Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: taoiseachs salute

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

taoiseachs salute

since when did they start asking people to stand for this uber-mockery of a moment.

he's a td not a king

I can't say I like the idea of it and shant be standing at future games - I thought I was standing for the anthems on saturday and was less than pleased when I realised what was going on.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    It's the first time i ever had to stand for it and i did so and will do again if asked,i just hope people will not boo the next time

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    oh yes I'd forgotten the booing.

I just don't think this kind of silliness has any place at an international. I've respect for the office of taoiseach but I wouldn't stand if bertie was opening my local supermarket. you wouldn't see wembley standing for tony blair

this kind of elevating of the taoiseach is yet another kick in the stones for bona fide democracy and promotes the elitism of these politician goons.

btw - sorry mods- should have posted in other forum- move when possible

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamo kerry
    oh yes I'd forgotten the booing.

I just don't think this kind of silliness has any place at an international. I've respect for the office of taoiseach but I wouldn't stand if bertie was opening my local supermarket. you wouldn't see wembley standing for tony blair

this kind of elevating of the taoiseach is yet another kick in the stones for bona fide democracy and promotes the elitism of these politician goons.

btw - sorry mods- should have posted in other forum- move when possible
    I agree with you,but even though i am not Berties biggest fan i still do not want to be disrespctful to him or the position

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    fair enough. i see your point but being asked in the first place is inappropriate in my opinion.. the booing is tongue in cheek really and reflects the reality.

agree to disagree with you on the future standing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I didn't stand for Bertie, I've no time for him or his poliitcs but I didn't boo him. But yet again, where is our head of state for the games? I think the President was at the Cyprus game last September and that's about it in the last few years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    who was it who got the big cheer after we al booed bertie. there was a big laugh - was it the referee?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    542 Posts
    fair enough. i see your point but being asked in the first place is inappropriate in my opinion.. the booing is tongue in cheek really and reflects the reality.

agree to disagree with you on the future standing.
    what have we come to when the leader of our nation, whether you like him or not, cant be shown a bit of respect when he's presented at an international occasion?? and as for the pathetic booing... most of the clowns booing probably dont even have any reason to do so other than they are sheep and will do what others around are doing.
    this kind of nonsense is yet another example of how unpatriotic we have become. imo Bertie has done far far more than any previous politician for sport in this country and should be respected for that alone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    all I'm saying is that he shoulnd't be put on a pedastel. He's only a politician.

not any better or worse than the others. I'm perfectly patriotic thank you very much. Patriotism does not include deifying an elected official.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor74
    I think this should be compulsory.

Respect for Bertie

legend

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne
    what have we come to when the leader of our nation, whether you like him or not, cant be shown a bit of respect when he's presented at an international occasion?? and as for the pathetic booing... most of the clowns booing probably dont even have any reason to do so other than they are sheep and will do what others around are doing.
    this kind of nonsense is yet another example of how unpatriotic we have become. imo Bertie has done far far more than any previous politician for sport in this country and should be respected for that alone
    Exactly what i was trying to say but put better than i could put it

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I don't go to Ireland games any more, but when I did, I ALWAYS booed that idiot ahern every time he appeared and I would encourage people to do so in the future. He's an idiot and an enemy of irish sport- **** him

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    But politically you hate Bertie Ahern anyway. If, say, Pat Rabbitte became Taoiseach and we didn't suddenly turn in to a land of milk and honey, would you boo him too or is it purely a party political thing?
    I don't support Pat Rabbitte either. Bertie has been bad for Irish sport, football in particular, and if he has the gall to turn up at Landsdowne looking for adulation he can forget it. ANY political leader who has shown Irish football the disrespect that this idiot has deserves to be booed- its not an anti-FF/Bertie thing, it's purely based on his record with regard to sport

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    So, for clarification, on the basis of their past records, you would also have booed Bruton, Spring, Quinn, Dukes, Collins, and all the other party leaders who historically have shown, more or less, the same contempt for sport in this country?
    Well the issue didn't arise, because I wasn't at landsdowne when any of them were there! But in principle, yes I would have. What really gets me about Bertie is the whole eircom Park thing TBH. Anyway, I told Bertie exactly what I thought of his attitude to Irish sport on the one occasion I met him

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    790 Posts
    Bertie lost what little respect I had for him when he appeared as a pundit on the Premeriship. My God, talk about demeaning the Office in a feeble attempt "to be a man of the people". Pathetic.

I think should get rid of the Taoiseach's salute and the President's salute and all this nonsense of being presented to the teams.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan
    Bertie lost what little respect I had for him when he appeared as a pundit on the Premeriship.
    When the hell did that happen?!?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holidaysong
    When the hell did that happen?!?
    I'd actually forgotten all about that

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    First we shoot the greatest man in the histrory of the country and now we can't show any respect for the leader of the country,and despite all this,we as a nation love to talk about how patriotic(spelling?) we are and how much we love Ireland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    ireland isn't about it's politicians. You can be patriotic and have no time for politicians.

I've been at a fair few internationals now and have never been asked to stand for this 'salute' before. If it's only because bertie hasn't been at the other games then I ask 'why not'?

ps: I object to standing for any taoiseach. not just bertie and please don't use such sweeping statements as 'greatest man in this country' at least add a IMHO.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    ps: I object to standing for any taoiseach. not just bertie and please don't use such sweeping statements as 'greatest man in this country' at least add a IMHO.
    I'm not arguing with you here but i must ask who do you feel is?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast