Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 45 of 77 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Season , Arrivals and departures

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    They would if they were tax resident here rather than living.
    I was thinking about Derry players. i wonder would they qualify, youd guess not as Derry is as UK as Manchester (we are talking TAX here rather than the bigger picture).
    Maybe if they were living in Donegal and being paid gross and paying their own taxes here..
    At the end of the day the IRish Revenue aren't going to pay back taxes that were collected in the UK
    Youd have to think Derry would find a way around it that would work.
    If they are only gettng a few hundred which would be a lot of Derry players then its not that important i suppose but for bigger earners its a def issue.
    This tax scheme must have been brought in for the egg chasers
    Last edited by sbgawa; 27/02/2021 at 11:59 AM.

2. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
    And finally, 30 was slightly hyperbolic, but not that far off. You have at least 26 first team players!! Not winning the league is a massive, massive failure for Dundalk given the resources available.
    You do realise that Rovers now have a first team squad of at least 30 players on professional contracts don't you ?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    There's a bit on its introduction (in 2002) here.

McCreevy said it was all his own idea and definitely wasn't anything to do with lobbying from jockeys.

He notes egg chasers and LoI footballers as the main likely beneficiaries. And there was probably an element of trying to attract back individual sportspeople - like golfers - who had left Ireland for tax reasons.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    You're Breaking new ground by saying this now Sonny,be careful you dont repeat yourself lad
    You dont think Dundalk will win it - we fuqing get it!!
    I'm not confident at all that Dundalk won't win it; I'm honestly just baffled there isn't more discontent among Dundalk fans with the approach during the off-season!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sundance kid View Post
    You do realise that Rovers now have a first team squad of at least 30 players on professional contracts don't you ?
    Rovers released the first team squad for the season the other day and there are exactly 21 players in it. There are a lot of kids on pro-deals at Rovers which makes perfect sense given they were planning to field a B team up until last week, and also a number of top academy talents have recently left for compensation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    They would if they were tax resident here rather than living.
    I was thinking about Derry players. i wonder would they qualify, youd guess not as Derry is as UK as Manchester (we are talking TAX here rather than the bigger picture).
    Maybe if they were living in Donegal and being paid gross and paying their own taxes here..
    At the end of the day the IRish Revenue aren't going to pay back taxes that were collected in the UK
    Youd have to think Derry would find a way around it that would work.
    If they are only gettng a few hundred which would be a lot of Derry players then its not that important i suppose but for bigger earners its a def issue.
    I was wondering about Chris Shields eg who lives up north. It was this scheme that Neale Fenn claimed was his reason for wanting a mutual termination of contract back in the day. There must have been some quirk to the scheme back then where players got a tax rebate for the year if quitting the semi-pro status. It could negatively impact Derry if there isnt a similar scheme or a way around it - putting a club office in Stranrolar maybe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    I'm not confident at all that Dundalk won't win it; I'm honestly just baffled there isn't more discontent among Dundalk fans with the approach during the off-season!!!

Rovers released the first team squad for the season the other day and there are exactly 21 players in it. There are a lot of kids on pro-deals at Rovers which makes perfect sense given they were planning to field a B team up until last week, and also a number of top academy talents have recently left for compensation.
    On the first point - Orielweb was a fair auld battleground before Christmas especially when Gannon's exit to Rovers was confirmed. Fans were as polarised as Trumps America! The second point, meh you are splitting hairs. Dundalk I think have 24 in the squad and a couple gone on loan. 1st team squad includes a couple of youngsters that were promoted eg O'Kane. Rovers have what 22 1st team players, loans out too and with Towell to come in and he is worth 3 squad players!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sundance kid View Post
    Rovers have 19 senior pros and 2 kids from the acdamy that are designated as first team (you can see the squad on shamrockrovers.ie) and have also signed 8 or 9 academy kids on pro contracts who are doing Ashfield college for their leaving certs and playing for the 19's or 17s.

The kids are being secured for the future.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    For this season all u-19's are registered along with the first team so that clubs can't postpone fixtures if there's a covid outbreak at the club.
    Classic LOI debate going on here, "no, your club has more money than my club!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
    For this season all u-19's are registered along with the first team so that clubs can't postpone fixtures if there's a covid outbreak at the club.
    Yes and I thought it was sorted years age eveyrone has the 4th biggest budget! It is like a slight on clubs or a financial moral highground stance thats taken (up there with worst standard season ever). Understandable when clubs in the past spent money that was never had but I dont think Rovers or Dundalk currently will be left wanting if there is an opportunity to try to sign a known quality player. I doubt Towell would come cheap regardless of who he may end up with in the Summer. If its value for money that fans want and expect neither Dundalk or Rovers would top that league!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
    You still have to register the 19's. They're not all automatically registered.

Mark Coyle confirmed back at Harps as our first team squad now sits at a healthy 25 players, including four under-19's signed to the first team.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Why do you imagine there would be discontent among Dundalk fans? The gaffer has brought in new signings to replace the ones we lost and added a few more.We looked fairly robust v Bohs yesterday.(albeit that was a friendly)
    When Dundalk fans get fed up with fillipo you and the re st of the league will know!Right now,we're grand thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Players will always move, its part and parcel of the game. I think we have assembled a decent squad, and as per the point made before, still 9 who took part in the cup final still there.

Rogers was always going, and that's the key area of concern, no idea how Abibi will work out, Cherrie has won a title with DFC in 2014, but that seems a long time ago, some GK's do get better with age, and he might still be good at this level, but reports from Derry last year didn't seem to be good. I`m just not sure why they didn't go for a proven name in GK area, now one or both of them might do very well, but it shouldn't have come to the 'hoping', lets see how they do.

All other areas no concern, defence looks tight, and the new Latvian defender was excellent v Bohs, MF looks decent, and 4 strikers to pick from.

Still the only one to leave in my view that was a nailed on starter was Gannon, and that was a disappointment, but hopefully Jurkovskis can fill that gap, if he is being used on the right side.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Yes and I thought it was sorted years age eveyrone has the 4th biggest budget
    It was until Dundalk decide to break the mould and tell everyone they had double everyone else's budget.

Although in the wild world of the LOI that might still only be the fourth-highest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    It was until Dundalk decide to break the mould and tell everyone they had double everyone else's budget.

Although in the wild world of the LOI that might still only be the fourth-highest.
    Conveniently the only thing that Chairman Bill has said that people havent thought was completely bonkers!! So LoI's 4th highest budget rule is still intact!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    I see Robbie Keene is back volunteering coaching at Rovers.
    Must be great in particular for the young strikers in the academy to have him giving feedback

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    I see Robbie Keene is back volunteering coaching at Rovers.
    Must be great in particular for the young strikers in the academy to have him giving feedback
    He's still making a small fortune from the FAI too, thanks to that f**kwit Delaney. It's easy to volunteer when you're being paid more money than any three players at the club to do nothing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    He's still making a small fortune from the FAI too, thanks to that f**kwit Delaney. It's easy to volunteer when you're being paid more money than any three players at the club to do nothing.
    In fairness to him he could sit at home and the FAI would still pay him.
    Its bizarre they havent found a roll for him, pretty shoddy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Being paid a First Division clubs weekly budget himself by the FAI.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    He has some amount of luck on things like that (or a very good agent), even after Leeds almost went to the wall he was being paid by them for years while at Spurs and beyond the life of the original contract as they cut the weekly amount but stretched the term of contract, Liverpool basically paid him to leave by honouring bonuses and now the FAI paying him for doing nothing. They should have tried to negotiate a change in job spec to be an ambassador type coach doing coaching sessions nationwide (maybe the did try). Afaik you have to have x number of coaching contact hours as a pro license coach to avoid issues with renewing the license so benefits both parties especially Rovers having a such a distinguished ex international player associated with them (Duff and Keane is reasonable! and would have ambitious parents throwing money at the club to get little Jonny in to the academy) albeit at the moment its only seniors training.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    He has some amount of luck on things like that (or a very good agent)
    Not that it matters really but I believe his agent/advisor is the current Rovers chairman. The situation a mess entirely of John Delaney’s making but really at this stage the FAI should’ve found him a proper role or came to an agreement to pay him off.

Page 45 of 77 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast