Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Games w/e 6 Sept

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    That is because the aforementioned teams would have concentrated on kicking the ball, the things is they didn't let up fouling when the yellows started to mount, instead they doubled down on it.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redarmyfaction View Post
    It was obvious from about 15 minutes in that Harps wouldn't finish with 11 on the pitch and then Horgan starts to try and referee it himself. Big questions need to asked about him as the suspensions picked up tonight could lead to the clubs deserved relegation.
    They've been that way for years. Not going to change now. Gas thing is how Harps fans seem to blame the ref each time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    We have a real gem of a player in Niall Morahan

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    They've been that way for years. Not going to change now. Gas thing is how Harps fans seem to blame the ref each time.
    Are you still crying about big bold Harps!!Haha! Derby match tonight, no bad tackles of any note. I'll be the first to admit it if there are. Our discipline has been very good this season in fact. Plenty of niggly fouls tonight which we haven't been doing this season eventually ended in bookings. My main gripes where that Junior ran into Coyle, didn't see how it could be a booking. Clear foul for Sligo's second goal also. The 3rd goal and Sadiki's sending off I think was fair enough. Just have no idea why it took so long. Pity all in all as we played well. Ollie's sending off again inexcusable though. If there was any complaining to do then he should have gotten someone else to do it!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Hmm. Lots of people criticising Harps, but you pick my post out. I wonder why that is?

Harps under Horgan are a nasty little side. Let's just accept it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thebronze14 View Post
    Are you still crying about big bold Harps!!Haha! Derby match tonight, no bad tackles of any note. I'll be the first to admit it if there are. Our discipline has been very good this season in fact. Plenty of niggly fouls tonight which we haven't been doing this season eventually ended in bookings. My main gripes where that Junior ran into Coyle, didn't see how it could be a booking. Clear foul for Sligo's second goal also. The 3rd goal and Sadiki's sending off I think was fair enough. Just have no idea why it took so long. Pity all in all as we played well. Ollie's sending off again inexcusable though. If there was any complaining to do then he should have gotten someone else to do it!
    Coyle should have been booked twice before he picked up his first actual booking, one for a free kick outside the box he gave away after 7 or 8 minutes and a second free a late challenge on Junior after about 20.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thebronze14 View Post
    This is very true. Harps were very good and shot themselves in the foot. Devers at the end of the first half and Junior early in the second half could have had penalties also. Ollie has done a great job but constantly getting himself sent from the line is no use to anyone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lilywhites View Post
    Harps play like thugs and then cry over cards being dished out. Horgan sent off again, what's new!

Their tweets tonight were very bitter too. Bad losers.
    Stephen...
    I need some players...
    STEPHEN

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Bitter pill to swallow having played well and looked like pushing on at 1-1.

Sadiki wasn't sent off for the penalty decision either. He was sent off after arguing with a Sligo player..which I can't understand.

It wasn't a dirty game, there wasn't a bad foul in it. Harvey has history with Harps and he was trigger happy with his cards again tonight.

Quite a number of similar fouls by Sligo players not cautioned by him.

Would fancy Junior to make an Olympic diving squad too.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lilywhites View Post
    No idea about other games but we beat them on 23 September last year, I'm sure you remember that game, so you pulled your stat out of nowhere.

It's a strange year obviously but Rovers will be the worst champions here in over 20 years. They're so poor for a team with some of the quality players they have.
    I've been on this board for ten years and pretty sure every new league winner has been declared the worst ever. I'd be fairly confident Kenny's Dundalk probably were the year they won it first.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    Harps just kicked everything moving but then the 2 reds were harsh enough I thought. Crazy tackle for the penalty.

Really enjoyable game I thought
    The one for the penalty was silly but, to be fair, I think he was close to the ball (he just took the Sligo player down first). I assume he was sent off for mouthing off because the tackle was never a yellow. First red was never a second yellow either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    The one for the penalty was silly but, to be fair, I think he was close to the ball (he just took the Sligo player down first). I assume he was sent off for mouthing off because the tackle was never a yellow. First red was never a second yellow either.
    You are right the first red was not a second yellow it was a fifth. Boyle is a decent enough CB but absolutely filthy. I believe he does be at the garlic football, let him go back there.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts
    Wouldn't mind seeing the stats on Rovers / Harps game, especially the foul stats. Id tend to agree that it wasn't a dirty game but persistent fouling gets you yellow cards too.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    I've been on this board for ten years and pretty sure every new league winner has been declared the worst ever. I'd be fairly confident Kenny's Dundalk probably were the year they won it first.
    Not sure I would agree with that, but the 1994/95 League win by Dundalk was up there for that argument. We were in 3rd spot on the final day, and won it by a point. I wouldn't say there was much style about that team, dogged would be a better word, we had two good wingers, the best player in Brian Byrne and also Joe Hanrahan on the other wing, but Byrne also played up front ! We ended up with at least 3 different main striker options, one being a GAA player, and changed keeper half way through campaign, and lost 8 games I think from 33, but only one after xmas.

It was of course brilliant to win it, esp listening to last few mins of the Athlone v Derry game played over the PA in oriel park, 1-1 draw, but I would have said 3rd spot would have befitted that season's efforts, but we did get the most points although no players made it on the league team of the year, that was hillarious.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    There are good and bad champions but any club who achieves anything this year is worthy of it. That goes for the eventual champions and every team who manages to stay alive/qualify for Europe etc.

For Rovers, it's tough to take. I felt we were catching Dundalk on the field last year and just needed to add numbers to the squad as our worst spell came after red cards and injuries last season ruined our blistering start. Obviously it culminated in a great cup win against the champions and one of the best teams in league history. I think we were the better team that day and deserved it. We'd been the better team against Dundalk before but they'd always found a way to win. That was a Dundalk side who were chasing a treble with the Manager of the Year and with no outward signs of the madness to come. So it was a good Rovers side that started this season with expectations to really challenge Dundalk for the title. We started brilliantly..... and then all hell broke loose. It's still the same team, but the league has changed so much. Dundalk have imploded beyond belief, Bohs have gotten better while also dropping their two of their best players from last season in Talbot and Mandroiu, Sligo went from trying to have the league shut down to trying to win it and Alan Reynolds went from manager of Waterford to one of 4 coaches at Dundalk to unemployed. And John Sheridan arrived just to add that sense of calm and community we all need in these times.....

Regardless, you have a situation now where every point matters. Shels and Pats played for a draw against us halfway through the season. They are two teams who had designs on Europe and they parked the bus.....Every game is tough. It's a completely different animal and whoever comes out on top will have done well. There will still be an asterisk....but I'll be happy to claim it if we hold on. Plenty more upsets and dropped points on the way though and I wouldn't be shocked if Bohs get there. If we can't figure out a way to break down the bus and teams tend to be more open against Bohs you could easily see them picking up more 3s while we struggle along with 1s. Or Sligo will romp to a double.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Fair play to the FAI's youtube channel for doing a highlights package of the Sligo/Harps game and leaving out the most important incident!
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

18. Thanks From:

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Not sure I would agree with that, but the 1994/95 League win by Dundalk was up there for that argument. We were in 3rd spot on the final day, and won it by a point. I wouldn't say there was much style about that team, dogged would be a better word, we had two good wingers, the best player in Brian Byrne and also Joe Hanrahan on the other wing, but Byrne also played up front ! We ended up with at least 3 different main striker options, one being a GAA player, and changed keeper half way through campaign, and lost 8 games I think from 33, but only one after xmas.

It was of course brilliant to win it, esp listening to last few mins of the Athlone v Derry game played over the PA in oriel park, 1-1 draw, but I would have said 3rd spot would have befitted that season's efforts, but we did get the most points although no players made it on the league team of the year, that was hillarious.
    Yeah that season was summed when ex Longford town player Stephen Kelly was Dundalks top scorer with 9!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    10 years? Scarily more like 18 years CD even when lurking in the shadows with Dundalk in the 1st Division every champion has been the worst ever. From Shels to Derry, Cork to Drogheda, Rovers just in general and Dundalk - most overated side ever!!

21. Thanks From:

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    There are good and bad champions but any club who achieves anything this year is worthy of it. That goes for the eventual champions and every team who manages to stay alive/qualify for Europe etc.

For Rovers, it's tough to take. I felt we were catching Dundalk on the field last year and just needed to add numbers to the squad as our worst spell came after red cards and injuries last season ruined our blistering start. Obviously it culminated in a great cup win against the champions and one of the best teams in league history. I think we were the better team that day and deserved it. We'd been the better team against Dundalk before but they'd always found a way to win. That was a Dundalk side who were chasing a treble with the Manager of the Year and with no outward signs of the madness to come. So it was a good Rovers side that started this season with expectations to really challenge Dundalk for the title. We started brilliantly..... and then all hell broke loose. It's still the same team, but the league has changed so much. Dundalk have imploded beyond belief, Bohs have gotten better while also dropping their two of their best players from last season in Talbot and Mandroiu, Sligo went from trying to have the league shut down to trying to win it and Alan Reynolds went from manager of Waterford to one of 4 coaches at Dundalk to unemployed. And John Sheridan arrived just to add that sense of calm and community we all need in these times.....

Regardless, you have a situation now where every point matters. Shels and Pats played for a draw against us halfway through the season. They are two teams who had designs on Europe and they parked the bus.....Every game is tough. It's a completely different animal and whoever comes out on top will have done well. There will still be an asterisk....but I'll be happy to claim it if we hold on. Plenty more upsets and dropped points on the way though and I wouldn't be shocked if Bohs get there. If we can't figure out a way to break down the bus and teams tend to be more open against Bohs you could easily see them picking up more 3s while we struggle along with 1s. Or Sligo will romp to a double.
    All very fair comment and analysis of the current position. I also agree with Oriel that the 1994/95 Dundalk champions team were somewhat underwhelming in the pantheon of league winning greats!

Although Rovers are obviously strong favourites to finish the league as champions, I'm far from convinced that the quality of the team performances even remotely justifies some of the bombast and braggadocio here.

I think that Rovers have recruited well over the last few seasons and have built on a fairly ordinary squad that Bradley first worked with. Bradley also seems to have matured somewhat as a person and a coach and presumably is the prime mover in changing from ball-in-the-air kick em hard style to something much more effective.

The good fortune in getting the benefit of a witless referee against Bohs - Rovers could easily have inexplicably lost that match - underlines the gaps are not as wide as some perceive. Dundalk's implosion could be temporary, or more long lasting, but either way have eased the pressure significantly on a side who may well jog to the title at the end of the shortened season.

For Dundalk, consolidation in the upper end of the table is clearly the ambition. Qualify for Europa League for 2021, get past Inter and have a crack off Sheriff, hopefully take home another FAI Cup trophy & a solid to radical rebuild of the squad for next season. Despite the alternative universe type of madcap stuff at Oriel Parl in recent times, most of the above is realistic and attainable

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post

Ha well I'm sure there is a legitimate 'worst ever' league winner there but it seems to come up quite often. Sligo fans were very fond of declaring everyone who won the title except them to be terrible (until they turned ****e and most of the posters disappeared into a black hole).

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast