Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Games 4th November to 8th of November (The final fence)

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    We don't have errortel these days but RTE can still throw up some strange one on their website. Anyone care to explain the difference between defeat or loss?

• A win.
    • Finn Harps not to win. Derry City can then afford a loss or defeat.
    • Shelbourne not to win. Derry City can then afford a loss or defeat.
    • A draw and rely on their superior goal difference at the expense of Shelbourne and/or Harps even if they get a draw and low-scoring win respectively.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020...tions-dundalk/
    Actually the contributor on the RTE website I actually know him well and he used to be here as a member. I am at a loss of what this is I imagine its a typo error!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thebronze14 View Post
    Think Jamie Moore was the lad that did the last two of our matches and was very good. Clearly had done lots of research and was fair and balanced I thought. A weird fetish for towels though
    Thebronze whats that bout fetish for towels? JM a superb broadcaster as I used to listen to his podcasts a lot before he moved to pastures new!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    AERTEL is actually still going for some reason. In this day and age it’s a complete waste of money which RTE claim to be short of.
    That'd be typical, a 'service' that refuses to die!! Havent used it or seen it in years so am surprised, but when exiled was very much appreciated as one of the few ways to get LoI results abroad....usually on a dodgy Sky box some pub had to show the GAA. The season after we were promoted we were top of the league for a few round and I took a screen cap, which is still probably about. Didnt matter that there were only a few games played or maybe top in flipping alphabetical, the way things were it might not have been seen again, if only we knew what was around the corner

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Actually the contributor on the RTE website I actually know him well and he used to be here as a member. I am at a loss of what this is I imagine its a typo error!
    Does a draw and defeat fit with the permutations? Unusual to see the typos duplicated although could be cut and paste in haste.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Derry was always a hotbed of talented footballers but did end up in that cycle of being a selling club, though there was some decent transfer fees paid. I'm going back a bit and possibly was when there was some mismanagement of finances going on.

I still find it strange the McNamee is at Harps rather than Derry - I know it was said that pt football suited him, but if being bankrolled heads can be turned for a year or 2. It's also odd that Junior found himself at Sligo. Missed by Derry so how is it that he didnt return to Derry - the club making it happen as Derry would surely have been a front runner rather than Sligo initially. Yeah there has been a lot of upheavel DCSIL and with some fruits at the helm, Sheils and Collins, and arguably Fenlon. Shiels signing players and then buying out theor contracts to cut them loose isnt ancient history so Devine is possibly dealing with some legacy issues. Derry has an awful lot to offer both as a club and city (unless you are Niclas Vemellund) so I think should be well capable of getting away from flirting with playoff positions. Devine being sacked seemed harsh last time so there might be a reluctance to pull the trigger this time, but you'd have to see things kicking on next season from this.
    *As an aside, I was talking to Paul Curran not too long after Devine was reappointed and he was scathing about him, wouldnt trust him etc. It was a bit more than just thinking it was the wrong man for the job, there must whole lot more to that, but then it was Paul Curran after all....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    AERTEL is actually still going for some reason. In this day and age it’s a complete waste of money which RTE claim to be short of.
    No its not. There is a page that resembles but it is just an index for the RTE site.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    It is. I can access it on my TV. Page 220 is still football

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Lol Page 220 was football all right but can you remember the league table page?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    222 was LoI results - and 230 was the table? 23-something anyway

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Yup, 222 was the important page. Phonecall home on Thursday night if playing in Oriel and the routine was to have P222 on and read the results over the phone to me as I cursed waiting for pages to cycle through as I was getting through all my 10p pieces waiting (or curse my family for not being ready with Aertel when I rang home as per routine lol). I kept my own league table and checked in The Guardian as some weekends they the published LoI tables in microscopic font. Then Orielweb among others came online along with Aertel. Pals would laugh at the efforts to get results and tables so always got a slagging about this mickey mouse club and league but I think I mentioned recently that those same people are now watching Dundalk FC on BT Sports playing the likes of Arsenal ha!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts
    Yup, 222 was the important page. Phonecall home on Thursday night if playing in Oriel and the routine was to have P222 on and read the results over the phone to me as I cursed waiting for pages to cycle through as I was getting through all my 10p pieces waiting (or curse my family for not being ready with Aertel when I rang home as per routine lol). I kept my own league table and checked in The Guardian as some weekends they the published LoI tables in microscopic font. Then Orielweb among others came online along with Aertel. Pals would laugh at the efforts to get results and tables so always got a slagging about this mickey mouse club and league but I think I mentioned recently that those same people are now watching Dundalk FC on BT Sports playing the likes of Arsenal ha!
    Ah aertel, a life saver. Going even further back I have heard stories that Sligo Rovers fans would wait at the Showgrounds for the team to travel back from away games, so they could be told the score.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    The idea of bringing Derry boys back from IL clubs is tried, tested, failed. They generally move to Coleraine, Glenavon, Cliftonville or Glentoran for a reason (and it’s usually footballing, Conor McDermott a notable exception). It’s a no from me that policy.

We will probably retain no more than 6-8 players from the current squad and it’s a start from scratch game for yet another year.

Can’t see any real improvement unless Phil digs into his very deep pockets.
    Can Phil dig any deeper than he already is though? Derry reported to have increased the budget by 30% this year.

Derry was always a hotbed of talented footballers but did end up in that cycle of being a selling club, though there was some decent transfer fees paid. I'm going back a bit and possibly was when there was some mismanagement of finances going on.

I still find it strange the McNamee is at Harps rather than Derry - I know it was said that pt football suited him, but if being bankrolled heads can be turned for a year or 2. It's also odd that Junior found himself at Sligo. Missed by Derry so how is it that he didnt return to Derry - the club making it happen as Derry would surely have been a front runner rather than Sligo initially. Yeah there has been a lot of upheavel DCSIL and with some fruits at the helm, Sheils and Collins, and arguably Fenlon. Shiels signing players and then buying out theor contracts to cut them loose isnt ancient history so Devine is possibly dealing with some legacy issues. Derry has an awful lot to offer both as a club and city (unless you are Niclas Vemellund) so I think should be well capable of getting away from flirting with playoff positions. Devine being sacked seemed harsh last time so there might be a reluctance to pull the trigger this time, but you'd have to see things kicking on next season from this.
    There's a reason Barry McNamee left Derry and it's not just to play PT football.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    It is. I can access it on my TV. Page 220 is still football
    Amazed its still there, might be a few people in mountain valleys forgotten by mobile phone operators and too attenuated for dial up still reliant on it, don't think they would be many LOI people involved there, though there could be a few in the Ox or Dartry. The people who operate it must jobs for life, good to know that peoples TV licence money is been put to good use.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    Ah aertel, a life saver. Going even further back I have heard stories that Sligo Rovers fans would wait at the Showgrounds for the team to travel back from away games, so they could be told the score.
    Not true, they used to gather outside the Post Office I think the score used to come in morse code or something. Gerry Mitchells brother told me that story, he worked for the P&T back in the day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redarmyfaction View Post
    Amazed its still there, might be a few people in mountain valleys forgotten by mobile phone operators and too attenuated for dial up still reliant on it, don't think they would be many LOI people involved there, though there could be a few in the Ox or Dartry. The people who operate it must jobs for life, good to know that peoples TV licence money is been put to good use.
    Yeah, I've no idea what it's still there for. Even if it's a copy and paste from the RTÉ website (which I don't think it is), then there must be someone whose job it is to look after it.

I see actually that, as you said, they have taken the web version down and they now link in to the RTÉ website. So it is a year or so since I checked Aertel and maybe it's been taken down as well in that time. But at worst, it was still up fairly recently.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Can Phil dig any deeper than he already is though? Derry reported to have increased the budget by 30% this year.
    Peanuts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Very little money, it's almost all automated from material on the website, and has been for more than ten years. Still, a waste of time given the state of play technologically, and probably costs more in running repairs than it's worth. There are a few useful little pages of information that is hard to find elsewhere.
    Last edited by littlebray; 09/11/2020 at 12:12 AM. Reason: typo

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redarmyfaction View Post
    Not true, they used to gather outside the Post Office I think the score used to come in morse code or something. Gerry Mitchells brother told me that story, he worked for the P&T back in the day.
    Or maybe there is more than one story.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    I heard micheal o muirahiertigh (surprisingly spell check doesnt wirk for that one) give a brilient after dinner speech where he started off talking about how crowds used to wait atbrailway stations to ger scores and how pigions would be released from grounds with uodates re team line ups etc, then moved on to telegraph, then radio, then tv and finely he was on a plane watching a match while flying over the atlantic.....naturly spread over 20 minutes with fantastic detail and with the cupla focail thrown in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Thebronze whats that bout fetish for towels? JM a superb broadcaster as I used to listen to his podcasts a lot before he moved to pastures new!
    He has a bit of a laugh every time a Harps player drys the ball with a towel for one of our long throw ins

23. Thanks From:

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast