Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: England V Republic of Ireland - Thursday, 12th November 2020 - Friendly

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Ireland are playing England this week 3 miles away from where I live and I can barely get excited at all. Partly because I fear we won't be able to compete but also because I just think international football amidst all that's going on just doesn't matter so much.

2. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    I'm a bit more optimistic about this game than most. A result and a decent performance and the last 5 matches will be forgotten. IMO the problem so far isn't the lack of an out and out goalscorer its lack of confidence throughout the team in getting forward into good positions and having an attempt on goal. If it clicks in, I think we could be a decent team. 0-2 to us, Hendrick and a Rice OG.

4. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    I see Grealish, Rice and Keane will play from the start of this clásico.it is a hunch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Stop calling it a clasico, nobody is calling it that

7. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bielsa´s irish View Post
    It Stands for Nicholás Chauvin my good man! Eric Howsbawm and Émile Durkheim talked about it as well. The concept of a nation.is chauvinism,
    Amazing how good your grasp of language is when it suits you

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Normally on the week of a big game like this Id be listening to every podcast possible, reading every article and in general building up a big sense of excitement where I convince myself that we are better than we really are. I think this week the only way I can describe how I feel about it is ... meh!

I think it might be down to how little game time a lot of our players have had with their clubs so far this year. Connolly and Idah who are going to be vital to us especially. Not that I think we have anything to worry about long term with them but I was hoping they both would have scored a few goals and be in good form by the time this stage of the season arrived. I know Idah has been suspended but even so.

Theres no midfield or attacking player in the last month that has excelled for their club to help build the excitement for the game. On the other hand we see Grealish be brilliant for Villa and its just a bit depressing. The narrative around the game is around Rice and Grealish as expected and we could have used something like Connolly getting a few goals recently to pin our hopes to.

All that being said we always raise our game against England. I still think Kenny is on the right track and another week training with him will be good for the team in long run and Im sure by time kick off comes I'll finally convince myself to be excited. I do have the nagging thought in the back of my mind that what a way it would be to kickstart the Kenny era it would be to get a result here with Idah getting his 1st International goal... and so it begins, in the space of writing this post Ive started to convince myself!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    As well as that, there's no discussion among fans about who's going to the game - the English, and London in particular, based members of the forum would be organising meet ups. Everyone else would be checking out flight prices, hotel rates, AirBnb, etc, but there's none of that. I'm not a regular at away games, but I've been to most of the games in London since Trapattoni played Colombia at Craven Cottage in 2008, including the friendly in Wembley in 2013.
    None of us have been to a live football game in eight months, or more. All games I've seen since then have been on the TV in my living room. I've mentioned it elsewhere, but without the fans at a game, there's no indication from the broadcast on the implications of the game. Is it a cup final or a pre season friendly? Is it a top of the table clash, or an end of season tie between two teams who already know they're staying up? There's no discernible difference. And, unfortunately, international football is in the same boat - turn on any random game this week and (without prior knowledge) you've no way of knowing immediately if there's something at stake - if it's a friendly, or a play off.
    Ireland v England should never be "just another game", but this one is. Jock Stein said it decades ago, and if we learn nothing else from this pandemic, we learned that he was right - "Football without fans is nothing."
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 09/11/2020 at 4:25 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Very true Tets, I had that conversation with mates this weekend that Im sick of seeing sport without fans. It doesnt have the same intensity and doesnt seem to matter as much. Ive also been watching that Spurs All or Nothing series so the contrast with fans in the stadium in that compared to now is stark. A few months ago were we happy just to get sport back on our screens and if it was taken away again we would hate it, but all of what you say is true.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Honestly, if elite-level sport was taken away as a restriction due to the pandemic, I'm not even sure I'd notice. At worst, it would mean one less thing to watch on TV. And that's really, really depressing.

I'm not sure if it's a part of the reason, but the results under Kenny so far have been bad. We've only scored once, we're only a four game scoreless run, and all expectations are that we're going to be on the wrong end of a hammering on Thursday night. The performances have been an improvement compared to the last few years, but results mean more when it comes to attracting casual fans.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Sport on TV is the only thing getting me through the whole thing to be honest, even if I am sick of no fans. I cant go back to endless nights of Netflix.

We havent scored in 4 games but that only means we are due a few right? You can justify anything in your head!

As I said previously, if we can score and get result on Thursday, it would be brilliant way to kickstart Kenny tenure and get those casual fans on board. The flip side is that if we got a hammering Im not sure he would recover from it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    I think we are due a big win, its been a while. The country and the people need a lift.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    At least Seamus and both James Mc will play some we may have some irish pride on the pitch. Its gonna be a hell of a match!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bielsa´s irish View Post
    At least Seamus and both James Mc will play some we may have some irish pride on the pitch. Its gonna be a hell of a match!
    The Ulstermen won't let us down. Unfortunately though, I fear it will be England's first win over us in 35 years
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Yeah and some people with thin memory tend to forget his atributes. But I wish we would have more players with McClean attutude on the pitch as well as Coleman and James McCarthy, the latter who i see as our relevant playmaker under the correct coach

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Jude Bellingham added to the England squad after James Ward-Prowse and Trent Alexander-Arnold withdraw: https://www.thefa.com/news/2020/nov/...-update-101120

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    England are playing a mile up the road from me, and I am excited was going to head up around wembley for a gawk. Looking forward to this one as I think its a good test for Kenny, but not too confident around any of our strikers. I urged caution on Connolly and thats proved right, he was given the opportunity with Brighton and he didnt take it. I really hope he can turn things around but I feel hell be a bit part sub for the forseeable. I want to see how this passing along the middle and holding possession works against a top tier side, so hopefully we can hold our own. I am also happy that he has included Collins as a potential plan B, to pull off the bench when the passing doesnt get us goals. We need as many plans/alternatives given our lack of goalscoring prowess.

Watching Roscommon play against Div 2 sides they kept possession around the middle patiently building up play and never giving away the ball and waited to carve out scores, that was all well and good till the came up against a Mayo side with a high intensity and putting serious pressure out in the middle of the field, its a similar thing i want to see Ireland against a proper pressing team. england might not be the Mayo equivalent in footballing terms but there close enough to it

With the news of vaccines and other things I am really worried about how good a Euros it will actually be, and we wont be there. The release and excitement will be immense, it will be like no other, an anathema we wont be there.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 10/11/2020 at 10:12 AM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    england might not be the Mayo equivalent in footballing terms but there close enough to it
    You mean they'll make it to the Euro finals and somehow find a way of losing it?
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

25. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    England are playing a mile up the road from me, and I am excited was going to head up around wembley for a gawk. Looking forward to this one as I think its a good test for Kenny, but not too confident around any of our strikers. I urged caution on Connolly and thats proved right, he was given the opportunity with Brighton and he didnt take it. I really hope he can turn things around but I feel hell be a bit part sub for the forseeable. I want to see how this passing along the middle and holding possession works against a top tier side, so hopefully we can hold our own. I am also happy that he has included Collins as a potential plan B, to pull off the bench when the passing doesnt get us goals. We need as many plans/alternatives given our lack of goalscoring prowess.

Watching Roscommon play against Div 2 sides they kept possession around the middle patiently building up play and never giving away the ball and waited to carve out scores, that was all well and good till the came up against a Mayo side with a high intensity and putting serious pressure out in the middle of the field, its a similar thing i want to see Ireland against a proper pressing team. england might not be the Mayo equivalent in footballing terms but there close enough to it

With the news of vaccines and other things I am really worried about how good a Euros it will actually be, and we wont be there. The release and excitement will be immense, it will be like no other, an anathema we wont be there.
    I certainly don't think that you have been proved right on Connolly. He's 20 FFS. I think there's another high degree of sophistry going on here. I think the highest praise Connolly has received here is people saying he should have started in Georgia. When he came on he did v well, compounding the impression he should have started. For the most part everyone else here has seen the same things anyone has seen in Connolly, a mix of good, bad and outright ineffective. The only real difference is that most of us actually want him to do well. You seem not to.

And I'm not sure I agree with you on the justification for including Collins. A good hold up man is often integral in a good passing side too, and also often integral to an effective 433. Germany were crying out for a good 9 in WC18. Idah doesn't really seem ready for it. Of course if we have to resort to lumping it I'd say Collins is our best bet right now, but I think he's more than that.

27. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    with the players at disposal and England playing 3 at the back I would go with 2 guys up front. My team would be something near as

.................................................. .. Randolph......................................

Coleman.............................Long./(duffy)......................Egan................. .....Doherty

Brady.....................................McCarthy----------Hendrick----------------McClean

................................ Robinson----------------------Connolly-------------------

James McCarthy and Seamus have to play otherwise we are doomed

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    An irish player tested positive

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast