Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Treaty United

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts
    Kind of like the names Treaty and Yola. In fairness they aren't much worse than the Irish clichés like Shamrock and St. Patrick's.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    (And yes, I know Yola's a dialect. Can't throw a stone over a wall in some parts of Wexford without hitting a distant cousin.)
    Then stop throwing the stones you mentalist!
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

3. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    But the point is - they never are sustainable. Kildare County, Sporting Fingal, St Francis, St James's Gate, Monaghan Town, Kilkenny City, NewcastleWest, Thurles Town, Home Farm, Mervue United, Salthill Devon etc etc etc. All joined the league, all had very limited support, and all ended up being unsustainable. The only clubs to join in the last 40 years that have remained in existence consistently are Derry, Cork, Bray and Longford. The first 3 all have large populations. And all 4 had a certain level of actual or potential support from within their community from before they joined to tap into (Longford had cup runs in the 1960s etc). Cobh is a great wee football town - but even they crashed out of the league for a few years because things just weren't working out.

And it's wrong to say that it doesn't harm the league when clubs join and fold, as it really does. It makes us look like a joke shop of a league and a financial mess. And it doubtless deters other clubs from joining when they see what a revolving door of failure the LOI is.
    Cobh a small town with limited support, and this year with no fans at all has turned a profit!

It’s about how clubs are managed off the field if they fail or succeed! Cork city had min 2000 fans and high transfer fees received and still ran in to financial troubles!

Should be no reason a club can’t be a part time club in the 1st division playing games on a Saturday evening can’t break even every year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    Can't throw a stone over a wall in some parts of Wexford without hitting a distant cousin.)
    We get it, Wexfordians are inbred as hell.

6. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    And that's before you consider the implications of Bástardstown and Horetown.

8. Thanks From:

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    To veer dangerously close to the original topic, I wouldn't be alone I'd say in having absolutely zero interest in supporting anything involving the ammoral, blithering POS who ran the previous iteration of the club into the ground.

It really is Treaty or bust for senior football in Limerick at the moment, the stench off the corpse of Limerick FC is gone beyond hiding.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid View Post
    To veer dangerously close to the original topic, I wouldn't be alone I'd say in having absolutely zero interest in supporting anything involving the ammoral, blithering POS who ran the previous iteration of the club into the ground.

It really is Treaty or bust for senior football in Limerick at the moment, the stench off the corpse of Limerick FC is gone beyond hiding.
    Who are the people behind Treaty United? Is it fans of the previous Limerick club, new investors or peple from a junior club looking to step up?

My guess is since Treaty United have a team in WNL (and a bit of buzz around them) they are in a prime position to enter the league.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    Kind of like the names Treaty and Yola. In fairness they aren't much worse than the Irish clichés like Shamrock and St. Patrick's.
    I've personally been surprised for years that there aren't major clubs in England named 'St George's Dragons' and 'Red Rose Rovers'.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. football View Post
    Cobh a small town with limited support, and this year with no fans at all has turned a profit!

It’s about how clubs are managed off the field if they fail or succeed! Cork city had min 2000 fans and high transfer fees received and still ran in to financial troubles!

Should be no reason a club can’t be a part time club in the 1st division playing games on a Saturday evening can’t break even every year.
    Have Cobh really completed their annual accounts already ? What sort of financial year do they run on ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    I've personally been surprised for years that there aren't major clubs in England named 'St George's Dragons' and 'Red Rose Rovers'.
    or the Welsh with Leek United or Daffodil FC, Scots have form with Celtic, Hibs and a very slightly dyslexic mixed Irish-Scots effort with Partick Thistle. Dont know what Conn Murray is thinking being involved in this, though his time as County Manager of LouthCoCo and Limerick City wouldnt inspire! The people behind Treaty FC maybe waiting or hoping for Limerick FC to disappear and then rebrand!?

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    Who are the people behind Treaty United? Is it fans of the previous Limerick club, new investors or peple from a junior club looking to step up?

My guess is since Treaty United have a team in WNL (and a bit of buzz around them) they are in a prime position to enter the league.
    I believe (and I'm open to correction) that there's a few different minds behind Treaty United and that at least a couple of them expressed an interest in getting involved in the Limerick FC circus only to be turned off by the... eh... rancid smell of the whole organisation as it wound to collapse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    But there are teams like Arsenal, named for a munitions factory in Woolwich in South London and Crystal Palace, named for a giant green house that burned down twice.

17. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    Albion's about it as far as jingoistic names go in England. Hotspur. Plymouth Argyle apparently named for a Scottish regiment stationed there at one point. But, hey, don't go giving them any ideas ... We wouldn't be too far from Brighton Brexiteers, Rorke's Drift Rotherham, Stoke Spitfires...
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

19. Thanks From:

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    The people behind Treaty FC maybe waiting or hoping for Limerick FC to disappear and then rebrand!?
    I'd say that's exactly it. I see a lot of people getting hung up on the name, but it's not something I'd consider a dealbreaker.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Treaty United were set up as a sort of lifeboat for people that were involved with Limerick FC before pat stopped paying people

The coaching staff from underage up to senior was basically copy pasted across from Limerick FC. Some good people, some people I don't know anything about and some people that I wouldn't have in the way personally.

At board level you've got Con Murray who might suprise me and be good for something but I doubt it, Dave mahedy is knocking around there somewhere which is good as it's a link to ul, a couple of fellas from the trust, various women's football people and a few people that I don't know who they are.

On the name they originally tried to call themselves Limerick United without checking who owned the name (it was Pat O'Sullivan) so in a panic it was changed to treaty United and they've been putting the word around the place that the reason is pat o sullivan owns the word Limerick. Which is of course complete and utter ****** designed to cover day ones mistake.

Which isn't a great start we're a half an hour out of Limerick FC and already the arse covering and spoof spreading begins.

I'm also skeptical enough because of some of the people still involved and the apparent complete lack of anyone with proper money.

But the first division is crap everyone gets a go at the playoffs and there's enough ex Limerick FC players knocking around the league that should come back for cheap.

It's going to be Tommy Barrett managing Tommy Barretts team in the first division.

Vive la revolution!!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    But there are teams like Arsenal, named for a munitions factory in Woolwich in South London and Crystal Palace, named for a giant green house that burned down twice.
    Crystal Palace and Arsenal aren't exactly English cultural clichés though. Shelbourne and Bohs have unusual names too, but they haven't been mentioned in this discussion - as neither of them are Irish clichés.

What Ireland really needs in a new club is AFC Leprauchan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Crystal Palace and Arsenal aren't exactly English cultural clichés though. Shelbourne and Bohs have unusual names too, but they haven't been mentioned in this discussion - as neither of them are Irish clichés.

But Micheal D was Galway chairman...
    Aon, dó, trí, bhí mé i mo luí, thit mé den leaba, he! he! he!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts

I dunno, England and war have tended to go hand in hand throughout history. I think extratime beat me to that joke by a couple of weeks though.

I also wish we would spend less time comparing ourselves to England. There are plenty of leagues out there to draw inspiration from, and we can continue to develop our own culture. I see no issue with names like Treaty United, even if it wouldn't be my first choice.

I'll develop an opinion on Irish Sea FC when we learn more about them, for now I am pessimistic about their potential for success.

25. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    I dunno, England and war have tended to go hand in hand throughout history. I think extratime beat me to that joke by a couple of weeks though.

I also wish we would spend less time comparing ourselves to England. There are plenty of leagues out there to draw inspiration from, and we can continue to develop our own culture. I see no issue with names like Treaty United, even if it wouldn't be my first choice.

I'll develop an opinion on Irish Sea FC when we learn more about them, for now I am pessimistic about their potential for success.
    Treaty United sounds like the sort of name you'd find in a US Soccer team at the third or fourth tier there.

They will 100% change it to something else including Limerick. Guaranteed. It's just not a good name for Irish football.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Is it really that important?

Dublin City was hardly a good name for Irish football either.

Though I do agree that if they are successful, they will change to Limerick something alright.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast