Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GAA club in NY ?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

GAA club in NY ?!

This week while showing some foreign friends around in Dublin and taking them shopping, we visited a sportsgear shop and I noticed them selling a shirt with the logo of a club called "GAA New York". The logo also contained an image of the Statue of Liberty, the colours were white with a few minor stripes in -if i remember this well- red and blue.

I was a bit surprised to see this. As an immigrant coming from a country where Gaelic Football is not played I don't know that much of the sport, but since my arrival in Ireland I did pay attention to some articles in the press, and never I saw a teamname appear from a county or club not based in Ireland or Northern Ireland.

Does NY really have a Gaelic Football club ? If yes, in what league do they play ? (*I can imagine clubs from Ireland would rather not make an expensive trip to the USA for one league game per season*)

It would make sense of course to see cities like New York or Boston have a GAA team, given the many inhabitants from Irish origin. On the other hand it would make less sense to have a domestic all-Ireland league with one single club from the US. It would include massive travel costs for clubs from Dublin, Belfast, Cork, etc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    yes ny do have a gaa club and they have a nice website too [http://www.ny-gaa.org/], i fact london also have a county gaa team, under the name london county [http://www.londongaa.org/]. america has so many gaa clubs, that they even have their own organisation [www.nagaa.org]
    hope this helps you

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit
    This week while showing some foreign friends around in Dublin and taking them shopping, we visited a sportsgear shop and I noticed them selling a shirt with the logo of a club called "GAA New York". The logo also contained an image of the Statue of Liberty, the colours were white with a few minor stripes in -if i remember this well- red and blue.

I was a bit surprised to see this. As an immigrant coming from a country where Gaelic Football is not played I don't know that much of the sport, but since my arrival in Ireland I did pay attention to some articles in the press, and never I saw a teamname appear from a county or club not based in Ireland or Northern Ireland.

Does NY really have a Gaelic Football club ? If yes, in what league do they play ? (*I can imagine clubs from Ireland would rather not make an expensive trip to the USA for one league game per season*)

It would make sense of course to see cities like New York or Boston have a GAA team, given the many inhabitants from Irish origin. On the other hand it would make less sense to have a domestic all-Ireland league with one single club from the US. It would include massive travel costs for clubs from Dublin, Belfast, Cork, etc
    Salthill/Knocknacarra Gaa Official Website- http://www.salthillknocknacarragaa.ie/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thanks for your reply I take that all those GAA clubs consist of Irish immigrants ? I never saw the sport being played abroad of Ireland...

But do the GAA clubs in London and NY play competitive games against the Irish GAA clubs (maybe they're even in the same league ??) or do England/UK and USA have their own GAA leagues ?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    the gaa in usa have their own leagues, new yor and chicago have separate leagues. i think boston and san francisco might also have gaa leagues.
    london play agianst the other 32 counties in the all-ireland championship as well as national league competitions, however new york only participate in the championship,as the practicalities,or lack thereof, in playing in the league would be far too time-consuming and expensive

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    745 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit
    Thanks for your reply I take that all those GAA clubs consist of Irish immigrants ? I never saw the sport being played abroad of Ireland...

Generally yes but not necessarily. There is a club team at Stamford Uni which the NY team can draw players from, as far as I know there are (or at least were) some with no Irish connections on the NY team.

Both teams play in the all ireland championship but have not been very successful, neither have won a game since 1975! NY went down by 28 points to Mayo last year.

The NY board used to pay the expenses for Irish teams to go to play the matches but I'm not sure if this is still the case.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler
    The NY board used to pay the expenses for Irish teams to go to play the matches but I'm not sure if this is still the case.
    sure, why wouldnt they. they have a sponsorship deal with bud!!! now who do you think gives more money Tommy Varden or Budweiser???
    Salthill/Knocknacarra Gaa Official Website- http://www.salthillknocknacarragaa.ie/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    so NY is playing in the All-Ireland championships ?

What about Boston, Chicago and the other US teams ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Galway starts their All-Ireland campaign with a game at Gaelic Park in the Bronx in May. For the couple of year, New York has been included with the Connaught football championship and the NY Hurling is included with the Ulter championship. They are not that great but I guess one of these years they'll produce a shock and get a win.

Boston, San Fran and Chicago all have their own leagues (as does NY obviously) but are not included with the All-Ireland championships.
    Last edited by Metrostars; 11/04/2005 at 7:05 PM.
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    New York won the National Football League title a few times (three I think) in the fifties, playing just one game per season.

Following the All-Ireland that was held over there they started a two final process in the league for a few years. There would be a home final over here and the winners of that travelled to New York to play them. New York won a few times and are credited as National league winners for those years. Interestingly the games ended with a hooter as separate time-keepers were used to the ref.

A similar thing used to happen in the early 20th century where the All-Ireland would have a home final followed by the actual final. Not sure if they had it in football but London have one All Ireland hurling title to their name as a result of this system.
    Check out my new sports blog http://www.action81.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Barcelona have one aswell.

Barcelona Gaels

It is more worldwide than you might think
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Gerritt,

There's GAA clubs literally all over the world. Anywhere where you find Irish people - particularly US, Canada, Australia, England, Scotland, Walest etc, but also in places you mightened expect like Hong Kong and Thailand (there's an Asian Championships played every year). The standard is low and the participants are all employed in 'proper jobs' but just fancy a knock-around on the weekend.

In Britain, there are a lot of clubs, including a significant number of University teams who play an annual championship (usually won by Liverpool John Moores Uni).

In the West Midlands in England (i.e. the area around Birmingham) Gaelic games has recently been accepted as a sport on the general curriculum, so will be taught at a great many schools over there. Naturally, a lot of the kids who learn it will have no Irish connections at all. Elsewhere in Britain, a number of other schools with Catholic/Irish backgrounds also have Gaelic games on their PR curriculum.

Only New York and London (to the best of my knowledge) have participated in the National League and All-Ireland. The same shop that had the New York top (I'm surprised it wasn't written as Gaeilige as 'Nua-Eabhrac') will probably have the green London (or Londain) one as well.

On my last trip back to Derry at Christmas I even saw a New York fire brigades GAA jersey for sale in a shop !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve
    Gerritt,

There's GAA clubs literally all over the world. Anywhere where you find Irish people - particularly US, Canada, Australia, England, Scotland, Walest etc, but also in places you mightened expect like Hong Kong and Thailand (there's an Asian Championships played every year). The standard is low and the participants are all employed in 'proper jobs' but just fancy a knock-around on the weekend.

In Britain, there are a lot of clubs, including a significant number of University teams who play an annual championship (usually won by Liverpool John Moores Uni).

In the West Midlands in England (i.e. the area around Birmingham) Gaelic games has recently been accepted as a sport on the general curriculum, so will be taught at a great many schools over there. Naturally, a lot of the kids who learn it will have no Irish connections at all. Elsewhere in Britain, a number of other schools with Catholic/Irish backgrounds also have Gaelic games on their PR curriculum.

Only New York and London (to the best of my knowledge) have participated in the National League and All-Ireland. The same shop that had the New York top (I'm surprised it wasn't written as Gaeilige as 'Nua-Eabhrac') will probably have the green London (or Londain) one as well.

On my last trip back to Derry at Christmas I even saw a New York fire brigades GAA jersey for sale in a shop !
    GAA players in Ireland are employed in proper jobs aswell you know
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    It's one of the nicer jerseys the New York GAA strip, if you ask me. Which reminds me, time I picked one up.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    There's GAA clubs literally all over the world.
    And where would they be without football, rugby, cricket, etc grounds to play and train in? *

[SIZE=1]*not a dig at you steve, just one major thing that písses me off about Rule 42[/SIZE]
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    And where would they be without football, rugby, cricket, etc grounds to play and train in? *

[SIZE=1]*not a dig at you steve, just one major thing that písses me off about Rule 42[/SIZE]
    Well if they are atraining on cricket pitches its no wonder they struggle to score!

Too much red white & blue for me on the NYFD GAA Jersey
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    I have that jersey, 'tis nice I also have a Londáin one..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy

Totally agree with you Macy. Sadly, it looks like my fellow Hicks in Ulster will be voting against a change. Hopefully the rest of the country will provide the 2/3rds needed to out-vote the 'not-so-magnificent' seven......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    I have the FDNY Jersey, the regular New York one is nice as well.
    Check out my new sports blog http://www.action81.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    New York is voting against the change even though they play on a field owned by a college who use it for soccer and lacrosse.
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    But why are NY and London included in the Irish championship then and not other American or English clubs and not Barcelona etc ? Why do NY and London want to play in the Irish leagues and why does the All-Ireland board accept them ? (I have nothing against them, but the costs for those two games per season must be killing for the average Irish GAA club)

and the NY GAA club plays in the Bronx ?? there are worse things that can happen to you there than losing a GAA match

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast