Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland v Finland - Wednesday, 14th October 2020 - UEFA Nations League

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    It goes to show the testing quality is not really where it needs to be. At my workplace in Canada there seems to be a recognition of this. If you have any need to have a COVID test due to symptoms, you have to work from home for two weeks, regardless of a positive or negative result.

I love watching Ireland play and would never advocate for a pause on international football but given the extensive cross border travel and flying in tight quarters required I wonder if pressure will rise to wait until a vaccine/treatment or at least more reliable testing is developed.
    they are sport people, they are safer than anyone, lets beat finland this week

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eekers View Post
    https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/6015874/covid-19-ireland-travel-squad-member-tests-positive-negative/

"The player - who did not feature against either Slovakia or Wales - will now undergo a THIRD test ahead of Tuesday morning’s flight in the hope that he can be allowed travel."

That narrows it down to the 2 sub keepers and the top midfielder from the greatest league in the world.
    Travers is in the video from training today, so it’s either Kelleher or Byrne...

Total speculation but... Williams and Byrne signed for Blackburn at the same time. Seem to be friends from what I’ve seen on socials during the window, with Williams videoing Byrne’s physio session. Suspect that they were hanging out together without it being considered a close contact.

Alternative is that Kelleher is the 6th Liverpool player to test positive (Origi in pre-season, then Thiago, then Mane, then Shaqiri on international duty which is now a false positive I think, then Keita yesterday...)
    Last edited by elatedscum; 13/10/2020 at 4:59 AM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    I love the detective work that goes on about COVID cases. I was speculating that the non-playing member of staff that tested positive before the Slovakia game must have been a physio and that this physio must have been treating Aaron Connolly because he missed a training session earlier in the week. And then that Idah was out because he was a close contact of Connolly's, maybe played a bit of FIFA in his room.

It turned out that the actually story was wildly different, particularly given that the non-playing staff worked on communications!

Both your guesses are plausible but it's a funny old game!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    I love the detective work that goes on about COVID cases. I was speculating that the non-playing member of staff that tested positive before the Slovakia game must have been a physio and that this physio must have been treating Aaron Connolly because he missed a training session earlier in the week. And then that Idah was out because he was a close contact of Connolly's, maybe played a bit of FIFA in his room.

It turned out that the actually story was wildly different, particularly given that the non-playing staff worked on communications!

Both your guesses are plausible but it's a funny old game!
    And we can’t send in Miss Marple because she would be too vulnerable. Are there any good young detectives about ~ ~ Mrs Jessica Fletcher Out, Columbo out, Sherlock Holmes out ~ Maybe a Young Sherlock !

5. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Irish player returns second positive Covid-19 result on retest and will miss Finland game https://the42.ie/5231334

Fairly painful stuff for the player in question. Definitely out now. I think it was concluded here that it was Kelleher or Byrne. I assume we will figure out which it was soon enough. Another keeper being called in might be the best indicator before tomorrow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    I'm only going to say this once - any further speculation on the player's identity without evidence will be deleted
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 13/10/2020 at 9:44 AM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Irish player returns second positive Covid-19 result on retest and will miss Finland game https://the42.ie/5231334

Fairly painful stuff for the player in question. Definitely out now. I think it was concluded here that it was Kelleher or Byrne. I assume we will figure out which it was soon enough. Another keeper being called in might be the best indicator before tomorrow.
    i think he said yesterday they wouldnt be calling anyone else in regardless
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Why would you laugh? and why do you think you speak for "rest of us"?
    If a League of Ireland through a strop and retired from international duty at 23 because he wasn't played in a handful of games, do you think that decision would be widely praised and admired?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    I'm only going to say this once - any further speculation on the player's identity without evidence will be deleted
    Well given that he's been named as "not believed to be a goalkeeper" and "didn't play v Slovakia or Wales", it doesn't really take much to work out who it is.

But I agree as a general rule medical confidentiality should have some merit still.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Well given that he's been named as "not believed to be a goalkeeper" and "didn't play v Slovakia or Wales", it doesn't really take much to work out who it is.

But I agree as a general rule medical confidentiality should have some merit still.
    I certainly hope they are not talking about one of Our Goalkeepers there !

12. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    If a League of Ireland through a strop and retired from international duty at 23 because he wasn't played in a handful of games, do you think that decision would be widely praised and admired?
    I never mentioned retiring. And you don't answer the question.
    Players well behind Jack in the squad queue, who were drafted in at the last minute got game time. There were 2 dud midfielders in Hourihana/Brady (a shadow of his former glory). Even Horgan posed more actual attacking threat in 2 mins, than those 2 did in the whole game. And considering the risks involved with such away international games, Jack would be risking his end of season club time just to be back-up fodder, to be used only in the event that Kenny runs out of all other player options, including those players called up after him.
    There are considerations not strops.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    They're all different players to Byrne. I imagine Byrne was called up to fill a specific niche for a specific situation and also for Kenny to take a look at him train with a higher calibre of player. The situation to play him didn't arise or Kenny didn't feel he was ready or good enough.

Regardless it'd be absolutely ridiculous for him to withdraw from a squad due to not playing when he's lucky to be there and I'm sure he sees it as the highest honour. What sort of message does that send to potential moves too? A player acting Billy Big Balls and pulling out of a squad because he didn't feature.

15. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    He's in and around the squad. With injuries, covid & suspensions and everything else he's more likely than not to get game time as indeed any outfield player is in the coming months. If he takes his chance when it comes like Browne did in Slovakia then he'll be harder to leave out.

He is still only 24.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    The capcvity for this site to create a situation where none exists is remarkable really.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    If in the event the November internationals being cancelled because of the second wave in Europe. And if the world cup draw goes ahead as scheduled December without any further internationals then:

A win against Finland will get us guarantee us 2nd seeds:
    Ireland (21st) would be on 1482.44 points, the most Slovakia(20nd) currently on 1,476.9 points would be able to get by beating Israel is 1,481.49.

A Draw for both Ireland and Slovakia would put Ireland on 1474.94 and Slovakia on 1,473.99.
    In the case of these two draws. Only Iceland could overtake both Ireland and Slovakia by beating Belgium at home leaving them on 1,475.76.

If both Ireland and Slovakia lose. Ireland would be on 1467.44 ahead of Slovakia on 1,466.49.
    But Northern Ireland could finish on 1,473.54 by beating Norway away.
    Iceland could finish on 1,468.26 by drawing with Belgium at home.
    Romania could finish on 1,470.28 by beating Austria at home.

19. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    The capcvity for this site to create a situation where none exists is remarkable really.
    And yet we can’t get Byrne in the Team !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Hard to figure out why Byrne never got minutes, considering the players who were drafted in did
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eekers View Post
    If in the event the November internationals being cancelled because of the second wave in Europe. And if the world cup draw goes ahead as scheduled December without any further internationals then:

A win against Finland will get us guarantee us 2nd seeds:
    Ireland (21st) would be on 1482.44 points, the most Slovakia(20nd) currently on 1,476.9 points would be able to get by beating Israel is 1,481.49.

A Draw for both Ireland and Slovakia would put Ireland on 1474.94 and Slovakia on 1,473.99.
    In the case of these two draws. Only Iceland could overtake both Ireland and Slovakia by beating Belgium at home leaving them on 1,475.76.

If both Ireland and Slovakia lose. Ireland would be on 1467.44 ahead of Slovakia on 1,466.49.
    But Northern Ireland could finish on 1,473.54 by beating Norway away.
    Iceland could finish on 1,468.26 by drawing with Belgium at home.
    Romania could finish on 1,470.28 by beating Austria at home.
    lets get a good ref tomorrow and a good pair of linesmen
    and VAR.
    we need to beat them tomorrow

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    On Byrne, has anyone thought that when he was surrounded by Premiership players he might have looked like the player that didn't make it at Kilmarnock or Oldham. Could you imagine how good Hourihane or Brady would look in the LOI. When Daryl Horgan was playing in LOI there was similar calls to have him in the Ireland team but hes hardly set the world alight since. Cullen was called up after him and still got on the pitch, but Cullen is proven in the Championship and someone just paid a million quid for him. I don't see anyone looking to spend any money on Byrne.

We've all seen sparks from him in a position that we think could help us and I've previously thought that I'd like to see him play, but its also up to him to prove hes good enough and he obviously isn't doing that in training

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    On Byrne, has anyone thought that when he was surrounded by Premiership players he might have looked like the player that didn't make it at Kilmarnock or Oldham. Could you imagine how good Hourihane or Brady would look in the LOI. When Daryl Horgan was playing in LOI there was similar calls to have him in the Ireland team but hes hardly set the world alight since. Cullen was called up after him and still got on the pitch, but Cullen is proven in the Championship and someone just paid a million quid for him. I don't see anyone looking to spend any money on Byrne.

We've all seen sparks from him in a position that we think could help us and I've previously thought that I'd like to see him play, but its also up to him to prove hes good enough and he obviously isn't doing that in training
    That is a distinct possibility. Where Kenny not to play him against Finland and then not call him up next time round it would probably indicate he sees a gap in quality during training.

I think Byrne is a good footballer, and I must admit he looked comfortable and not out of place against Milan. He does however play at a much lower level than the rest of the squad each week and also plays for the side who are currently comfortably the best in that division.

I am very critical of both Hendrick and Hourihane for example and don’t think either of them are particularly strong players (for club or country). I would imagine however lining out against Finn Harps with 65-70% of the ball they would look like Xavi and Iniesta mk II

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast