Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Who is going to win the 2021 League

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    But what are we looking for here, in terms of tv coverage (separate to WatchLOI)

1/ For either RTE / VM to offer to show games lives?

2/ For a deal for either, and for the first time have an actual contract in place that directly benefits the clubs?

I know option 1 prob most realistic, as clubs regardless of any previous deal with FAI/RTE effectively got zero for live games, the only benefit was promotion of the game / and existing ground sponsors to get more profile.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Yeah Im surprised VM wasnt never approached. If they dont get it I would like to see them host goals roundup on Monday nights like they did with Trevor Welch all these yrs ago. They always did a way better job than RTE imo but suppose its FAIs call?
    Lads if RTE/ Virgin etc saw a market for LOI they would snap it up in a flash, its just not there.

Whether we like it or not LOI is way don't the list for most Irish sports fans. RTE, Virgin etc are not in the promoting LOI business they are in the profit making business
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

3. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Harsh but fair.

Club streaming worked well for the FD last year in fairness. OK, the standard was a bit variable (but generally very watchable, all things considered) and it's more effort (and cost) to throw it back onto the clubs. The flip side is they have control and can charge themselves. Did clubs make anything off WatchLoI last year?

It's not ideal of course - nothing in covid is - but as a fall back, I think clubs taking over their own streaming is fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    The only money the clubs "made" was in terms of season ticket holders not looking for refunds as they were able to be compensated with a watchloi pass.
    Also to a certain extent keeping sponsors happy as they still got limited coverage.

I think id be happier with the clubs doing it themselves , i guarantee the clubs will get better deals locally than the FAI were able to and it will provide a possible source of revenue and allow fans to buy season tickets to support their teams.

6. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    The only money the clubs "made" was in terms of season ticket holders not looking for refunds as they were able to be compensated with a watchloi pass.
    Also to a certain extent keeping sponsors happy as they still got limited coverage.

I think id be happier with the clubs doing it themselves , i guarantee the clubs will get better deals locally than the FAI were able to and it will provide a possible source of revenue and allow fans to buy season tickets to support their teams.
    The thing about each club doing it themselves is possibly 10 different sites/apps etc need, 20 if you want to watch both division games. Needing to setup accounts register etc to each one & probably different prices and video format systems required That what I liked most about Watch LOI on site for all 10 premier clubs same price for each club
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    The FD games were generally streamed on YouTube with a link to a donate site for an optional donation. I think Longford's stream was the only one that required registration

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neish View Post
    The thing about each club doing it themselves is possibly 10 different sites/apps etc need, 20 if you want to watch both division games. Needing to setup accounts register etc to each one & probably different prices and video format systems required That what I liked most about Watch LOI on site for all 10 premier clubs same price for each club
    Fair point but i think most of the hardcore will buy the home streams and then dip in and out of away matches

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts

PP Odds 2021 LOI

Premier:
    Shams 5/6
    Dundalk 23/10
    Bohs 13/2
    Pats 11/1
    Sligo 18/1
    33/1 and better bar those.
    https://www.paddypower.com/football/...?tab=outrights

First:
    Shels 5/4
    Galway 5/2
    Bray 8/1
    Cork & UCD 9/1
    Athlone 16/1
    33/1 and better bar those.
    https://www.paddypower.com/football/irish-division-1

Leading Goalscorer Prem div: -
    Hoban 5/1
    McMillan 17/2
    Greene,Parkhouse,Burke 11/1
    Gaffney,Coughlan,Kelly 12/1
    OTHERS - https://www.paddypower.com/football/...?tab=outrights

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Lump on the students in Division 1 anyway. They have a knack of finding their way ouuta that division.
    Think Kelly at boez would be an outside bet for top goalscorer.
    Ian Morris to be the first manager sacked seems a decent bet, although super mario may beat him to it, if dundalks United Nations team doesn't start well.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Lump on the students in Division 1 anyway. They have a knack of finding their way ouuta that division.
    Think Kelly at boez would be an outside bet for top goalscorer.
    Ian Morris to be the first manager sacked seems a decent bet, although super mario may beat him to it, if dundalks United Nations team doesn't start well.
    If Kelly is top scorer, Bohs will win the league, both outcomes unlikely, but slightly more likely than last season.Rovers being odds on with their two best players gone probably reflects PP not being arsed to look too closely at squads before setting odds. Sligo by far the best outside bet for me.

Agree that a toss up between Super Mario and Ian Morris for the earliest sacking. Both Bray and UCD know how to win promotion, so between them for the title, with both going up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    I think given we took one point off the entire top half of the league last season, and have lost both our captain and our top scorer since then, it's premature to look at us going up. If Galway are still going fully-pro, they should have a big advantage over others.

I do like being the same odds as Cork for the title though!

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    UCD always come up with new young players to replace those that have moved on. I don't know if they'll win the league, Shels should, but I expect they'll be in the mix.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Yeah, we should be top half; the new recruits look good and only losing two players is quite good for us.

But much and all as we improved as the season went on last year, one point from the games against the top half is a long way off title form. And we conceded way too many too.

Shels should be up there too, albeit that they underachieved last year and could easily do so again this year. I'd expect us to be behind certainly one of Galway/Shels, and probably both.

Edit - actually, we got two points off the top half, not one. Huzzah! Also dropped two points against the bottom half.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 23/02/2021 at 1:32 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    If Kelly is top scorer, Bohs will win the league, both outcomes unlikely, but slightly more likely than last season.Rovers being odds on with their two best players gone probably reflects PP not being arsed to look too closely at squads before setting odds. Sligo by far the best outside bet for me.

Agree that a toss up between Super Mario and Ian Morris for the earliest sacking. Both Bray and UCD know how to win promotion, so between them for the title, with both going up.
    I agree with this, they dont bother looking in any depth. simply put a low limit on how much you can bet solves the problem for them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Strange that have PP have Cabinteely, Cobh & Wexford behind Treaty in the betting, Treaty don't even have a team yet and I've no idea what kind of team they'll slap together in a few weeks

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    I suppose if all are basically operating on an amateur basis there's room to not be an automatic wooden spoon. They'll (we'll? Feels weird saying that) be doing well to get anywhere near mid-table really.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post

How would you price it up out of curiosity? I'm not massively confident that Rovers will win it or anything, but looking at the state of play I think that pricing looks pretty reasonable.

Byrne and McEneff are big losses, and Mandroui and McCann could go either way (although both have the potential to be good signings.) But outside of that Rovers have basically retained the squad and added Gannon and Hoare.

A lot of turnover at Bohs including losing their best player. Definitely some interesting signings with good potential but I don't see how you could really argue for them ahead of Rovers or Dundalk at this point. Very weak looking at centre half to me also.

Dundalk have also had big turnover including Rodgers, Hoare, Gannon, Massey, Flores, Oduwa and Colovic leaving. Seeing a lot of people saying 9 starters or something from the cup final are still there. That's fair enough, but they were played off the park in that game, and finished 22 points behind Rovers after 18 games. That's a lot of ground to make up. Their goalkeeper situation looks very suspect, and pretty much all the signings are major unknown quantities. Some of them will no doubt work out, but none of them are very obvious upgrades.

I understand there are so many unknowns that seeing Rovers odds on might be a bit jarring, and I certainly wouldn't be backing them at that price, but I can't really see the argument against it on paper.

20. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
    How would you price it up out of curiosity? I'm not massively confident that Rovers will win it or anything, but looking at the state of play I think that pricing looks pretty reasonable.

Byrne and McEneff are big losses, and Mandroui and McCann could go either way (although both have the potential to be good signings.) But outside of that Rovers have basically retained the squad and added Gannon and Hoare.

A lot of turnover at Bohs including losing their best player. Definitely some interesting signings with good potential but I don't see how you could really argue for them ahead of Rovers or Dundalk at this point. Very weak looking at centre half to me also.

Dundalk have also had big turnover including Rodgers, Hoare, Gannon, Massey, Flores, Oduwa and Colovic leaving. Seeing a lot of people saying 9 starters or something from the cup final are still there. That's fair enough, but they were played off the park in that game, and finished 22 points behind Rovers after 18 games. That's a lot of ground to make up. Their goalkeeper situation looks very suspect, and pretty much all the signings are major unknown quantities. Some of them will no doubt work out, but none of them are very obvious upgrades.

I understand there are so many unknowns that seeing Rovers odds on might be a bit jarring, and I certainly wouldn't be backing them at that price, but I can't really see the argument against it on paper.
    Evens /2/1 would seem reasonable for Rovers with Byrne and Mc Eneff gone. Who knows with Mandriou , we saw the best and worst of him at Bohs, dont think he is a patch on the departed two.
    Losing Danny Grant is certainly a blow to Bohs , but otherwise a very much a strengthened squad with Hery, Georgie Kelly, Feely, Tyreke, Coot, and particularly Mallon who Long seems to be raving about.
    I think it will be Rovers again, but closer than last season and a scrap between Bohs Dundalk and Sligo for second place. Hopefully we will get to to see our respective teams in the flesh by early Autumn.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Pats look to be building a decent squad and look like winning the preseason again the goalie from Liverpool and the kid from west ham as well as a few others look like they could be competitive

I cant see past Byrne and McEneff they probably scored or assisted 50% of our goals last season between them, Gannon and Hoare are decent signings but we already had the best defence in the league.
    Mandriou would need to be named PFA player of the season next year to replace Jack ....is that likely?? McCann at 33 better than the best box to box midfielder in the league last year ....hmmmm
    Dundalk have lost one first choice player Gannon who didn't have a great season for them last year and a very average keeper.
    Although after our goalkeeping nightmares before Manus came back DFC fans might look back on Rodgers fondly next season

I really really hope i'm over worrying about Byrne and McEneff but
    6/4 each Rovers DFC

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Very good piece in irish sun on treaty utd they only got confirmation at the last minute so they can only get cracking at short notice on their squad. What I found particularly interesting is that they have trouble getting the local limerick league any players they are interested in to sign a contract. They have paid employment.
    Also with Dublin County reason they couldnt get Morton was cos Athletics ground was so booked out. If they had got in Aaron Callaghan would have being manager. A person I never rated as manager but a solid no 2 considering his poor spell with us as manager!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast