Thread: Evan Ferguson F Brighton b.2004

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    If it was his ACL, he wouldn't have been able to walk off the pitch
    I think you actually see players more often than not walking off after an ACL.

Fingers crossed its not thar. As Crafty said, I'm not even that bothered about thr France game, I just don't want it to be this time next year before we see him again. Some never recover properly.

On the other hand I remember just before the world cup it looked like Varane had season ending injury and was distraught and he was grand in a couple weeks. Let's hope for the best

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Reports that he was walking without crutches today at the U23 game. Positive sign?

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Brighton have apparently moved to sign Vitinha from Braga when it looked like he was on his way to Southampton. Hopefully not a sign they expecting Ferguson out long term and more that he would be a replacement for Welbeck to partner Evan... I don't ever remember being this anxious waiting to hear the extent of an injury before.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Brighton have apparently moved to sign Vitinha from Braga when it looked like he was on his way to Southampton. Hopefully not a sign they expecting Ferguson out long term and more that he would be a replacement for Welbeck to partner Evan... I don't ever remember being this anxious waiting to hear the extent of an injury before.
    They were looking for a CF anyway so wouldn’t read much into it regarding of Fergusons situation. Brighton are currently 6th and only have 2 CF’s who are remotely good enough for this level so needed a 3rd option to get them through the rest of the season.

7. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    A lot of people said he was at the u21s game last night as a spectator and looked fine, hopefully our luck with injuries might be turning.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Good news any anyway.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    748 Posts
    Definitely a lucky break if reports are correct and it's not a long term injury.

In general terms, leaving aside the Ferguson situation, I think our perceived bad luck in terms of player injuries is vastly overstated. Injuries are part of the game so you can always expect a few to crop up. But, just taking right now as an example, we're half way through a season and there are hardly any Irish players injured other than Ferguson. The only ones long term injured that I can think of are Glen Rea, JJ Kayode and Warren O'Hora, and they're nowhere near an Ireland squad anyway.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    The injuries thing is magnified by desperation. In a time we were desperate for promising youth players to come good, O'Shea, Idah, and Obamidele all had long term injuries, while Obafemi's hamstrings seem to be made largely of thoughts and prayers.

12. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Definitely a lucky break if reports are correct and it's not a long term injury.

In general terms, leaving aside the Ferguson situation, I think our perceived bad luck in terms of player injuries is vastly overstated. Injuries are part of the game so you can always expect a few to crop up. But, just taking right now as an example, we're half way through a season and there are hardly any Irish players injured other than Ferguson. The only ones long term injured that I can think of are Glen Rea, JJ Kayode and Warren O'Hora, and they're nowhere near an Ireland squad anyway.
    Careful Now ! !

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    I think it's like the young players going to Celtic debate. We're just focused on Irish players going there and not making it but the truth is that players from all over the world go to Celtic and don't make it but that's the same for Real Madrid, Man utd, Bayern Munich and so on, it's just more of ours go to Celtic.

It's great news if Ferguson's injury isn't too bad. The good start to the year rolls on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-42320514.html
    Dan McDonnell's article in the Indo says it's not a long term injury. Short term story is still being assessed.
    Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PMGOL), the body that oversees referees, have subsequently admitted that the Brazilian should have received a red card for a studs above the ankle tackle from behind.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    748 Posts
    I suppose that could mean he's still out for March but I'd take that compared to how things looked on Sunday evening.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

17. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    game v France is 2 months away
    He will be grand unless it's a long term injury. Which it appears not to be

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Lads, we're going to beat France and Ferguson is going to score. Even with Kenny in charge. You heard it here first.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    As if we needed any more proof that the boy was super human - that tackle didn't injure him seriously? Amazing if true..

Still not over the fact it wasn't a red.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    Lads, we're going to beat France and Ferguson is going to score. Even with Kenny in charge. You heard it here first.
    Ok, what have you done with the real Boomshakalala ?

On the main topic, I’m very uneasy about the level of expectation we’re heaping on a lad who is still just 18 years old. No doubt he has massive potential, but we shouldn’t necessarily be expecting him to be our saviour at this point. Of course, if he plays against France and makes no impact, no doubt we’ll have people coming forward saying he isnt all that.
    Last edited by TonyD; 31/01/2023 at 5:46 PM.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    Ok, what have you done with the real Boomshakalala ?

On the main topic, I’m very uneasy about the level of expectation we’re heaping on a lad who is still just 18 years old. No doubt he has massive potential, but we shouldn’t necessarily be expecting him to be our saviour at this point. Of course, if he plays against France and makes no impact, no doubt we’ll have people coming forward saying he isnt all that.
    I wouldnt be too concerned with the France game Tony, for me he is obviously good enough to play now but the exciting thing is that he is genuinely a talent who could develop into a World Class player in the not too distant future.

The expectation comes with the territory. All top class players deal with it and he seems like hes taking it all in his stride so far.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Update on his injury. Thankfully looks like he’ll be back pretty quickly although B&HA haven’t confirmed a return timeline. A bruised bone (think Kingdom had that one weekend).

https://www.the42.ie/evan-ferguson-i...urce=shortlink

EVAN FERGUSON HAS not suffered any ligament damage in his knee with The42 learning that scans showed up bruising of the bone in the affected area.

Encouragingly, there has also been no structural damage to the 18-year-old’s knee and it now remains a possibility he will return to Premier League action in time to be available for Ireland’s opening Euro 2024 qualifier with France next month.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Brilliant news all round. Brighton showing serious faith in him by not signing Vitinha. Also puts a lot of pressure on him but he seems to be dealing with it OK for now.

In a few years time, himself and Collins could bring us up a few levels all by themselves.

26. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Brilliant news all round. Brighton showing serious faith in him by not signing Vitinha. Also puts a lot of pressure on him but he seems to be dealing with it OK for now.

In a few years time, himself and Collins could bring us up a few levels all by themselves.
    Just on a side note, that Vitinha lad is from the same small town as my wife so I've watched a bit of him. He's not bad, but if he's a 30 Million player Ferguson is worth 100 million already

Page 18 of 42 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast