Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 30 of 77 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Season , Arrivals and departures

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    One thing I'll say is, there's going to be a lot of Government funding throw at "green" projects over the next few years...
    I'd have agreed with you before covid. I'm not sure how much money the government is going to have for projects like that now. Some, certainly, to placate the Greens but their attention will be elsewhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    In fairness, I'm taking from the word "Officer" that, like the Supporters' Liaison Officer, it's a voluntary role. Though if Bohs want to spend €40k a year on someone to tell them to plant hash on top of the Des Kelly and sell the carbon credits to the Government, well, it's their money to do that if they want to.
    Yeah as a voluntary role it changes things a bit but there must be some budget set also though even if its just for postage stamps. If a club regularly call poor mouths, worn almost like a badge of honour and then allocate money to a relatively marginal campaign it drives skepticism, especially at a time when budgets are generally under (additional) pressure. But as has been said, it could be a masterstroke if its grant funded or in anticipation of accessing grants. I think in general anything that clubs do that creates positive exposure is good and badly needed, but I also think that without additional info eg that its a voluntary effort, that it may get as much ire as generate positive curiosity. I'll not lose sleep either way lol.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    I think on the grants issue - aside from John83's comment that grant funding will almost certainly be cut back once we see the hole covid has left in the budget - it's an interesting angle, though green initiatives don't tend to be 100% grant-funded (I'd have thought). So if you're going, say, to put solar panels on the roof of Dalyer to heat the dressing room water, Bohs would still have to put money into that. And then it still comes back to the age-old question - does €10k get spent on a water systems upgrade, or on a new forward?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    I'd have agreed with you before covid. I'm not sure how much money the government is going to have for projects like that now. Some, certainly, to placate the Greens but their attention will be elsewhere.
    I dunno, the chatter is more about stimulus packages and with the EU/ECB dishing out cheap money rather than cutting back. There could well be increased pots of grants, especially for projects in covid weary communities. It wont be a return to austerity like cutbacks and could even be an opportunity for LoI clubs if they go about it the right way (and maybe what Bohs are doing). Id be a tad invested lol but if Bohs had announced some sort of 'covid community support officer' i'd have thought it was ingenious and would have god knows how much potential funding opportunities. Though undoubtedly there'd be people calling it cynical opportunism . The YDC at Oriel is made for a large scale vaccination centre, for example, so appointing a community officer like position to liaise with Dept of Health et al where even on match nights (in due course) there was a drop in centre/clinic for supporters...well it could place a club in a real position being an essential cog in the wheel on a pressing public health issue. I have the dreamer cap on and i'm wellll of thread topic never mind Bohs recent appointment but if its heading in the direction of LoI clubs being seen as more than just a side show for a strange bunch of football fans!

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Jesus Christ, that's not a joke either...

https://bohemianfc.com/?p=16076
    LOL, St Pauli copy, what a joke of a club. I guess not winning anything in over 12 years is cool too..

6. Thanks From:

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    Bohs have shown the way to being a sustainable club in the LOI. They have grown their crowds and membership despite not winning trophies and are firmly embedded in the community, far more than most clubs. They may make the odd misstep like the Bob Marley shirts but they have probably been the best run club in the league over the last few years.

That said, this is fecking hilarious. I do think everyone has a role to play in the issue but I am also well up for the slagging that has ensued.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    I think on the grants issue - aside from John83's comment that grant funding will almost certainly be cut back once we see the hole covid has left in the budget - it's an interesting angle, though green initiatives don't tend to be 100% grant-funded (I'd have thought). So if you're going, say, to put solar panels on the roof of Dalyer to heat the dressing room water, Bohs would still have to put money into that. And then it still comes back to the age-old question - does €10k get spent on a water systems upgrade, or on a new forward?
    If Dalymount is going to have a wrecking ball taken to it within the next 5 years it wouldnt be eligible for any green grants under current criteria. Buutt if there is a track record in place when it comes to building a new ground it could release additional funding for upgrading plans that would potentially save on running costs down the line. How much this would effect Bohs in that DCC will bear the cost of the build and make the savings with additional grants, short/medium term it'd make damn all difference to to the club's coffers that I can think of. If grant assisted work like solar panels get installed it'd be more an indication that the redevelopment has been kicked down the road by DCC (has a pet white waiter rafting project jumped the queue...). It'll certainly be interesting to see what comes out of this and if there are ideas that can be pinched. Some previous community projects by Bohs should be studied by other clubs!!

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Bohs crowds have grown over the last few years as they have had comparitive success on the pitch.
    If they have a bad season it will be interesting to see how much the "comunity work" they have been doing counts for.
    Bohs are very good at PR , if there were trophies awarded for this they would be going for the treble

12. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Bohs have shown the way to being a sustainable club in the LOI. They have grown their crowds and membership despite not winning trophies and are firmly embedded in the community, far more than most clubs. They may make the odd misstep like the Bob Marley shirts but they have probably been the best run club in the league over the last few years.

That said, this is fecking hilarious. I do think everyone has a role to play in the issue but I am also well up for the slagging that has ensued.

They've done some good work along with some absolutely laughable virtue signaling that seems to be aimed more at enriching Lambert's Linkedin profile than making any real impact.

And is it working? Bohs media team tell us it is but I'm not sure the attendance figures back that up. They had the largest rise in average attendance (+728) from 2018-19 (though it seems to have dipped pre-covid in 2020) and that's great but it is hardly ground breaking stuff given it was the first season they've vaguely competed for a trophy in a long time. Pat's and Rovers had similar jumps in average attendances from 2016-17 while Derry had close to Bohs increase from 2018-19 and none of those clubs had to to appoint a poet or grow their own tomatoes to do it. Rovers doubled their average from 2019-20 (pre covid). Bohs are now seeing about the same numbers they did in 2009. Maybe the membership numbers are more impressive? And maybe it is a great move towards sustainability and certainly admirable that they run a clean book given the lack of a major investor but......I'm unconvinced about the SJW stuff long term. Smacks of grifting from causes they can't genuinely help with.

That said, their donation of 10k of the Refugees Welcome jersey to buy laptops for children in Direct Provision was a nice touch as was the toy drive...they just seem to do one comical thing for every good thing. Which is fantastic for the rest of us as you've said.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Dundalk have confirmed Colovic has left, he had been out of favour since Sept, wasn't involved in cup final squad (I think).

He was on huge wages by all accounts, general view is they'll be happy to have offloaded as he had 2 years contract left. Pity he didn't work out as he showed glimpses, but Covid didn't help his settling in, that's for sure.

https://www.dundalkfc.com/stefan-returns-to-serbia/
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    I can see both sides of the angle with Bohs initiative. Maybe this new role could have being renamed better.
    Bohs have being forward thinking for well over a decade with ie the clever graffiti around Dalymount etc. Maybe if they concentrated more on tidying up the terracing behind the goal imo. Have Bohs made any announcements for that terracing as it degrades their ground? Dalymount is one of my fav grounds except for the terracing.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    I can see both sides of the angle with Bohs initiative. Maybe this new role could have being renamed better.
    Bohs have being forward thinking for well over a decade with ie the clever graffiti around Dalymount etc. Maybe if they concentrated more on tidying up the terracing behind the goal imo. Have Bohs made any announcements for that terracing as it degrades their ground? Dalymount is one of my fav grounds except for the terracing.
    Letting it grow wild for native species and the bees...

Nah for as long as redevelopment of the whole ground is in the works i doubt it, there's little point in doing anything that'll cost.

18. Thanks From:

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    They've done some good work along with some absolutely laughable virtue signaling that seems to be aimed more at enriching Lambert's Linkedin profile than making any real impact.

And is it working? Bohs media team tell us it is but I'm not sure the attendance figures back that up. They had the largest rise in average attendance (+728) from 2018-19 (though it seems to have dipped pre-covid in 2020) and that's great but it is hardly ground breaking stuff given it was the first season they've vaguely competed for a trophy in a long time. Pat's and Rovers had similar jumps in average attendances from 2016-17 while Derry had close to Bohs increase from 2018-19 and none of those clubs had to to appoint a poet or grow their own tomatoes to do it. Rovers doubled their average from 2019-20 (pre covid). Bohs are now seeing about the same numbers they did in 2009. Maybe the membership numbers are more impressive? And maybe it is a great move towards sustainability and certainly admirable that they run a clean book given the lack of a major investor but......I'm unconvinced about the SJW stuff long term. Smacks of grifting from causes they can't genuinely help with.

That said, their donation of 10k of the Refugees Welcome jersey to buy laptops for children in Direct Provision was a nice touch as was the toy drive...they just seem to do one comical thing for every good thing. Which is fantastic for the rest of us as you've said.
    Bohs pretty much had Dalymount sold out for 2020 so it was capacity holding them back. My point is that while some of the measures might be viewed as cringe on the whole they are growing their club and doing so sustainably. It helps of course that they have been decent on the field. Frankly a lot of your counter examples shipped heavy losses those years- fine if you have someone to cover it of course. But on the whole most clubs should be trying to learn from what has been happening at Dalymount in recent years.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    I see Lisa Fallon has been added to the staff at Galway. Serious push on there for promotion.

Maybe its the times that are in it or maybe its 'cause Caulfield himself hasnt shown to be an expansively thinking coach but are his comments a tad on the patronising side? Maybe if was an appointment as assistant, breaking new ground and additional experience is important but other than that she was already an experienced and highly regarded coach. Surely she already had understanding of coaching at 'at this level' having already been a 1st team coach with a double winning side never mind in an international setup!! If now is the right time why have her in a coaching setup 4 or 5 years ago. I hope JC's coaching ability has developed too and after all, the both have the same coaching qualification!

"Since the last occasion we worked together I have seen significant developments in Lisa's coaching ability. Her time in England has transformed her into a top coach and has given her the understanding and belief to coach at this level.
    "Over there she was operating in the highest learning environment and it is clear to me that now is the right time for her to show her qualities which I believe in. I am delighted to have her on board."
    Last edited by Nesta99; 22/01/2021 at 8:00 PM.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    I see Lisa Fallon has been added to the staff at Galway. Serious push on there for promotion.

Maybe its the times that are in it or maybe its 'cause Caulfield himself hasnt shown to be an expansively thinking coach but are his comments a tad on the patronising side? Maybe if was an appointment as assistant, breaking new ground and additional experience is important but other than that she was already an experienced and highly regarded coach. Surely she already had understanding of coaching at 'at this level' having already been a 1st team coach with a double winning side never mind in an international setup!! If now is the right time why have her in a coaching setup 4 or 5 years ago. I hope JC's coaching ability has developed too and after all, the both have the same coaching qualification!

"Since the last occasion we worked together I have seen significant developments in Lisa's coaching ability. Her time in England has transformed her into a top coach and has given her the understanding and belief to coach at this level.
    "Over there she was operating in the highest learning environment and it is clear to me that now is the right time for her to show her qualities which I believe in. I am delighted to have her on board."
    From reading piece in the sun today Nesta I got a completely viewpoint about LF. According to JC LF was opposition analyst when at Cork City
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    From reading piece in the sun today Nesta I got a completely viewpoint about LF. According to JC LF was opposition analyst when at Cork City
    Yup I had the 1st team coach at Cork probably wrong. But I still think his comments while intended as praise have something off about them. If it were a male coach via the same pathway I would likely think the same but I think the comments would differ. I cant put my finger on it and it could be my own disregard for Caulfield as a coach or that he spent most of his career in non-league football and didnt sustain his initial development in senior football - his coaching played a major role in his former club's decline almost out of existence!?

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Yup I had the 1st team coach at Cork probably wrong. But I still think his comments while intended as praise have something off about them. If it were a male coach via the same pathway I would likely think the same but I think the comments would differ. I cant put my finger on it and it could be my own disregard for Caulfield as a coach or that he spent most of his career in non-league football and didnt sustain his initial development in senior football - his coaching played a major role in his former club's decline almost out of existence!?
    You're reaching. Big time.

I'm not sure how anyone could disregard Caulfield as a manager, you may not like his brand of football or whatever, but he's been Cork City's most successful manager and he's put it up to one of the best sides in the country for years, often getting the better of them.

No manager should be held responsible for a decline in their clubs financial state, that includes ourselves, when we went out of football for two seasons. The people responsible for that are the board that give the manager the budget, they should be held accountable. Every manager can only spend the money that they're given.
    roddy collins you're a flanker you're a flanker!

25. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Managers can demand and boards capitulate - you cant absolve a manager absolutely, especially one that has earned a place of significant influence at a club and used that influence. Im not at all surprised that a Galway supporter has rode to the defence of their current manager though, and if he can replicate any of his success at Galway im sure he will become a club legend. Caulfield rise was as impressive as his fall. Yes Caulfield made his side competitive in a less flashy way as often expected these days - he saw that the old could become the new again in terms of tactics and had a sharp impact, the squad (+ resources) at his disposal could and should have resulted in even better with greater longevity though and the first time the wheels really came off he lost it, no experience of turning things around. I hope he has learned from that and it has transferred him in to a top coach. Time will tell, though if Galway end up in Europe i'm crediting his coaching teams influence!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Managers can demand and boards capitulate - you cant absolve a manager absolutely, especially one that has earned a place of significant influence at a club and used that influence. Im not at all surprised that a Galway supporter has rode to the defence of their current manager though, and if he can replicate any of his success at Galway im sure he will become a club legend. Caulfield rise was as impressive as his fall. Yes Caulfield made his side competitive in a less flashy way as often expected these days - he saw that the old could become the new again in terms of tactics and had a sharp impact, the squad (+ resources) at his disposal could and should have resulted in even better with greater longevity though and the first time the wheels really came off he lost it, no experience of turning things around. I hope he has learned from that and it has transferred him in to a top coach. Time will tell, though if Galway end up in Europe i'm crediting his coaching teams influence!
    Ultimately the buck stops with the board of every club. If a manager does poorly with that budget, then they're usually out the door.

You seem to have a dislike of Caulfield which is colouring your opinion of him. To be honest, it's far from me defending our manager, I'll be honest I was never a huge fan of Caulfield, I found him gruff, I think people went OTT about how poor his football was, but he was more direct. But I always begrudgingly respected how well he did with Cork City, and where he took them from when he took over. He's a winner. It's interesting you touch on the resources at his disposal, I'd be surprised if he ever worked with the same budgets as Dundalk did, Cork struggled to keep pace with Dundalk, and when there was huge cutbacks at the club after they had that poor season, they were always going to fall off. Peak6 are billionaires and they can afford a blip here or there like this season when Dundalk weren't ever really in the hunt.

I think anyone that says that Caulfield isn't a top manager in League of Ireland terms is a bit deluded or has a dislike of him. You can't deny what he has achieved at Cork City. Next season will be difficult for us, Shelbourne look like the favourites, but I think Caulfield will be worth a lot of points to us compared to the relatively inexperienced manager Shelbourne have in Ian Morris. We need to go up, whether that's through winning the league or the play-offs.
    Last edited by Olander; 23/01/2021 at 3:21 PM.

28. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    While on the subject of transfers, Conor Kearns has moved to Galway United from St Patrick's Athletic.

He didn't play a league game for Pats last year, it seems Brendan Clarke was voted their POTY.

Very happy with that signing, we have two very good young goalkeepers in Kearns and Kevin Horgan now. Both Premier Division quality really. Good competition.

Page 30 of 77 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast