Thanked in
    386 Posts
    We were? Ye’re ****e by the way.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    The worst winners ever is def an every year thing, even when Rovers won the 4 in a row there were people who didn't rate them.
    Its fair to say Rovers were fortunate to not give away a penalty against Bohs last week but equally if it wasn't for the ball not breaking for us in the box against two backs to the wall performances from Shels and particularly Pats we could have a record of played 10 won 10.
    I actually think the match in Cork this Saturday is a potential banana skin coming in between the Bohs and AC Milan Matches...100% concentration needed and hopefully Dundalk and or Bohs dont pick up max points against Shels and Waterford.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Qualify for Europa League for 2021
    There's no Europa League spots now for our league. So it's the new Europa Conference League for us (hopefully)...
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Ha well I'm sure there is a legitimate 'worst ever' league winner there but it seems to come up quite often. Sligo fans were very fond of declaring everyone who won the title except them to be terrible (until they turned ****e and most of the posters disappeared into a black hole).
    It's a poor league look who's third.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Not sure I would agree with that, but the 1994/95 League win by Dundalk was up there for that argument. We were in 3rd spot on the final day, and won it by a point. I wouldn't say there was much style about that team, dogged would be a better word, we had two good wingers, the best player in Brian Byrne and also Joe Hanrahan on the other wing, but Byrne also played up front ! We ended up with at least 3 different main striker options, one being a GAA player, and changed keeper half way through campaign, and lost 8 games I think from 33, but only one after xmas.

It was of course brilliant to win it, esp listening to last few mins of the Athlone v Derry game played over the PA in oriel park, 1-1 draw, but I would have said 3rd spot would have befitted that season's efforts, but we did get the most points although no players made it on the league team of the year, that was hillarious.
    I dunno really, that title was a bit unexpected after the disaster of the split league format the year previous that nearly killed us. The club and league refelcted the country being in some sort of doldrums. Hard to fathom a last day of the league with 3 teams able to win it and not long prior half the league in with a shout. Derry being huge favourites as besides being the 'best' teams that season overall, they were away to an already relegated Athlone in St Mels.

To have had barely 2k at the game showed the general apathy from the previous season. What happened was in itself madcap but at least on the pitch. James Coll being presented with the PoTY trophy as the league trophy was in St Mels. It was said a duplicate was in Tolka but I dont believe that the FAI would have bothered with a duplicate trophy!! It was a cobbled together squad, no outstanding team in the league but Dundalk had a bit more resiliance and started to grind out results as the squad settled. The Van Boxtel debate raged and it was a tough watch as Jody Byrne habitually dropped the ball in to his own net when he was No. 1 and you could physically see the confidence drain away and him not wanting near the ball as the crowd bayed for Van Boxtel. That squad wasnt bad at all though, solid if unspectacular with Coll, Coady, Lawlor, Whelan and Doohan if not up front. McNulty, Britton, Long, Byrne and Suds, on the wing. Kelly, Patmore* and Whitnell and Doohan were effective. Whitnell was a sight to behold the way he went through players and generally caused chaos, could shoot and knock out a floodlight one moment or bust the back of the net the next - all while shouting at the top of his particularly high pitched voice that either hurt the ears or could only be heard by every dog across the town.

A candidate for worst league champions ever? possibly. But as far as achieving what they did as journeymen on a shoestring its is also one of the most remarkable league winners. Runners up in the LC and LSC (its a lovely trophy). When it is considered how bad the finances were after the split season, and where things went after including European game in United Park. Ive a great fondness for that side and how they battled to the title. The scenes at the end (It was my wee radio that got handed up to the gantry to broadcast the remainder of the game in St Mels!!), the peno miss and the ball off the line we were telling the Dundalk players mainly to Joe Soap (one of a few variations on his nickname) who was then at the Dundalk players to lift it against a belligerent Galways side. I never thought Id be lucky enough to experience that sort of high drama with my own club again until the famous night in Station Road after even lower times than of 93/94; then the BATE match + a few.
    So all this worst champions ever malarky is all so subjective. The only real guage is what happens in Europe but that even depends on factors like luck with the draw. If a team goes on to retain the title also but by the nature of LoI then, the league champions could be entirely different the following season.

*I actually dont remember Patmore playing tbh. His goals in the friendly but 94/95 season i dont recall too much of him. People thinking that Kelly wasnt good enough, not that liked, but was top scorer is another eccentricity to that season from my recollection.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 11/09/2020 at 5:56 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holidaysong View Post
    There's no Europa League spots now for our league. So it's the new Europa Conference League for us (hopefully)...
    Had forgotten this. Even more a reason to win the league this year with 3 different chances to progress through one of the comps. Rovers win one tie from CL/EL and they are within touching distance of a group stage. Has there been any indication of finances yet?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    I'd imagine even if there was (and I don't know), it would have to be up in the air with covid affecting everything.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    I dunno really, that title was a bit unexpected after the disaster of the split league format the year previous that nearly killed us. The club and league refelcted the country being in some sort of doldrums. Hard to fathom a last day of the league with 3 teams able to win it and not long prior half the league in with a shout. Derry being huge favourites as besides being the 'best' teams that season overall they were away to an already relegated Athlone in St Mels.

To have had barely 2k at the game showed the general apathy from the previous season. What happened was in itself madcap but at least on the pitch. James Coll being presented with the PoTY trophy as the league trophy was in St Mels. It was said a duplicate was in Tolka but I dont believe that the FAI would have bothered with a duplicate trophy!! It was a cobbled together squad, no outstanding team in the league but Dundalk had a bit more resiliance and started to grind out results as the squad settled. The Van Boxtel debate raged and it was a tough watch as Jody Byrne habitually dropped the ball in to his own net when he was No. 1 and you could physically see the confidence drain away and him not wanting near the ball as the crowd bayed for Van Boxtel. That squad wasnt bad at all though, solid if unspectacular with Coll, Coady, Lawlor, Whelan and Doohan if not up front. McNulty, Britton, Long, Byrne and Suds, on the wing. Kelly, Patmore* and Whitnell and Doohan were effective. Whitnell was a sight to behold the way he went through players and generally caused chaos, could shoot and knock out a floodlight one moment or bust the back of the net the next - all while shouting at the top of his particularly high pitched voice that either hurt the ears or or could only be heard by every dog across the town.

A candidate for worst league champions ever? possibly. But as far as achieving what they did as journeymen on a shoestring its is also one of the most remarkable league winners. Runners up in the LC and LSC (its a lovely trophy). When it is considered how bad the finances were after the split season, and where things went after including European game in United Park. Ive a great fondness for that side and how they battled to the title. The scenes at the end (It was my wee radio that got handed up to the gantry to broadcast the remainder of the game in St Mels!!), the peno miss and the ball off the line we were telling the Dundalk players mainly to Joe Soap (one of a few variations on his nickname) who was then at the Dundalk players to lift it against a belligerent Galways side. I never thought Id be lucky enough to experience that sort of high drama with my own club again until the famous night in Station Road after even lower times than of 93/94; then the BATE match + a few.
    So all this worst champions ever malarky is all so subjective. The only real guage is what happens in Europe but that even depends on factors like luck with the draw. If a team goes on to retain the title also but by the nature of LoI then, the league champions could be entirely different the following season.

*I actually dont remember Patmore playing tbh. His goals in the friendly but 94/95 season i dont recall too much of him. People thinking that Kelly wasnt good enough, not that liked, but was top scorer is another eccentricity to that season from my recollection.
    Thanks, excellent account.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I'd imagine even if there was (and I don't know), it would have to be up in the air with covid affecting everything.
    Had crossed my mind that this conference might be delayed. Certainly planned finances will be cut back. Be grand if it was postponed by a season and let Dundalk climb back to the top of the heap

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    It could well be delayed alright - though be careful what you wish for. At the moment, the LoI is on course to start in the EL preliminary round in 2021/22. So the new Europa Conference would at least avoid that embarrassment for us

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345