Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Promotion/Relegation Playoff: Shelbourne Vs Longford Town 15 Nov 2020

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

2020 Promotion/Relegation Playoff: Shelbourne Vs Longford Town 15 Nov 2020

How do you think this will go, they both in pretty similar runs of form.Personally I prefer Longford as its a quicker away trip as a Harps fan and there is already 3 trip to Dublin as it is(here hoping there will be away trip in 2021)
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    It's a massive thing to decide in one game, two legs is much fairer. Premier sides usually the favourites but you never know, I don't think many thought Longford would get this far so they are battle hardened and know how to eke out playoff wins. Fascinating tie and I am so damn relived we are not in it for once.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    I think Longford should take a lot of confidence in seeing what a poor Athlone side did to Shels a few weeks ago but Shels will still be favourites based on the players they have, it’s just a matter of if they perform or not. Hoping for a good game, the more drama the better so I’ll go Shels on penalties after a 2-2 draw

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Is this game a home game for Shels at Tolka Park?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nr637 View Post
    Is this game a home game for Shels at Tolka Park?
    It's at Richmond Park.
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Shels were a complete shambles against Rovers the other night, but they clearly have decent enough players to be able to overcome a 1st division side.
    If Longford can score early I wouldn't be surprised to see shels fall apart, but the longer the game goes on you'd have to assume someone like kilduff or baldy sheppard will get their act together sufficiently to get shels over the line.
    A jammy 1-nil victory for shels I think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    hopefully Longford will send Shels down but i think Shels will have enough for them.
    Confidence in shels must be shot and that is Longfords best hope. They tried to kick rovers off the park on Monday , that wont work against Longford and they cant risk going down to 10 men in a final

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    It's a massive thing to decide in one game, two legs is much fairer. Premier sides usually the favourites but you never know, I don't think many thought Longford would get this far so they are battle hardened and know how to eke out playoff wins. Fascinating tie and I am so damn relived we are not in it for once.
    It generally means the better side wins the tie but single legs is a great leveller too and there are plenty of people talking up the format due to less defensive tactics. Getting rid of the away goal advantage would also help with that mind. Regardless though, when thngs get back to normal, ye cant see UEFA et al giving up a load of games when there can be money spinners in the mix.

There is a bit more momentum for Longford imo, and Shels have to be shattered confidence wise in finding themselves in the relegation play-off on the last day - add in the cup 'run'. They were not put together on a bargain budget either and that adds to the pressure - if relegated probably the manager gone and a lot of players realising that probably this Shels side is their last football payday. Morris hasnt shown much tactical nouse and was a bit of a gamble so even if they win he could be on his bike - players get wind of that and down tools, could be why there was a bad slump including the cup game.

All that said I do think Longford have to be on their game and make chances count. Its a strange one as Shels are better equipped for the Premier Division especially if they replace ther manager. Longford could struggle to establish themselves if promoted. But I think that Longford have the better chance of winning this game. Shels have been a bit complacent (cluelessly thinking Harps didnt have in them to get out of the bottom 2), and Longford, like Harps, have been in a cut-throat battle all season. 3-1 Longford win with the 3rd goal coming late as Shels get desperate and commit everyone forward. I'd like to see Longford promoted, but I do like the away trip to Tolka, good luck to both!
    Last edited by Nesta99; 12/11/2020 at 1:14 PM.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Shels were a complete shambles against Rovers the other night, but they clearly have decent enough players to be able to overcome a 1st division side.
    If Longford can score early I wouldn't be surprised to see shels fall apart, but the longer the game goes on you'd have to assume someone like kilduff or baldy sheppard will get their act together sufficiently to get shels over the line.
    Shels didn’t have enough to overcome a first division side a couple of weeks ago

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    I dont know if any of ye read Ian Morris comments about Daire Doyle coming up to check on them last Monday ?
    I have a feeling that Shels are feeling the heat especially the mgr.
    If it was a a few weeks back I wouldnt have fancied us at all but all of a sudden Daire has an incredible team spirit going all of a sudden and Aodh Dervin is a man possessed at present!

I wont comment publically yet but I am sure people can guess my answr anyway!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    We haven't a hope. 5-0 Shels.

More seriously, I expect them to pull their collective finger out and do enough to see themselves through. But it being a one off gives us a much better chance.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    I'll be genuinely amazed if Shels are still a Premier Division club come Sunday evening. We're a horrible footballing side with the wheels coming off and a pale shadow of the team that won the First Division last season, Longford will never a get better opportunity to achieve promotion via a one leg play-off than this
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    I would prefer Longford to come up, handy away trip, if there are away trips, no harm to Shels, but they weren't a whole pile of addition this year. Hard First Division next year for whoever ends up there.

16. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Athlone didn't take too much heed of that fact
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Hope Longford can gain promotion. Its great to see Daire Doyle succeeding a management, im from the same area he grew up.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Longford are favourites for me.

Seen them against Galway and seen Shels against Athlone and I'm basing it all on those two games.
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

22. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Is this being streamed anywhere ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Yes it's on WatchLOI for free.
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

25. Thanks From:

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    Hope Longford can gain promotion. Its great to see Daire Doyle succeeding a management, im from the same area he grew up.
    I know Daire for years since he 1st played for us. Theres a famous picture of him with Aodh Dervin in 2008 season when Aodh was a ballbay. Superb picture found it in an old longford town program. Daire has proven me wrong. I was unsure earlier in the season but he obviously has the squads respect. Is Daire from Dublin 8 area D24?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    I know Daire for years since he 1st played for us. Theres a famous picture of him with Aodh Dervin in 2008 season when Aodh was a ballbay. Superb picture found it in an old longford town program. Daire has proven me wrong. I was unsure earlier in the season but he obviously has the squads respect. Is Daire from Dublin 8 area D24?
    That's just the cross of a pen away from being a glorious misspelling.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

28. Thanks From:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast