Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 29 of 77 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Season , Arrivals and departures

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    As a Bohs fan, I completely see it as another stunt to appeal to new hipster arrivals in Dublin 7. They wouldn't be my cup of tea but our increase in crowds and sponsorships lately is mainly to do with them, and without them, we'd still be languishing around 6th or 7th every season. In the absence of any Sugar Daddy, we've no hope of competing for leagues again without them.

2. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Northsider View Post
    You seem very upset that another football club is trying to be less wasteful and look to the future and try and cut down on its carbon footprint.

Very odd behavior.
    Am I? Where do you see that in my posts exactly?

Do you want to tell me how much waste or carbon emissions Dalymount generates each year? Bearing in mind football grounds, by their very nature, are usually left idle.

But who knows - maybe the Justice Warrior will stop Bohs demolishing the environmentally-friendly carbon sink that is the condemned end and replacing it with a new plant-free, sunlight-reflecting, global-warming stand. Or maybe he'll convince Bohs to take the train to their European tie this year.

(I think Bohs11's post is spot on FWIW.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    It does really devalue the project and concept from the off if it is basically a publicity stunt or fan recruitment drive, though if it works Bohs wont care. I doubt there are too many here who would disagree that the whole climate change isnt a concern yet nearly everyone rolled eyes at this. Irelands 'Kult' club - maybe the Dropkick Murphys have driven past Phibsboro so can be put on the away jersey...

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Am I? Where do you see that in my posts exactly?

Do you want to tell me how much waste or carbon emissions Dalymount generates each year? Bearing in mind football grounds, by their very nature, are usually left idle.

But who knows - maybe the Justice Warrior will stop Bohs demolishing the environmentally-friendly carbon sink that is the condemned end and replacing it with a new plant-free, sunlight-reflecting, global-warming stand. Or maybe he'll convince Bohs to take the train to their European tie this year.

(I think Bohs11's post is spot on FWIW.)
    You're very angry about this whole thing. Do you always get so worked up about other club's initiatives?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    There may be no harm to it, but there's no point to it either. It's daft virtue signalling from a club increasingly going into previously uncharted areas of their own hole.

Do you honestly think football will be as affected by climate change developments as, say, farming? Or fishing? Or tourism? How will changing sea temperatures affect Bohs exactly?

Even within football, will he be calling on less international scouting for example, or fewer pre-season Asian tours (air travel contributes to global warming)?

It may get them a few extra fans and column inches, and it's hard to be too critical of that, but let's not go thinking there's anything more to it than that.
    Out of curiosity, why should football clubs not look to take climate change seriously ?

Businesses need to take climate change seriously, and football clubs are businesses.

Society is increasingly looking for climate change to be taken seriously, and no sport better reflects its societies than football does.

So why shouldn't those things all be combined in a football club publicly taking climate change seriously, and working with others in society on that ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    You're very angry about this whole thing. Do you always get so worked up about other club's initiatives?
    He's not angry. He's laughing at you. You're being very defensive.

Personally, I'm all for this. I look forward to seeing Dalymount being reforested, and the team bus replaced with giant tandem bicycle.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Out of curiosity, why should football clubs not look to take climate change seriously ?
    I haven't said they shouldn't. In fact, I've said it should be the job of the General Manager.

But a problem as serious as climate change needs a serious sense of perspective. A carbon-neutral Dalymount will do nothing for climate change. It's that infinitesimally tiny a factor. And an announcement like Bohs' can give society (or Bohs fans at least) a pat on the back they don't deserve while eating avocadoes and drinking almond milk flown in from half-way round the world, or protesting about water charges for excess usage, or buying fast fashion with dangerous dyes that are again shipped in from thousands of miles away, or flying in Bulgarians to pick our fruit because we don't want to pay local people proper wages to do it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    He's not angry. He's laughing at you. You're being very defensive.

Personally, I'm all for this. I look forward to seeing Dalymount being reforested, and the team bus replaced with giant tandem bicycle.
    Ah he's deffo angry John. Read his next post.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Bohs have jacked-in football (no trophy in a decade, finished behind their great rivals 11 years running) for St Pauli-light hipster virtue-signalling. Fair enough and good luck with it but they'll have to forgive the rest of us pi**ing ourselves laughing at the whole farrago.
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

13. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    I haven't said they shouldn't. In fact, I've said it should be the job of the General Manager.

But a problem as serious as climate change needs a serious sense of perspective. A carbon-neutral Dalymount will do nothing for climate change. It's that infinitesimally tiny a factor. And an announcement like Bohs' can give society (or Bohs fans at least) a pat on the back they don't deserve while eating avocadoes and drinking almond milk flown in from half-way round the world, or protesting about water charges for excess usage, or buying fast fashion with dangerous dyes that are again shipped in from thousands of miles away, or flying in Bulgarians to pick our fruit because we don't want to pay local people proper wages to do it.
    Almost choked on my almond milk there. Can`t remember Bohs fans flying in Bulgarian fruit pickers? Thought that was leading light of the bloodstock industry, Mr Keeling?
    I can remember UCD flying in as many net worth individuals from the Gulf States as they could shoe horn into any available course though?

"Climate Justice" is certainly a big stretch to label what looks to be a good initiative to tie further in with other initiatives in the local community. Seems to have been influenced by a similar initiative in Hibs in Scotland.
    Hilarious that an innocuous press release has triggered such a response when actual relevant player transfer news/rumours, i.e Rovers young player linked to Inter, O`Hora transfer to MK Dons, dont merit mention.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    Almost choked on my almond milk there.
    Do you realize that 1 Almond takes 3.5 liters of water to produce and 80% of the world's Almonds are grown in California which is badly drought afflicted. Mass almond farming like the ones in California are terrible for Biodiversity as they are using bees to Mass pollinate the farms - thousands of which get killed by pesticide's , as well as exhausting California’s aquifers – giant underground caverns full of water . These natural water sources took thousands of years to accumulate; now they are being used up faster than they can ever be refilled.

I'd expect a statement from Bohemians asap announcing a cessation of all non organic Almond usage, all club vegans using Oat milk as standard, as a milk replacement and calling on the Irish government to ban all Almond imports from the US starting immediately.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Almost choked on my almond milk there. Can`t remember Bohs fans flying in Bulgarian fruit pickers? Thought that was leading light of the bloodstock industry, Mr Keeling?
    I didn't say Bohs fans flew them in?

I agree on the point re UCD.

The point is that Bohs can't possibly "play a leadership role in tackling climate change", and I'd actually argue it's unhelpful to suggest that a carbon-neutral Dalymount (still curious as to its actual emissions) is somehow playing such a role.

(And then you take things internationally of course and look at American usage of gas guzzler cars or high-energy AC units, or Chinese/Indian energy consumption trends, and you realise that even Ireland as a country would struggle to play such a role)

And of course if, like Bohs11, you can acknowledge the Climate Justice Officer thing is nonsense but that it might get a few more in through the gate, then I've no problems with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    I'd expect a statement from Bohemians asap announcing a cessation of all non organic Almond usage, all club vegans using Oat milk as standard, as a milk replacement and calling on the Irish government to ban all Almond imports from the US starting immediately.
    They could start by cutting down on their harmful production of replica jerseys and the harmful microplastics they contain.

That'd allow them quietly move away from the stance of thousands of Bob Marley jerseys (or whatever they were) sold abroad.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    At first I didn't see how this Bohs appointment could make any difference at all to the battle against climate change.

Yet within hours the USA decided to rejoin the Paris Agreement.

A truly impressive achievement for the Boez.

19. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patsdad View Post
    At first I didn't see how this Bohs appointment could make any difference at all to the battle against climate change.

Yet within hours the USA decided to rejoin the Paris Agreement.

A truly impressive achievement for the Boez.
    Well spotted!

In response to Stu above, yes the title is overblown, the man himself has volunteered to lead this, and it remains to be seen whether there is any discernible benefit other than winding up other LOI fans.

Unfortunately I don`t see any circumstance for any crowds being admitted to any LOI ground before September 2021, at the earliest, so I don`t believe the initiative has any direct aim of getting numbers through the turnstiles (Bohs will probably be oversubscribed again from membership and season ticket holders for our limited capacity anyway).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    "Climate Justice" is certainly a big stretch to label what looks to be a good initiative to tie further in with other initiatives in the local community. Seems to have been influenced by a similar initiative in Hibs in Scotland.
    Interesting. Can you give some examples of those intitiaves?

In response to Stu above, yes the title is overblown, the man himself has volunteered to lead this, and it remains to be seen whether there is any discernible benefit other than winding up other LOI fans.
    If it's a voluntary post, it'll hardly do any harm. The title is definitely drawing its share of ridicule though.

I might volunteer to be UCD's anti-slavery officer.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Yep, all sounds quite reasonable.

I've already said that if it gets people through the gate, great. But ye have to be prepared to take the flak that goes with the "Justice" tag in particular!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Well when Dundalk launched the fundraising initiative for Temple St hospital it was Boh's fans that were most cynical about it and calling it purely a publicity stunt. There is a big difference between being 'angry' about this Bohs initiative and questioning the reasoning behind it. It can be both publicity for the club and focus attention on a cause, of course. But as was suggested by Bohs fans previously there are arguably more pressing issues to focus on, that could have greater direct impact in the locality. May not appeal to the targeted group, as the ultimate goal. I'm not critcising this project per se just that the perception is that its not really about climate 'justice' as presented at face value. If Bohs are on the ball on where govt. grants/funding is being directed and climate justice are the current buzz words for successful applications well its fair play - other than that its an odd allocation of funds for a club on a shoestring budget!?
    Last edited by Nesta99; 21/01/2021 at 2:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    Interesting. Can you give some examples of those intitiaves?

If it's a voluntary post, it'll hardly do any harm. The title is definitely drawing its share of ridicule though.

I might volunteer to be UCD's anti-slavery officer.
    This is it imo! I think people are tired of the almost militant sounding campaigns. Maybe im too focused on the semantics of the job title but the climate 'justice' thing made me groan before I even read any more about the project - its a bit off putting or switch off, for me, yet could be a genuinely positive and worthwhile project!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    other than that its an odd allocation of funds for a club on a shoestring budget!?
    In fairness, I'm taking from the word "Officer" that, like the Supporters' Liaison Officer, it's a voluntary role. Though if Bohs want to spend €40k a year on someone to tell them to plant hash on top of the Des Kelly and sell the carbon credits to the Government, well, it's their money to do that if they want to.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    One thing I'll say is, there's going to be a lot of Government funding throw at "green" projects over the next few years. If having an "officer" who's keeping on top of what grants etc. are out there puts any club in a position to take advantage of them, than can only be a positive. There's likely to be opportunities in terms of upgrading club buildings, dressing rooms, water systems, etc. All too often league of Ireland clubs seems to miss out on capital grants so maybe this is one they could get ahead of the game on.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

28. Thanks From:

Page 29 of 77 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast