Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Games Weekend 25th September

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Impetulant children, mid table side, ghost shoves (maybe it was a shadow of a ghost?!) substantial fines, integrity of league damaged...

well at least it is unusual sh!te from the usual suspects! For a good old hammering of a reserve side there is some small bit of satisfaction at the gloating and hand wringing apparent -
    Be interesting to see how the wages of that "reserve side" would compare to Rovers' starting XI. Boyle, Shields, Flores, Kelly, Oduwa, McMillan, Dummigan would all be on very decent money. I know for a fact Dundalk's offer to Kelly was over three times what Rovers offered him. It's completely normal for any team playing in the Europa League to play Thursday and Sunday, and after listening to the incessant noise from Dundalk about this world class squad of 75 first teamers built to compete on every front, the amount of whinging about this game being played is absolutely laughable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Keith long has a good shout at it , have to feel a bit sorry for Giovanni though not getting a crack T a full season
    I know you're probably on the wind up towards Bohs fans, but the Dundalk owners have been warned against going near Long, so don't think that'll be happening. Anyway, Long would be no use unless Croly (the brains at Bohs) was to come with him. If we win on Thursday, the job is Filippo's.

Quote Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
    Dundalk fans have told us their second string would be able to challenge for the league
    I didn't see anyone saying that, and if they did then they obviously haven't got a clue about football.

On team selection, Rovers would have done the same if they were in the situation, but they were useless in Europe so they only have the league to worry about.

As for us, last night was further evidence (not that it was needed) that the recruitment has been a joke since Kenny left. We have a huge squad but we only have about 15 quality players. The rest of it is filled with rubbish. There is zero "strength in depth".

Where's the Dundalk fan that had a horn for Dummigan on here a few weeks ago? Hopefully the club's nonsense PR campaign surrounding him ends now. Although Rovers must have fallen for it as he's apparently on his way there.

Patching (ex Man City, "a moneyball signing", the next Jack Byrne etc), Oduwa (ex Spurs / Rangers), Gatt ("Solskjaer's first signing at Molde"). The supporters have been fed some amount of BS about these signings.

Then there's McCarey. It's hard to believe he was in an Irish squad under O'Neill a couple of years ago. He is the worst back up keeper we've had in years. Add in Flores who has spat the dummy over a contract.

Last night's performance was a disgrace. These guys shouldn't be given a pass. Last night should spell the end of their time with us. That starting 11 costs the club over €15,000 per week. There's an incredible amount of money being wasted by the club.

We shouldn't have been beaten like that. Not even our 2012 team ever got a hiding like that at home.

Thursday's game gives us a shot at nearly €4m, which would help to cover the costs of the mistakes of the past couple of years along with the money lost during Covid. But the recruitment policy needs a serious rethink or it's just going to continue on as it has been.

Losing on Thursday doesn't even bear thinking about.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lilywhites View Post

On team selection, Rovers would have done the same if they were in the situation, but they were useless in Europe so they only have the league to worry about.
    Rovers played a league game inbetween our playoff against Partizan in 2011, playeed a stong team and won. Its what good teams do. No crying about how unfair it was they just got on with it.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    The difference is that Rovers were going for the league when that happened, dundalk had no league winning intentions last night. I've no problem with it, as a Rovers fan.
    As for fairness to the other clubs, **** them, this league, more than most, you have to look after yourself first and foremost.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
    Rovers played a league game inbetween our playoff against Partizan in 2011, playeed a stong team and won. Its what good teams do. No crying about how unfair it was they just got on with it.
    Not the same situation. Rovers were going for the league in 2011. We played every 3-4 days in 2016 in between European games. We played twice in 5 days after beating Maccabi in the groups. Our priority now is Europe as the league is over, Thursday's game is worth an additional €2.3m, so we were right to play the reserves.

I wasn't crying about the game being played, it's probably best to have it out of the way as we have enough games to catch up on. I'm just annoyed by the performance of some of our players who simply shouldn't be at the club.

Btw, Legia and Lech had their Polish league games called off ahead of their European ties this week, so let's not pretend it doesn't happen in other leagues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    [QUOTE=The Lilywhites;2050464]I know you're probably on the wind up towards Bohs fans, but the Dundalk owners have been warned against going near Long, so don't think that'll be happening. Anyway, Long would be no use unless Croly (the brains at Bohs) was to come with him. If we win on Thursday, the job is Filippo's.

You are right on Croly i did'nt say that but i took it as a given.
    What is wrong with Long that you have been "warned off him" ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Impetulant children, mid table side, ghost shoves (maybe it was a shadow of a ghost?!) substantial fines, integrity of league damaged...

well at least it is unusual sh!te from the usual suspects! For a good old hammering of a reserve side there is some small bit of satisfaction at the gloating and hand wringing apparent - hardly surprising that years of frustration is bubbling to the surface in fairness.

Oduwa needs a whole lot of coaching to fulfill any of his potential, not coaching flair out of him just some proper work ethic in working back. Considering Dummigan has barely gotten in to double digits in appearances and was a first game since injury he needed help - a miss by the coaching staff maybe not to ensure that he got cover. Gatt as a signing that has been contentious. Not a reflection on his ability but that he may have been a boardroom signing. I'm not sure Kelly is a starter yet either rather than an impact sub. He is young and bags of potential but can be infuriating with his 1st instinct to 'trip over'. Patching has somthing to prove for sure but hasnt had games to do so. U19s got a serious lesson in the level they need to get to and how much hard work is needed to cut it at senior level so some value to their time on the pitch.

I thought last nights team selection was a chance for some players to stake a claim, some did and some will be gone at seasons end. I felt myself that this was going to be a chastening game if the manager wrung the changes with Thursday in mind. Financially it made sense, not easy to concede a title though, however unlikely it was that the outstanding team of the season would be reeled in.
    Oduwa was the bright spot for Dundalk last night, great pace and a handful at times but his tracking back was shocking, i'm amazed the senior pros in the team let him away with it.
    Saw a Stephen Henderson tweet last night that made me smile "Oduwas pace seems to desert him when it comes to tracking runners"
    A substantial kick in the arse and a bit of coaching and he could be good. Does he want it though or is he happy to just get paid and move on
    If he is willing to work he could be excelent

Patching and Gatt were very poor, Sheilds stood out playing at CB

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
    Be interesting to see how the wages of that "reserve side" would compare to Rovers' starting XI. Boyle, Shields, Flores, Kelly, Oduwa, McMillan, Dummigan would all be on very decent money. I know for a fact Dundalk's offer to Kelly was over three times what Rovers offered him. It's completely normal for any team playing in the Europa League to play Thursday and Sunday, and after listening to the incessant noise from Dundalk about this world class squad of 75 first teamers built to compete on every front, the amount of whinging about this game being played is absolutely laughable.
    It would! But as is the usual rolled out, the board sets the budget and the manager manages it. Maybe board and manager flaws in judgement. The main noise from fans tbh was to question a number of signings, a quick look at Orielweb would clear that up. Those that built the squad were probably the ones that lauded the quality most. There is undoubted depth to the squad but lack of game time and in some cases, quality and coaching, have been exposed. Not necessarily the entire fault of coaching staff.

As for looking for games to be rescheduled, well we know all about a heavy match schedule at Dundalk FC in recent years, from Europa League group stages or running to the final of every domestic competition. Clubs seek posponements, FAI or opponents refuse, game is played, people moan about a subsequent loss - sounds all pretty standard fare. I dont bother with twitter but is there really that much complaining about the fixture? I'm sure that Dundalk FC will be able to prove that there was no intentional weakening of the team for a league game when they point out the wages the 'reserves' are on! Did Kelly have a kitchen sink thrown in with his offer by any chance?
    Last edited by Nesta99; 28/09/2020 at 3:52 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    It would! But as is the usual rolled, the board sets the budget and the manager manages it. Maybe board and manager flaws in judgement. The main noise from fans tbh was to question a number of signings, a quick look at Orielweb would clear that up. Those that built the squad were probably the ones that lauded the quality most. There is undoubted depth to the squad but lack of game time and in some cases, quality and coaching, have been exposed. Not necessarily the entire fault of coaching staff.

As for looking for games to be rescheduled, well we know all about a heavy match schedule at Dundalk FC in recent years, from Europa League group stages or running to the final of every domestic competition. Clubs seek posponements, FAI or opponents refuse, game is played, people moan about a subsequent loss - sounds all pretty standard fare. I dont bother with twitter but is there really that much complaining about the fixture? I'm sure that Dundalk FC will be able to prove that there was no intentional weakening of the team for a league game when they point out the wages the 'reserves' are on! Did Kelly have a kitchen sink thrown in with his offer by any chance?

we offered a kitchen sink and you guys threw in an en-suite bathroom
    With all the euro millions coming in again , it'll be en-suite bathrooms and throw in a Bidet and gold taps from now on

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Oduwa was the bright spot for Dundalk last night, great pace and a handful at times but his tracking back was shocking, i'm amazed the senior pros in the team let him away with it.
    Saw a Stephen Henderson tweet last night that made me smile "Oduwas pace seems to desert him when it comes to tracking runners"
    A substantial kick in the arse and a bit of coaching and he could be good. Does he want it though or is he happy to just get paid and move on
    If he is willing to work he could be excelent

Patching and Gatt were very poor, Sheilds stood out playing at CB
    Ye always worry when ye see a young player with a clatter of past clubs. I think he can be a great Dundalk player but he needs that toe in the hole for sure. Nonchalant or arrogant and thinking he that good, well I havent decided yet and its too soon to be fair to the lad he doesnt come across as arrogant in interviews. I was surprised to see him left out of the match day squad when FG came in (along with Gatt). Henderson hit the nail on the head though with that comment. I think Patchinng will come good and had shown somthing before the league was postponed. Even if Shields has a poor game it is hard to be critical considering what he does give - should be the example of work ethic for the younger lads!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    we offered a kitchen sink and you guys threw in an en-suite bathroom
    With all the euro millions coming in again , it'll be en-suite bathrooms and throw in a Bidet and gold taps from now on
    I'm not convinced the average footballer would know what to do with a bidet

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    I'm not convinced the average footballer would know what to do with a bidet
    First time I saw a bidet - "Oh look, there's a baby bath too"

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Thats just you country bumpkins, our Dublin lads would know their Bidets

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    I wont offer up the detail of my what my Capital cousin did on his first 'use' of a bidet then He may have been 5 at the time but family never tire of reminding him occasionally!! He is a Shels fan too.....

Now this really is off topic but I dont think it needs a thread of its own somehow.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    It sums it up that Aaron McCarey when he first started in loi it was monaghan utd all these years ago. I could never get the hype with him at all!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Being a Monaghan native though and got a move to England young. He was a good option as reserve, good age for a keeper to improve too. Now that Rogers is kicking on a bit even for a keeper, whether McCarey can step up to being No 1 is certainly going to be a question. I think he can from what has been seen. But it is a bit strange that his appearances for RoI underage teams make up a good % of his overall appearances including club level. I'd highly rate Steve Williams as a coach, as he was rated as a top keeper also, so if there was a concern about McCarey's ability to step up I hope it'd be flagged as needing to be addressed. Not easy to find real quality and consistant keepers as Rovers fans would know all too well until Mannus returned, which was a big piece of the puzzle to a league winning side. Similar to finding that hatstand that makes chances count, especially in Europe and there isnt a really outstanding goal poacher in the league imo. One thing for sure is that its unlikely to be a quiet close season at Oriel Park, Thursday will be a big influencer but there will be no shortage of intrigue, contract wranglings comings and goings with a huge dollop of wind ups and rumour!

18. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    To be fair, Dundalk looked like a side filled with players who hadn't played together before, and hadn't really played much individually either. Rovers weren't amazing either but clinical, and that Jack Byrne goal

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    To be fair, Dundalk looked like a side filled with players who hadn't played together before, and hadn't really played much individually either. Rovers weren't amazing either but clinical, and that Jack Byrne goal
    The distance between the two sides that played on Sunday was significant. I don't expect it to be similar if the teams meet again this season.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    The distance between the two sides that played on Sunday was significant. I don't expect it to be similar if the teams meet again this season.
    No, it won't be. There are a few players there who Vinny Perth was right to think have no business being near a Dundalk team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Did VP say that? Supporters certainly were thinking so about the odd one. That said there wasnt the greatest of opportunities to get player match sharp with the truncated season. Players in the past ofen took a season before showing form with us. Its hard to judge lads based on a few gamer and a hammering by the form team and champions elect. If a cup game were to happen, as mentioned by Ezeikial, it would be a tighter affair. It would indicate that there very much is a 1st and reserve squad but generally its not been a good season for settling players. Colovic wasnt too badly hampared by the disruption though so limited excuses for others especially if not being at a minimum level of fitness albeit not match sharp.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast