Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 158

Thread: Treaty United

  1. #101
    Seasoned Pro Nesta99's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,692
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,065
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    914
    Thanked in
    614 Posts
    Warrenpoint would be an ideal feeder club for Dundalk. Better than a Dundalk II in the 1st Division. Streamline coaching and tactic work, pick up players in their own catchment, send some of our 19s players on loan to them, share s&c staff and facilities etc to make sure they keep on target. Opportunities to play U19s against a senior side. Have some wily pros in the squad, best way to scout I.L. players. Warrenpoint relatively on the cheap get players that can keep them up. Could sneak Europe and Dundalk help with prep. Win win all round!

  2. #102
    First Team EalingGreen's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,327
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    20
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    103
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Warrenpoint would be an ideal feeder club for Dundalk. Better than a Dundalk II in the 1st Division. Streamline coaching and tactic work, pick up players in their own catchment, send some of our 19s players on loan to them, share s&c staff and facilities etc to make sure they keep on target. Opportunities to play U19s against a senior side. Have some wily pros in the squad, best way to scout I.L. players. Warrenpoint relatively on the cheap get players that can keep them up. Could sneak Europe and Dundalk help with prep. Win win all round!
    Ideal for Dundalk maybe, but I could see three major problem areas which should (imo) prohibit this.

    The first is regulatory. What happens if eg something goes wrong at Point, meaning the IFA needs to take action? They could end up punishing them, while the real "culprit" is over the border in Dundalk, so can't be touched. Indeed, if the punishment (fine?) was sufficiently severe, DFC could simply walk away, leaving Point to suffer it.

    The next concerns conflicts of interest eg Point need players in the second half of the IL season to fight a relegation battle, but DFC need to sign players to boost their squad at the start of their new season. Who gets priority?

    And finally, what happens if, say, Point aren't producing the benefits which DFC required? DFC could pull the plug, take all the best players and coaches with them and leave Point in the brown stuff.

    Which is not to say that two clubs like that couldn't co-operate over matters of mutual interest, but it needs to be at arms length, with transparent boundaries in place.

  3. #103
    International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Killashee Longford
    Posts
    8,545
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4,853
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    578
    Thanked in
    491 Posts
    I saw Warrenpoint play us in a friendly in Longford a few years back. I am not sure what the link was at the time but there should be more friendlies between loi sides and NI league sides. Like I was in Cliftonvilles ground last season(2019) for friendly new ground to tick off for example!
    Daire Doyles red and black army

  4. #104
    Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    18,265
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,815
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5,209
    Thanked in
    3,299 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    I saw Warrenpoint play us in a friendly in Longford a few years back. I am not sure what the link was at the time but there should be more friendlies between loi sides and NI league sides. Like I was in Cliftonvilles ground last season(2019) for friendly new ground to tick off for example!
    There are a few link-ups like that. Sligo play Ballinamallard every year or two, and Rovers had more plans for friendlies with Cliftonville that ended up not working out. Dundalk have played a few different IL clubs in friendlies too, as it probably suits both sides with distance to Belfast half that of Dublin to Belfast (and we all know the NI teams don't like to travel).

  5. Thanks From:


  6. #105
    Capped Player nigel-harps1954's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    Location
    On a dodgy bus
    Posts
    11,406
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,711
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,393
    Thanked in
    1,982 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    There are a few link-ups like that. Sligo play Ballinamallard every year or two, and Rovers had more plans for friendlies with Cliftonville that ended up not working out. Dundalk have played a few different IL clubs in friendlies too, as it probably suits both sides with distance to Belfast half that of Dublin to Belfast (and we all know the NI teams don't like to travel).
    Harps and Derry would play preseason and mid season friendlies against Irish League sides every year too.

  7. Thanks From:


  8. #106
    First Team EalingGreen's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,327
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    20
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    103
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    In the Irish League, tiny clubs like Institute and Warrenpoint get to the top tier by virtue of the fact that the gap between intermediate and senior football there isn't all that big. They then add nothing to the top level in reality
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/northern-ireland/55117820

    YeeHaa!

    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    (no fans, no appeal etc),
    Trust me, they had the fans of 10 other teams firmly behind them yesterday!)

  9. #107
    Seasoned Pro Kingdom's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Teeing off
    Posts
    4,251
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4,515
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    702
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Yep. And that's something that's effectively never been there before (or even now). The First Division is the Graveyard for a reason.
    Is it a fair point to make, that in the IL the transport/overnight costs aren't significant (given the relative small distances between clubs), compated to the LoI?

    For example. Warrenpoint and Coleraine are probably the two furthest apart IL clubs? Which is about 3 hours drive taking it easy. In a pyramid LoI, you've the potential then to have a very low-cost amateur/semi pro Kerry side, travelling to Finn Harps. That's an overnight and the expense associated with the travel. Of course that's a once-off, but if you're in a league with Buncrana, Harps, Monaghan, and Castlebar say, that racks up quickly.

    The alternative is a regionalised first division. Would that work - is there the interest there?
    That's what I love about these high school girls, man. I get older, they stay the same age

  10. #108
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    31,985
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,625
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,298
    Thanked in
    2,015 Posts
    Well that's part of the reason why I'd favour a regionalised First Division (in fact, I've suggested before doing away with the FD and making the LSL/MSL/USL/CSL the de facto First Divisions, with a larger Premier to compensate)

    Again, I don't think it's a silver bullet, but you have to encourage clubs to step up somehow.

  11. Thanks From:


  12. #109
    Seasoned Pro Kingdom's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Teeing off
    Posts
    4,251
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4,515
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    702
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Well that's part of the reason why I'd favour a regionalised First Division (in fact, I've suggested before doing away with the FD and making the LSL/MSL/USL/CSL the de facto First Divisions, with a larger Premier to compensate)

    Again, I don't think it's a silver bullet, but you have to encourage clubs to step up somehow.
    That's a fair point too. I've heard commentary, anecodotal stuff, about the money floating around certain LSL clubs anyway - not necessarily top tier LSL clubs either.
    That's what I love about these high school girls, man. I get older, they stay the same age

  13. #110
    First Team EalingGreen's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,327
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    20
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    103
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Harps and Derry would play preseason and mid season friendlies against Irish League sides every year too.
    Even at Junior level, you get a lot of players from the border counties* who cross over to play in NI. And the same happens further up the pyramid, right up to Senior level. (Unsure whether it goes the other way).

    Though when I say "cross over", they don't always seem to take the most direct route, if their (ahem) "petrol expenses" claims are any guide.


    * - I remember hearing that Shay Given's father played against Roy Carroll's father (both goalkeepers themselves) in the Fermanagh & Western League back in the day, for example.

  14. Thanks From:


  15. #111
    International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    5,531
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    873
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    238
    Thanked in
    133 Posts
    https://twitter.com/TreatyUnitedFC/s...58054138499073 - all systems, if not exactly at go, are certainly being primed! And I for one am pleased at this development.
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

  16. Thanks From:


  17. #112
    Seasoned Pro NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Gouldavoher
    Posts
    4,423
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    238
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    654
    Thanked in
    453 Posts
    Another step in the road. Anyone have any idea when licenses will be announced?
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

  18. #113
    Seasoned Pro CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3,994
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,015
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    759
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid View Post
    https://twitter.com/TreatyUnitedFC/s...58054138499073 - all systems, if not exactly at go, are certainly being primed! And I for one am pleased at this development.
    SLK, before you know it we'll be back in the game leaning on the wall frozen with the cold, head in our hands at the touches on them, happily questioning why we f**kin bother, it'll be great.

  19. Thanks From:


  20. #114
    International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    5,531
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    873
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    238
    Thanked in
    133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    SLK, before you know it we'll be back in the game leaning on the wall frozen with the cold, head in our hands at the touches on them, happily questioning why we f**kin bother, it'll be great.
    I can hardly wait!
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

  21. #115
    Capped Player nigel-harps1954's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    Location
    On a dodgy bus
    Posts
    11,406
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,711
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,393
    Thanked in
    1,982 Posts
    I wonder how the other applications are going, whether or not we'll see movement from the Irish Sea..or other associated invitees.

  22. #116
    Seasoned Pro NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Gouldavoher
    Posts
    4,423
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    238
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    654
    Thanked in
    453 Posts
    It's been too long since local media in Limerick has had a chance to ignore a brutal on-pitch display because of a few curse words were heard from the stands.

    But who will provide the half-time gift to away supporters? I hope that's in the licensing application.

  23. #117
    Youth Team Kiki Balboa's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Location
    In the shadow realm
    Posts
    112
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    5
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    31
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    I wonder how the other applications are going, whether or not we'll see movement from the Irish Sea..or other associated invitees.

    After the initial novelty of it, I think the Irish Sea thing is wearing pretty thin. Pretty obvious if they somehow join the league, they will be gone in a few years. No thanks. Pretty disrespectful.

  24. #118
    International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Killashee Longford
    Posts
    8,545
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4,853
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    578
    Thanked in
    491 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Another step in the road. Anyone have any idea when licenses will be announced?
    Does Early Jan sound about right?
    Daire Doyles red and black army

  25. #119
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,218
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    392
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    409
    Thanked in
    241 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Anyone have any idea when licenses will be announced?
    Probably a week after the new season starts.

    #GLITW

  26. #120
    Seasoned Pro NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Gouldavoher
    Posts
    4,423
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    238
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    654
    Thanked in
    453 Posts
    POS' Limerick also allowed to proceed: https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-39845322.html

    I presume they must be putting Jackman down as their ground then? Or is he hoping Treaty's application fails and that it'll be OK for him to put down Market's Field?
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

  27. Thanks From:


Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. ET: In Pictures: Treaty United 0-7 Shelbourne
    By Foot.ie in forum Football Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 14/10/2020, 8:50 AM
  2. ET: FAI Cup Preview: Treaty United -v- DLR Waves
    By Foot.ie in forum Football Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03/10/2020, 6:40 AM
  3. ET: WNL Report: Peamount United 5-0 Treaty United
    By Foot.ie in forum Football Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09/08/2020, 1:20 PM
  4. ET: WNL Preview: Peamount United -v- Treaty United
    By Foot.ie in forum Football Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07/08/2020, 8:00 PM
  5. Treaty United (WNL)
    By NeverFeltBetter in forum Women's Football
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 29/07/2020, 6:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •