Page 73 of 77 FirstFirst ... 23637172737475 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,460 of 1533

Thread: 2021 Season , Arrivals and departures

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Was there trouble in the dressing room - something has made them fall off a cliff in the last couple of months and it can't just be bolgers absence can it?
    He looked a tidy skilful player but maybe getting Wright in will alter their game plan and they aim to go more direct instead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Bohs sign Roland Idowu from Cardiff city…

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    I thought the window was closed for Ireland unless the player was unattached?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    I thought the window was closed for Ireland unless the player was unattached?
    His contract was probably cancelled before he left....
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Canceling doesn't work otherwise people would just cancel and say they were free agents so they could move. Either I'm wrong about the window being closed or he was out of contract. I'm hoping I'm wrong about the window as rovers could do with a CB

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Window closes tomorrow for unemployed, unattached or out of contract professional. A player with 6 months left can ask to be released by his club paid off effectively to fall into that category I think. I could be wrong . A player cannot just cancel his contract though to look for a move. Must be done with consent of his club who have to release his reg. If he signed he was out of contract one way or another.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    He was released by Cardiff in the summer. You can still sign out of contract professionals.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Was there trouble in the dressing room - something has made them fall off a cliff in the last couple of months and it can't just be bolgers absence can it?
    He looked a tidy skilful player but maybe getting Wright in will alter their game plan and they aim to go more direct instead.
    Can’t imagine Buckley going direct. It’s not in his nature. As always when a team loses a few games there’s talk of trouble in the dresssing room. Gibson started brilliant but things hadn’t been working for him, like everyone else, the last few months. Hopefully Wright and Lorenzen get things going from an attacking point as scoring goals is our main problem. McCourt has been as big a loss for us as Bolger. Bolger did actually play in a few of the games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    Can’t imagine Buckley going direct. It’s not in his nature. As always when a team loses a few games there’s talk of trouble in the dresssing room. Gibson started brilliant but things hadn’t been working for him, like everyone else, the last few months. Hopefully Wright and Lorenzen get things going from an attacking point as scoring goals is our main problem. McCourt has been as big a loss for us as Bolger. Bolger did actually play in a few of the games.
    I don't think the term route one is in Buckos comprehension. He would rather finish last playing football than be top playing it long.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Rovers sign Barry Cotter .....
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    He was supposedly signing for Dundalk so may have been another pinched from under our noses by Rovers. Maybe thats what Bradley means when he says Cotter has many of the attributes the look for in a player - former Dundalk or linked with Dundalk, doesnt have a *full international cap though....

*fixed
    Last edited by Nesta99; 31/08/2021 at 5:13 PM.

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    He has U-19 caps. 🙂

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Bohs sign Cole Kiernan.

Bohemians are delighted to confirm the signing of striker Cole Kiernan from Middlesbrough, subject to international clearance. The 19-year-old spent a year with Boro’s U23s having previously been with their local rivals Sunderland where he captained the club’s U18s. Kiernan is from nearby Hartlepool but qualifies for Ireland through his grandfather

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Where did Rovers get BC from Joey B?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post

Happy with that we were looking pretty thin at the back

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Where did Rovers get BC from Joey B?
    Ipswich released him a while back.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Happy with that we were looking pretty thin at the back
    You spelt sh*te wrong

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    I know this is a 2021 transfer thread but not sure it warrants a new thread, unless mods want to move this? For the complete stato nerds here is the FIFA report released on transfers over 10 years 2010-20, for the non nerds it's a good sleep aid! Few things stand out, obviously that we top the table for transfers out of U18 players though this will have to change due to Brexit and EU law being non applicable. Other things, that are no real surprise, are the sort of fees involved with associations that we'd like to thing are beatable in Europe and how some smaller countries out perform us. For those that couldnt be bothered with the detail below are a few snippets that I think could be of interest.

https://digitalhub.fifa.com/m/47c2f0...ers-Report.pdf)

p 44 Cyprus (something just off in that place with money to population ratio) Finland maybe as a league we could be comparing with.
    p 46 Wales and Cyprus again. It'd be interesting to know if the clubs in the English pyramid are distorting figures but I think it is done by association!?
    p52 p58 p61 some more figures from leagues we recently have butted heads with to contrast with LoI
    p86 NI figures
    P88 RoI figures which Id love to see a breakdown of.
    P91 speaks for its self and about the only table we top and of course its isnt a good one. We are in times of that changing with both politics and FAI underage league structures but a long way to go.

*if Dundalk were a country and the stats included the last 12 months we'd probably be in the mix somewhere on an agents fees!!
    Last edited by Nesta99; 02/09/2021 at 11:54 AM.

20. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    I saw that alright - it was quite interesting. Ireland having by far the most international transfers of U18s - not per capita, but by number - was an indictment of the current setup I thought (albeit that I know the underage leagues have been set up to try address that problem)

188 U18s leaving Ireland in the ten years, compared with 118 French (and 118 NI players), 113 English, 48 Finnish, 28 Slovakians, 21 Croats.

It's such a drain on the league when you consider they could stay a couple more years, get some first-team football (and a Leaving Cert) and then move across for nice 6-figure sums like Scales/Bazunu.

€18.5m in transfer fees received in the period sounds quite high to be honest - yet it's nothing compared to similar-sized countries like Denmark (531m), Croatia (528m), Norway (284m) or Slovenia (96m). Imagine if we could get that transfer fee income up to €50m over 10 years? An extra €3m/year coming into Irish football - direct to the clubs, not to pay off Delaney's debts - would achieve a lot.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I saw that alright - it was quite interesting. Ireland having by far the most international transfers of U18s - not per capita, but by number - was an indictment of the current setup I thought (albeit that I know the underage leagues have been set up to try address that problem)

188 U18s leaving Ireland in the ten years, compared with 118 French (and 118 NI players), 113 English, 48 Finnish, 28 Slovakians, 21 Croats.

It's such a drain on the league when you consider they could stay a couple more years, get some first-team football (and a Leaving Cert) and then move across for nice 6-figure sums like Scales/Bazunu.

€18.5m in transfer fees received in the period sounds quite high to be honest - yet it's nothing compared to similar-sized countries like Denmark (531m), Croatia (528m), Norway (284m) or Slovenia (96m). Imagine if we could get that transfer fee income up to €50m over 10 years? An extra €3m/year coming into Irish football - direct to the clubs, not to pay off Delaney's debts - would achieve a lot.
    If you do look at it on a population basis, we come out slightly better, with Northern Ireland having over 60% more transfers per capita than we do. What surprises me is Iceland. They have 54 transfers to our 188, but their population is only about 7% of ours, so their U18 transfers is almost 4 times as high as ours. Other notable nations are Norway with 0.08 transfers per 100k, which is less than half of what is seen in England, France and Spain. Italy at 0.06 is low too.

I'd love to see a breakdown of the transfers. How many are cross border transfers. Players in Derry/Donegal for example? How many are due to pure emigration, and how many are genuine transfers cos our league is **** and the UK is right there. The first couple of those issues certainly exist for other countries but I'd bet a higher percentage of ours are cross border transfers as the Island is so small and the border is so long. Emigration tends to be naturally higher in Ireland historically too. Will be interesting to see how this changes over the next ten years, and I'd love to see us get down to where Austria/Denmark/Scotland are.

U18 transfers per 100k citizens
    Iceland 15.13
    Northern Ireland 6.26
    Ireland 3.83
    Wales 1.75
    Finland 0.87
    Austria 0.82
    Denmark 0.71
    Scotland 0.68
    Sweden 0.65
    Portugal 0.57
    Switzerland 0.56