Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: England V Republic of Ireland - Thursday, 12th November 2020 - Friendly

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Long was called up, its in the article posted earlier.

I do agree on the Long thing, but given it was in the Uk and he lives around Southampton I'd have thought he would have joined up.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Demesne Lad View Post
    Norn Iron often have to 'make do' with League One strikers. I think I'd prefer Paddy Madden to Conor Sammon at this stage -- averaging 13 or 14 League One goals a season for Fleetwood. We don't have many players who just put the ball in the net regularly.
    Which is why James Collins deserves another look. 1 goal on his debut and a horror show against Georgia. He'd be a regular or v close to the NI team. He plays like yer man Kiefer Moore of Wales, a late bloomer, also Championship. I'm hopeful Collins will bring something to the team in the short term. I think we need an old-fashioned 9 in the box, and not just so we can play direct football.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 12/11/2020 at 8:55 AM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Long was called up, its in the article posted earlier.

I do agree on the Long thing, but given it was in the Uk and he lives around Southampton I'd have thought he would have joined up.
    Hadn't seen that, thanks. But it kind of backs up my point: Long is a more obvious call up than McMillan, for a host of reasons.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,315 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I don't think this is the time for looking at LOI strikers tbh. For a start, I think Rovers won the league without a standout striker this year, Greene's hold up play is good but is similar to James Collins (already called up) and Collins is a far more frequent goalscorer. I'd say Collins > Hoban and by quite a bit. We have Idah, Maguire and Collins in the squad as well as attacking wide players already. Burke has been good in general play but his 5 against Cork flattered his output for the season.

Also, all our players except Byrne are in UK. This games was scheduled only because NZ pulled out because of COVID. X-border travel comes with risks as we are all too aware, and injury risk is a factor on international breaks. Dundalk have big Europa League and FAI Cup games coming up and imagine if they lost a player due to COVID or injury just so they can have an outside chance of playing at wembley? Shane Long hasn't even been called up.

I'm all for LOI involvement as you know. But no striker or full back has stood out domestically as being good enough for senior international football imho. Apart from Byrne the standout domestic players have been young players (Scales, Grant etc.) or NI or Cape Verde internationals(!) and they are deservedly being picked for the U21s.

If Jack Byrne - by a country mile the outstanding player in the LOI this year - can't get any action for the senior team then I think it's fanciful to think McMillan is in with a shout too. Come on Tets, you're usually well grounded and rational!
    I think it sends a really bad message to the LOI - if playing, and scoring, in Europe doesn't get you into the national side, not even the squad, nothing will.
    Byrne has been the outstanding player in the league this season, and still hasn't seen a minute of football under the new manager, despite being named on the bench twice, and (obviously) the team going goalless both times.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    That's a very fair point, i could produce a handful of pieces to back up the same which Kenny said himself back in the day when asked about Ireland squads and his players. It just goes to show Managers should really say nothing about their players as the subjective being objective is never the case.

In Byrnes case given the opposition and the general lack of scoring, and his ability to both shoot from distance and setup scoring chances it does seem shortsighted.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,315 Posts
    That's a very fair point, i could produce a handful of pieces to back up the same which Kenny said himself back in the day when asked about Ireland squads and his players. It just goes to show Managers should really say nothing about their players as the subjective being objective is never the case.

In Byrnes case given the opposition and the general lack of scoring, and his ability to both shoot from distance and setup scoring chances it does seem shortsighted.
    Could you? Then you probably should.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Btw, I am now excited by this game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    I think Stutts has it fairly well covered, in fairness. Most of the LOI players worthy of callups, have been called up, or on the edges of international squads.

For those that aren't:

I'd say Sean Gannon is close enough, but he's never going to get past any of Coleman, Doherty or Christie.

Shields is unfortunate, probably deserved a callup last year, but has been more inconsistent this year. If Kenny were in charge 12 months ago, he might have had a shout.

There's not really any strikers in the LOI good enough. Serious lack of quality strikers within the league currently. Burke and Greene don't do it for me, and Rovers probably need a striker going into next year if they want to push on in Europe
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

9. Thanks From:

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    Interesting suggested lineup from the42 https://www.the42.ie/england-ireland-5263690-Nov2020/
    Republic of Ireland (Possible XI): Caoimhin Kelleher; Seamus Coleman (captain), Shane Duffy, John Egan, Matt Doherty; James McCarthy, Conor Hourihane; Daryl Horgan, Alan Browne, Robbie Brady; Adam Idah

In terms of form lines; Finland won 2-0 in France last night and Bulgaria 3-0 winners over Gibraltar.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    I think it sends a really bad message to the LOI
    Is that important though?

The LoI is a poor league that's going backwards the last few years (certainly in strength in depth, albeit that there's been a few EL group stage qualifications). It's a great league of course, but the point of the national team isn't to give the LoI a hands-up.

Too many LoI forwards have gone abroad recently and flopped - Hoban, Burke, McMillan off the top of my head - for an LoI player to be a serious contender for the national team at the moment unless they're really standing out.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Notwithstanding that he seems to be injured this time anyway, i just don't understand Kenny (or previously McCarthy's) attitude towards Shane Long. I'd have him in every squad. I take the point that his age will likely count against him looking forwards, and looking forwards is very important right now, but a bit of experience/nous in the squad wouldn't go amiss. I'd say he will still be able to do a shift come 2022

I do also appreciate that i'm massively biased though...

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Anyway, against my better judgement i am also getting quite excited about tonight's game, even though my expectations are low. On top of that, it's my elder lad's 10th birthday tomorrow and he's asked to stay up and watch the game tonight... fingers crossed we've something to cheer. He's really nervous.

Personally i think the importance of tonight from a morale point of view, and Kenny's rep, outweighs that of Wales on Sunday, even though that obviously has more impact re. Nations League and avoiding relegation etc. I assume the Wales game carries more ranking points too- though i'd defer to others on that?

14. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    I think Stutts has it fairly well covered, in fairness. Most of the LOI players worthy of callups, have been called up, or on the edges of international squads.

For those that aren't:

I'd say Sean Gannon is close enough, but he's never going to get past any of Coleman, Doherty or Christie.

Shields is unfortunate, probably deserved a callup last year, but has been more inconsistent this year. If Kenny were in charge 12 months ago, he might have had a shout.

There's not really any strikers in the LOI good enough. Serious lack of quality strikers within the league currently. Burke and Greene don't do it for me, and Rovers probably need a striker going into next year if they want to push on in Europe
    See, if even Nigel thinks there's nobody good enough in the LOI right now then we must really be at rock bottom

If Rovers lose Byrne next season I think someone like Paddy Madden would be a great option, or even if they retain Byrne. Different positions of course but Rovers really need a reliable goalscorer and as Nigel says, for Europe too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,315 Posts
    James McCarthy has withdrawn from the squad

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    I hope he solves that issue. James will be back for the wales match. On Shane Long, sorry but I dont buy the injury and the short notice from the Saints camp. The thing is SK should have respect Long and named in the original squad

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    McCarthy withdrew to watch the SCotland game with family.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    McCarthy withdrew to watch the SCotland game with family.
    It wouldn’t be an Ireland squad without McCarthy pulling out for injury or vague reasons
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Come on guys, the kid got injured the last time while playing in Bratislava, he is our main asset at disposal, With the way things are panning out we need him happy in the camp, I buy the idea of him to start for the nations league games instead. He got kicked out of the match by that dirty Hamsik.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Sorry, had to post this..well done Paddy Power..

https://www.sundayworld.com/sport/so...obALUMIpXGJcjk
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    I noticed we're wearing white tonight which means England will be wearing blue.

Hate that. Clearly a case of both teams trying to flog away jerseys.

Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast