute if going to Rovers. All the more reason why Dundalk need to be quick out of the traps - not easy when there is turn over of players in the squad and the main rivals being pretty settled. Word on the vine is that the players are very impressed with this new striker and think he will be a hit. If that turns out to be the case then we have 3 good goal threats to pick from. Id hope that players will have shaken off some of the niggle injuries though preseason doesnt fill me with hope on that so far. Then its down really to whether there is real quality in signings at the back starting with the keeper.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    395 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Rovers starting to look like a Dundalk alumni club. Well I suppose if you want to dominate an era ye could sign up players from a team that already has dominated an era!

Havent seen Towell with Salford so no idea about his form/fitness but if he is anywhere near the player he was when at Dundalk it could be a potential game changer. Maybe he has signed a precontract but if not he could trigger a bit of a bidding war on his wages and it would be foolish for Dundalk not to at least suss him out though he wouldnt have to bother with any real commute if going to Rovers. All the more reason why Dundalk need to be quick out of the traps - not easy when there is turn over of players in the squad and the main rivals being pretty settled. Word on the vine is that the players are very impressed with this new striker and think he will be a hit. If that turns out to be the case then we have 3 good goal threats to pick from. Id hope that players will have shaken off some of the niggle injuries though preseason doesnt fill me with hope on that so far. Then its down really to whether there is real quality in signings at the back starting with the keeper.
    From the reporting it sounds like Dundalk did try to suss him out and even made an offer but he chose Rovers. Will be interesting to see more on it. If Dundalk lost out due to offering one of their new short term deals it's a big mistake in my eyes because if Towell signs for Rovers I'd put us back as favourites for the league. We lost goals with Jack and Aaron and he will hopefully provide those from midfield, as well as depriving Dundalk of the boost.

Shaping up to be competitive anyway, especially if even half of Dundalk's Foreign Legion work out to be at the level required. Bohs will go further again I think so it will be a lot closer at the top. Sligo quietly going about their business too although still not ready for a top 3 push I don't think.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Yeah it sounds very much like he has turned down Dundalk. I think it is fair to say Dundalk as
    of today are far from the Dundalk he left, and if the finances are relatively similar Rovers look the sensible choice.

I imagine it was sold to him as we really need you, you know we have lost Byrne etc come in and be our main man in there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    But he isnt a former Irish international so doesnt fit the profile for Rovers! Seriously though it very well could be that he is eyeing up the gap left by Byrne and maybe even put himself back in with shout of a call up, however slim that chance might be. The way things are at Dundalk with contracts its very hard to know if it was a competitive offer. Current phases in relative squads aside, CL football etc, if similar or even more was being offered, who would want a spin every day when there is a club over the road - it would have to be a substantially better offer to turn the head. Seems we have run out of kitchen sinks!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Could be a great signing for Rovers if it comes to pass. Could it be he saw Rovers and dundalk on different arcs of their future, with one on an upward curve and the other in a downward direction?
    He also could have seen Gannon & Hoare coming here and thought tallaght was the preferred choice.
    Can't think it was about money as Dundalk are flush from their euro exploits so could outbid Rovers easily you'd imagine.
    The only downside would/could be him not arriving till the summer so effectively guys playing the first few months knowing their place is under threat if/when he arrives.
    I haven't followed his career when he left LOI, but he was the star man in the league when he played here.
    Let's see what happens I guess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Hard to know what to make of Towell joining Rovers. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t care that he hasn’t come back to us. I don’t think he’ll be the same player he was with us 6 years ago but he has definite quality. He’s done ok in England but has had a couple of serious injuries this season. If he’s on his game he’ll definitely help fill a gap in Rovers midfield.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    395 Posts
    But he isnt a former Irish international so doesnt fit the profile for Rovers! Seriously though it very well could be that he is eyeing up the gap left by Byrne and maybe even put himself back in with shout of a call up, however slim that chance might be. The way things are at Dundalk with contracts its very hard to know if it was a competitive offer. Current phases in relative squads aside, CL football etc, if similar or even more was being offered, who would want a spin every day when there is a club over the road - it would have to be a substantially better offer to turn the head. Seems we have run out of kitchen sinks!
    We deal in current and future internationals more regularly these days

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    We deal in current and future internationals more regularly these days
    Touché! lol. I agree with PC above, looking at the 2 sides Rovers look to be on an upward trend and Dundalk the opposite. It's great to be able to say that a season on from being champions (and good seasons back to 2013), being current cup holders, and just off a European group stage campaign. We are an unknown this new season in many ways, a manager that needs to prove himself domestically at least (did I mention winning the cup) and a number of signings we know damn all about - they could tear up the league and kickstart getting off the LoI transfer roundabout. Im not going to even think of the alternative as at least there are plenty of proven top LoI players still at the club. The squad is looking quite balanced imo, more than in some previous seasons where we seemed to have a bunch of lads that were too similar. The loss of Finn and McGrath after has needed sorting but some luck with injuries, players showing consistent form, with changes in formations I think it can be covered.

If Byrne and McEneff hadnt left Tallaght I dont think anyone would bet against Rovers. If Gannon had been kept at Oriel Dundalk fans would be less nervous that new signings are bargain basement replacements. As has often been said, the keeper situation is key but if Cherrie is to step in as No1, if we are generally sound defensively he is good enough. There are a lot more unknowns this season than there has been for a while. Bohs and Sligo will be in the mix too, I think Sligo could be the surprise challengers this season. Pats will be a tighter side too I think. We have the Louth Derby also this season which can be battle not to drop points. It's certainly going to be a curious first round of the league. When restrictions on fans are lifted we could see some bumper crowds too if there isnt a runaway leader by then.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts

As has often been said, the keeper situation is key but if Cherrie is to step in as No1, if we are generally sound defensively he is good enough.
    What makes you think he is good enough ? I know he has played at Dundalk previously but I am surprised to hear Dundalk fans being positive, as in my opinion you have signed the worst keeper in the division last year.

I wish him all the best but he was the player a lot of our fans felt had to be first out the door.

When you consider how bad we were last year that speaks volumes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    Wishful thinking! I think Cherrie is a confidence player - tough when a keeper. Not being the commanding vocal type he needs players like that in front of him which I think he does. At a stretch without seeing new signings yet but he is well capable of being that last line shot stopper if he isnt roaming about the box. He is as good as Sava as a reserve keeper if Abibi is worth his salt. Cherrie is good in a good team

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    635 Posts
    Wishful thinking! I think Cherrie is a confidence player - tough when a keeper. Not being the commanding vocal type he needs players like that in front of him which I think he does. At a stretch without seeing new signings yet but he is well capable of being that last line shot stopper if he isnt roaming about the box. He is as good as Sava as a reserve keeper if Abibi is worth his salt. Cherrie is good in a good team
    This i agree with , Rogers was only a very average keeper prone to gaffs when under pressure which considering how good DFC have been for the last 5 years was not often.
    Bit like a hatstand could score goals when up front and getting loads of chances in a good team a bang average keeper wont concede many goals in a good team.
    I was surprised DFC didnt go for Brendan Clarke , maybe he doesnt want to go full time but i always thought he was incredibly solid.
    I realise he has signed elsewhere now but he was available for a while

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    At this stage, I'm almost half surprised Dundalk didn't keep hold of McCarey.

Cherrie has been very poor this last two seasons.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    There must be something in the water up there because I'd genuinely love to have the levels of optimism the vast majority of Dundalk fans have. If roles were reversed, and Rovers had lost two players to Dundalk, lost out on Towell, and had recruited the same group of players Dundalk have, the pitchforks would be out and the 'Enough is Enough' banner would be making another appearance!

The goalkeeping situation alone would have me throwing a wobbler tbh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
    There must be something in the water up there because I'd genuinely love to have the levels of optimism the vast majority of Dundalk fans have. If roles were reversed, and Rovers had lost two players to Dundalk, lost out on Towell, and had recruited the same group of players Dundalk have, the pitchforks would be out and the 'Enough is Enough' banner would be making another appearance!

The goalkeeping situation alone would have me throwing a wobbler tbh.
    1) Well some are unhappy. For me, the team looked like in needed refreshing (and the players too). Hoare looked to have gone backways, Gannon too (but seemed to injured). Both are replaceable for Dundalk (ableit good gains for Rovers). Keeping Duffy was massive, no replacing him.
    2) Towell fills a much bigger gap at Rovers, they must have thrown money and offered a long term deal to beat Dundalk. Gutted we missed out on a near iconic Dundalk player, but that is the way it is.
    3) New players are exotic, and who knows what they will deliver. Sonni and the Lativan have good international experience. Stanton has a bit of pedigree... anyways was there much to sign in the league? Not many players that signed for other clubs are obviously better than what Dundalk signed.
    4) Rogers retired. McCarey wasnt good enough. Not much Dundalk can do and needed 2 goalkeepers. Cherrie is a good no.2 gk. Lets hope there is no need for him to be a number 1.

Overall, its easy to be optimistic when a ball hasnt been kicked. We will see when the season starts. The Kenny era is over, so there is always going to be changes.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    Yeah, thats it well summed up by Kiki. I dont think its optimism as much as acknowledging that we just dont know and are being more pragmatic on the changes at the club and with the squad. Signings in seem to be more about suiting tactics and formation thats in mind, maybe even with lads that were let leave easily also (eg Gannon struggling as a wing back). Under VP it seemed more like bringing in players and slotting them in to a rigid system where they had to adapt and where there was little change irrespective of opposition and how a game was panning out or adjusting formation to a squads strengths.

While I wouldnt be surprised if we went toe to toe at the top of the league, I wont be shocked if we are off the pace for the title. I would be shocked if we were out of European contention. We also have a potential 1st 11 of tried and tested players with a lot of ability but didnt shown consistent good form last season, if they do play to their ability then that alone is reason not to hit any panic buttons. Its an evolution or freshening of the squad rather than rebuilding it. We have 3 good strikers that offer somthing different. Midtskogen is a big strong player that you want to supply with crosses from out wide and using wing backs fits (Dummigan and Leahy we know and Jurkovskis in). Playing 3 at the back we've left and right footed centre-backs and Nattestad is again a big lad that should be imposing, i'd worry a bit about pace though as Garts and Boyle we know are not the quickest so Cleary will be and important starter. FG insists on playing it out from the back so you'd expect Abibi to have been signed with that in mind, that he can pass the ball!! Wasnt Rogers strong point often kicking rugby like to touch, and Cherrie wouldnt stand out as a baller keeper either so there is a lot of hope on Abibi having been scouted as up to it. Midfield we know plenty about, form and fitness of the knowns was an issue last season so some lads need to step up and some luck on the injury front would be nice. Murray and McEleney could continues to be brittle and game time is limited Stanton, Junior will be significant signings. Central midfield we need Shields to keep going and Sloggett to continue to progress, we could even see Duffy tried in a more central role. Kelly and Duffy out wide obviously with Junior and Dummigan also likely to slot in there if needed. We dont know what Perez and Dogan are like really. I still hope the Korean lad gets the go ahead as he'd offer further options out wide and centrally. We have the odd young lad too like Ryan O'Kane that Id expect to get game time if possible, with greater focus on player development.

So my long winded assessment of the squad. There could be an amount of players slotting in and out of different positions to provide cover as it isnt like having 2 teams as under Kenny and when some players got stale. Luck and more luck with injuries and suspensions, a signing or two more and were good to go. There isnt enough games planned preseason imo for the various combinations of players to be worked on but FG at face value doesnt seem overly concerned. There could yet be some out of contract signings for cover but in saying that its possibly why Perez and Dogan are in the squad. Perez is some character - you will hear him before you see him!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Harps confirm the loan signing of striker Ryan Shanley from Hibernian.

Made his first team debut for Hibs in October past. Was on loan with Kelty Hearts in Lowland League in December before their season was curtailed. Scored a few goals there too. Could be an interesting signing.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    While I wouldnt be surprised if we went toe to toe at the top of the league, I wont be shocked if we are off the pace for the title. I would be shocked if we were out of European contention.
    Well you should be shocked if you're off the pace for the title when your playing budget is almost double that of your nearest rivals, and many multiples that of most teams in the league!! It would be completely ludicrous if you were 'out of European contention.' You have a squad of 30 first team players ffs!

Also, Duffy is out with a "long-term" back injury according to Gerry Malone?

I stand by my original point. If Rovers had done Dundalk's business in the off season there would be serious discontent and concern - rightly or wrongly. Instead, and again whether its justified remains to be seen, Dundalk fans seem very, very optimistic about the recruitment and the season ahead. Interesting season ahead either way!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    2) Towell fills a much bigger gap at Rovers, they must have thrown money and offered a long term deal to beat Dundalk. Gutted we missed out on a near iconic Dundalk player, but that is the way it is.
    With respect, you are deluded if you think Rovers would have had to throw money at Towell to appeal more than Dundalk.

They are reigning champions and odds on to retain their title. They have a manager who knows the team and league inside out, they have recruited well and are relatively settled.

Dundalk on the other hand...

Every single footballing consideration that comes to mind for a player like Towell deciding between the two comes down with a tick beside Rovers, it is very possible (frankly probable) that their didn’t have to be a contract financially significantly better on offer from them.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    With respect, you are deluded if you think Rovers would have had to throw money at Towell to appeal more than Dundalk.

They are reigning champions and odds on to retain their title. They have a manager who knows the team and league inside out, they have recruited well and are relatively settled.

Dundalk on the other hand...

Every single footballing consideration that comes to mind for a player like Towell deciding between the two comes down with a tick beside Rovers, it is very possible (frankly probable) that their didn’t have to be a contract financially significantly better on offer from them.
    From what I've heard Dundalk's offer was better financially, which isn't surprising, but he went for the Rovers deal. Don't know any details but I think the Rovers offer was longer, so obviously would mean more guaranteed money over the course of the deal.

Page 43 of 77 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast