Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 21 of 77 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Season , Arrivals and departures

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Byrne would have hoped McCarthy would have been there for another couple of months at least though, to help him settle in a bit better.
    They go and hire a Cypriot manager now, and he has to fast track learning the language, no familiar faces around, and is a long way from home. Becomes a lot more difficult all of a sudden
    I'm sure there's more than a few that can speak English. Big Dave their centre forward was in Sheffield long enough, he'll be a help.
    As Irishmen we dilute our sense of nation by depending on the English to bring us our balls

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    English is very widely spoken in Cyprus, almost universally so. That coupled with it being the primary language in football and a few players in that squad having spent time in England language will be no barrier.

Didn’t Byrne play a season in the Eridivisie as well? He should be in good shape as a footballer and a person for playing abroad imo.

I am also inclined to feel that McCarthys early departure could be a blessing as he can quickly shake of the shackles of being McCarthy’s man from Ireland, and as well as he clearly gets on with McCarthy, Mick’s style of football is probably not to Jack’s benefit overall or particularly suited to him.

If he doesn’t succeed at Apoel there will be very few mitigating circumstances or excuses and I feel it will be more the case that he just isn’t up to scratch, but I don’t think that’ll be the case and believe it remains an excellent move.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Jack B still on a 2.5 year, some say up to 12k a week, great deal. Regardless if the new man likes him or not, he will still have the contract. He needs to play though to be considered for Ireland.

He has the talent though to give himself as good a chance as the rest to make it, plus its the squad before him that got them into this mess, they are currently 11th from 14.

In local news, Brian Gartland signed new deal with DFC this am, although not confirmed, would appear he will be the last of the 2020 squad to get offered a deal.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    English is very widely spoken in Cyprus, almost universally so. That coupled with it being the primary language in football and a few players in that squad having spent time in England language will be no barrier.

Didn’t Byrne play a season in the Eridivisie as well? He should be in good shape as a footballer and a person for playing abroad imo.

I am also inclined to feel that McCarthys early departure could be a blessing as he can quickly shake of the shackles of being McCarthy’s man from Ireland, and as well as he clearly gets on with McCarthy, Mick’s style of football is probably not to Jack’s benefit overall or particularly suited to him.

If he doesn’t succeed at Apoel there will be very few mitigating circumstances or excuses and I feel it will be more the case that he just isn’t up to scratch, but I don’t think that’ll be the case and believe it remains an excellent move.
    Good point! I think myself that the sudden change in manager can be downheartening for a player who has just signed. I hope the new manager will be openminded to signings of previous coaching staff. It could be unsettling initially but hopefully then his ability will see him in to the first 11.

I vaguely remember I think it was Padraig Staunton signing for PNE by Moyes and days later Moyes took the Everton job and Staunton was immediately out in the cold, loaned out (Leonidas FC?) and then ended up back at Dundalk and ultimately in GAA. It was a strange one as Dundalk didnt get a fee in the end as the new manager at PNE stopped outstanding transfers but something like player registration had changed hands so Staunton was hence a PNE player. DFC officials travelled over to try and sort it out but its never been down as a transfer fee in for Dundalk. Im open to correction on details there if any Dundalk fans happen to know what the complications were - maybe he wasnt on a contract that demanded a fee and it would have been a goodwill fee or something!? Im pretty sure Dundalk were told to get lost though!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    You can argue the case it either way, but a manager suddenly leaving can often be a real problem for a player - a new manager could take a dislike to you and you're frozen out entirely.

Wouldn't be entirely confident this is good news for him. But sure we'll we see how it goes I guess. I know the Cypriot league is unstable, but I don't think anyone expected Mick to be sacked quite that quickly!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    You can argue the case it either way, but a manager suddenly leaving can often be a real problem for a player - a new manager could take a dislike to you and you're frozen out entirely.

Wouldn't be entirely confident this is good news for him. But sure we'll we see how it goes I guess. I know the Cypriot league is unstable, but I don't think anyone expected Mick to be sacked quite that quickly!
    Oh yeah agreed 100% and I wouldn’t be sure it’s good news myself, just equally unsure it’s particularly bad news.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Yeah, that's fair for sure.

Worst case scenario is I'm sure Rovers would take him back. Though it's not great for the LoI to be seen to be taking back too many of its transfers (McMillan, Boyle, Hoban, Burke, McEleney) cos it makes it hard to argue for a decent fee in future.

But he's a decent player who can do a job more than pretty much any LoI player of the last few years

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Good point! I think myself that the sudden change in manager can be downheartening for a player who has just signed. I hope the new manager will be openminded to signings of previous coaching staff. It could be unsettling initially but hopefully then his ability will see him in to the first 11.

I vaguely remember I think it was Padraig Staunton signing for PNE by Moyes and days later Moyes took the Everton job and Staunton was immediately out in the cold, loaned out (Leonidas FC?) and then ended up back at Dundalk and ultimately in GAA. It was a strange one as Dundalk didnt get a fee in the end as the new manager at PNE stopped outstanding transfers but something like player registration had changed hands so Staunton was hence a PNE player. DFC officials travelled over to try and sort it out but its never been down as a transfer fee in for Dundalk. Im open to correction on details there if any Dundalk fans happen to know what the complications were - maybe he wasnt on a contract that demanded a fee and it would have been a goodwill fee or something!? Im pretty sure Dundalk were told to get lost though!
    Think I might have heard about this one. Is this Steve Stauntons brother by any chance?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts

Yeah Jack played in Holland before cant remember the club though?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Nephew and to my knowledge went from Maiden City straight to Sheff Utd where he has had a couple of loans. Only played junior football here apart from the loan at Derry.
    Thats mad this. How long ago did Stephen play for Derry City ? Is it early noughties by any chance?

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Aaron Dobbs back at LTFC after a year at Shels. Not too sure why to be honest. He didn't do much in the First Division in his last spell.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Thats mad this. How long ago did Stephen play for Derry City ? Is it early noughties by any chance?
    Played for Derry twice. Also played for Harps and Sligo. Bit of a cult hero around Finn Park too, where he played 2007 and 2008 seasons.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    Aaron Dobbs back at LTFC after a year at Shels. Not too sure why to be honest. He didn't do much in the First Division in his last spell.
    Didn't score a goal all last season for Shels either.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    He's still young maybe he'll come good yet. Won't be holding my breath though.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Oh yeah agreed 100% and I wouldn’t be sure it’s good news myself, just equally unsure it’s particularly bad news.
    I agree with this. With Apoel appointing their FIFTEENTH manager since 2015 today, it’s likely that Byrne would’ve been aware that it would be unlikely Mick would be the only manager he played under out there. Granted he obviously would’ve expected to have played more than 5 minutes under Mick but still. As said in the thread by someone, his ability should see him get a run in the team at some stage and if he performs well then he will build his reputation in Cyprus

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Think I might have heard about this one. Is this Steve Stauntons brother by any chance?
    Yup the youngest lad. Had bags of potential, like Steve but with some more pace - never got the breaks going for him at key times and packed it in for intermediate club gaelic football in Louth....

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    I agree with this. With Apoel appointing their FIFTEENTH manager since 2015 today, it’s likely that Byrne would’ve been aware that it would be unlikely Mick would be the only manager he played under out there. Granted he obviously would’ve expected to have played more than 5 minutes under Mick but still. As said in the thread by someone, his ability should see him get a run in the team at some stage and if he performs well then he will build his reputation in Cyprus
    There is so much about the origins of money in the Cypriot league that is said to be dodge, paying off managers could help launder a few quid... If they were in lockdown they'd be getting desperate as gate income often came in at much higher than ticket sales and attendances, lots of cash on the gate paid to get in, premium hospitality tickets given out... and its tip of the iceberg!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    John Mountney has signed for Pats.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCSIL View Post
    John Mountney has signed for Pats.
    Happy with that, been rumoured for a while so wonder why it took so long to make it official.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    He didn't do much for Shels either and I wouldn't have been convinced much would have changed for next season at a lower level. Still young enough to improve so good move for him and for Shels
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Page 21 of 77 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast