Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is going to win the 2021 League

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Kelly View Post
    If they do start the league towards the of march, what are the chances they still schedule half the season in the first 2 months even though no fans present?

Just delay the start of the season & just play 3 rounds, it isn't a complicated solution
    Player contracts could get tricky!
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Daniel Mc Donnell reporting that €3.6 million offered by FAI to clubs to start the season. Seems to be weighted towards clubs on the basis of turnover. Also reporting that prize money for winning the league has almost doubled!
    Would have thought that available funds would be used to keep clubs alive rather than an additional reward for clubs who will be in receipt of europa leave/conference funding.
    Also reporting limited chances of Watch LOI operating for the whole season!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    €600,000 reported as league prize money. Affiliation fees and referee costs waived for the year.

Prize money is going to be a bone of contention too. €22,000 for finishing bottom of the Premier suggests it's not being weighted properly.

Flat fee of €215,000 per Premier Division club and €50,000 First Division, plus add ons based on applications.

It's not great, and won't be enough if we've to go through a season behind closed doors again.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    Daniel Mc Donnell reporting that €3.6 million offered by FAI to clubs to start the season. Seems to be weighted towards clubs on the basis of turnover. Also reporting that prize money for winning the league has almost doubled!
    Would have thought that available funds would be used to keep clubs alive rather than an additional reward for clubs who will be in receipt of europa leave/conference funding.
    Also reporting limited chances of Watch LOI operating for the whole season!
    Prize money doesnt need to added to the winners as they get plenty from Europe, it need to go down table. Silly mistake.

WatchLOI was fantastic for us watching abroad. I really hope they continue it. No need for commentary, or at least bringing commentators from RTE... give an option to sync with local stations or none at all. Maybe that would save money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    Prize money doesnt need to added to the winners as they get plenty from Europe, it need to go down table. Silly mistake.

WatchLOI was fantastic for us watching abroad. I really hope they continue it. No need for commentary, or at least bringing commentators from RTE... give an option to sync with local stations or none at all. Maybe that would save money.

Id say most of the clubs will offer streaming service after the learnings from last year.

I presume the money the clubs get on the wages support scheme is on top of that.
    The scheme should be open until crowds are allowed back/ economy opens up
    Last edited by sbgawa; 01/02/2021 at 4:43 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Id say most of the clubs will offer streaming service after the learnings from last year.

I presume the money the clubs get on the wages support scheme is on top of that.
    The scheme should be open until crowds are allowed back/ economy opens up
    Hopefully clubs will offer streaming if Watch LOI not available otherwise can’t see season ticket holders waiving their right to a refund as almost all did last season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Premier
    10. €22k

First
    10. €10k

Can anyone fill in the blanks for prizemoney?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Is there anything to be said for just scrapping the prize money and just distributing the money equally?

Football clubs want to win football matches, there shouldn't be a need for money on top of that. And besides, the best clubs are going to be rewarded with euro cash anyway.
    Are there any leagues that do this already?
    oh boy I'm not good at football forums

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
    Can anyone fill in the blanks for prizemoney?
    Took a random stab based on the 2016 figures, which had a total prize money of €475,500

2016 Premier:

1 – €110,000
    2 – €55,000
    3 – €35,000
    4 – €25,000
    5 – €21,000
    6 – €19,500
    7 – €18,500
    8 – €18,000
    9 – €18,000
    10 – €17,500
    11 – €17,000
    12 – €17,000

2016 First:
    1 – €30,000
    2 – €17,500
    3 – €12,000
    4 – €10,500
    5 – €9,500
    6 – €8,500
    7 – €8,000
    8 – €8,000

Based on the above..a rough calculated guess at €600,000 distribution, and the reports of Premier bottom team getting €22k and First bottom team €10k

Premier:

1 - €125,000
    2 - €60,000
    3 - €40,000
    4 - €32,500
    5 - €30,000
    6 - €28,000
    7 - €25,500
    8 - €25,000
    9 - €24,000
    10 - €22,000

First:

1 - €40,000
    2 - €25,000
    3 - €22,500
    4 - €20,500
    5 - €18,500
    6 - €15,500
    7 - €13,500
    8 - €12,500
    9 - €10,500
    10 - €10,000

I wish the off-season would feck off..
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    That looks likely alright. It's not a bad increase when you factor in not having to pay affiliation and referee fees.

GUFCghost I think the higher up you finish, the more you deserve but the differences shouldn't be as big. Maybe take €35k off the 1st prize and give bottom seven clubs €5k extra each. LOI clubs should be looking to make more money in the new Europa Conference

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbull View Post
    What kind of fee did they get Martinho?
    I wouldnt know the exact figure but its supposed to be a good deal Redbull.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    That looks likely alright. It's not a bad increase when you factor in not having to pay affiliation and referee fees.

GUFCghost I think the higher up you finish, the more you deserve but the differences shouldn't be as big. Maybe take €35k off the 1st prize and give bottom seven clubs €5k extra each. LOI clubs should be looking to make more money in the new Europa Conference
    If there's 600,000 euro in the pot, splitting it twenty ways leaves us with 30,000 euro each. I still maintain this country has the potential for a far more lucrative league where it not for chronic mismanagement, and maybe then the money would be more worth equally splitting.

Most leagues in Europe are dominated by 1 to 3 clubs, we should be trying to avoid that but the horse may have already bolted
    oh boy I'm not good at football forums

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    I dunno if it's being discussed on another thread (please move if that's the case), but there's talk that the watchloi won't be continued for next season, as its not "financially viable".
    What the f***!?!?
    Am I correct in thinking that most LOI clubs subsidised/fully paid for their clubs members/ST holders for the service last year? Is the same principle not applicable for next season as well then. I know RTÉ are in a hole financially, especially having to pay over the odds for deadbeats like tubridy & duffy, but surely even they can see the merit of making an effort to broadcast the elite men's game on this island.
    If not, it needs a whole lotta maxis turning up in donnybrook with the petrol cans.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    I dunno if it's being discussed on another thread (please move if that's the case), but there's talk that the watchloi won't be continued for next season, as its not "financially viable".
    What the f***!?!?
    Am I correct in thinking that most LOI clubs subsidised/fully paid for their clubs members/ST holders for the service last year? Is the same principle not applicable for next season as well then. I know RTÉ are in a hole financially, especially having to pay over the odds for deadbeats like tubridy & duffy, but surely even they can see the merit of making an effort to broadcast the elite men's game on this island.
    If not, it needs a whole lotta maxis turning up in donnybrook with the petrol cans.
    I'm not surprised to hear that Watch LOI wasn't viable to be honest. It was a fiver to watch a game as a one-off, and €50-60 to watch them all. So you're probably looking at an average income of somewhere in the region of 2-3 Euro per head per match. A good crowd to watch an LOI game online would probably be a thousand or so (?), with the average probably lower than that. So when you factor in all the costs, the level of demand for the LOI is such that it was always going to be pretty marginal in financial terms.

There's probably scope to keep a limited version of it gong with a) Higher subs, and b) Broadcasts limited to the more popular teams and fixtures (they'll have precise info on that from last year). No disrespect to the specific clubs mentioned here, but fixtures like Longford v Waterford are probably not going to cover their costs with the number of viewers attracted. We have to be realistic about the appeal of our product.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Clubs will probably do their own streaming and production values will be tailored for the expected revenues.

Facebook live stream for small clubs with limited revenue.
    Decent stream with commentary where the likely buyers would fund the outlay.

Even big clubs (in Irish terms) would struggle to fund it.
    Take Rovers with an average attendance in the last season of around 3500 ( i havent checked) id be surprised if that represents more than 2000 family units from what i observe at matches (not even counting mates who would buy together and watch together......i know ...covid etc).
    1000 buyers would be a lot

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Who paid for the Doppler Media productions of the games at the UCD Bowl at the end of last season? I wonder if they’d be cheaper? They’re miles ahead of WatchLOI in production quality

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Longford's one last season was good on the whole. Some initial challenges but they were able to use Facebook Live as a back up and the quality was grand. I'd imagine the lads who were doing it would do it again if allowed to. The Doppler productions were excellent.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Hopefully Virgin Media take over from RTE. Everything RTE do looks terrible, very amateur-looking productions.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Hopefully Virgin Media take over from RTE. Everything RTE do looks terrible, very amateur-looking productions.
    Yeah Im surprised VM wasnt never approached. If they dont get it I would like to see them host goals roundup on Monday nights like they did with Trevor Welch all these yrs ago. They always did a way better job than RTE imo but suppose its FAIs call?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Ah Trevor Welsh, Paul Osam and the Foo Fighters theme tune!
    TG4 also used to show live matches, First Division games too.
    No reason why the next contract couldn't give one station live matches and highlights for another channel.

21. Thanks From:

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast