Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Champagne Football

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts

Champagne Football

Mark Tighe's compilation of stories about how Delaney was an incompetent ***** is out today.

Anyone pre-order a copy?

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Mark Tighe's compilation of stories about how Delaney was an incompetent ***** is out today.

Anyone pre-order a copy?
    Yes.

Do you want a synopsis?

I'll send it by DM to you...............

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    Full book doing the rounds on WhatsApp.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    People acting the ***** over a book about how much of a ***** Delaney was. Bit ironic that.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lilywhites View Post
    Full book doing the rounds on WhatsApp.
    Bad form really. Book probably only costs 15 quid.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    341 Posts
    I've seen di**heads on twitter saying the author deserves it for and I'll quote ''ruining John Delaneys life''..............
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    People that pre ordered the book over the past few months, as far back as May, only had their books dispatched this evening, so will be another day or two (possibly Monday for some where there's no Saturday post) before it's delivered.

Would have been better off buying it in stores today!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Bad form really. Book probably only costs 15 quid.
    I just bought it on the kindle for a few pennies over ten pounds sterling. It'll go straight on top of the (virtual) reading stack!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    407 Posts
    Anyone who's sending the book around for free needs to wise the fcuk up. Ignoring for a minute the fact that it's an illegal breach of copyright, if books get passed on free like that - especially within minutes of going on sale - no-one will ever write them. As it just won't be worth the considerable effort that's involved.

The two lads who wrote this book exposed the FAI for the utter shambles that it is, and brought Delaney down. Rightly so. If it hadn't been for them, there's a serious chance he'd still be involved with the FAI - bleeding it dry for his own benefit and destroying the game from the inside. They deserve a book payday for the public service they did in exposing the utter crook.

So if someone sends you a pirate copy, please don't be a dick and pass it on. And if someone offers you one, refuse it and tell them they're a dick for doing so. Otherwise there's a real risk that this sort of behaviour will go unexposed in future (at least to its full extent). Why would anyone bother to put the effort into books again in the future if they get ripped off and sold for free the minute they're published?

12. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    407 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Yes.

Do you want a synopsis?

I'll send it by DM to you...............
    We all know what you mean by this Ezekial.

Don't be a dick.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    We all know what you mean by this Ezekial.

Don't be a dick.
    It is clear to me that you haven't got a scooby.

I also suggest you speak for yourself and not for others

You should withdraw your thinly disguised slur
    Last edited by Ezeikial; 18/09/2020 at 2:00 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    Well as both a word of warning and a challange to see how far readers get before being p!ssed off - I made it as far as P2 of the Prologue before feeling a bit nauseated (p1 rolling of eyes). By p3 I seriously wanted to puke - regardless of who footed the bill for that 50th birthday party it was the cheesiest load of bull sh*t. Pukeworthy in its faux celebrity and self importantce. Dunno how i will get through the bits that had a direct and lasting impact on the game. Anything throwable is out of reach!! It's a super read and even with the dodgy copies mentioned doing the rounds, the bookshop said they were on their 3rd delivery of copies in 2 days and that they were all on order and not able to meet general demand.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    I take it you mean all that as a compliment btw?!

It's an unusual compliment, but I guess it is an unusual subject.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    Mine arrived today, looking forward to getting nice and angry.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I take it you mean all that as a compliment btw?!

It's an unusual compliment, but I guess it is an unusual subject.
    Me? The book is excellent so far, a page turner, and considering that most people will know the bulk of the info already. From the perspective of anyone who loves the game, especially LoI and the emotional rollercoaster that goes with, its frustrating and infuriating to read also. The very early description of the birthday party sets the whole thing off well, but is nausiating in reading about such tastlessness and tackiness of the night. Wouldnt matter who they were, the only thing that wasnt 'cheap' and fake was the bill!

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    So I take it that I'm not the only one who had the "can I face how annoyed/angry/miserable I get by reading this" dilemma. I'm looking forward to reading it but I think I'll have to take long breaks where I have to put it down for my own good.

22. Thanks From:

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Yeah Mark Tighe was on Game on and off the ball last night. Hes an excellent journalist and takes no prisoners. Read small extracts from the book serialised in the Sun monday and tuesday of this week. It looks like a fantastic read! Tempted to buy it but will hold off for a while but will come in handy when theres nothing to do on xmas day!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Just heard Mark Tighe on Radio Foyle. He said the tip off about the Delaney loan was from an anonymous envelope left on his PC. I wonder is that journalistic speak for a man in a dark alley with a deep voice informed me...
    Aon, dó, trí, bhí mé i mo luí, thit mé den leaba, he! he! he!

25. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    Hadnt heard that but interesting. With the way that JD ran to the courts on everything, I wonder how anonymous that really is? So who in his newspaper would have had access to both offices and the lowdown on FAI backroom dealing - thats a sequel in itself! There are bits of info that ive either forgotten or a bit more light shed on them from Joe Delaney days. I dont think there's need for spoiler alerts but one nugget that made me laugh was the players nicknaming JD as 'Yorkie', yards of fun could have been had with that!! I always took Joe Delaney as a shady character himself but he sounds more daft that anything here. The whole 'George the Greek' tout running off with tickets seemed all too convenient, yet he was stung for covering the balance with his own money and it appears that was genuinely upset when forced to resign believing that he was a bit of a fallguy. I must dig out some of the other books that addressed the FAI ticketing scandals. Its like Tighe and Rowan are making a case for JDs motives!?

27. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Hadnt heard that but interesting. With the way that JD ran to the courts on everything, I wonder how anonymous that really is? So who in his newspaper would have had access to both offices and the lowdown on FAI backroom dealing - thats a sequel in itself! There are bits of info that ive either forgotten or a bit more light shed on them from Joe Delaney days. I dont think there's need for spoiler alerts but one nugget that made me laugh was the players nicknaming JD as 'Yorkie', yards of fun could have been had with that!! I always took Joe Delaney as a shady character himself but he sounds more daft that anything here. The whole 'George the Greek' tout running off with tickets seemed all too convenient, yet he was stung for covering the balance with his own money and it appears that was genuinely upset when forced to resign believing that he was a bit of a fallguy. I must dig out some of the other books that addressed the FAI ticketing scandals. Its like Tighe and Rowan are making a case for JDs motives!?
    There is absolutely a very good reason why the first chapter is called "Sins Of The Father" as it was Delaney's primary motivation for getting into the higher echelons of the FAI initially. The "I'll show them" mentality and settling grudges and scores as he was 100% adamant his auld lad was screwed over, which of course he wasn't. It wasn't just the tickets from USA 94 that did Delaney snr in in the night of the long knives.

Was rared on being told first hand experience of a lot of the FAI stories over the years, just bear in mind when reading that what's on paper in the book are only those that cleared legal before publishing!

29. Thanks From:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast