Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 24 of 42 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Evan Ferguson F Brighton b.2004

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,213 Posts
    Fair point. Though if/when Ferguson signs a new contract, will he not have a release fee inserted?
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 30/03/2023 at 7:39 AM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    If he went for £50m he'd be Brightons third most expensive departure ever. Also think if they were offered £50m tomorrow they'd take it.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    I think you’re in the ballpark Nigel. Gakpo strikes me as a guy who one would think might have a similar valuation. A longer track record than Ferguson but at a lower level.

I think a smart move from a big club would be to buy Ferguson for around £40-60-million and then let him stay on loan at Brighton for another full season to continue his development.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    If he went for £50m he'd be Brightons third most expensive departure ever. Also think if they were offered £50m tomorrow they'd take it.
    They’d only take it if Ferguson was pushing to leave also. As high as that is they could get it close to triple figures if he has an even better season next season plus he’s now an important player for them so whatever way you look at it there’s no reason to sell him now.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAD View Post
    They’d only take it if Ferguson was pushing to leave also. As high as that is they could get it close to triple figures if he has an even better season next season plus he’s now an important player for them so whatever way you look at it there’s no reason to sell him now.
    And if he had a bad season they'd regret not taking the money.

For a club like Brighton, a transfer fee of that size is always a reason to sell.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts
    Would there be many clubs willing to pay 50m for a player and then hang on for a season for him to arrive? Cant really think of anything similar, Sesko maybe but that was between the the red bull clubs, so internal accounting really.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    And if he had a bad season they'd regret not taking the money.

For a club like Brighton, a transfer fee of that size is always a reason to sell.
    In most cases they may do but an 18 year old showing the potential Evan has I doubt it.

Bar someone uncharacteristic happening I can’t see the 50m price tag going down unless he gets a season ending injury or something like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Think there's a bit of green tinted glasses going on. Ferguson is a special talent, but not a £50m player just yet.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Think there's a bit of green tinted glasses going on. Ferguson is a special talent, but not a £50m player just yet.
    He may not be yet, but in 2 years if he keeps this trajectory going he could be $100 Million. If as a 19 year old next season he has 20 Premiership goals his value goes into the stratosphere. So teams if they could get him for $50 million now might see that as cheap.

Antony cost United £82 million and he had average enough stats in a weaker league. Ferguson is proving himself in the Premiership much younger.

I think £50 million would be a bargain for him right now... but I also think Brighton turn it down. They turned down more money for Caicedo from Arsenal in the January window. Mudryk cost Chelsea a lot more than 50 million and he was also unproven in the league.

If anything, in an Era where a full back could cost £50 million, I think we are unvaluing what this kid is worth.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    I don’t see where you get the impression it’s green tinted glasses involved?

No one is saying he’s a 50m pound player. It when you add in his potential given what he’s done at 18 years old and the amount of money thrown around in the PL then yes he’s worth 50m pound plus.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    Transer fees have gotten so stupid in recent years that I haven't a clue what is or isn't a 50 million player. Ferguson might be it though, green tinted glasses or no. Scoring goals like that so young... I think clubs will drop more on riskier prospects this summer.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    851 Posts
    I'd be grand with him staying fit and not turning out a waster, score a few for Brighton or similar & the odd one for us, to be honest. I'd be fine with that for a good while.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

15. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    541 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Exgrad View Post
    Would there be many clubs willing to pay 50m for a player and then hang on for a season for him to arrive? Cant really think of anything similar, Sesko maybe but that was between the the red bull clubs, so internal accounting really.
    Liverpool did it with Keita. Or at least they agreed the deal 12 months in advance to make sure they got him. Also from an RB club

Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    I think you’re in the ballpark Nigel. Gakpo strikes me as a guy who one would think might have a similar valuation. A longer track record than Ferguson but at a lower level.
    I do think given the choice between signing Gakpo and Ferguson - I’d still take Gakpo. On one hand, Gakpo still has a lot of growth and upside and could be a truly world class striker. Evan on the other hand, probably has a higher likelihood of being the best striker in the league or the world. At 18, it’s hard to imagine his ceiling. So even if Gakpo ends up being the better footballer 8 times out of 10, and 1 time out of 10, Gakpo really struggles, the other 1 time in 10 - Evan is just a monster of the Kane, Haaland, Lewandowski variety.

If you look at the money that Chelsea have spent on youngsters, Evan is better than all of them. 85m for Wesley Fofana, I’d rather have Evan. Same with plenty of United’s signings. So yeah, very hard to figure his valuation.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts

No one is saying he’s a 50m pound player. It when you add in his potential given what he’s done at 18 years old and the amount of money thrown around in the PL then yes he’s worth 50m pound plus.
    A quick Google shows a heap of tabloids and football news (more like gossip) sites reporting that Ferguson is being followed by Barcelona, Man United, Bayern Munich etc etc These are international sites with international journalists. In this context, the speculation on here in terms of price reaching 50m is hardly green tinted glasses.

This is one instance of a player where anyone bandying about the green tinted glasses accusation about him is p*ssing against the wind.

It all makes me very nervous because I'll get tense until he scores his next goal with a paranoia after each of the last few that he'd never do it again!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts

Sure United were quoted 50m for Sesko before one Redbull club "bought" him from the other Redbull club. He scored five goals and three assists in 966 minutes in the Austrian league when United were quoted that.

In half that minutes played and playing in the toughest league in the world Ferguson has three goals and two assists.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,213 Posts
    Big difference between being quoted £50m and actually paying it though, I'd have thought?

He's ultimately moved for £20m.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Although we'd like players playing in the champions league and all that, we've seen before that it can be risky to move to the 'big' clubs. Sitting on the bench won't help his development. At the end of the day, Brighton are a good club with good structures. It would do him no harm to stay there, nail down his starting position and bang in the goals for them.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Big difference between being quoted £50m and actually paying it though, I'd have thought?

He's ultimately moved for £20m.
    Yeah, from one RB club to another RB club which means nothing really. Just a way for them to move a few quid to Salzburg and get the big transfer fee for Leipzig is all. If United wanted him it would have costed them the 50m.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,213 Posts
    Maybe, tut the point on United is that they didn't deem him worth 50m, so they moved on. An initial quote isn't necessarily what a player's actually worth.

Page 24 of 42 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast