Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Great finish indeed. Was playing poorly up to that point, touch was gone a bit. Better second half, still missed a couple of chances. Great talent

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,643 Posts
    That finish was filthier than a rats ball bag.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    484 Posts
    Anyone got a link to the goal that works in Asia?
    Thanks

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Last edited by Eirambler; 05/04/2023 at 5:57 AM.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,099 Posts
    https://m.independent.ie/sport/socce...-42419044.html

"Amazing" and "important" is the verdict of Alexis MacAllister on Ferguson.

Acknowledges he wants having his best game. Not having your best game and scoring that goal for the winner will do.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    565 Posts
    Was the goal more of a stroke, than a back-heel ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Was the goal more of a stroke, than a back-heel ?
    Yeah, those kind of goals are often referred to as backheels despite clearly not being stuck with the heel! It's a flick I suppose, the strike/stroke itself is with the inside of his foot, but the skill is doing it with one foot behind the other. I guess it's a Rabona of sorts, but that word is usually used for shots/crosses where the ball his struck through the laces. It's certainly more of a Rabona than a backheel though!

I think the first time I saw one was Lee Sharpe against Barcelona back in the day. Although you'd see that type of finish relatively often, the level of difficulty varies hugely, and Ferguson's is well up there in terms of difficulty (the distance the ball is behind him, weaker foot). The fact that there are videos circulating of him doing it a couple of times before eliminates the 'freak' element too.

9. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,099 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    The fact that there are videos circulating of him doing it a couple of times before eliminates the 'freak' element too.
    Eliminates the fact that the goal is a freak. Emphasizes the fact that the lad is a freak.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    438 Posts
    He loves those little flicks. Does it times rather than take the ball into feet to keep attacking moves moving. He did one in the game against France when the ball came to him that put Knight I think it was into space to run with the ball which took the defender out of the game who expected him to hold the ball up.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,099 Posts
    Article on the Athletic by Andy Naylor

"Brighton's Evan Ferguson quickly moving into elite striker territory" is the headline.

"The scale of the potential of Evan Ferguson is frightening" is the first line.

https://theathletic.com/4381121/2023...shared-article

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    The comments under the article are nearly more interesting than the article itself. Just seems to be pages of supporters of "Big 6" clubs saying he can't be much good because he's 18 and plays for Brighton (not sure they'd be saying the same if he was English...).
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    858 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    The comments under the article are nearly more interesting than the article itself. Just seems to be pages of supporters of "Big 6" clubs saying he can't be much good because he's 18 and plays for Brighton (not sure they'd be saying the same if he was English...).
    I noticed something similar on Twitter yesterday, there was a lot of "calm down he's done f all yet". I agree if he was English or Spanish or Argentinan it would be different. Garnacho at United I think would be more highly rated by the great unwashed.

It's why I never comment on anything in a public forum, and why foot.ie, for the most part, is a welcome corner of the internet to rant and rave about personal views on football where there is a good level of football knowledge amongst the contributors

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    foot.ie, for the most part, is a welcome corner of the internet to rant and rave about personal views on football where there is a good level of football knowledge amongst the contributors
    The only place I've ever come across, to be honest.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Elite striker territory? The best author is clearly getting carried away. Ferguson is decent, you could probably upgrade that to good. But Elite? Not even close at this stage of his career. One thing he'll need to become elite is an extra yard of pace or find a way to consistently barge past defenders.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Elite striker territory? The best author is clearly getting carried away. Ferguson is decent, you could probably upgrade that to good. But Elite? Not even close at this stage of his career. One thing he'll need to become elite is an extra yard of pace or find a way to consistently barge past defenders.
    Is Kane elite? No great pace, but his other attributes enable him to score a lot of goals at the highest level. The reference to elite in Ferguson's context is about potential, he's 18 and scoring regularly in one of Europe's top leagues, and different kinds of goals, showing incredible awareness, movement and that quality that cannot be coached - instinct. Maybe that's the very quality that ultimately equates to elite.

18. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    858 Posts
    Hes definitely an elite teenager, if he continues his progress he will be world class no doubt. I think some people get caught up with how quick Mbappe is and think thats what you need.

Calling Ferguson decent at this stage is just fishing for comments I think.

If we look at a list of elite strikers in recent years not that many have blinding pace, of course there are some like Henry and the 2 Ronaldos.

Giroud, Drogba, Shearer, Benezema, Van Nistleroy, Van Persie, Zlatan, Kane, Rooney, Levandowski, Higuain, Larsson and Im probably leaving out some. Even Haaland, hes fast when he gets up a head of steam, but I wouldnt consider him as reliant on his pace.
    Last edited by Razors left peg; 05/04/2023 at 6:11 PM. Reason: Expanding on Comment

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts
    One of the things that both Kane and Lewa have is a stunning first touch. Ferguson's first touch can at times be heavy. But he's got years to become a better player.

His movement is probably elite right now. His finishing is good to very good. Everything else is a work in progress.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,099 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    One of the things that both Kane and Lewa have is a stunning first touch. Ferguson's first touch can at times be heavy. But he's got years to become a better player.

His movement is probably elite right now. His finishing is good to very good. Everything else is a work in progress.
    And even if "everything else is a work in progress" a lot of "everything else" is miles ahead of where it had right to be. Poor Mark is doing a terrible job of tempering hype.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    606 Posts
    Even with the little gap between this goal and his last one, he's still averaging a goal every 125 minutes, with only Haaland (76) and Kane (118) scoring at a faster rate than him (of the 23 highest scorers). I know it's only been four goals in 539 league minutes, but when we add in cup and international appearances, he's on nine in 1115 minutes, still slightly better than a goal every 125 minutes.

It does kind of feel like Kane's Premier League breakthrough at the end of 2012-13 (when all hope of him considering a switch were extinguished) - and Ferguson is two and a half years younger than Kane was then.

I know we don't want to get over-optimistic at this early point, but his progress is very, very promising

23. Thanks From:

Page 26 of 43 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast