Page 31 of 77 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Season , Arrivals and departures

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    190 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olander View Post
    While on the subject of transfers, Conor Kearns has moved to Galway United from St Patrick's Athletic.

He didn't play a league game for Pats last year, it seems Brendan Clarke was voted their POTY.

Very happy with that signing, we have two very good young goalkeepers in Kearns and Kevin Horgan now. Both Premier Division quality really. Good competition.
    Good signing for Galway. Tough season for Kearns last year with the league being cut in half, League Cup and Leinster Senior Cup abandoned, as well Clarke's form making him more or less immovable in the league. He didn’t help himself in the one game he did play in the FAI Cup, gifting a goal to Harps with an error that won the game for them. He looked very uncomfortable with the ball at his feet in that game as well as the friendly games he played but if he can get a run in the team and get back to his UCD form he'll be one of the best keepers in the first division next season in my opinion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Ultimately the buck stops with the board of every club. If a manager does poorly with that budget, then they're usually out the door.

You seem to have a dislike of Caulfield which is colouring your opinion of him. To be honest, it's far from me defending our manager, I'll be honest I was never a huge fan of Caulfield, I found him gruff, I think people went OTT about how poor his football was, but he was more direct. But I always begrudgingly respected how well he did with Cork City, and where he took them from when he took over. He's a winner. It's interesting you touch on the resources at his disposal, I'd be surprised if he ever worked with the same budgets as Dundalk did, Cork struggled to keep pace with Dundalk, and when there was huge cutbacks at the club after they had that poor season, they were always going to fall off. Peak6 are billionaires and they can afford a blip here or there like this season when Dundalk weren't ever really in the hunt.

I think anyone that says that Caulfield isn't a top manager in League of Ireland terms is a bit deluded or has a dislike of him. You can't deny what he has achieved at Cork City. Next season will be difficult for us, Shelbourne look like the favourites, but I think Caulfield will be worth a lot of points to us compared to the relatively inexperienced manager Shelbourne have in Ian Morris. We need to go up, whether that's through winning the league or the play-offs.
    Oh I dont think its any secret that I disliked Caulfield and not for his footballing tactics, his dive against Waterford had more influence than his football philosophy. Caulfield had his moments, played to certain strengths but failed to adapt and evolve so therefore was limited as a coach and the clock was always ticking toward implosion. Signing players that never fitted his style was wasteful and ultimately divisive among supporters and within the club. Arrogance meant that Caulfield pushed the boat out, coupled with a weak board who feared rejecting his demands, didnt call his bluff, destroyed the pride of Cork City FC - its ownership model and killed off the core principle of Foras. Its very easy to say the buck stops with the Board, a club man like Caulfield should have been less self serving and arrogant with the club he allegedly loved and 'insisted' on a damaging budget, gambling with the clubs future.

I dont know what Dundalk's supposed resources have to do with it to be honest except that his pride meant that he couldnt take a step back and cut his cloth. The signings subsequently made with the largest budget he did have, weakened his hand tbh. He suits working off limited resources and maximising what he has. He put one team together won a Double but then Roddy Collins won a double a year after ending up in a relegation play-off and had some of the historically impressive European results in LoI - Is he a top manager? As for Dundakl not being in the hunt this season, thats true but Im sure JC would have taken 3rd place in the league qualifying for Europe, EL Group stages and an FAI Cup as a blip! I have no doubts he will get Galway promoted and climb the premier league table thereafter but he will hit a ceiling unless he too has developed as a coach from his experiences. Im sure Lisa Fallon is a loyal individual but I dont see her learning too much more from a one trick manager!

Kevin Horgan must have improved as a keeper too to call him a premier league quality though he was only a kid previously and hardly had a shining mentor in Tomer Chencinski and getting 1st team senior football regularly has to help. If he is the real deal we can watch him over the next couple of seasons and take him to Oriel!
    Last edited by Nesta99; 23/01/2021 at 5:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Oh I dont think its any secret that I disliked Caulfield and not for his footballing tactics, his dive against Waterford had more influence than his football philosophy. Caulfield had his moments, played to certain strengths but failed to adapt and evolve so therefore was limited as a coach and the clock was always ticking toward implosion. Signing players that never fitted his style was wasteful and ultimately divisive among supporters and within the club. Arrogance meant that Caulfield pushed the boat out, coupled with a weak board who feared rejecting his demands, didnt call his bluff, destroyed the pride of Cork City FC - its ownership model and killed off the core principle of Foras. Its very easy to say the buck stops with the Board, a club man like Caulfield should have been less self serving and arrogant with the club he allegedly loved and 'insisted' on a damaging budget, gambling with the clubs future.

I dont know what Dundalk's supposed resources have to do with it to be honest except that his pride meant that he couldnt take a step back and cut his cloth. The signings subsequently made with the largest budget he did have, weakened his hand tbh. He suits working off limited resources and maximising what he has. He put one team together won a Double but then Roddy Collins won a double a year after ending up in a relegation play-off and had some of the historically impressive European results in LoI - Is he a top manager? As for Dundakl not being in the hunt this season, thats true but Im sure JC would have taken 3rd place in the league qualifying for Europe, EL Group stages and an FAI Cup as a blip! I have no doubts he will get Galway promoted and climb the premier league table thereafter but he will hit a ceiling unless he too has developed as a coach from his experiences. Im sure Lisa Fallon is a loyal individual but I dont see her learning too much more from a one trick manager!

Kevin Horgan must have improved as a keeper too to call him a premier league quality though he was only a kid previously and hardly had a shining mentor in Tomer Chencinski and getting 1st team senior football regularly has to help. If he is the real deal we can watch him over the next couple of seasons and take him to Oriel!
    It's disingenuous to mention Roddy in the same breath as Caulfield.

When you look at what he achieved with Cork City, where they were when he took over, Tommy Dunne had taken them as far as he could and Caulfield turned them into title challengers, they always ran an unbelievably strong Dundalk side close, or got the better of them. He brought them to another level and there was a real buzz around the club, which was reflected in their attendances. He won more than just a double in his time with Cork. A one trick pony brought Cork City to the next level, and he had a decent record against Stephen Kenny, particularly at Turner Cross.

Yes Horgan has improved, he's a very good keeper'. Promising, but still plenty to learn. I'm not sure he fits the brief for a Dundalk signing now, a fella from an obscure country, playing in a league that's rated lower than the League of Ireland
    roddy collins you're a flanker you're a flanker!

4. Thanks From:

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    I imo always rated JC as a serious mgr. Dont forget that CC were on their knees when he took them over after Tommy Dunne got them promoted. It wasnt by any fluke that Cork City won the league and reached so many FAI Cup finals.
    Imo it says a lot that the likes of LK and LF decide to rejoin their former boss at Galway. If I was a betting man I would go for Galway to win the 1st Div for this coming season.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

When you look at what he achieved with Cork City, where they were when he took over, Tommy Dunne had taken them as far as he could and Caulfield turned them into title challengers, they always ran an unbelievably strong Dundalk side close, or got the better of them. He brought them to another level and there was a real buzz around the club, which was reflected in their attendances. He won more than just a double in his time with Cork. A one trick pony brought Cork City to the next level, and he had a decent record against Stephen Kenny, particularly at Turner Cross.

Yes Horgan has improved, he's a very good keeper'. Promising, but still plenty to learn. I'm not sure he fits the brief for a Dundalk signing now, a fella from an obscure country, playing in a league that's rated lower than the League of Ireland
    And financially ruined them in the process, hence the Roddy comparison.

Ps. Cork did their best to throw away that 2017 title, they were lost without MaGuire. Had 4 or 5 attempts before they finally clinched the title.
    Last edited by Neish; 23/01/2021 at 6:23 PM.
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Rovers owe maguire big time for preventing the 4 in a row. Apparantly when he comes back from uk he plans tonsign for rovers. Life long dream

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Is this Change guy any good lads?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    We (Glenavon) have signed:

- Calvin Douglas (ex-Athlone midfielder/right-back, briefly)
    - Craig Hyland (ex-Rovers, Waterford, Longford goalkeeper)
    - Gareth McCaffrey (ex-Rovers, Drogheda, Athlone forward)

Anyone able to give information as to what they're like as players, and indeed if they are any good?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts

Is it really? Caulfield started off with the job he always wanted I suppose, and technically he has never been relegated either. But time will tell as we see how he does at Galway and initially it will be progressive. He has repeated one trend already and thats to spend on a big squad (in 1st Division terms) and quite a sizable backroom team also. Are Galway to go ft also, I vaguely recall the suggestion? It's ambitious, its being bank rolled by the Comer Group but that in itself will bring pressure - something that JC hasnt coped with in the past. Galway may not be the bookies favourites but their intent is clear and that is promotion. If it doesnt come together then like every other big spending club (even in relative terms) expectation will be high at board level and with the money men. Bar 2017 when it was a comprehensive if ultimately laboured getting the title over the line Dundalk were stretched playing on different fronts and yet cup finals went to extra time and penos - a lottery with a does of luck like Hoare's goal ths year. Dominant champions do slip up in cup finals as per the last 2 years as examples but can happen in one off games. I wonder will Galway pursue the tactic of never tackling and be outraged when the opposition does? Find another Seanie as a sticking plaster and it might extend the initial progress!

The recent Dundalk signings are certainly risky at face value and a concern, could be ingenious or conversely a disaster. Young promising keepers showing consistent ability in senior games will be on the radar unless this new guy is the real deal.

I dont think he is a bad manager, I think he is limited. Not unlike Tommy Dunne can bring a team on but then plateau and decline in the efforts to halt a slide. Getting rid of flair players for players that will go through rather than play around opposition was he default and he pointed the finger at those players as scapegoats also and seemed to generally demotivate his players - supposedly his strength was motivation. Showed inexperience at that level so maybe he has learned since.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Andre Wright not going back to Bohs,signing with Ayr United instead.......
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Still the reigning First Division cup champions too.
    Aesthetically that trophy was as pleasing as the World Cup or Champions League trophies. Gargantuan in size also. That day remains the worst rendition of Amhrain na bhFiann in a football ground. Think of someone holding an old Nokia up to a microphone with a home made polyphonic ringtone of the national anthem playing

13. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    190 Posts
    Henry Ochieng who was with Cork last season has joined Watford (yes I’m not missing an ER after the T). I’m sure most players in the LOI are currently wondering who his agent is and how do they make him their agent
    Last edited by 2 Year Contract; 25/01/2021 at 4:16 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thebronze14 View Post
    Aesthetically that trophy was as pleasing as the World Cup or Champions League trophies. Gargantuan in size also. That day remains the worst rendition of Amhrain na bhFiann in a football ground. Think of someone holding an old Nokia up to a microphone with a home made polyphonic ringtone of the national anthem playing
    FFS lad, a night we won one of the few bit of silverware at the club and you find something to moan about. Finn Harps FC : Maybe we like the misery
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    Henry Ochieng who was with Cork last season has joined Watford (yes I’m not missing an ER after the T). I’m sure most players in the LOI are currently wondering who his agent is and how do they make him their agent
    The announcement is that hes signed specifically for U23 side, but yeah Watford. Bizarre. He was one of our better players last season but we were terrible so thats not much of a compliment.

17. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    190 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MU1889 View Post

Anyone able to give information as to what they're like as players, and indeed if they are any good?
    Have never heard of Douglas. Hyland was a very poor backup keeper with Rovers from what I saw, I remember one game he played against Pats at Tallaght and spilled a Forrester shot that was straight at him into his own net and later in the game missing the ball while trying to clear it which resulted in Morgan Langley rolling it into an empty net. Though he was young then as it was in 2015 so he may have improved since then at amateur level. McCaffrey had decent potential at Drogheda but found goals hard to come by in a struggling side. Since he dropped down to St Mochta's he’s been absolutely banging in the goals I believe and is considered one of the best strikers in the country at amateur level. Could do well up there
    Last edited by 2 Year Contract; 26/01/2021 at 1:09 PM.

19. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    190 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    The announcement is that hes signed specifically for U23 side, but yeah Watford. Bizarre. He was one of our better players last season but we were terrible so thats not much of a compliment.
    Ah that would make more sense! Still a hell of a lot of better players in the league that would love that opportunity I’m sure

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    Have never heard of Douglas. Hyland was a very poor backup keeper with Rovers from what I saw, I remember one game he played against Pats at Tallaght and spilled a Forrester shot that was straight at him into his own net and later in the game missing the ball while trying to clear it which resulted in Morgan Langley rolling it into an empty net. Though he was young then as it was in 2015 so he may have improved since then at amateur level. McCaffrey had decent potential at Drogheda but found goals hard to come by in a struggling side. Since he dropped down to St Mochta's he’s been absolutely banging in the goals I believe and is considered one of the best strikers in the country at amateur level. Could do well up there
    Thanks for that rundown.

Hyland has been signed as the number 1 goalkeeper, as our current keeper Jonny Tuffey is leaving at the end of the season, having refused a new 3-year deal, and is unlikely to play for the club again. Hopefully he will have improved enough since his Rovers days to at least be a competent IL shot-stopper.

While our two main forwards have been in reasonable form, neither of the second-choice strikers have really been challenging for a first team spot. One has went on loan to Carrick Rangers, and the other, ex-Sligo flop Greg Moorhouse, has been fairly poor since he returned to the club and will probably leave in the summer. That will be why we've brought McCaffrey in. Looks to have notched a few goals in the First Division a couple of years ago, and has an excellent record in the LSL, so he could be a shrewd signing for us.

Douglas is probably the most unknown quantity, he's been brought in because one of our centre-mids, Sammy Clingan, has received an injury that will likely bring forward his retirement, having just turned 37. We have three decent centre-mids in Michael O'Connor (not that one), Robbie Garrett and Matthew Snoddy so he might just be a squad player to begin with.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Hyland was ok for us but that was a good while ago and we were a pretty poor side at the time.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    What club was Craig Hyland at before he moved to Glenavon?Theres a huge amt of ex loi stars playin there now Conan Byrne for starters. Hyland was GK for us in Tony Cousins early days in charge of us.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MU1889 View Post

Hyland and McCaffrey would both be decent First Division/lower Premier Division players, but both decided to drop out of league football to pursue jobs. McCaffrey in particular was always a handy striker in the First Division.

Douglas is a bit different as he had a short stint in the league but has played most of his career in amateur football and not the highest level either, but that's more due to the politics of Dublin football. He'd be decent enough in the First Division here but not sure if he could make the step up to IL.

25. Thanks From:

Page 31 of 77 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast