Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Games 28th Oct to 4th November

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Dundalk were awful there. In typical Pats fashion we created absolutely nothing once we equalised and had all of the momentum but that'll happen when you literally don't have a striker in the squad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Thank god Rovers have the league sorted out, as I would be very nervous of us needing to chase 3 points on this balybofey "patch".
    Kudos to Harps for the guard of honour before the game- its not at all surprising given the relative appreciation between the two clubs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    With the colours of Pats and Dundalk tonight well it is just like Thursdays game all over again Need that 2nd goal!!

Damn you Bob Benson...pressure on Dundalk now. A point might not be the worst!
    At least ye are mathematically safe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Thank god Rovers have the league sorted out, as I would be very nervous of us needing to chase 3 points on this balybofey "patch".
    Kudos to Harps for the guard of honour before the game- its not at all surprising given the relative appreciation between the two clubs.
    No matter who it is, tradition is to applaud the champions elect on to the pitch! I would expect Dundalk to do so if we happened to be playing Rovers before the end of the season!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    No matter who it is, tradition is to applaud the champions elect on to the pitch! I would expect Dundalk to do so if we happened to be playing Rovers before the end of the season!
    I could be wrong but I don't think Shamrock Rovers did it in 2012 when they played Sligo Rovers. I'm sure I read that in the book Tallaght Time. It was something to do with the Shams squad still feeling that they were the best team in the league at the time or something similar which was ironic considering their next couple of seasons.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Well its a tradition rather than obligation. There was a time that the first games the following season champions were applauded on across the UK and Ireland and was done by rival teams to not be seen as bitter and that they have sucked up not being champions. Whatever about the following season I think it is a good and healthy tradition to applaud on champions elect. It is an example of respect and good sportsmanship which can often be lacking in the mind game and supporter rivalry of the modern game. Id like to think that teams making this gesture of respect could influence people on the terraces irrespective of rivalry. When it doesnt happen it is usually indicative of bitterness and the pettiness of the manager that doesnt instruct his team to do this or tells them not to. There have been some inroads in showing respect in some areas of the game but personally I feel this carries additional weight. Im sure there are people that will disagree and no doubt they will follow clubs that shunned this tradition against league challanging rivals!
    Last edited by Nesta99; 02/11/2020 at 7:38 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    I dont remember whether Rovers clapped Sligo on or not tbh but it was nice of Harps to do it.
    Would have been nice to be able to see it properly on watchloi bit they kept the big Harps v Rovers banner up on screen all through.
    Nice tweet from the Finn Harps groundmen saying the Rovers staff had left 6 Chicken curry meals behind for them clasic LOI and why i love this league..its the little things

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Well its a tradition rather than obligation. There was a time that the first games the following season champions were applauded on across the UK and Ireland and was done by rival teams to not be seen as bitter and that they have sucked up not being champions. Whatever about the following season I think it is a good and healthy tradition to applaud on champions elect. It is an example of respect and good sportsmanship which can often be lacking in the mind game and supporter rivalry of the modern game. Id like to think that teams making this gesture of respect could influence people on the terraces irrespective of rivalry. When it doesnt happen it is usually indicative of bitterness and the petty of the manager that doesnt instruct his team to do this or tells them not to. There have been some inroads in showing respect in some areas of the game but personally I feel this carries additional weight. Im sure there are people that will disagree and no doubt they will follow clubs that shunned this tradition against league challanging rivals!
    From a club that issued a team photo With a banner saying something like “..we won the league in Talaght ..” might best that you avoid commenting on Pettiness/bitterness/respect 😇

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    From a club that issued a team photo With a banner saying something like “..we won the league in Talaght ..” might best that you avoid commenting on Pettiness/bitterness/respect 
    It's a fact that they won the league in Tallaght though. I wouldn’t take offence to that, I'd just be disappointed that they did win it at my club's home ground.

On the topic of guards of honour, I've seen Pats receive one by Derry and Cork as well as give one to Cork and Dundalk twice off the top of my head. Will give one to Rovers on Wednesday too I'd imagine. Sickner to have to watch your team do it for a rival but that's football

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    It shouldn’t really be that much of a sickner to give the champions a guard of honour unless you are either a) the second placed team and have lost out after a ding dong of a title race or b) a particularly fierce rival of the champions.

The rest of the league (in any league) shouldn’t find it too galling to do it for a few seconds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    It's a fact that they won the league in Tallaght though. I wouldn’t take offence to that, I'd just be disappointed that they did win it at my club's home ground.

On the topic of guards of honour, I've seen Pats receive one by Derry and Cork as well as give one to Cork and Dundalk twice off the top of my head. Will give one to Rovers on Wednesday too I'd imagine. Sickner to have to watch your team do it for a rival but that's football
    Not really a sickener - simply good manners and agree should always be done - if you don’t think the poster used mentioning Talaght wasn’t petty fair enough , had we done something similar I’d be very annoyed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    It shouldn’t really be that much of a sickner to give the champions a guard of honour unless you are either a) the second placed team and have lost out after a ding dong of a title race or b) a particularly fierce rival of the champions.

The rest of the league (in any league) shouldn’t find it too galling to do it for a few seconds.
    I think that is when it really should happen. I'm not all for a happy clappy love in, or completely benign rivalries, I just think when the title is decided and there are games to play that it is something that should continue to be a tradition. It sets a good example that even in sporting rivalries that respect can be shown and supporting football clubs is not about the fight down a side street or firing missiles at opposition supporters. If players and management can be mature about things maybe it might rub off in other beneficial ways.

Well CJ I and the majority of Dundalk fans cringed at that banner, if it were the other way around I would have enjoyed that it meant that much to win it at a rivals ground. The 'Talla' bit added significantly to the cringe factor. It should be noted that both the banner and the event were not organised by Dundalk FC but by the kit manufacturer. The club called it misguided. The person who was responsible for the promotional material of the kit launch was made quite aware of peoples thoughts especially that it stank of minnowism and therefore an own goal. It would have been petty if DFC were responsible in the same way as Drogheda spent over 10k having billboards on their 1st league title posted up in Dundalk - lol minnowism. That you brought it up in a slap on the wrist manner means it must have gotten a bit under your skin Calcio rather than treating with the contempt it deserved, or was it pettiness calling out pettiness Hmmmm? I laughed at the DUFC antics (mostly at the money they splashed on a wind up), in a 'come back when you have added at least another 8 league wins (think its 13 now) aaannd we were stuck in the 1st Division at the time too!

*I should add that Dundalk applauded Drogheda United on prior to the Malone Cup the following preseason.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 02/11/2020 at 7:44 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    I think that is when it really should happen. I'm not all for a happy clappy love in, or completely benign rivalries, I just think when the title is decided and there are games to play that it is something that should continue to be a tradition.
    Oh absolutely agreed that is when it should happen when it is the most irksome and perhaps most important to show respect. Just saying the rest of the league then have no real right to feel it a “sickner” doing it when they haven’t been there or thereabouts anyway.

14. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Great to see such an exciting end to the season all round but particularly in the FD. We would have been deprived of that had the majority of clubs in the Premier been allowed to throw their toys out of the pram and ruin both competitions. Instead we've had almost every game count for every club and it's been compelling viewing. I hope the viewership on WatchLOI has matched the level of drama because we may need it again next season. It's a fantastic service and when you see the relative ease with which it was put together you really just hate the FAI's "tv deal" all over again. To think we actually got some revenue for the clubs out of it as well! What a novel idea. I hope it stays and can be improved a bit to include sponsorship opportunities and a bit more in depth coverage, particularly post match interviews and a bit of a build up.

Congrats to Drogheda on their league win and promotion. Hoping Harps stay up and Galway join them now but that's not a dig at Longford. I just have a soft spot for both clubs. Commiserations to Cork. Lessons learned hopefully and it will be interesting to see what Grovemore do to get them back in the top flight again soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    If Watch LOI was on offer for €100 a season like GAA Go, I’d buy it now.

Up north it’s £7 a game!

Still no word on the cancelled game on weds but I expect Rovers to get the points. We’ll play the cup game v Sligo at some point.

Will tune in for the Galway - Longford game, got a soft spot for Longford but unfortunately their resources aren’t what of what the opposition they or Galway have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    I think that is when it really should happen. I'm not all for a happy clappy love in, or completely benign rivalries, I just think when the title is decided and there are games to play that it is something that should continue to be a tradition. It sets a good example that even in sporting rivalries that respect can be shown and supporting football clubs is not about the fight down a side street or firing missiles at opposition supporters. If players and management can be mature about things maybe it might rub off in other beneficial ways.

Well CJ I and the majority of Dundalk fans cringed at that banner, if it were the other way around I would have enjoyed that it meant that much to win it at a rivals ground. The 'Talla' bit added significantly to the cringe factor. It should be noted that both the banner and the event were not organised by Dundalk FC but by the kit manufacturer. The club called it misguided. The person who was responsible for the promotional material of the kit launch was made quite aware of peoples thoughts especially that it stank of minnowism and therefore an own goal. It would have been petty if DFC were responsible in the same way as Drogheda spent over 10k having billboards on their 1st league title posted up in Dundalk - lol minnowism. That you brought it up in a slap on the wrist manner means it must have gotten a bit under your skin Calcio rather than treating with the contempt it deserved, or was it pettiness calling out pettiness Hmmmm? I laughed at the DUFC antics (mostly at the money they splashed on a wind up), in a 'come back when you have added at least another 8 league wins (think its 13 now) aaannd we were stuck in the 1st Division at the time too!

*I should add that Dundalk applauded Drogheda United on prior to the Malone Cup the following preseason.
    I’ll keep my response brief- I mentioned it in the context that you posted re pettiness / lack of respect/ bitterness etc . and no other reason , appreciate your club tried to distance themselves from it , however one it was published the damage was done .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack;2055523[B
    ]I’ll keep my response brief[/B]- I mentioned it in the context that you posted re pettiness / lack of respect/ bitterness etc . and no other reason , appreciate your club tried to distance themselves from it , however one it was published the damage was done .
    I have yet to learn brevity!!! Agreed, the perception it created was poor. There was no trying to distance the club it was outright said by the club 'not us'. In the context of pettiness, bitterness, or lack of respect, or Rovers fans that feel that that's what it was well its a bit of a mountain out of a mole hill, it wasnt particularly insulting except for Dundalk fans who have some pride in the club and general self respect for cop on. Flipping a few minutes off the cuff chant from section of a crowd on one night becoming a 'tag' for a league win, including the 'Talla' bit - well it probably bothered a lot more in Dundalk than in Talla....stupid Id call it, not petty or bitter. Really this chat became about the creating and maintaining respect and so looking back on incidents that fell short - well if we all were to do that we may as well all give up on trying to have any mutual respect in any form.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kksaints View Post
    I could be wrong but I don't think Shamrock Rovers did it in 2012 when they played Sligo Rovers. I'm sure I read that in the book Tallaght Time. It was something to do with the Shams squad still feeling that they were the best team in the league at the time or something similar which was ironic considering their next couple of seasons.
    Not sure about them thinking they were the best team in the league but yeah they didn’t give us a guard of honour

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Great to see such an exciting end to the season all round but particularly in the FD. We would have been deprived of that had the majority of clubs in the Premier been allowed to throw their toys out of the pram and ruin both competitions. Instead we've had almost every game count for every club and it's been compelling viewing. I hope the viewership on WatchLOI has matched the level of drama because we may need it again next season. It's a fantastic service and when you see the relative ease with which it was put together you really just hate the FAI's "tv deal" all over again. To think we actually got some revenue for the clubs out of it as well! What a novel idea. I hope it stays and can be improved a bit to include sponsorship opportunities and a bit more in depth coverage, particularly post match interviews and a bit of a build up.

Congrats to Drogheda on their league win and promotion. Hoping Harps stay up and Galway join them now but that's not a dig at Longford. I just have a soft spot for both clubs. Commiserations to Cork. Lessons learned hopefully and it will be interesting to see what Grovemore do to get them back in the top flight again soon.
    Considering that chatter about respect (not because of it) and even though I did give a bit of a dig at Drogheda,, yup congrats is due. As I mentioned on another thread it was a cut-throat season in the 1st Division and a big achievement to be promoted when it was so competative. For whatever level local rivalry there is, the Louth derby does generate interest and I'm glad to have it back hopefully with crowds next season. United Park gets is criticism but I always enjoy the atmosphere that is generated with a good crowd especially in the away section. Ive a soft spot for Harps, Ollie and his eternal optimism, so hope they stay up but other sides have their merits, Galway is one of the best overnighter away trips, Longford fans are always very welcoming. With some luck we will get at least half a league season with crowds back.

If its possible I hope there are plans for a full normal season to kick in with the real possibility of covid vaccines being available late spring, alongside what will likely be a provisional shorter season plan if made under current circumstances!?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    I have yet to learn brevity!!! Agreed, the perception it created was poor. There was no trying to distance the club it was outright said by the club 'not us'. In the context of pettiness, bitterness, or lack of respect, or Rovers fans that feel that that's what it was well its a bit of a mountain out of a mole hill, it wasnt particularly insulting except for Dundalk fans who have some pride in the club and general self respect for cop on. Flipping a few minutes off the cuff chant from section of a crowd on one night becoming a 'tag' for a league win, including the 'Talla' bit - well it probably bothered a lot more in Dundalk than in Talla....stupid Id call it, not petty or bitter. Really this chat became about the creating and maintaining respect and so looking back on incidents that fell short - well if we all were to do that we may as well all give up on trying to have any mutual respect in any form.
    We’ll sir, I doff my hat in respect to your response

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast