Page 25 of 43 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Evan Ferguson F Brighton b.2004

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Big difference between being quoted £50m and actually paying it though, I'd have thought?

He's ultimately moved for £20m.
    Like it’s been said it was one RB club to another. If it was Dortmund for instance it may have been 30+

Plus like it’s also been said Ferguson is far more proven as he’s shown he can hack it in a top league whereas with Sesko, while he is a fantastic player with a very high ceiling, we have little evidence he can hack at that level and you are in the end just buying him based on potential. It could be Haaland and be generational or a Dabur and be so bad that the new club moves him on only 3 months into the season!

I do get the green tinted stuff in the past but this is surely one case where we can safely say the hype is genuinely deserved?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Maybe, tut the point on United is that they didn't deem him worth 50m, so they moved on. An initial quote isn't necessarily what a player's actually worth.
    No player is worth the money they go but at the end of the day the player is worth whatever the selling club deems him worth. And if teams really want Evan Ferguson the bidding will have to start at 40m to even get Brighton a bit interested.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,268 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAD View Post
    I do get the green tinted stuff in the past but this is surely one case where we can safely say the hype is genuinely deserved?
    Well so far I'm saying (a) I don't see him moving for £100m plus; I think most people are in agreement with that and (b) there's a big difference between a club quoting £50m for a player and a player actually being worth £50m; I think that's reasonable too.

Ferguson is absolutely a completely different prospect to Connolly/Idah/Parrott so far as I can see. I've earlier said the buzz about him feels similar to a young Robbie Keane. Though let's be careful about saying he's proven he can hack it in a higher league than Sisko; he's only scored three league goals so far (his Cup and international goals have all been against lower level opposition, though it's of course great he can score regularly against them), and Salzburg have a reputation for unearthing gems of players which probably helps them too. (Dabbur was 27 leaving Salzburg and though I know the point you're making, it's a bit of an unfair comparison)

Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    at the end of the day the player is worth whatever the selling club deems him worth.
    I don't agree with that - what the buying club will pay is also definitely a factor. Plenty more fish in the sea ultimately.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 01/04/2023 at 11:07 AM.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    I don't agree with that - what the buying club will pay is also definitely a factor. Plenty more fish in the sea ultimately.
    Wilf Zaha proof of that. Was priced out of a move from Palace for years by the price Palace set.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Well so far I'm saying (a) I don't see him moving for £100m plus; I think most people are in agreement with that and (b) there's a big difference between a club quoting £50m for a player and a player actually being worth £50m; I think that's reasonable too.

Ferguson is absolutely a completely different prospect to Connolly/Idah/Parrott so far as I can see. I've earlier said the buzz about him feels similar to a young Robbie Keane. Though let's be careful about saying he's proven he can hack it in a higher league than Sisko; he's only scored three league goals so far (his Cup and international goals have all been against lower level opposition, though it's of course great he can score regularly against them), and Salzburg have a reputation for unearthing gems of players which probably helps them too. (Dabbur was 27 leaving Salzburg and though I know the point you're making, it's a bit of an unfair comparison)

I agree with him not being 100+ now. The view of how much a player is worth is subjective, the only thing we have to go on is what a club pays for them. Buying a player is like buying a computer, a lot of factors go into the amount more than just the players ability, things like age, the league he plays in etc all come into it.

It’s just everything about him is quality, I don’t see a clear weakness in his game so far. Well he has, week in week out Ferguson is playing a higher quality of player than Sesko is facing. And yes Salzburg do but you only ever hear about the players who made it and don’t see the players who struggle, he may make it ofcourse but I wouldn’t say I’ve seen enough to say he’s definitely going to be the next Haaland, he could well be but again buying him would carry an element of risk that wasn’t the case with Haaland. It is a fair comparison, it shows the range of where this could go for a player like Sesko, I am confident he’s going to be better than Dabbur though but I don’t think it’s a given he’ll be a star like it was with Haaland.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    No player is worth the money they go but at the end of the day the player is worth whatever the selling club deems him worth. And if teams really want Evan Ferguson the bidding will have to start at 40m to even get Brighton a bit interested.
    A player is worth whatever the selling club is willing to accept and the buying club willing to pay.

When that agreement is found we will know his worth but your assertion is accurate in my view. I can't see Brighton entering a negotiation with a club that says 20 and maybe they do at 30 but they don't stay there.

Have to repeat my point here that the green tinted glasses trope should be left out of all discussions regarding Ferguson and those using it are reading Foot.ie, ybig.ie and nothing else for their football media consumption.
    Last edited by Olé Olé; 01/04/2023 at 3:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    Evan is just a monster of the Kane, Haaland, Lewandowski variety.

This is the truth. At 18, Lewandowski was trying to break into an Ekstrakalasa team (I can tell you it's not a very high level), Kane was going out on loan down the leagues, Haaland was still in Norway (?), Ferguson is scoring goals for a EPL team pushing for European football and scoring for Ireland.

As someone said, he doesn't have weaknesses, just strengths that are visibly improving all the time.

Even right now, even if he never got any better and stayed at this level, he'd be worth about 35m. Probably more.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,268 Posts
    Yeah Haaland was with Molde at 18. But Dortmund got him for 20m from Salzburg at 19, when he was setting goalscoring records in the Champions League. So I don't think the assertions that bidding would start at 40m for Ferguson are all that well-founded really. At the moment anyway. And I'm more interested in watching how he develops this year rather than worry about his transfer value

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    Agree with the last sentence Stu. Would like to see how he finishes up at the end of this season and actually would prefer to wait until the end of next season to see how he continues to develop before any talk of transfers and value.

He has massive potential and it’s genuinely exciting to think how good he can be (and in many respects how good he already is) but he’s got a few more milestones to reach, I think, over a longer timeframe than just three months. If he continues as is I wouldn’t be surprised to see him move in a year or two for €70m+.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    732 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAD View Post
    ...I don’t see a clear weakness in his game so far...
    Someone posted link to an interesting analysis of him earlier. The only negative observation I recall from it is that he has a strong bias towards shooting with power over precision, sometimes incorrectly. But then I seem to recall a similar observation of Marcus Rashford a couple of years ago - Man Utd were trying to coach it out of him - and look at him now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    It's Fergie time!! Go on kid!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,268 Posts
    Sweet!

First league goal in 2½ months, surprisingly. Was close to writing him off...

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    What a feckin' touch for the goal! Class.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    355 Posts

Lovely finish.
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

16. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post

Lovely finish.
    Boys a Genius!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Boys a Genius!
    Managers should be paying the FAI for the chance of fielding a team with him up top.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Boys a Genius!
    It's fairly clear he is. Not many strikers have the audacity or ability to attempt that. It's the goal of an elite striker really isn't it? Not to mind an 18 year old...

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    Someone posted link to an interesting analysis of him earlier. The only negative observation I recall from it is that he has a strong bias towards shooting with power over precision, sometimes incorrectly. But then I seem to recall a similar observation of Marcus Rashford a couple of years ago - Man Utd were trying to coach it out of him - and look at him now.
    I have to laugh. I read that article and agreed and whilst his goal tonight doesn't disprove the analysis it was pretty precise and not very powerful!

21. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    It's fairly clear he is. Not many strikers have the audacity or ability to attempt that. It's the goal of an elite striker really isn't it? Not to mind an 18 year old...
    he makes it look easy.. top class stuff.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Another few million added to Brighton's valuation for the lad.

Page 25 of 43 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast