Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    I resent that remark
    lol wait 'til gary rogers is tempted out of retirement by o'donnell

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boynemunich View Post
    Didn't play much at Shels last year but Morris got nothing out of a talented squad so won't read too much into that. Was Harps POTY the previous year which is more encouraging. Squads nearly finished now bar a backup GK and maybe one more outfield player. Great to get the business done so early.
    Yeah he won the Dublin Supporters club player of the year at Harps.
    Good signing for Drogheda. Just didn't click for him at Shels for whatever reason but a good player and a top pro.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    he's welcome back in oriel anytime! he could be joining st pats as part of his retirement!
    Players usually sign for Rovers AFTER they retire

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Yeah he won the Dublin Supporters club player of the year at Harps.
    Good signing for Drogheda. Just didn't click for him at Shels for whatever reason but a good player and a top pro.
    Yeah from his two spells with us I always rated DOR. Im disappointed that we didnt try to make a move for him. It must be such a shambles at Shels that DOR went to Drogheda.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    Waterford have been linked with Gearóid Morrissey, not sure what to make of it.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    I'll repeat again as a Shels fan who watched all of our games last season that O'Reilly was very poor for us and it was nothing to do with Morris or our overall shambles as Luke Byrne, Dan Byrne and a makeshift Oscar Brennan all played better at centre back with their own poor moments. He was signed as Derek Prendergast's replacement and he was no Derek Prendergast who we badly missed last season, looks like signed again as a replacement for him. Between the Deegan signing I'm confident the writing is on the wall for Drogheda next season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    DFC confirm Mountney, Corcoran , Oduwa all left the club and finely get around to saying a brief all the best to Hoare and Gannon add Rogers retirement in as well.
    I guess this means they are at least talking to everyone else.
    Only maybe two starters in the above list so if everyone else signs back that is a pretty strong team for next year

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    Darryl Murphy is the second player to sign for Waterford. Didn’t set the league alight by any means in the tail end of the 2020 season. But hopefully a injury free preseason and Darryl has a good impact. Nonetheless it’ll be great to have his experience around the younger lads.

Two others from last season’s squad have reportedly signed also but there hasn’t been an official announcement as of yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    DFC confirm Mountney, Corcoran , Oduwa all left the club and finely get around to saying a brief all the best to Hoare and Gannon add Rogers retirement in as well.
    I guess this means they are at least talking to everyone else.
    Only maybe two starters in the above list so if everyone else signs back that is a pretty strong team for next year
    It will depend on who we get in as replacements, but first 3 def not starters, regardless if Rogers had stayed, new no 1 GK was coming, as much as I would have kep Hoare, he had slipped down the pecking order. As for Gannon, he's a huge loss and insulting to only offer him 12 month deal.

Reports locally at the weekend were saying Duffy will sign back, and also Gartland had already, nothing of course confirmed, and updates from dfc.com/twitter is like getting blood out of a stone.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    It will depend on who we get in as replacements, but first 3 def not starters, regardless if Rogers had stayed, new no 1 GK was coming, as much as I would have kep Hoare, he had slipped down the pecking order. As for Gannon, he's a huge loss and insulting to only offer him 12 month deal.

Reports locally at the weekend were saying Duffy will sign back, and also Gartland had already, nothing of course confirmed, and updates from dfc.com/twitter is like getting blood out of a stone.
    Is it possible that Dundalk got the best out of Gannon already, given that he's been there several years? I know he's only 29 and should be at his peak, but he was well off the pace anytime I saw him this year. Beaten a lot more to crosses by wingers etc. Nesta mentioned on another thread that a good idea would be to try for more Euro-tpe signings like Colovic. I second that. Both Dundalk and Rovers should start casting their net towards similar teams in Europa League that might have players out of contract/cheap enough. Surely they'd be a step-up from doing the rounds of the lower leagues in England for out-of-contract players once again.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CorribsideSteve View Post
    Is it possible that Dundalk got the best out of Gannon already, given that he's been there several years? I know he's only 29 and should be at his peak, but he was well off the pace anytime I saw him this year. Beaten a lot more to crosses by wingers etc. Nesta mentioned on another thread that a good idea would be to try for more Euro-tpe signings like Colovic. I second that. Both Dundalk and Rovers should start casting their net towards similar teams in Europa League that might have players out of contract/cheap enough. Surely they'd be a step-up from doing the rounds of the lower leagues in England for out-of-contract players once again.
    There are a couple of snags to the Coloivif Euro-type signing theory:

1) He has been inconsistent and has hardly set the league on fire so far
    2) As fans we obviously have no informed idea of cost - some suggest that he is on a 2 year super deal, and few argue that he is an obvious low-cost value for money player

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    There are a couple of snags to the Coloivif Euro-type signing theory:

1) He has been inconsistent and has hardly set the league on fire so far
    2) As fans we obviously have no informed idea of cost - some suggest that he is on a 2 year super deal, and few argue that he is an obvious low-cost value for money player
    Sure, I accept that, but, how many Euro-types have they tried outside of him? Adorjan and a few others possibly? There's definitely risk to it, no disputing that, but with the financial backing they have, maybe a bit of risk-reward is worth giving a go.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Sure, I accept that, but, how many Euro-types have they tried outside of him? Adorjan and a few others possibly? There's definitely risk to it, no disputing that, but with the financial backing they have, maybe a bit of risk-reward is worth giving a go.
    Maybe that is part of the plan, but with Bungalow Bill's meddling (madness?) it's hard to know if there is a cohesive plan in place.

Kristzian Adorjan was reported to be on huge money (a big portion of which was allegedly carried by his parent club). Talented player, but it took him half a season to get to the pitch of the league and then he was gone because others controlled his contract. Hardly a formula to follow on a consistent basis?

Chevdukis or Tagbajumi were both diasters

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    I wonder is Adorján a potential signing going into the new season for the current management team? Seems to be a free agent currently anyway.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Gannon has played and done well in two Europa Leagues for Dundalk. I'm not just saying this because he's signed for this (and he has been underwhelming this year for Dundalk) but he is a step upon what we've had since he left.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    in fairness i do advocate spreading the net wider as i do believe there are quality players that wouldnt necessarily command the wages of higher rep irish lads or those from lower leagues in england (though covid football economics could cause and an adjustment there). Portuguese, some eastern european leagues among others would have a lower average player wage. problem is the risk to picking up duds is higher without protracted scouting and even then there is no guarantees. if i name checked colovic it wasnt the soundest of examples, adorjan on the other hand could have been a real success, as could colovic yet. the like might even accept shorter term deals if terms a generally better though to really tap in to that market, like everywhere else you pay for what you get. it is based mainly in hoping that p6 have something of a scouting network that could be utilised. luxembourg sides have managed to lift their standard with access to french, german players et al and they may not have to uproot family. there are some eastern european spots that make ireland/dundalk comparable tp an island paradise - irrespective of some irish club fans calling pripyat. its not a new idea, cypriot sides (with more (dodgy) resources flooded their sides with spanish players with success. that all said the core of the team needs to be kept as was over the last successful period to try and keep that driven ethic, in balance and check to the odd half assed journeyman ala our chevdukas experiment.

(for some reason i can use any caps, not just being lazy).

*i forgot about tagbajumi, but thats not hard!!
    Last edited by Nesta99; 22/12/2020 at 10:49 AM.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Ronan Coghlan to Pats and Georgie Kelly to Bohs......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    I'll take that all day. Don't like to get on the backs of players but Kelly was an absolute disaster for us, could well be a success for Bohs but Coughlan is the more talented player and suits us better.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Coughlan is a pats type of player.
    Personally think Kelly will really thrive at Boez, if they can provide him with the service.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    I'll take that all day. Don't like to get on the backs of players but Kelly was an absolute disaster for us, could well be a success for Bohs but Coughlan is the more talented player and suits us better.
    Pats winning the pre season again

Kelly was a huge disappointment at Pats, big difference in coming on as an impact sub at DFC when teams are tiring and having the responsibilty of being the starting number 9...big season for him coming up but he is no Danny Grant thats for sure

Page 14 of 77 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast