Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is going to win the 2021 League

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    635 Posts
    Gannon only first teamer to leave DFC excluding rogers who was ok at best. Duffy stays its bascially the same first 11.
    Dfc - gannon , rovers - byrne (probably) i dont need to think long about who is stronger compared to this season

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Maybe, but still 7 who started the cup final, are already signed up for 2021, (should be 8 next week as Gartland due to sign) - others were Boyle, Cleary, Dummingam, Shields, Slogget, McEleneny + McMillan, plus 2 of 3 subs in Leahy + D. Kelly are signed for 2021. Also these who didn't feature in Hoban, Colovic + Murray also signed up, add in the new Norwegian striker (jury out til we see him play), there's a fair backbone there.

It will be key if the likes of Duffy stays though, plus who they get to replace Gannon and Hoare, and at least 3 quality new MF players and critically the no 1 GK that will shape the hopes for 2021 in my book.
    Yeah it great Dundalk still have all those lads that helped them finish 3rd and needing more than 22 points to win the league
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neish View Post
    Yeah it great Dundalk still have all those lads that helped them finish 3rd and needing more than 22 points to win the league
    Yep - give you that one, we were dreadful in the league, post lockdown, no wins in August, and lucky to finish 3rd in the end, and make the final euro spot for the league.

The fai cup form on the other hand was polar opposite, convincingly beating the teams in 2nd and 1st to win the trophy.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Yep - give you that one, we were dreadful in the league, post lockdown, no wins in August, and lucky to finish 3rd in the end, and make the final euro spot for the league.

The fai cup form on the other hand was polar opposite, convincingly beating the teams in 2nd and 1st to win the trophy.
    I wouldn't go too crazy on cup form, cup games tend to be decided on one game and we often see lower tier teams progress into later stages of cup around the world. League form is how a team should be judged and for me the jury is still very much out on Filippo Giovagnoli here. He has a bit job for 2021 and has already lost a few key players, if he can win the 2021 Premier of even be still in with a shout of doing so win the last couple of weeks then he will have proven his worth but as yet I see very little of note he has done. The team that won the cup was Kenny's & Perth's team not his

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    A relatively minor point, but did Dundalk really "convincingly" beat Rovers in the Cup final?

Bohs, yes. But the final went to extra-time and the comments on here at the time were that Dundalk weren't really at the races until McMillan scored his first, 70 minutes in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    No it certainly wasnt convincingly bar on the scoreboard which is what counts. It was more a performance of grit and showing a doggedness that had been absent during the league campaign. Confidence was still fragile but when we grew in confidence as the game went on, especially with the McMillan goal we showed more of the type of performance v Rovers in Tallaght (where I felt when we were on top that Rovers hung in with a doggedness that wasnt there previous seasons) than the game in Oriel. European excuses aside, if a full 1st 11 was out in that game we would still have been beaten well thta day imo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    Yeah, that's fair. It was a performance which showed Dundalk still have it, but I wouldn't go much further than that.

I would be slightly worried by all the talk of random Faroese and Albanians joining though. I get the argument that Dundalk have to look outside the league for stronger players, but the track record (not just with Dundalk) is really poor in that regard. But sure I guess let's see what happens!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    The defender linked has been on the books of decent clubs for whatever that is worth considering he was a sub against us with both FH and KI, 6'6 so stick him on the front post and he might shore up our zonal defence...

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    No it certainly wasnt convincingly bar on the scoreboard which is what counts. It was more a performance of grit and showing a doggedness that had been absent during the league campaign. Confidence was still fragile but when we grew in confidence as the game went on, especially with the McMillan goal we showed more of the type of performance v Rovers in Tallaght (where I felt when we were on top that Rovers hung in with a doggedness that wasnt there previous seasons) than the game in Oriel. European excuses aside, if a full 1st 11 was out in that game we would still have been beaten well thta day imo.
    i'm not one to underestimate Dundalk and I think you'll challenge us next year (or we could be ****e and finish third) but I think Dundalk need a bit of a turnover to compete. If you'd told me a year ago before the 2019 cup final that Dundalk would coming into the cup final as underdogs I'd have been surprised.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    The defender linked has been on the books of decent clubs for whatever that is worth considering he was a sub against us with both FH and KI, 6'6 so stick him on the front post and he might shore up our zonal defence...
    Do you mean this fella? Saw him mentioned on I think Gerry Malone's twitter (again, for what that's worth)

He's been on the books at a few decent clubs - though he's not really played for them all that much. 4 games for Midtylland, none for Molde. The rest is lower league or Icelandic/Faroese league. Could maybe do a job in LoI, but still get the feeling he wouldn't really push Dundalk on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    Thats the one, mentioned in one of the local papers so more reliable than Gerry. Seems too random to be random and yet I doubt there has been a chance to properly scout the guy - the scatter gun approach throws up an occasional gem but a risky and costly way of doing business. Of course he could actually be the commanding centre half that will dominate key zones in a 3 central defenders formation that compliment each other, I hope he has some pace as others dont particularly. If the keeper linked also is as good as its being said, the leaky defence may not be an issue. and sure we could throw him on up front and hoof it if chasing a game ;p Its impossible to call what Dundalk will like next season even with players retained. I'd forgotten close seasons where ye cant speculate on much (well so far). We've anticipated mad and bad over the years, been odds on favourites but 2021 could go any way!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    A relatively minor point, but did Dundalk really "convincingly" beat Rovers in the Cup final?

Bohs, yes. But the final went to extra-time and the comments on here at the time were that Dundalk weren't really at the races until McMillan scored his first, 70 minutes in.
    Ok whilst Rovers were much the better team up to say 70 mins, Dundalk got stronger and stronger after this, and much the better team in ET, plus scoring 4 usually beats a team that scores 2!

Dundalk took their chances, Rovers didn't, Dundalk finished stronger, maybe a better description !
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    Yep, Dundalk finished stronger for sure.

In a league game, it'd have only been a draw though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    That's true, and same goes for 2016 (ET), 2017 (Pen) , & 2019 (Pen) cup finals that we lost !

Come to think of it, only one in these series 2015-2020 that was decided in 90 mins was 2018, begs the question, just how many of the Aviva finals were won in normal time, not many I'd think. (As we go off topic)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Can we all just remember that Rovers shouldn't have been in the final at all? Thanks.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

18. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Very true, sligo just didn't turn up for the semi final.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    395 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Can we all just remember that Rovers shouldn't have been in the final at all? Thanks.
    And if penos werent given when defenders put their hands on attackers in the box, rovers would've have won the final they shouldn't have been in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    Feel free to seek revenge and hammer SRFC at every opportunity in 2021!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    635 Posts
    We will be back in love by next season. We are just on a break.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    And we won them the league. #UTH

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast