Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Game week 9/10/11 October

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Because they are probably using the same template over and over again.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Cork better organised tonight, Dundalk look very lethargic though, most of the ball but done very little with it..........
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    The game looks like 2 sides bang out of form and confidence. I'm sure hoooban will fall over and win a peno in the 2nd half.
    Cork are a travesty of a side. Are they the worst team in the league for the last 10 years maybe?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    First job next season for whoever is managing Cork in whatever league they're in is 2 new goalkeepers!
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Dundalk quite poor first half, stepped it up last 20, deserved 2-0 winners. Still too slow for my liking in parts, but good to see Gannon get back into it last 15 and finish strong.

I'd say that's it now from Cork, not points wise, can still get to play off, but not sure the fight is there. I'd be having Morrissey all day long, he'd excel with better players around him.

The GD is mental in this div, Dundalk up to 3rd now, a point clear, still two games in hand, but all clubs from 4th and below on - GD apart from Derry (7th) who are +1.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    The game looks like 2 sides bang out of form and confidence. I'm sure hoooban will fall over and win a peno in the 2nd half.
    Cork are a travesty of a side. Are they the worst team in the league for the last 10 years maybe?
    We're not even the worst team in the league this year yet!

Showed a bit of fight and organisation tonight, a chink of light. Will be a miracle if we stay up but football is a funny old game.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    I hate to break it to you RAM, but you are. Cork are a mess. Harps and Shels have enough about them to be easily clear of you guys by seasons end.
    I sincerely hope your team can get your €hit together and get back to the Premier league in 2022, as the cross is one of the very few enjoyable places to watch football in the LOI.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Interesting that Dundalk in this round have played Cork, Harps, Shels and Rovers. So that's the three weakest teams by far (Shels by virtue of their form having collapsed), which resulted in two unconvincing wins and a draw, and then Rovers, a game they didn't take seriously.

So their five remaining games are all European six-pointers, with three of those (Derry, Waterford and Pats) away in weeks when they also have EL group games in between.

They don't seem to have much strength in depth and while the league itself doesn't have much strength either it seems (basically everyone from Dundalk to Shels has a mid-table record, all falling over themselves not to finish top four), you'd have to say there's some antsy weeks ahead to see if Dundalk will actually make Europe next year.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Will be interesting to see does FG take the easy way out and play a weakened team against bohs so as to have to have the excuse when they lose which i expect they will regardless of who plays for DFC

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    I think you will find it will be the opposite. We will go fill strength V Bohs and if we pick up the 3 Points, we will be in a position to rest players in Derry ahead of Molde

Why would a manager pick a team with a view to having an excuse if they lose? That's the type of nonsense that can ruin this forum,

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    As i re read that i accept it reads a bit harsh , i was rushing , what i really meant was would he take a Pass like he did against Rovers with a view to an easier potential 3 points against Derry. small side benefit also being that if he loses he can say it was a weakened team which is better for morale and then hopefully pick up 3 against Derry.
    I'd actually forgotten about the Molde match so you are probably right, taking that into account he has no choice but to go full strength on Friday as he can hardly play a weak team friday and a full team then against Derry before the Molde match.

Big match Friday if DFC lose then i don't like the B teams chances against Derry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    The Rovers game preceded a game worth €4mil by so saving players for that was both understandable and expected. Finn Harps was after the same game so the team was rotated again. Whether people think players not good enough outside of 13 or 14 players makes no difference, the were mostly signed on merit in the beief that they were good enough - I think most are but lack match sharpness. Damned if you do damed if you dont with the critics saying that an expensive squad isnt being used and rotated but when that happens its is disrespecting the league, fielding a weak side, player recruitment poor. Its not unusual for squads to be rotated in football.

FG wont be thinking of creating excuses in advance of a game or deliberately put out a 'weakened' side for that purpose. If anything he is planning for next season and needs to see players in action. He also sees the players daily in training so knows what they are made of and selects a team accordingly. Dummigan is a great example of a player that hadnt been getting game time, was touted as being an option at LB, and now played there. We had an issue with constant injuries so maybe player loads needed better management and not flog the same lads. Players need to play to gel in to a team. 3 points are the target in every game, bar maybe the Rovers game with the league done and dusted and what was at stake financially. The more these lads play together under rotation the better they will get as a team but there is a balance needed too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Don't disagree and if you beat bohs and Derry there would be an argument for only playing the b team from then on in the league and let the A team play EL matches. Key is to get European qualification out of the way.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    If bohs beat dundalk on friday the title is still very much on, especially with the expected abscences at Rovers over the next few weeks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Byrne and Burke our two top scorers both out but watts and Williams come in and it's still a strong team.
    Burke back for harps on Monday.
    We need 4 points from 4 games winning t he league has nothing to do with bohs or dundalk. That's all on us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Don't disagree and if you beat bohs and Derry there would be an argument for only playing the b team from then on in the league and let the A team play EL matches. Key is to get European qualification out of the way.
    Definitely the sooner the better to qualify for Europe and Im sure that will be the aim. Europe is not a forgone conclusion yet and there isnt a whole lot of expectation for the EL games, could be a bit of sh1t show actually. Balanced rotation is fine as I generally think players need games just as much as recovery time, so imo not making 7 or 8 changes for example, espcially with the additional subs options. Unless we do achieve something in the EL and if genuinely competative then the temptation would be to extensively rotate as you suggest for league games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    If bohs beat dundalk on friday the title is still very much on, especially with the expected abscences at Rovers over the next few weeks.
    Its over

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12