Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is going to win the 2021 League

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    635 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    so wonder who will go down next year I wonder ?
    Good question.
    Harps look like being to good and should avoid the annual battle. Hard to see beyond longford and drogs tbh. Pats sligo derry all apear to be strengthing, waterford look like they are havibg another go, expensive management team so you would thibk they have a budget to go with it....already have murphy signed back, so bar a cork like implosion from one of this years top 3 the two promoted sides should be scrapping it out.

2. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    Implosions can't be ruled out if covid continues into the summer, but yeah, the two promoted sides look the obvious candidates. It's not really clear how you'd place the eight PD teams from last year though (the FD sides don't have to slot in at 9th and 10th of course)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Harps all primed to kick our way to a famous Premier Division title.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    Looking at it now, I’d imagine Rovers win the league by a hatful. But with Bohs and Dundalk facing a reshuffle its questionable whether they can retain or improve on the standard they’ve set in recent years. Waterford, Derry, Pats, and Sligo will probably keep some and move more on. Hard to predict how good they’ll be or whether they’ll struggle it out with Harps, Drogheda and Longford. The euro places could be an interesting battle next year, I don’t see Bohs or Dundalk being too much further ahead then the rest like in previous years. Dundalk really is an interesting one, with the spine of the team looking likely to be broken up and with a new manager facing his first full season managing in the men’s senior ranks without much league experience. It could potentially blow up in the chairman’s face next year with the reports of his actions to date it doesn’t borde well for Dundalk
    Last edited by sulywaterfordfc; 21/12/2020 at 2:00 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sulywaterfordfc View Post
    Looking at it now, I’d imagine Rovers win the league by a hatful. But with Bohs and Dundalk facing a reshuffle its questionable whether they can retain or improve on the standard they’ve set in recent years. Waterford, Derry, Pats, and Sligo will probably keep some and move more on. Hard to predict how good they’ll be or whether they’ll struggle it out with Harps, Drogheda and Longford. The euro places could be an interesting battle next year, I don’t see Bohs or Dundalk being too much further ahead then the rest like in previous years. Dundalk really is an interesting one, with the spine of the team looking likely to be broken up and with a new manager facing his first full season managing in the men’s senior ranks without much league experience. It could potentially blow up in the chairman’s face next year with the reports of his actions to date it doesn’t borde well for Dundalk
    That's probably the best post I've seen on here in months.

Dundalks season could blow up in their face because of their mad owners and chairman.

Yet, Waterford are expected to keep up their chase of the top teams...in spite of their mental owner and chairman. They have signed, two, three players, and lost the majority of last season's squad?

Derry and Pat's have shown nothing to convince anyone of their season, in the transfer window so far.

Harps keeping the large bulk of the squad that were in the top three in the form guide for the second half of last season, but are expected to struggle with Longford and Drogheda..

All round, top post.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    407 Posts
    Hard to see past County Dublin Irish Sea FC making a clean sweep of every trophy next season.

Get your money on them for a Champions League group stage spot next Autumn as well. #ProTip

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Yeah superb above post by Suly. With the shambles with Dundalk on and off the pitch expect a rapid fall from grace for them over the next few seasons. I think Sligo Rovers have signed well so far and I expect them to maybe finish go up a place. I also think Harps will have another good season also. Im not convinced Declan Devine reappt has worked out for Derry so I wouldnt be surprised if they finish in a playoff spot or even face relegation. I wont predict us yet as I wasnt expecting us to go up but I think we will do very well to avoid relegation as Drogheda have the better squad than us imo.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    186 Posts
    To answer the question asked in the thread title, obviously shamrock rovers look like they’ll retain the title next year given that they’ve strengthened an already unbeaten league side.

Outside of that though it’s pointless trying to predict how the table will look at this early stage given there’s more or less no club (outside of rovers) that’s finished their squad for the season, with the majority absolutely miles away from being finished

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Yeah superb above post by Suly. With the shambles with Dundalk on and off the pitch expect a rapid fall from grace for them over the next few seasons. I think Sligo Rovers have signed well so far and I expect them to maybe finish go up a place. I also think Harps will have another good season also. Im not convinced Declan Devine reappt has worked out for Derry so I wouldnt be surprised if they finish in a playoff spot or even face relegation. I wont predict us yet as I wasnt expecting us to go up but I think we will do very well to avoid relegation as Drogheda have the better squad than us imo.
    I wouldn't predict anything with Dundalk. Giovagnoli showed his ability in the cup final and Magilton is a smart guy who will bring in good players.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I wouldn't predict anything with Dundalk. Giovagnoli showed his ability in the cup final and Magilton is a smart guy who will bring in good players.
    That's all well and good, but the yank in the "boardroom" is the unstabilising influence which causes people to hold the belief that dundalk may fall before they rise again.
    Shamrock Rovers- Where trophies are won and envy is scarce

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    That's all well and good, but the yank in the "boardroom" is the unstabilising influence which causes people to hold the belief that dundalk may fall before they rise again.
    thats exactly my thinking. It rang alarm bells in my head with the comments of Jim Magilton about having influence over signings saying that he wont be yet. Why did he come then?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    Are S Hoare and Gannon that big a loss to Dundalk? It is clear that with new management that there was to be a shake up/clear out, and just from observing as a LoI fan it has been badly needed. Indeed the squad at Oriel Park should have been overhauled a year ago at least. Recruitment is such a key part of management, and it has to be said that the record of managers in the LoI is mostly poor in this regard.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    I think the money would have to be on Rovers but I don’t think it will be a runaway, Dundalk will be thereabouts and I think so will Bohs (I wouldn’t underestimate the stabilising influence of the steady eddie rebuild off pitch in recent years at Bohs).

As a Drogs I’m under no illusions that success for us will be to stay up - Longford and us are relegation favourites given the big gap promoted teams have to cross. Obviously I am hopeful we stay up and we catch some of the more settled premier outfits off guard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    385 Posts
    I think it will be runaway. Again.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Rovers def favs, but things might change if as expected Jack B leaves, and who Dundalk get in, prob better looking at this topic again when most have their squads completed. Bohs won't be too far away either and will be more experienced after a solid 2020.

1. Rovers. 2. Dundalk 3. Bohs - subject to change !

At the other end, I think it will be very challenging for Longford to avoid auto relegation, maybe in a 12 team league, might have better chance, a 10 team will be very tough for them. I also think FH seem to have it cracked it now, so can't see them involved in bottom 2, Drogs should have enough to give themselves a chance with the play off.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Rovers def favs, but things might change if as expected Jack B leaves, and who Dundalk get in, prob better looking at this topic again when most have their squads completed. Bohs won't be too far away either and will be more experienced after a solid 2020.

1. Rovers. 2. Dundalk 3. Bohs - subject to change !

At the other end, I think it will be very challenging for Longford to avoid auto relegation, maybe in a 12 team league, might have better chance, a 10 team will be very tough for them. I also think FH seem to have it cracked it now, so can't see them involved in bottom 2, Drogs should have enough to give themselves a chance with the play off.
    Thats my fear Oriel as I didnt expect us to go up this season after ending the season badly before the playoffs. But look even if we even stay up for one season in top flight and go down I rather that way than the way it ended badly when Tony Cousins was in charge and we overachieved in our first season and were poor in our second.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Hard to look past Shamrock Rovers again, even if Jack Byrne does leave I think they have enough in the squad and the signing they have made so far to win without too much trouble. Big rebuild for Dundalk that last 2 season have seen them lose a good few players that were key to their success over last 5 or 6 years, I really don't see them seriously challenging for the Premier in 2021. Bohs look like they will be Shams biggest rival for the league. Sligo I imagine will be up in the battle for europe again possibly Waterford too but with a new manager with no experience in the league and their owners madness they could as easily be the other end of the table

I hope Ollie Horgan can find a quality goalscorer with such an addition and resigning most of the 2020 squad I think Harps can push towards mid table possibly even 3rd or 4th. As for the rest I see them in the bottom half for most of the season, Harps could will be there too, it will most likely turn into a battle between Longford and Drogheda as we move into the final round of games
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Thats my fear Oriel as I didnt expect us to go up this season after ending the season badly before the playoffs. But look even if we even stay up for one season in top flight and go down I rather that way than the way it ended badly when Tony Cousins was in charge and we overachieved in our first season and were poor in our second.
    Plus I meant to add Martinho 'with the greatest of respect' as that's a fine stadium you have and a most welcome addition to the PD, I just think it will be very tough for you, but you never know.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neish View Post
    Hard to look past Shamrock Rovers again, even if Jack Byrne does leave I think they have enough in the squad and the signing they have made so far to win without too much trouble. Big rebuild for Dundalk that last 2 season have seen them lose a good few players that were key to their success over last 5 or 6 years, I really don't see them seriously challenging for the Premier in 2021. Bohs look like they will be Shams biggest rival for the league. Sligo I imagine will be up in the battle for europe again possibly Waterford too but with a new manager with no experience in the league and their owners madness they could as easily be the other end of the table

I hope Ollie Horgan can find a quality goalscorer with such an addition and resigning most of the 2020 squad I think Harps can push towards mid table possibly even 3rd or 4th. As for the rest I see them in the bottom half for most of the season, Harps could will be there too, it will most likely turn into a battle between Longford and Drogheda as we move into the final round of games
    Maybe, but still 7 who started the cup final, are already signed up for 2021, (should be 8 next week as Gartland due to sign) - others were Boyle, Cleary, Dummingam, Shields, Slogget, McEleneny + McMillan, plus 2 of 3 subs in Leahy + D. Kelly are signed for 2021. Also these who didn't feature in Hoban, Colovic + Murray also signed up, add in the new Norwegian striker (jury out til we see him play), there's a fair backbone there.

It will be key if the likes of Duffy stays though, plus who they get to replace Gannon and Hoare, and at least 3 quality new MF players and critically the no 1 GK that will shape the hopes for 2021 in my book.
    Last edited by oriel; 26/12/2020 at 3:34 PM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast