Page 39 of 77 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Season , Arrivals and departures

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    Not at the moment. The Albanian lad has got the no.1 jersey, while an u23 goalkeeper from England is also rumored. Both are unkown quantities, so hence Cherrie is brought in.
    You don't go signing an experienced (maybe past it) keeper just because you haven't done proper scouting on the keepers you've signed surely?

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Will Patching why does that name ring a bell? Remind me..
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Patching was with Dundalk last season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    I was hoping he would sign for Pats as backup keeper. Our squad has some decent players in it but depth wise is very thin.
    Cherrie was meant to be going to Pats as back up earlier in the week I heard. Seemed to change quite quick with his move back to DFC.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    You don't go signing an experienced (maybe past it) keeper just because you haven't done proper scouting on the keepers you've signed surely?
    Rhetorical question? We shall see. Rovers were practically transformed overnight by Mannus signing so agree with Oriel on having a solid keeper just to be in the mix!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Rhetorical question? We shall see. Rovers were practically transformed overnight by Mannus signing so agree with Oriel on having a solid keeper just to be in the mix!
    Yes a solid keeper is crucial if you expect to challenge for the title, but in my opinion Cherrie does not meet that criteria. He’s a decent keeper but he’s a down grade on Rogers, who had his own flaws. Like everyone else, I’ve no idea how the Albanian keeper will do, but I hope we’ve only signed Cherrie purely to have a decent keeper with LoI experience in the squad, I’ll be worried if he is the first choice.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Not rhetorical. Kiki suggested Dundalk signed Cherrie because the Albanian fella and the underage target are "unknown quantities"

Gambling on unknown quantities to the extent of having a Plan C signed just in case isn't a great transfer policy for a side who'd expect to be serious title contenders and to do well in Europe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Yes a solid keeper is crucial if you expect to challenge for the title, but in my opinion Cherrie does not meet that criteria. He’s a decent keeper but he’s a down grade on Rogers, who had his own flaws. Like everyone else, I’ve no idea how the Albanian keeper will do, but I hope we’ve only signed Cherrie purely to have a decent keeper with LoI experience in the squad, I’ll be worried if he is the first choice.
    Im presuming that Cherrie is the experience on the bench and if needed can fill a gap. We've had well rated keepers in reserve the last while, little game time to really see their ability. From Sava to McCarey, have had gaffs that damaged us but then so did Rogers - is any keeper gaff free? Didnt see much of Tracey either. Looking back at the Bratislava game, thats the standard of keeper we'd all like!! Similar to this Albanian chap thats coming in I hope.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Im presuming that Cherrie is the experience on the bench and if needed can fill a gap. We've had well rated keepers in reserve the last while, little game time to really see their ability. From Sava to McCarey, have had gaffs that damaged us but then so did Rogers - is any keeper gaff free? Didnt see much of Tracey either. Looking back at the Bratislava game, thats the standard of keeper we'd all like!! Similar to this Albanian chap thats coming in I hope.
    What on earth are you seeing that would suggest this lad would be anywhere near the standard of Slovan Bratislava's keeper??? One is a 23 year old Slovakian international with around 100 appearances for Slovan Bratislava; the other is a 24 year old who has played one season finishing in the bottom half of the Albanian league and couldn't get a sniff in the Italian lower leagues. As far as I can see they are both non-Irish goalkeepers, and that's about where the similarities end.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    I think this is the key phrase

12. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
    What on earth are you seeing that would suggest this lad would be anywhere near the standard of Slovan Bratislava's keeper??? One is a 23 year old Slovakian international with around 100 appearances for Slovan Bratislava; the other is a 24 year old who has played one season finishing in the bottom half of the Albanian league and couldn't get a sniff in the Italian lower leagues. As far as I can see they are both non-Irish goalkeepers, and that's about where the similarities end.
    Every goalkeeper east of Berlin is the exact same.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    I think this is the key phrase
    In the same way that I hope I will wake up tomorrow to 35 degree heat with the sun splitting the trees; it would be nice, but all available evidence points to another miserable day of ****ing rain in never-ending lockdown.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
    In the same way that I hope I will wake up tomorrow to 35 degree heat with the sun splitting the trees; it would be nice, but all available evidence points to another miserable day of ****ing rain in never-ending lockdown.
    i hope you are wrong

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Ah Nesta...while I agree that having an experienced keeper ready to step in is a good thing.....Mannus and Cherrie aren't similar in terms of ability nor was Mannus signed to be in the mix...Rovers waited for him because they knew he was going to be the number 1. It was a painful wait...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Ah Nesta...while I agree that having an experienced keeper ready to step in is a good thing.....Mannus and Cherrie aren't similar in terms of ability nor was Mannus signed to be in the mix...Rovers waited for him because they knew he was going to be the number 1. It was a painful wait...
    If thats the impression I gave apologies as no way do I consider Mannus and Cherrie as similar in ability! I was more suggesting that there is worry (and uncertainty on how well they have been scouted - hence the rhetorical question question to Stu) about the keepers coming in, not knowing if the unknowns will be good enough so will Cherrie be in the mix for the number 1 jersey. Also that Rovers improved significantly on the back of re-signing Mannus alone never mind other squad improvements.

At least we know what we are getting with Cherrie in comparison to these other lads, if he is to be No 1, whether he will be good enough to do a job is a wait and see and hope that he is if he is in the mix. He has a league winners medal from 2014 as first choice keeper but Kenny didnt seem to rate him though he had a good if unspectacular season with a solid back 4 in front of him. Is he past it now or has improved some weak points with experience I dont know yet and will reserve judgement irrespective of performances at other clubs. He is prone to poor decision making as Cork found in Europe, he was a good shot stopper but didnt command the box - hesitant coming for crosses. I hope that he is not considered as a first choice signing but as back-up, that having an experienced keeper in the squad could be a benefit the younger lads coming in. He is unlikely to be on top wages and that he may be reasonable value for money to have in reserve.

To clear up on what Sonny thought I was saying - The Bratislava keeper is the level of player that I believe is needed especially if there is ambition to improve significantly and consistently in Europe, maybe this Albanian lad has the potential, I hope he has and we have picked up a diamond in the rough. Again, time will tell!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Solid keepers win doubles, and in our case as far back as Richie Blackmore (79), Alan O'Neill (88) and Rogers (15 +18), all three won league titles on their own also (2 for Blackmore, 3 more for Rogers and 1 for O'Neill).

Others can play in a league winning side and end up with a single league title and that's how I would rate Cherrie, and lesser extent Van Boxtel (95), in that mental season of 94/95, one more week we could have finished 3rd, and his plight obviously took on a whole different story !

Point is, you need a massive presence in a GK to win things consistently, and to give that confidence / comfort feel to your defenders, as was mentioned in an earlier post by Nesta, Manus transformed Rovers, and almost overnight. Amazed DFC didn't go for other GK's who were of more ready made quality, now as I said before I could be very wrong on Abibi and Cherrie, I hope I am, and will gladly hold my hand up and say I got it wrong if so.

Granted both deserve a chance, but just why we are taking a chance on GK's is my worry.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Solid keepers win doubles, and in our case as far back as Richie Blackmore (79), Alan O'Neill (88) and Rogers (15 +18), all three won league titles on their own also (2 for Blackmore, 3 more for Rogers and 1 for O'Neill).

Others can play in a league winning side and end up with a single league title and that's how I would rate Cherrie, and lesser extent Van Boxtel (95), in that mental season of 94/95, one more week we could have finished 3rd, and his plight obviously took on a whole different story !

Point is, you need a massive presence in a GK to win things consistently, and to give that confidence / comfort feel to your defenders, as was mentioned in an earlier post by Nesta, Manus transformed Rovers, and almost overnight. Amazed DFC didn't go for other GK's who were of more ready made quality, now as I said before I could be very wrong on Abibi and Cherrie, I hope I am, and will gladly hold my hand up and say I got it wrong if so.

Granted both deserve a chance, but just why we are taking a chance on GK's is my worry.
    Keep on hoping...

Listened to the podcast interviews with Abibi, Cherrie and new goal keeper coach Graham Byas there's a few things of note. Cherrie had been training with Dundalk and was offered a contract subsequently, from what he was saying the impression is he wont start as first choice. Byas talked up Abibi which is to be expected, but I'd have liked there to be more preseason games for Abibi and defenders to bed in communication so there could be some hairy moments early season until thigs settle. The new academy cropped up a few times with Byas so he's not just in a senior coach role. His experience with youth player development played a significant in why he was picked for the job imo, with the growing focus on youth development at the club Rovers fans willing to comment on how he was regarded at Tallaght? If most of his experience is with youths Cherrie's experience could be invaluable. It's planned to stream the friendly with Bohs so it will be interesting to get a first look.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    To be fair, we were transformed overnight when 16-year-old inexperienced Bazunu stepped into the team. Mannus was supposed to sign six months earlier but he came at the right time with Bazunu leaving.
    Last edited by Charlie Darwin; 20/02/2021 at 2:23 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Waterford have signed Josh Collins ex UCD and Oscar Brennan ex Shelbourne and Bohs in last week. Any thoughts on these 2 from fans of his previous clubs?
    We also have a lot of younger players some from UK on trial at moment. Squad is looking a bit thin so far.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Josh is decent; I'd have expected him to move onto a PD team in due course. Played alongside Liam Scales who's done quite well for himself. Brother is Nathan Collins at Stoke

Page 39 of 77 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast