Page 74 of 77 FirstFirst ... 24647273747576 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,480 of 1533

Thread: 2021 Season , Arrivals and departures

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Yeah, Iceland surprised me alright. I wonder is it that they're the flavour of the month after their recent finals qualifications? A couple of good domestic players can spark clubs to take a chance on others (we've seen it here too back in the 00s). They seem to have a reasonably good domestic setup, especially given their population.

But 4-5 times as many players leaving here as Finland/Austria, and 10+ times the rate of other countries, does indicate we're out of synch by and large.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I saw that alright - it was quite interesting. Ireland having by far the most international transfers of U18s - not per capita, but by number - was an indictment of the current setup I thought (albeit that I know the underage leagues have been set up to try address that problem)

188 U18s leaving Ireland in the ten years, compared with 118 French (and 118 NI players), 113 English, 48 Finnish, 28 Slovakians, 21 Croats.

It's such a drain on the league when you consider they could stay a couple more years, get some first-team football (and a Leaving Cert) and then move across for nice 6-figure sums like Scales/Bazunu.

€18.5m in transfer fees received in the period sounds quite high to be honest - yet it's nothing compared to similar-sized countries like Denmark (531m), Croatia (528m), Norway (284m) or Slovenia (96m). Imagine if we could get that transfer fee income up to €50m over 10 years? An extra €3m/year coming into Irish football - direct to the clubs, not to pay off Delaney's debts - would achieve a lot
    Its this that had me annoyed initially, ok we almost pulled off a very good result last night, but really we've endured some total tripe over the years and it was unnecessary. We have been on a continuous downward trend internationally probably since Bosman really started kicking in early noughties (assuming that a bunch of kids had moved mid 90s and hit peak 5-7 years on). Predominantly caused by ego, self interest, and bitterness largely by one person but of course others too. We've had plenty of talk about hindsight but the issue has been flagged decades that LoI development was key to international success. Thats before ye consider the damage done to kids who were cut loose with damn all education - it amounted to child exploitation for most. Bosman damaged us more than most with players and their agents running down contracts knowing clubs couldnt offer longer term deals (dont know what Dundalk FC are thinking by actively returning to that model when money hasnt been an issue but different story). When you see the figures from other similar sized leagues/countries and what was/is possible it's remarkable that we would be happy enough an additiona 3mil per year, so eroded the domestic game is. When you see the likes of Jamie McGrath holding his own against Portugal and how he didnt cost St Mirren a cent in transfer fee and you know he will move for a hefty lump sooner than later it is soul destroying for the league. Though that has to be contrasted with Bazunu and ho Rovers handled that move/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    If you do look at it on a population basis, we come out slightly better, with Northern Ireland having over 60% more transfers per capita than we do. What surprises me is Iceland. They have 54 transfers to our 188, but their population is only about 7% of ours, so their U18 transfers is almost 4 times as high as ours. Other notable nations are Norway with 0.08 transfers per 100k, which is less than half of what is seen in England, France and Spain. Italy at 0.06 is low too.

I'd love to see a breakdown of the transfers. How many are cross border transfers. Players in Derry/Donegal for example? How many are due to pure emigration, and how many are genuine transfers cos our league is **** and the UK is right there. The first couple of those issues certainly exist for other countries but I'd bet a higher percentage of ours are cross border transfers as the Island is so small and the border is so long. Emigration tends to be naturally higher in Ireland historically too. Will be interesting to see how this changes over the next ten years, and I'd love to see us get down to where Austria/Denmark/Scotland are.
    It would be a very interesting case study in 10 years with the change to underage league structures though Brexit would distort a like for like comparison. The issue of cross border transfers among the UK associations probably needs more breaking down too eg NI to Scotland and England mainly as one jurisdiction. Scotland figures are a bit of a surprise and whether transfers to England follow a trend along the decline of the standards and money in the Scottish leagues - which would counterintuitive to player drain contributing to poorer standards thinking.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/socc...igure-24897412

Thought there would be some clause like that but I wouldn't have expected a six figure sum per cap.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    The Rovers board should invite every LOI club to a meeting, to show them how to deal with cross channel transfers.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    That's a great clause to have, fair play. But it's a fair one too, if he gets to that level he's worth a lot more than the original sale price. Not like City will miss the extra €1m either.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    The Rovers board should invite every LOI club to a meeting, to show them how to deal with cross channel transfers.
    They could then bring them to Roadstone to show them how to develop those 30+ year olds for the first team...

Good business by Rovers to be fair.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts

Those are the sort of below the line add ons that every club should be including, a nice earner and presumably a sell on % as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    They could then bring them to Roadstone to show them how to develop those 30+ year olds for the first team...

Good business by Rovers to be fair.
    I think you missed the point there Bazunu was an academy player developed from start to finish. We just did to good a job with him ...and a few others .

The crop of players we have coming through considering the Academy only started 5 years ago properly is outstanding.
    Rovers had 8 in the last u15 panel which within SRFC would be seen as the first of the start to finish teams. (i can see several of these guys in the Rovers first team in 3 years) I'd reccomend anyone when covid regulations die off to go out to Roadstone and watch a game with this team.
    On a serious note, Academy's are expensive to run with no guarantees but ultimately the underage leagues may be the best thing the FAI ever did.
    Each LOI club has been handed the countries crown jewels if they can take advantage of it.
    Up to now you had Schoolboy clubs sending 15 year olds off for zip knowing most would be coming back.
    Playing LOI is now the ambition of most of the players in the Academies and THEN going to England, the association with the club is strong....it also means if things dont work out they have something to come home to as opposed to Schoolboy clubs who they would be to old to play for.

Assuming Scales has the same Clause it could be a good week coming for Rovers
    Last edited by sbgawa; 03/09/2021 at 12:33 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Pffff cross channel is soooo yesterday, sure Dundalk have been globe trotting - we have the brand sown up South Korea, and clubs are queuing up for our Central African Republic international!!

Credit should go to Baxunu too, he must have been willing to sign a decent length pro contract with Rovers allowing the club a transfer fee (beyond solidarity fee levels). He could have kept signing short term deals hoping to improve his chances of a move abroad, It gave Rovers the opportunity to negotiate something reasonable though for Man City its pocket change, though it is likely there a bunch more of add-on. Agents have a lot to answer for and they'll make sure of their payday but let the clubs who they need to keep developing players, struggle, whomever is Bazunu's agent every club and player should look in their direction! If it were financially possible to do so clubs should cut loose players who insisting on short term contracts, short term pain long term gain, and break that cycle of going for nothing or if there is no interest go back to the LoI club for another 1 year deal.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 03/09/2021 at 1:35 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    Those are the sort of below the line add ons that every club should be including, a nice earner and presumably a sell on % as well.
    You'd have to hope Bohs have something similar in place for that Ferguson kid.
    He looks a cert to get a cap one day, no?
    Shamrock Rovers- Where trophies are won and envy is scarce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    You'd have to hope Bohs have something similar in place for that Ferguson kid.
    He looks a cert to get a cap one day, no?
    Open to correction but i don't think he was on pro forms , if so not a lot Bohs could do in the face of an agent saying don't sign.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Great bit of business by our mgmt team and it's been a consistent story. That must be close to 3m in transfer fees off the top of my head if you include the likely return for Bazunu. Byrne the only one to get away that should maybe have gotten us a few bob. We've come a long way in a short space of time in that front. Shower of spoofers.

I remember Bradley and McPhail did an interview a few seasons ago with...LoI Central I think? They spoke about the difference the academy makes when you're negotiating with a club like Man City around a young prospect. They were able to walk them around and show how many hours of coaching and what facilities Bazunu had been exposed to through his development i.e. how much they had invested and how much that investment was now worth if City wanted him. The first team appearances obviously helped too.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Great bit of business by our mgmt team and it's been a consistent story.
    Quite intrgueing that despite being unceremniously. Being dumped out of two cup competitions in 4 days, that the high octane pr is about Rovers having a "great week" and "great ..management team etc..
    Whatever floats your bateau I suppose.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Top of the league don't forget....look up and you'll see us in the faàaar distance

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    Quite intrgueing that despite being unceremniously. Being dumped out of two cup competitions in 4 days, that the high octane pr is about Rovers having a "great week" and "great ..management team etc..
    Whatever floats your bateau I suppose.
    Guess the above proves some folk see just the moment and others see everything

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Few shandies on board DR? Good auld week for Bohs as you won your cup final and might even get to a real one for once. Imagine getting to the Aviva on merit and not just because your ground is a kip. Heady days ahead.

As for PR, do you remember the buzzzzz about your little windfall from the Doherty transfer? Lambert the chancer out there lapping it up as usual despite the fact he wasn't even involved when Doherty moved to Wolves. Haven't seen much "high octane PR" about Rovers doing our business. Par for the course at this point though so not really news is it?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    Guess the above proves some folk see just the moment and others see everything
    I read something similar in a fortune cookie, last time I was in New York.
    Anyway, it certainly is "interesting" that financial success for a LOI club is as much about commodifying young players than on field success.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Top of the league don't forget....look up and you'll see us in the faàaar distance
    Look at the Bohs 2020 accounts and weep.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Most European leagues depend on fees earned selling 20-22 year-olds. It's remarkably naive to think the LoI should be different for some reason

Page 74 of 77 FirstFirst ... 24647273747576 ... LastLast