Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 46 of 77 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Season , Arrivals and departures

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Not that it matters really but I believe his agent/advisor is the current Rovers chairman. The situation a mess entirely of John Delaney’s making but really at this stage the FAI should’ve found him a proper role or came to an agreement to pay him off.
    If he kept a bankrupt club paying him, why not the FAI, maybe he isnt the type or maybe he feels justified but he is hardly short a few Euro and in need of milking the Irish game off the back of the biggest parasite on the Irish game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    I dont get why Stephen Kenny wouldnt have him in his set up?
    How could our record scorer not be worth having around? even for working with the strikers on finishing?
    Keane is probably justifiably ****ed off with the two fingers there.
    The whole situation is a farce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Is there any of us in our professional lives that wouldn’t expect our employers to honour our contract with them ?

Always amazes me that so often many people then think that professional footballers/managers should he expected to waive* their rights to be paid what was contractually agreed .

* with the exception of Stephen Kenny 😜

4. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    I dont get why Stephen Kenny wouldnt have him in his set up?
    How could our record scorer not be worth having around? even for working with the strikers on finishing?
    Keane is probably justifiably ****ed off with the two fingers there.
    The whole situation is a farce
    Maybe it's just that, as most rumblings seem to suggest, he's not a very good coach?

I don't understand how anyone would expect Kenny to have someone on his coaching staff just because he's a prominent former player who was given a ridiculous contract by John Delaney.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
    Maybe it's just that, as most rumblings seem to suggest, he's not a very good coach?

I don't understand how anyone would expect Kenny to have someone on his coaching staff just because he's a prominent former player who was given a ridiculous contract by John Delaney.

To be fair if Keane was good enough for Mick McCarthy a manger at a high level for many years he should have been capable of doing some sort of job for Kenny.
    Not like his current crop of coaches appear to have been doing a fantastic job

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    To be fair if Keane was good enough for Mick McCarthy a manger at a high level for many years he should have been capable of doing some sort of job for Kenny.
    Not like his current crop of coaches appear to have been doing a fantastic job
    There were quotes in Champaign Football that suggested McCarthy wasn't much impressed with the idea of taking on Robbie as a coach and that he basically accepted it as a fait accompli because the FAI had already hired him.

9. Thanks From:

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Not that it matters really but I believe his agent/advisor is the current Rovers chairman. The situation a mess entirely of John Delaney’s making but really at this stage the FAI should’ve found him a proper role or came to an agreement to pay him off.
    Yeah correct Yossarian as Neil ORiordan has an excellent article in the Irish Sun on this farce with RK and mentioned about the agent!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    It was until Dundalk decide to break the mould and tell everyone they had double everyone else's budget.

Although in the wild world of the LOI that might still only be the fourth-highest.
    Both statements are true. It's Quantum maths.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    Is there any of us in our professional lives that wouldn’t expect our employers to honour our contract with them ?

Always amazes me that so often many people then think that professional footballers/managers should he expected to waive* their rights to be paid what was contractually agreed .

* with the exception of Stephen Kenny 
    Mutual termination of contracts happen all the time, someone saves money and someone gets money - not usually an issue when the employee has employability. Football tends to work a bit differently as ye know - player contracts specially are only as valid for as long as the player wants and as you have alluded too there is a lot of picking and choosing on when and whether contracts should be enforced. Winston Bogarde my choice for smirking at his insisting on his contract terms being fulfilled.

13. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    Do people not see the issue here with an employee of the FAI (governing body) helping out a certain club. Sport is competitive, professional more so, we are supposed to have some sort of rules around fairness. Some may say his coaching doesn't add much to Shamrock R but that is not the point, his substantial wages comes from the organisation that is actually running the league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Lots of development officers also coach LOI teams

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wonder88 View Post
    Do people not see the issue here with an employee of the FAI (governing body) helping out a certain club. Sport is competitive, professional more so, we are supposed to have some sort of rules around fairness. Some may say his coaching doesn't add much to Shamrock R but that is not the point, his substantial wages comes from the organisation that is actually running the league.
    Not unless he was directed to do that work by the FAI, which I haven't heard suggested.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wonder88 View Post
    I really wish he added something that would cause us to reflect on this scenario and whether it needs some sort of ruling. Sadly, I think Robbie is getting a lot more from Rovers than they are from him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    So to sum it up Robbie Keane the guy who we celebrated like lunatics every one of his record tally of goals is

1. Not a good coach that the FAI shouldnt have employed
    2. An unfair advantage for Rovers at the FAI's expense
    3. wrong for taking his contractual entitlements
    4. Not wanted by Mick

I've never understood the bad press RK got.
    The new CEO Jonathan Hill hasnt spoken to Robbie yet despite being in the job several months (said it in an interview the other day)
    The last CEO Gary Owens didnt come up with a role for Robbie

Is the FAI's idea to just ignore the situation and hope it go's away?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Both Keanes got ridiculous contracts for the FAI. Roy Keanes was absolutely absurd. He was something like the 8th highest paid manager in intenational football, as only an assitant (which is little more than a part time job... so much so hhe was working at Villa during the time). From the outside and how much he has moved around, Robbie Keane seems to offer very little as a coach. I was a bit sick to my stomach when he was linked to the Dundalk job after Perth. No problem with him working with Rovers, I think its common and good for outside coaches to do a couple of sessions with a team.

For a cash strapped organisation, some of the contracts handed out made so little sense. But you can see the FAI strategy, pay off some big names to paper over the cracks.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    So to sum it up Robbie Keane the guy who we celebrated like lunatics every one of his record tally of goals is

1. Not a good coach that the FAI shouldnt have employed
    2. An unfair advantage for Rovers at the FAI's expense
    3. wrong for taking his contractual entitlements
    4. Not wanted by Mick

I've never understood the bad press RK got.
    The new CEO Jonathan Hill hasnt spoken to Robbie yet despite being in the job several months (said it in an interview the other day)
    The last CEO Gary Owens didnt come up with a role for Robbie

Is the FAI's idea to just ignore the situation and hope it go's away?
    No idea whether Robbie Keane is a good coach or not, presumably Bradley is happy to have him around. That the FAI are obliged to pay out his contract but can find nothing useful for him to do, is appalling.
    From Robbie Keanes perspective it is a win/win. Good publicity,gets to kick a ball around in the fresh air during Covid restrictions and re -ignites the Robbie Keane Stadium proposal which SDCC were musing o some years ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Still something not quite right about an FAI employee providing assistance to one particular club. Surely he would be better going to the different academies and parting his wisdom than to players who have already peaked?

Bradley seems to think it'll be great for his strikers so I'm looking forward to the front flip celebrations this season. If he wants a challenge he should head up the M1 and try and teach our 6 foot plus lads how to front flip, a real test of his coaching abilities

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Is Keane an essential 'volunteer'?

Why is he allowed flout guidelines? This is reckless.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Northsider View Post
    Is Keane an essential 'volunteer'?

Why is he allowed flout guidelines? This is reckless.
    Thats actually quite a valid point (though Im not sure on whether its tongue in cheek). He'd have to have some formal arrangement in place to be allowed work within the 'bubble'. I dont particularly care whether he is coaching at Rovers or Thomas Davis particularly when there is only LoI in training. But if we werent in the midst of restrictions he would be better deployed as an NGB employee to guest coach at clubs, raising the profile of the game via eg open training sessions, taking underage sessions and visiting schoolboy clubs. It certainly has us talking about his involvement with Rovers regardless whether its considered fair or whatever so no harm imo.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I don't have any particular position on Keane but I'm delighted he's boiling other fans of other clubs' ****. He should continue purely for that reason.

Page 46 of 77 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast