Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meta-discussion of moderation of BLM discussion in England-Ireland match thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts

Meta-discussion of moderation of BLM discussion in England-Ireland match thread

I cannot find the post I quouted last night, and it is my assumption that it has been deleted. What is wrong with me having the opinion that seeing the Irish players kneeling down before a game is offensive to me? Just like I find it offensive for the Irish players to wear rainbow coloured laces to represent a flag offensive to my religion? Just like I refuse to listen to the national anthem the English play before their games. I always turn off the sound for that anthem in any sport.
    As I said last night, the referee never bothered kneeling and I repect him more because of that decision.
    Aon, dó, trí, bhí mé i mo luí, thit mé den leaba, he! he! he!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts
    All posts that quoted the original were deleted.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    That quoted what original?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    It was a quote against the BLM movement in relation to that being a communist movement. I cannot remember who wrote it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    All posts that quoted the original were deleted.

Why was it deleted? I am very curious.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrufil View Post
    I cannot find the post I quouted last night, and it is my assumption that it has been deleted. What is wrong with me having the opinion that seeing the Irish players kneeling down before a game is offensive to me? Just like I find it offensive for the Irish players to wear rainbow coloured laces to represent a flag offensive to my religion? Just like I refuse to listen to the national anthem the English play before their games. I always turn off the sound for that anthem in any sport.
    As I said last night, the referee never bothered kneeling and I repect him more because of that decision.
    "a flag offensive to my religion"

You do know your a bigot right? or is your ignorance so powerful, you haven't realized that yet [/COLOR]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    I would sooner walk the lone path than have people trample on me. Perhaps it is you who are the bigot Diggs246 and not stopped to think it out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Actually, looking back I see you deleted seanfhear's post objecting to players taking the knee (and my reply)

With respect, that's going above and beyond your role as a moderator tets. Way above and beyond.

It is absolutely a valid viewpoint that the taking the knee thing has been taken too far - so valid that Les Ferdinand, Director of Football at QPR, has told them to stop doing it (which was my reply). I don't think seanfhear's view was very well put across, but it was a valid view nonetheless.

It is absolutely a valid viewpoint that taking the knee before games is unhelpful overall. Why have we automatically assumed the George Floyd death was racist (and not just police incompetence)? The problem is the knee thing effectively tries to rule out any discussion on police training in the US, or issues of social inequalities and race in the US, or even issues of crime and race in the US. The knee thing says the white guys were racist, end of story - but if that's not what happened, then history is destined to repeat itself.

In any event, why were there no protests when US police killed a white man in exactly the same way? Why is a football match in England even bothering itself with police politics in a different country? Why don't we have Muslim Women's Lives Matters protests for issues surrounding treatment of women in other foreign countries? Why don't we have protests at the increasing number of sexual assaults on European women by migrants? Who dictates which causes are worthy and which aren't?

Now you don't have to agree with the above analysis - but you have absolutely no right to go censoring people who object to the knee thing. Move it to another thread if needs be, but deleting posts because you don't agree with them is a gross, gross abuse of moderator powers.

If nothing else, posts should be moved to the Rubbish Bin so they can be seen rather than surreptitiously deleted, because that just creates suspicion.

I'm reporting this post for posterity in case you delete it as well, being something you probably don't agree with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts
    Why was it deleted? I am very curious.
    It was discussed among the mods and deleted.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    It was discussed among the mods and deleted.

That is a cop-out of an answer. We as Irish sports fans have a right to question the actions of the players anytime on the pitch. What is the site afraid of? Is it that you fear there are still some people who hold traditional views or is it that the site has to go with the flow of the big media pressures?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    This discussion is off-topic and should be split off.

And for clarity, the objection seems not to have been to any opinion on the action of taking a knee, so much as the highly politicised phrasing that was either trolling or the stupidest thing I've read all year (a highly competitive field).

Tets did consult the other mods. I have raised the question of how best to moderate in these situations on the mod forum, so your feedback is being heard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post

And for clarity, the objection seems not to have been to any opinion on the action of taking a knee, so much as the highly politicised phrasing that was either trolling or the stupidest thing I've read all year (a highly competitive field).

Tets did consult the other mods. I have raised the question of how best to moderate in these situations on the mod forum, so your feedback is being heard.
    Once again why is it off topic? It happened before the kickoff for all to see. I reckon there are also a great number of people on this site who find the English anthem offensive. How is this topic any different?

I do my best to hold my tongue here but this place is like a 'nanny site' at times. You mods would not have lasted 10 secs in the place where I grew up and the people around me. This is getting to the level of killing our freedom of speech and I can understand why 'Gab' website is more and more popular, in its free speech levels.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post

That's fine; thanks.

I agree the phrasing really wasn't great at all. But the mod action could have been to clip the "racist communist" phrase (or whatever it was) and put a Mod note in the post to that effect. That way, it's clear what the objection was and why. (Scrufil - the "off-topic" part is the discussion on mod actions. And that is off topic, in fairness)

Anyways, I think the point has been made and taken on board. Back to how crap we are.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 13/11/2020 at 4:07 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    That's fine; thanks.

I agree the phrasing really wasn't great at all. But the mod action could have been to clip the "racist communist" phrase (or whatever it was) and put a Mod note in the post to that effect. That way, it's clear what the objection was and why. (Scrufil - the "off-topic" part is the discussion on mod actions. And that is off topic, in fairness)

Anyways, I think the point has been made and taken on board. Back to how crap we are.

So Pinaaple Stu you are saying this topic can be discussed when it is moved to the 'off-topic' section? Still don't know why it is off Topic.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    I would sooner walk the lone path than have people trample on me. Perhaps it is you who are the bigot Diggs246 and not stopped to think it out.
    like yourself. I'm against all political statements anywhere near sport
    Poppy =wrong
    Ireland wearing a 1916 commemoration top v Switzerland =wrong

my very serious objection to your post was, that you find the gay flag offensive and then go on to hide behind what I assume is the catholic church/faith.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Once again why is it off topic? It happened before the kickoff for all to see. I reckon there are also a great number of people on this site who find the English anthem offensive. How is this topic any different?

I do my best to hold my tongue here but this place is like a 'nanny site' at times. You mods would not have lasted 10 secs in the place where I grew up and the people around me. This is getting to the level of killing our freedom of speech and I can understand why 'Gab' website is more and more popular, in its free speech levels.
    Im also a working class, man, my neighborhood was heavy as hell in greater Bs As, west side, the poor suburbs, not like in America or France when the suburbs are full of the fancy riches, poshness and preppies,

Upper class and football dont get along too well. This is the people's game, plz dont forget

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Poppy =wrong

my very serious objection to your post was, that you find the gay flag offensive and then go on to hide behind what I assume is the catholic church/faith.
    Football/Soccer and politics are two sides of the same coin, it is really hard to separate them. Nowadays politics use football/soccer as agenda, to get closer to the people, even in the U.S.A with Clinton, Obama and Trump.
    Its the people's game when you see a canadian comedian star like Mike Myers and Will Farrell playing it at good level, or people like Colin Farrell talking openly about his devotion for this game and Maradona, And De Niro talking how much he played it in his youth as a soccer lover,,,,,, and U2 filming a video playing football on the beach in Rio de Janeiro, this is the people's game.
    Irish politicians they also make remarks about how the love this game, even the ladies

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Poppy =wrong

I did not tell you my faith and you are wrong to assume. My understanding is that the flag could not be designed to have 7 colours because that would mean it was inclusive of certain religions. Therefore it was designed as an Anti-religious symbol of 6 colours. Just like Hitler took an old wheel symbol that he thought would create might, power and unity, this movement took a previously used religious symbol and used it in a manner and continue to use it in a manner that is akin to communism. For example my marriage has been directly trampled on by those who use that flag. I have therefore every right to be offended by its use in a 'sporting' arena.
    When younger members of my religion tell me directly that what that flag represents is against my faith then I believe that to be the case.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Sad to see that even foot.ie is being subjected to the same bigotted rhetoric coming from the White House in recent years. Take it off the football thread please mods

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    I did not tell you my faith and you are wrong to assume. My understanding is that the flag could not be designed to have 7 colours because that would mean it was inclusive of certain religions. Therefore it was designed as an Anti-religious symbol of 6 colours. Just like Hitler took an old wheel symbol that he thought would create might, power and unity, this movement took a previously used religious symbol and used it in a manner and continue to use it in a manner that is akin to communism. For example my marriage has been directly trampled on by those who use that flag. I have therefore every right to be offended by its use in a 'sporting' arena.
    When younger members of my religion tell me directly that what that flag represents is against my faith then I believe that to be the case.
    Oh sorry your mental . Sorry about that, let's move on guys

21. Thanks From:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast