Page 15 of 42 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Evan Ferguson F Brighton b.2004

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Already halfway to matching the total Premier League goals scored by Connolly, Idah and Parrott combined.

It's early days yet, but there's a feel of Robbie Keane off this guy that I just haven't gotten with any of our other options
    Ha! Told you there was a 45-goal striker amongst them - if that happens just need 3 25-goal internationals to his the 120-goal mark I set to be around the total scored by all our main strikers over the course of Keane's career (basically the same idea as in Moneyball)

Also, at this point it's no longer super-ridiculous to make this comparison (although it may still be quite ridiculous, but who cares?)

Minutes per goal in the Premier League this season:
    Salah - 241
    Nunez - 180
    Rashford - 180
    Mitrovic - 125 (incidentally, Obafemi was scoring at a similar rate to Mitrovic over the last four months of 2012/22)
    Kane - 119
    Haaland - 62
    Ferguson - 60!!!!!!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    I think those calling for calm heads and not to get carried away are basing it on experience of players bursting on the scene and then falling away but looking at the goal, it's not just his run and finish that's impressive, it's also what he does after he scores.

He doesn't run to the corner flag going ballistic after getting an equaliser. This fella is no show pony. You wouldn't have blamed a young fella going to claim the adulation but Ferguson wasn't having it. He ran in, grabbed the ball and told the other 2 who wanted to celebrate to get the **** out of his way, it was time to focus on getting a winner.
    He did the same v Arsenal. His first ever Premiership goal...

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    https://www.theguardian.com/football...eekends-action

Not that I think we have any real concern but number 3 in this article from the Guardian mentions Ferguson’s England eligibility. It may be the opening salvo from the English media in attempts to try and create something of a stir around his international future.

England will soon be in urgent enough need of a long term Kane replacement themselves…

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post

Not that I think we have any real concern but number 3 in this article from the Guardian mentions Ferguson’s England eligibility. It may be the opening salvo from the English media in attempts to try and create something of a stir around his international future.

England will soon be in urgent enough need of a long term Kane replacement themselves…
    Blame Paul Rowan for his **** article which got it all started recently. English FA would have known he's eligible for them two years ago when he joined Brighton. Luckily for us Barry Ferguson wasn't good enough to play in England and returned home to play in Ireland.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Don't know who's demanding Ferguson be capped to tie him down, completely baseless claim on top of pure speculation. We're demanding he play because he's playing and scoring in the Premier League.

6. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post

John Brewin wouldnt have a clue what hes talking about here. Ignore.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    I must admit I like brewin whenever he appears on the Guardian football podcast, but reading that article it looks a poorly written, lazy affair. We need Ferguson right now to arrest our slide into the international football wastelands, not just some committal-to-country exercise.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts
    Brewin is fine but its all top of the head stuff, would imagine it would come as a suprise to him that Ferguson all ready has two Ireland caps.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    Could also be a little off the cuff ranting into his ear from his colleague Barry Glendenning who I do rather like but is prone enough to same and he didn't know of Ferguson until his recent goal v Arsenal as he admitted on the podcast which was a surprise in many ways and suggests Glendenning isn't quite near the pulse of Irish football.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Not getting too excited about Ferguson yet. We heard it before recently with Connolly and Parrott and even Idah. Fingers crossed but very early days.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Not getting too excited about Ferguson yet. We heard it before recently with Connolly and Parrott and even Idah. Fingers crossed but very early days.
    Booooooh!!!!!

Then again, at your age, calmness is the order of the day
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

14. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Could also be a little off the cuff ranting into his ear from his colleague Barry Glendenning who I do rather like but is prone enough to same and he didn't know of Ferguson until his recent goal v Arsenal as he admitted on the podcast which was a surprise in many ways and suggests Glendenning isn't quite near the pulse of Irish football.
    I never got got any sense that glendenning has anything but the most superficial knowledge of irish football

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColourfulPeanut View Post
    Don't know who's demanding Ferguson be capped to tie him down, completely baseless claim on top of pure speculation. We're demanding he play because he's playing and scoring in the Premier League.
    This. He has to play. He's scoring goals in one of the big 4 leagues. Whatever his age is, that's something we've not had in quite a while now. Should start both games in March, and should probably be hooked at half time v Latvia. No sense risking an injury ahead of France
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    This. He has to play. He's scoring goals in one of the big 4 leagues. Whatever his age is, that's something we've not had in quite a while now. Should start both games in March, and should probably be hooked at half time v Latvia. No sense risking an injury ahead of France

We have one striker scoring goals in the Premier league and we have ......................................tumbleweed.. ..............what is there to even think about?

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    We have one striker scoring goals in the Premier league and we have ......................................tumbleweed.. ..............what is there to even think about?
    Simple as this for me. He's demonstrated game intelligence and composure in multiple EPL appearances.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    I am legitimately convinced Kenny will overthink this and do something batsh*t crazy like starting Hogan against Latvia, then Obafemi against France.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    I am legitimately convinced Kenny will overthink this and do something batsh*t crazy like starting Hogan against Latvia, then Obafemi against France.
    Starting Obafemi against France would be ok if it was the Obafemi of this time last year. I've been critical of Kenny recently but in fairness to him he has capped Ferguson twice before any of us were calling for him to be in squad.

He's done plenty to annoy us lately but I don't think we need to be making up what he might do when he was ahead of anyone on here in regards to Ferguson

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    541 Posts
    it's a pretty good quote, when he had to defend the selection:

'I know it’s an early promotion for Evan,' Kenny added. 'I suppose the way I have to look at it: if Evan goes on loan in January, which is quite possible, between March and June, which is a key time for us, we can’t predict how he will do, but if he went and did well and got regular gametime and scored goals, he could easily come into the picture in March or June.
    'It can change that quickly. Everyone’s first loan isn’t always a success and we can’t count on that. He scores different types of goals, he scores great headed goals which is rare enough now, we are not producing that type of player.He’s a natural goalscorer and it will be good experience for him in the squad.'

Basically, decent chance Evan will be in the squad entirely on merit by March, so I'd rather bed him in now where there's an opportunity than wait till March when the competitive games start and it's more difficult...

23. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Ferguson has obviously even blown the expectations that a loan spell would go well out of the water so there's every reason to believe that he'll be our first choice if his form continues.

As I said we've plenty to complain about but this is not one of them there no point in manufacturing outrage that he might not be picked.

25. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    541 Posts
    It's a bit of a tough one. I think in general, Parrott and Obafemi have built up a good partnership. Obafemi's pace can hurt any team in the world.He's genuinely got Mbappe level acceleration. I think both Obafemi and Parrott can pick out a pass for the other, Parrott can win the aerial battles, both hold up the ball well, both can shoot from distance. Think the Parrott goal home against Scotland and Lithuania, Parrott's miss away in Scotland, Obafemi's goals against Scotland and Armenia.

Obviously Evan should probably play - but not sure who his partner should be. Almost certain we'll play a 5-3-2. Parrott is probably the more natural partner, in that he can drop deeper, Parrott's 10 to Ferguson's 9. But there's a real lack of pace then with no wingers. A team of players without the pace to beat someone. You'd like to have someone like Ogbene at RWB just to provide some electricity. But that won't happen cause he's never played there for ireland and he's not gonna be picked ahead of Doc.

If all fit, Kenny's side against france will probably be:

Bazunu (Should play Kelleher)

Doherty
    O'Shea (wouldn't be surprised with Seamus or Andy)
    Egan
    Collins
    McClean/Brady/O'Dowda

Cullen
    Molumby (Hendrick or Hodge an outside chance)
    Knight (same with McGrath, Browne)

Parrott (or Oba)
    Ferguson

-

I know everyone thinks it's crazy but I'd play Duffy. I know the drawbacks but he's such a threat in the opposition box. It's chaos. I think it's worth it. Every set piece feels like a potential goal and sometimes the goals just come from nothing. While out of possession, I trust his defensive instincts. I know he'll hit a few stray passes a game trying to play out and over the course of 10 games, it might cost us a goal or two - but it's not like we're immune to mistakes without him. I also think that Egan has played significantly worse building from the back when in the central position. So Collins-Duffy-Egan would be my selection.
    Last edited by elatedscum; 26/01/2023 at 2:56 AM.

Page 15 of 42 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast