Page 28 of 46 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Evan Ferguson F Brighton b.2004

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,352 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    Definitely stay especially as I fancy Brighton to sneak into the Champions League. If that happens I think both manager and the likes of McAllister and Caicedo may stay as well. The important thing is that he plays regularly and a move to one of the big six would make that way less likely.
    Champions League is a bit ambitious but even if they get into the Europa League, it'll be a great experience. Plus more games all around, so he can be rotated out to ensure he doesn't burn out (if needed) while still getting plenty of game time.

Not really seeing an immediate need to move.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    He's respected, he's obviously suited to Brighton's style and he's exceeding expectations. As pineapple stu says, even the Europa League would be great experience. Another year at Brighton wouldn't do him any harm at all. Mad to think he is still growing, he needs a nurturing environment that takes this into account - PL Elite/Champions League might be too "chew 'em up and spit 'em out" for his stage of development.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,377 Posts
    Beat United at the weekend and they're guaranteed European competition next season, correct?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,352 Posts
    Cup runners-up haven't qualified for Europe for a few years now I think.

Have a feeling Scotland started that when Queen of the South qualified that way. No-one was thinking of the co-efficient...

Think it's a UEFA rule now

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    586 Posts
    He'd be mad to go to Man Utd, frankly. Think it was Solskjaer who said it's a club that is perpetually one defeat away from a crisis. It's a snake pit there, and someone like him would have every chance of getting chewed up by relentless media attention on any below-average performance. You just have to look at how Harry Maguire went from one of the best defenders in Europe and then a few months later graduated into being a running punchline, and there are other examples: Jaden Sancho, Donny van der Beek, Antony Martial, all young players signed up for big money and with big expectations, all struggling big time now (albeit in Martial's case it appears to be a total inability to stay fit). So many other players have gone there over the last ten years and had nightmarish stints. I think Ferguson would really struggle there, where as with Brighton there is still the benefit of limited expectations. It seems like United are going to go after Kane in the summer anyway, who with his experience and high profile probably suits them better (I actually think he'd be a brilliant signing for them, he's the exact kind of forward they need). Ferguson should stay right where he is, for at least one more season, if not more.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    He'd be mad to go to Man Utd, frankly. Think it was Solskjaer who said it's a club that is perpetually one defeat away from a crisis. It's a snake pit there, and someone like him would have every chance of getting chewed up by relentless media attention on any below-average performance. You just have to look at how Harry Maguire went from one of the best defenders in Europe and then a few months later graduated into being a running punchline, and there are other examples: Jaden Sancho, Donny van der Beek, Antony Martial, all young players signed up for big money and with big expectations, all struggling big time now (albeit in Martial's case it appears to be a total inability to stay fit). So many other players have gone there over the last ten years and had nightmarish stints. I think Ferguson would really struggle there, where as with Brighton there is still the benefit of limited expectations. It seems like United are going to go after Kane in the summer anyway, who with his experience and high profile probably suits them better (I actually think he'd be a brilliant signing for them, he's the exact kind of forward they need). Ferguson should stay right where he is, for at least one more season, if not more.
    There are also a lot of players who have gone to United and thrived

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    586 Posts
    Of course, and I don't meant to say that it would be impossible for him to do very well there. There would be big opportunities at United, especially if Ten Hag - who looks like a manager who does decent work with young players, and his signings for United this season have done reasonably well - gets that house in order. But there's a big frailty in the mentality of that club, a rot that is dug in deep, and even trillions of Qatari money might take a while to eradicate it. I feel the balance of probabilities still weighs against Ferguson moving there now. If he goes a couple of games without scoring for Brighton most wouldn't bat an eyelid. If that happened at United there would be plenty of people - fans, media, Roy Keane desperate for every last bit of camera he can get on himself - throwing abuse at him. Maybe he could handle that, but is it worth the risk?
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Of course, and I don't meant to say that it would be impossible for him to do very well there. There would be big opportunities at United, especially if Ten Hag - who looks like a manager who does decent work with young players, and his signings for United this season have done reasonably well - gets that house in order. But there's a big frailty in the mentality of that club, a rot that is dug in deep, and even trillions of Qatari money might take a while to eradicate it. I feel the balance of probabilities still weighs against Ferguson moving there now. If he goes a couple of games without scoring for Brighton most wouldn't bat an eyelid. If that happened at United there would be plenty of people - fans, media, Roy Keane desperate for every last bit of camera he can get on himself - throwing abuse at him. Maybe he could handle that, but is it worth the risk?
    United has been horrifically mismanaged for years and the recruitment policy was a symptom of that. If it was the United of previous managers Id be telling Ferguson to stay well away but I do believe that Ten Hag is finally the right man in charge and it would be good place to go. I think there'll be a lot of deadwood cleared from there in the summer, with a lot of the bad characters in the dressing room gone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,377 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    There are also a lot of players who have gone to United and thrived
    Who was the last 18 year old to go there and thrive? Rooney?
    Of their recent signings, Fernandes is probably the biggest success, and he has blown hot and cold for at least the last 12 months. Let Ferguson stay where he is, make mistakes that aren't going to have 70,000 fans on his back, and sign for a club the size of United when he's ready

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Who was the last 18 year old to go there and thrive? Rooney?
    Of their recent signings, Fernandes is probably the biggest success, and he has blown hot and cold for at least the last 12 months. Let Ferguson stay where he is, make mistakes that aren't going to have 70,000 fans on his back, and sign for a club the size of United when he's ready
    Garnacho doing well right now, Rashford came in young, Greenwood (before the obvious off field stuff). Obviously they came through the ranks into the 1st team but they are examples of young players doing well in 1st team recently.

Fernandes has been one of best players under Ten Hag. Of players signed by Ten Hag, Casemiro, Erikson, Martinez have been excellent. Antony bit hot and cold, but he is liked by the fans. Even Wieghorst has been getting good support because of his workrate even though hes crap.

As I said Im not saying 100% Ferguson should go there. I do think it would a good signing for both parties if it was to happen though. He could be a star there

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,697 Posts
    I know you’re biased on this Razor and I actually agree that if he were to go to any big club as an 18 year old and be handled well and with care it would be United (or Arsenal), but this is not the time for Ferguson to move. He has more to learn, more to do and a chance to do it at a high level and at a progressive and exceptionally well run and club. The big move will come and it’ll come when the timing is better for him - and hopefully it is to United (for your sake!)

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    925 Posts
    Ah yeah, there's no doubt I am biased, but I'm finding myself watching more Brighton games these days than United because of Ferguson so it would be great if I could combine the two LOL.

Incidentally I just read that he's not ruled out for the cup semi final in Wembley. If he got winner against United there the transfer momentum could go into overdrive

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    606 Posts
    Ah yeah, there's no doubt I am biased, but I'm finding myself watching more Brighton games these days than United because of Ferguson so it would be great if I could combine the two LOL.

Incidentally I just read that he's not ruled out for the cup semi final in Wembley. If he got winner against United there the transfer momentum could go into overdrive
    He's a great man for getting badly injured - where the video is obvious it's a bad injury and the scan coming back clean. It's a decent knack to have - if you're gonna get injured, let them be minor ones

15. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    505 Posts
    Puts pen to paper on a new five year contract. Can see him overtaking Welbeck as first choice striker next season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,377 Posts
    Five year deal, still only 18. Great for the player and the club. He'll probably move for crazy money in two years.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Puts pen to paper on a new five year contract. Can see him overtaking Welbeck as first choice striker next season.

Has he not already taken over from Welbeck as the starting striker? I know there are some games when Welbeck starts but when everyone is fit I think Ferguson has been the main starter at this point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    247 Posts
    From my vantage point Brighton seems to rotate them. Often one will start, and the other will come on for the last 30 minutes or so. Then the next match they switch roles. Anyway, congratulations to Evan. Excited to continue following his journey.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    505 Posts
    Has he not already taken over from Welbeck as the starting striker? I know there are some games when Welbeck starts but when everyone is fit I think Ferguson has been the main starter at this point.
    Had he been fit for the semi final he probably would have started imo but both lads were rotating in and out of the starting XI once Welbeck was back fit again. Welbeck even starting back to back games recently and was picked to start against Spurs rather than Ferguson.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    208 Posts
    I know Bohs have a "Bazunu clause" with any future transfers for Ferguson - is 10% the standard rate in such contracts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,697 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by culloty82 View Post
    I know Bohs have a "Bazunu clause" with any future transfers for Ferguson - is 10% the standard rate in such contracts?
    https://foot.ie/threads/260990-Evan-...t=#post2143571

Page 28 of 46 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast