I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    Friendly at Wembley confirmed for November 12th: https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/inte...land-announced
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    I wonder will it be a classic like the last time in Dublin

4. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    I'm genuinely fuming about this.
    What was the point of the last two games if not to try to increase our ranking points.
    The Europa League gets us nothing in the world cup cycle.

Does no one in the FAI understand how the world ranking ELO system works?
    Of course they don't.
    An absolute joke.

6. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eekers View Post
    What was the point of the last two games if not to try to increase our ranking points.

Of course they don't.
    An absolute joke.
    A Fistfull of Euros in the Hand is more important than the future ! !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts

Of course they don't.
    An absolute joke.
    Or...it's a stern test and another opportunity for Stephen Kenny to get his gameplan into the heads of the players before competitive games.
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Could Rice and Grealish make guest appearances for us ~ ~ A possible New Angle for FIFA. Was it Di Stefano or Puskas that played for three Countries ?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    165 Posts

Of course they don't.
    An absolute joke.
    I've long suspected that nobody at the FAI follows the rankings / tries to work them out until they are released.

11. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    While it obviously makes more sense that we are in pot 2 than pot 3, right now we would be vying with a team like the Czech Republic or Norway to get into a playoff and then beat someone like the Ukraine or Switzerland in said playoff to qualify if we are a pot 2 side.

We haven't a prayer of qualifying for the world cup right now unless the likes of Parrott etc turn in to really top players two years faster than I think they will.

In that sense, getting experience of playing a top team is far better than grabbing the rosary beads that NI and Slovakia draw and we take 4/6 points from our next nations league games. Stephen will have had a lot of games before the qualifiers so no excuses imo not to begin seeing improvements by the time of wc qualifiers and that we can't give a decent account of ourselves and be ready for euro 2024 regardless of what group we get. We need to build a team here and that will take time rather than go with the short term approach. The Belgians did it for a few years. They had a better generation than we are likely to have but they got the structures right and gave up a few tournaments to do that and they have always been a very good footballing nation. Kenny has them trying to play football and is bringing through the youngsters. I couldn't really ask anymore at this point.

I'm a positive person for the future and we have a cracking bunch of talents coming through with some great lads at the even younger age groups but if the likes of Finland are beating you home and away, then it's hard to see us getting to Qatar or being remotely close.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Ireland were first football team to beat England on home soil
    Ireland has always been a piece of corn stuck in the 3 lions teeth.

It's been 35 years since England defeated the irish, I remembered the game was broadcasted live in Argentina because of our big irish community, played Eamonn okeefesomething up front, played Liam Brady, he scored a goal. Frank Stapleton was soo good that game but got kicked the whole game. I think Kevin Ocallahan played a bit a remember he was a classy player. He worked with Stallone in a movie

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
    While it obviously makes more sense that we are in pot 2 than pot 3, right now we would be vying with a team like the Czech Republic or Norway to get into a playoff and then beat someone like the Ukraine or Switzerland in said playoff to qualify if we are a pot 2 side.

We haven't a prayer of qualifying for the world cup right now unless the likes of Parrott etc turn in to really top players two years faster than I think they will.

In that sense, getting experience of playing a top team is far better than grabbing the rosary beads that NI and Slovakia draw and we take 4/6 points from our next nations league games. Stephen will have had a lot of games before the qualifiers so no excuses imo not to begin seeing improvements by the time of wc qualifiers and that we can't give a decent account of ourselves and be ready for euro 2024 regardless of what group we get. We need to build a team here and that will take time rather than go with the short term approach. The Belgians did it for a few years. They had a better generation than we are likely to have but they got the structures right and gave up a few tournaments to do that and they have always been a very good footballing nation. Kenny has them trying to play football and is bringing through the youngsters. I couldn't really ask anymore at this point.

I'm a positive person for the future and we have a cracking bunch of talents coming through with some great lads at the even younger age groups but if the likes of Finland are beating you home and away, then it's hard to see us getting to Qatar or being remotely close.
    Wrong im with Trap and MON, Brady and Kerr on this one, we have to attempt to qualify for every WC no matter what, we have been ripped off by crocked referees a long time. We are Ireland we could have reached the wc 2002 final, and win it, but thats another story

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Im sad because we are gonna get beaten by them by 3 or 4 goals in 3 weeks, thats not sensible football, plus with Grealish and Rice on the pitch. We are not a laughing stock. This Kenny is so naive

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Which is it? You are disagreeing with yourself in the 3 posts in a row. We are either tough for England or gonna be beaten by 3 or 4 nil?

Anyway.... I think its a ridiculous decision to go ahead with this game. Financially it cant be amazing with no fans, the coverage of Rice and Grealish will be vomit inducing and more importantly we need some wins to kick start Kenny and to get into pot 2.

17. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Which is it? You are disagreeing with yourself in the 3 posts in a row. We are either tough for England or gonna be beaten by 3 or 4 nil?

Anyway.... I think its a ridiculous decision to go ahead with this game. Financially it cant be amazing with no fans, the coverage of Rice and Grealish will be vomit inducing and more importantly we need some wins to kick start Kenny and to get into pot 2.
    it is just to whow how ridiculous this decision is, first team to beat them.

we are gonna have a heavy defeat even if we play seamus coleman and james mccarthy.

4-0 for the 3 lions plus the mockery of bbc and sky on the irish misfits Rice and Grealish, maybe paddy bamford, redmond and delap get a game time for them to make it a laughing show

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    This is a ballsy move if Kenny had any say which he mightn't have had. I know it's just a friendly but get hammered by England, along with poor results v Bulgaria and Wales and then Kenny's position will be under threat. Whether you think that's right or not, that will be the case. I've mentioned it already in this thread but if he gets good results v England and the others, it will really kick off the Kenny era. This could go either way and these games that seem rather meaningless on first view, are of huge importance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bielsa´s irish View Post

It's been 35 years since England defeated the irish, I remembered the game was broadcasted live in Argentina because of our big irish community, played Eamonn okeefesomething up front, played Liam Brady, he scored a goal. Frank Stapleton was soo good that game but got kicked the whole game. I think Kevin Ocallahan played a bit a remember he was a classy player. He worked with Stallone in a movie
    No it wasn't. Stop making stuff up.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    No it wasn't. Stop making stuff up.
    Escape to victory

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    The game wasn't broadcast in Argentina. Stop making stuff up

23. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bielsa´s irish View Post

Was that not a real life escape in the second world war with Stallone and O’Callaghan. I think they almost killed Hitler as well.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post

I expect Rice and Grealish will not feature.

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast