Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: U23 Players 2020-21

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Is he defo lost to England or was that nonsense? seems like a move that would help our cause
    What nonsense are you referring to?

My concern with this lad is that he has just one Irish grandparent. Rice had two. Grealish had three. It just makes retaining him a little more of a challenge. But there may be plenty other aspects that present less of a challenge.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    745 Posts
    Is he defo lost to England or was that nonsense? seems like a move that would help our cause
    Hadn't heard anything to suggest he was lost to England, given he'll probably be promoted to our under 21s I don't see him switching in the short term at least.

Derry are in an unusual position actually - as the only club based within the UK whose transfer window is still open they can bring in players at the moment without being subjected to any self isolation or quarantine. I wonder if they're looking at any other loan options currently.

As a whole the LoI could probably be doing more to market the summer football option they could offer to English based players in need of game time.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

3. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Strange one for Hodge if it happens. Is a bit concerning that he hasn't been in the City Under 23 team despite so many of them being out on loan. He has looked excellent at underage level for Ireland, often playing well above his age group. But this kind of move would make me wonder if City have a different view of his potential as a senior footballer than we do.
    I tend to agree. City (And all big PL clubs) would have plenty of scouts from other teams trying to take their most promising young players on loan. The fact that no bigger clubs are coming in raises a potential warning flag to me about his ability.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Hadn't heard anything to suggest he was lost to England, given he'll probably be promoted to our under 21s I don't see him switching in the short term at least.

Derry are in an unusual position actually - as the only club based within the UK whose transfer window is still open they can bring in players at the moment without being subjected to any self isolation or quarantine. I wonder if they're looking at any other loan options currently.

As a whole the LoI could probably be doing more to market the summer football option they could offer to English based players in need of game time.
    TBH I have no idea where I heard or saw it, I though it was on this forum, but maybe not

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kennedmc View Post
    I tend to agree. City (And all big PL clubs) would have plenty of scouts from other teams trying to take their most promising young players on loan. The fact that no bigger clubs are coming in raises a potential warning flag to me about his ability.
    Did he not win their "Scholar of the year" award or something

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    745 Posts
    There seems to be a bit of a battle ongoing for the services of Flynn Clarke, a midfielder for Peterborough who has just turned 18. Has previously represented Scotland but us eligible for England and Ireland as well with apparent interest from England.

Would seem a good addition to our under 19s this year if we can get him involved.
    https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/...nt-3123197?amp

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    For what its worth his profile pic on social media is him in an Ireland shirt and has never given any indication that Ive seen that hes going to switch. Recently enough shared a video of his Ireland underage highlights with the caption of looking forward to getting back to it.

Social media doesnt mean everything, but its something in this day and age

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kennedmc View Post
    I wouldn't read too much into that. Dara O'Shea was on loan with Hereford two years ago and now he's a Premier League regular. Teams choose loan moves based on what will improve their player.

10. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Should definitely be looked into more. Trying to think what players have come over on loan to Ireland and really done well for themselves. The only one I can think of is Michael Hector at Dundalk, ended up having a solid career.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    From what I understand, Fergal Harkin played a big role in this move. English clubs definitely seeing more value in the League of Ireland as a development league now. Man City, in particular, will know the role it played with Gavin Bazunu, will surely be aware of Jack Byrne's progress here, and the aforementioned Fergal Harkin is highly involved with Man City's young players and their loan dealings, is from Donegal, former Finn Harps and Bohs player, and still keeps a close eye on the league.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    There seems to be a bit of a battle ongoing for the services of Flynn Clarke, a midfielder for Peterborough who has just turned 18. Has previously represented Scotland but us eligible for England and Ireland as well with apparent interest from England.

Would seem a good addition to our under 19s this year if we can get him involved.
    https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/...nt-3123197?amp
    Mentioned him on the Eligibility thread a few months back, FAI were first to get in touch, the paperwork was / is being processed but meanwhile Scotland came in and had a game which he was called up for. He has an English parent and a Scottish one but his Irish link is a generation further back, a grandmother I think (but possibly a grandparent either side of the family). He was quite happy to declare for Ireland until the Scotland option opened up more immediately and may yet do so but the English FA are now onto him as well according to your link above. Encouraging though that the FAI were first to reach out to him.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    558 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Mentioned him on the Eligibility thread a few months back, FAI were first to get in touch, the paperwork was / is being processed but meanwhile Scotland came in and had a game which he was called up for. He has an English parent and a Scottish one but his Irish link is a generation further back, a grandmother I think (but possibly a grandparent either side of the family). He was quite happy to declare for Ireland until the Scotland option opened up more immediately and may yet do so but the English FA are now onto him as well according to your link above. Encouraging though that the FAI were first to reach out to him.
    In Like Flynn !

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Sinclair Armstrong has signed a new contract at QPR. Was linked to loads of clubs including Man City, Celtic and Palace.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    745 Posts
    Evan Ferguson scored his first goal for Brighton Under 23s tonight in a 6-1 win over West Ham, who had a player sent off very early on in the game. Odubeko scored the West Ham goal.

Sounds like Ferguson had a decent game for the hour or so he was on and was involved in a lot of the positive Brighton play. Interesting that he is already starting for their Under 23s at 16 whereas Matt Everett, who is 18 now, still seems to be stuck in the Under 18 team.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Evan Ferguson scored his first goal for Brighton Under 23s tonight in a 6-1 win over West Ham, who had a player sent off very early on in the game. Odubeko scored the West Ham goal.

Sounds like Ferguson had a decent game for the hour or so he was on and was involved in a lot of the positive Brighton play. Interesting that he is already starting for their Under 23s at 16 whereas Matt Everett, who is 18 now, still seems to be stuck in the Under 18 team.
    Assist on his goal came from James Furlong, who seems to be making good progress. A third member of the next wave of young Irish strikers was on target tonight - Tom Cannon grabbed Everton's goal in their 3-1 defeat to Man City: https://www.premierleague.com/match/...0-21/tbc-v-tbc

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    Assist on his goal came from James Furlong, who seems to be making good progress. A third member of the next wave of young Irish strikers was on target tonight - Tom Cannon grabbed Everton's goal in their 3-1 defeat to Man City: https://www.premierleague.com/match/...0-21/tbc-v-tbc
    Notice there was a lad called McAtee who set up two of City’s goals, who sounds like a Fodenesque style player. A hell of a lot post famine Irish in Salford where he’s from, however good Catholic sounding names in him and his brother John would make him worthy of an FAI approach.

Great news on Ferguson. Faith in him at such a young age sounds like the making of a generational player for us.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MancIrishWolf View Post
    Notice there was a lad called McAtee who set up two of City’s goals, who sounds like a Fodenesque style player. A hell of a lot post famine Irish in Salford where he’s from, however good Catholic sounding names in him and his brother John would make him worthy of an FAI approach.

Great news on Ferguson. Faith in him at such a young age sounds like the making of a generational player for us.
    Hi Keiren!

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    Cannon's goal is in the highlights on man City 's site here, at 0:46
    https://www.mancity.com/citytv/eds-a...ights-63748157
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    745 Posts
    Hodge confirmed as going on loan to Derry. Very interesting move.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    745 Posts
    Tyriek Wright seems to have gotten off to a great start at Walsall. Obviously the standard of League 2 needs to be taken into account, but it's good that he is making a quick impression there. Went off injured last night, hopefully nothing serious. Could definitely play a role for our under 21s in the next campaign, although he'll have plenty of competition for a place in the squad.

Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast