Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Malahide manager prepared for ‘uphill task’

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts

Malahide manager prepared for ‘uphill task’

From the Sligo Champion:

MALAHIDE United manager, Bobby Browne, believes his side face an uphill task as they bid to cause a shock in Saturday’s tie at the Showgrounds.

“Sligo are very strong and while it would be nice to get a result, it is going to be difficult for us,” said Browne, an F.A.I. Cup winner with Shelbourne in 1993.

The Leinster Senior League outfit finished a creditable fifth following their promotion to Division One last term and in a season just ended also reached two cup finals, beaten in both the Metropolitan Cup and Charlie Cahill Cup by Crumlin Celtic.

“It hasn’t been a bad year for us. People expected us to go straight back down after going up from Division Two, but we were delighted at how things went. If our campaign is to finish on Saturday, it will be nice to do so in an F.A.I. Cup tie against eircom League opposition, but we will be giving it our best shot, “ he added.

Following a distinguished career at Tolka Park, Browne went into League of Ireland management at Monaghan United in 1999/2000 and guided the Gortakeegan based club to promotion before he stepped down in September, 2003.

He was out of football for approximately two months when he took over at Malahide, whose Gannon Park facilities are the envy of many and where the Irish international team hold their training sessions.

“Taking part in the F.A.I. Cup increases the profile of the club and we are delighted to be involved. When we were paired against Sligo Rovers I thought to myself it was a pretty decent draw.

“We could have been facing a non-league team like ourselves, which often happens, but at least Saturday’s tie gives us the opportunity to see how we do against a First Division side,” the Malahide boss said.

Browne watched Rovers in the recent two-two draw against Kildare County at Station Road, Newbridge and described them as “ a decent side.

“They were relatively comfortable at the back and Paul McTiernan scored a great goal on the night. He is known to me from my time at Monaghan and obviously he is a danger to us,” he went on.

Malahide’s season began last August and ended last week and following a brief ‘time off’ spell, Browne recalled his squad for training ahead of one of the biggest game’s in the club’s history.

“It has been a long, hard effort for almost the past year. We gave the players a bit of a rest, but we kept them going this week and we are focussed on the cup tie now.

“Sligo is a good place to go to. There should be a great atmosphere and a decent crowd. It will of course be tough, but we just might have half a chance of getting something,” Browne said.

One injury worry for the Malahide boss is former Dublin City and Kilkenny City player, Austin Skelly.

Meanwhile, the majority of the players are young and from the Malahide area, though some have featured for the Irish international amateur side.

“It will be a good experience for them and we are all looking forward to it. On the day, you just never know. All the pressure is on Sligo. There is nothing expected of us,” Browne said.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts

McNamara on Malahide game

AS he prepares for his first F.A.I. Cup tie as captain, Sligo Rovers defender, Michael McNamara, says he is "quietly confident" ahead of Saturday night’s opener against Malahide United.

"When I first heard the draw, I was happy enough. They should be a decent team, coming from the Leinster Senior League, but these are the type of games we are expected to win.

"In many ways it is a step into the unknown for us. We will be focussed on what we have to do and will treat the match as we would any other," he added.

McNamara’s solid defensive displays-and four set piece goals into the bargain-have helped Rovers consolidate their promotion push from the First Division, a target temporarily put aside this weekend.

"Things have been going reasonably well in the league. It is important that we keep the ball rolling in that respect. After all, promotion is our main objective.

"A good cup run would be a bonus, however, and we will be certainly looking for that, starting on Saturday," said the skipper.

McNamara is anticipating that Malahide will defend in numbers, as most teams visiting the Showgrounds have done.

"I feel they will put bodies behind the ball and try to frustrate us. We have to be patient and keep playing to our own strengths. We also have to guard against complacency, which can creep in when you are playing non-league opposition.

"Our preparations will be just a thorough as in any other week and hopefully we can get the result everyone is expecting us to get," he went on.

"Malahide come with nothing to lose. They are the underdogs. It could be tricky, yet I would be reasonably optimistic that we can progress," the Rovers captain added.

McNamara is well aware of what the F.A.I. Cup means to Sligo Rovers supporters and is determined that they will not fall victims to a giant killing act this weekend.

"The Cup always generates a special buzz. There should be a big crowd and a good atmosphere. Anyone who has come to the Showgrounds this season will know the sort of football we are capable of. Malahide won’t make it easy for us, they will fight and scrap for everything, but we should get through," he maintained.

Meanwhile, the Rovers captain was delighted with the 4-1 win over Galway on Saturday night last, despite the absence of his central defensive partner, Liam Burns.

"It was nice to get back-to-back wins. It keeps the pressure on at the top and that too is important," he said.

"Liam and myself have forged a good understanding. He is an excellent player to have alongside you. Our defence has been pretty solid so far and it is just a case of keeping the momentum going.

"There is a long way to go yet in the league and it is vital that we stay in contention. We all want to get back to the Premier Division, and have a long cup run into the bargain," the skipper stressed.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts

Sean Connor on Malahide game

IN recent years the draw for the F.A.I. Cup has had a penchant for handing Sligo Rovers opening round fixtures against non-league opposition.

The enduring romance and continued attraction of the Cup is once again reflected in Saturday night’s tie against Leinster Senior League side, Malahide United.

It is the classic scenario, the eircom League side expected to win, the underdog with nothing to lose...a potential shock waiting to upset the odds.

Rovers managed to avoid such embarrassment in fixtures against Leeds A.F.C., Greystones and Moyle Park in their last three cup ties against teams from outside their own ranks.

Manager, Sean Connor, however, is guarding against any complacency and is taking nothing for granted ahead of his first F.A.I. Cup clash.

“I was pleased with the draw when I saw it. The first thing you want is a home tie and we were fortunate enough to get that. The second thing you look for is a team you feel you have a chance of beating and obviously we also got that.

“Yet, allowing for those considerations, we are not going to underestimate Malahide. We will treat them with the same respect as though we were playing Cork City, Shelbourne, Dublin City, or any other club. We don’t want to allow them become cup giant killers at our expense,” Connor said.

Malahide were promoted from the Second Division of the L.S.L. under former Monaghan United boss, Bobby Browne, last season and consolidated their position in the top flight by finishing fifth in a season just ended.

The Dubliners also reached two Cup Finals, losing the Metropolitan Cup and Charlie Cahill Cup to Crumlin.

As part of his preparations, Connor watched Malahide in one of those fixtures and despite a four-nil defeat, the Rovers manager felt they were well organised.

“The first goal ‘killed’ them. They worked hard, but they won’t be as fit as we are. They have one or two experienced players and I have no doubt they will rise to the occasion.

“We must remain professional, patient and clinical in taking chances that come our way,” the Rovers manager maintained.

Connor stressed that he would not allow his players lose their focus or slacken in any aspect of the match just because they were pitted against non-league opposition.

“That is my job and no one will be under any illusions as to what we have to do. This is an important fixture for myself, the players and indeed the club. We want to win it and to progress to the next round,” he said.

Connor will have to plan without the injured Liam Burns, the central defender having signed an extension to his contract until the end of July and Rovers hoping that he will eventually put pen to paper for the rest of the season.

“Liam is a loss. He failed a fitness test prior to last Friday’s game against Galway and we have decided to give him a full week to recover prior to the Limerick league match.

“ We will have to plan without him, but again it is the chance for someone to come in and do a job,” he explained.

The Rovers manager says he is eagerly looking forward to his first Cup match in charge at the Showgrounds.

“The Cup is always special, no matter what country you are in. I remember getting to the F.A. Cup First Round proper when I was coach under John McGinley at Ilkeston Town and there was a great buzz around the place then.

“I am aware of what the F.A.I. Cup means to the people of Sligo. When I arrived here, the talk was of 1983 and winning the trophy for the first time and of the treble under Willie McStay in 1994.

“The Cup has provided Sligo Rovers with some of their better days and, hopefully, we can go on and add to that,” Connor went on.

Ironically, Connor’s player/ coach, Gerry Carr, scored the winning goal against Derry City at Lansdowne Road in ‘94 and the manager has revealed that some of the younger players in the squad have asked the defender about that experience.

“Their thoughts are most definitely on the Cup this week and the youngsters were keen to know what it was like to play in the Cup Final.

“Things are beginning to build up and there is a good atmosphere about the place. Playing in the league brings its own particular pressure and we are doing reasonably well in the First Division.

“However, as manager, an extended Cup run is something I want. When I took over at Sligo Rovers I made it perfectly clear that I was here to win things. I would be delighted to lift the F.A.I. Cup in Sligo.

“Managers come and go at football clubs all the time. Most are remembered only if they win things. I want the people of Sligo to remember me as a winner,” Connor declared.

Turning his thoughts to the game, the manager feels it will be physical, typically hard fought, with Malahide likely to try to close Rovers down at every opportunity.

“When you play against teams in your own league, or indeed above it, you can expect sides to do certain things. It is predictable in many respects, teams keep their shape, work a certain way and are well disciplined.

“The fact is that non-league teams sometimes lose their discipline and that indiscipline can cause you problems, given that you just simply don’t know what is going to happen. That is something we are going to have to be cautious about.

“Having said all of that, we will concentrate on our own game. We have a lot of players making their F.A.I. Cup debuts and I sense they have an appetite for it and are looking forward to it.

“It will be different to what we are normally accustomed to, and it goes without saying that we want a victory,” he added.

“Winning the Cup means winning a relatively small number of games. Every match you win brings you nearer the big prize. Getting to the next stage is all that matters. I am determined that Sligo Rovers will be in the hat for the next round,” Connor said.

He has also appealed to supporters to turn out in large numbers and to get behind the team.

“This is a big game for us. Malahide come as having nothing to lose. Of course they would love to be the team to be remembered for causing the proverbial shock. We are intent on ensuring that won’t happen,” the Rovers manager concluded.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    why do you always put up every little thing from the champion?most of us read it in the paper!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by roversforever
    why do you always put up every little thing from the champion?most of us read it in the paper!
    Sorry I have annoyed you roversforever .But last time I checked this was the SLIGO ROVERS FORUM for SLIGO ROVERS RELATED NEWS and that is what this is. I dont put every little thing from the Champion in, if you look again all I have put in is stuff about Sligo Rovers

And how can you say most people have read it in the paper? How can you speak for most people? Maybe you read it, but it does'nt mean everybody else has!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    some people cant get the champion so fair play to sligoman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman
    MALAHIDE United manager, Bobby Browne, believes his side face an uphill task as they bid to cause a shock in Saturday’s tie at the Showgrounds.

well i suppose thats his perogative

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts

Eleven-a-side.com's match preview

Where: The Showgrounds
    When: 7.30pm, June 11, 2005
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Match odds:
    Sligo Rovers: 1/5
    Draw: 4/1
    Malahide United: 10/1
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Referee:
    P. Duddy (Donegal)
    Top scorers:
    Michael McNamara - 4
    Team news:
    Liam Burns is Sligo’s only absentee.
    Recent form:
    Sligo Rovers
    Jun 3, 2005: Sligo Rovers 4-1 Galway Utd Match report
    May 31, 2005: Sligo Rovers 1-0 Finn Harps Match report
    May 26, 2005: Dundalk 1-2 Sligo Rovers Match report

Malahide United
    No games in database.

Previous meetings:
    No previous meetings in the eleven-a-side.com database.

eleven-a-side.com verdict:
    Rovers are going well in the First Division. No slip-ups expected here. 3-0

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman
    Referee: P. Duddy (Donegal)
    Look who's back lads. He should do a good job as always.