Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Games w/e 6 Sept

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    I can't disagree with a lot of what u say Nesta. Probably harsh to say rovers could have dominated after the group stages last time as the EL was very much smaller even only 5 years earlier. I think rovers only got 1 million odd compared to dundalks 6 odd as uefa were trying to encourage the bigger clubs to treat the comp seriously.
    As regards dundalk qualifying for the group stage, with any kind of luck and keeping green lists etc into account it is a very realistic possibility. Linfield are playing the faroe side that got a walk over and should be in the draw for the 3rd round. The champions path is the only realistic route to group stages. As regards the league 5 points clear with 8 games to go is nothing , I'd rather be ahead then behind but one loss and it's wide open.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    I know. Its great isn't it!!

Meanwhile dundalk have taken the most advantageous financial situation in LOI history and managed to completely obliterate itself whilst simultaneously prostituting itself to some gruuby yank who desires a small plaything.
    You better dig out the buckets and the bedsheets
    Meanwhile Rovers and Bohs will flourish in your absence.
    ffs and we have been the bastions of financial propriety, be nice.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lilywhites View Post
    No idea about other games but we beat them on 23 September last year, I'm sure you remember that game, so you pulled your stat out of nowhere.

It's a strange year obviously but Rovers will be the worst champions here in over 20 years. They're so poor for a team with some of the quality players they have.
    Hook this bitterness up to my veins please! I like my cornflakes with extra salt!

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    I chuckled when I heard that stat on eir sport yesterday about Rovers being unbeaten in almost a year. While it may be factually correct, they omitted to mention that with the off season and the covid shutdown there was no football for almost 8 months!
    Anyway, if Rovers go on to win the league, they’ll deserve it. Dundalk can only blame ourselves for our self inflicted implosion.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    I chuckled when I heard that stat on eir sport yesterday about Rovers being unbeaten in almost a year. While it may be factually correct, they omitted to mention that with the off season and the covid shutdown there was no football for almost 8 months!
    Yet no one else could manage it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Very dissapointing start to Stephen kennys Ireland. Do ubley so as I am convinced that with the talent we have coming through over the next few years and the football Kenny likes to play we could do well. The loi haters and barstoolers will be out in force soon .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    They're already out in force, so much so that there's probably huge pressure already on the Slovakia game, given some of the reaction to the 2 games so far.

Really, it might have been better for Kenny if McCarthy had had the Slovakia/playoff games, but this situation couldn't really be avoided.

If Ireland don't want him we'll take him back please.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    I can't disagree with a lot of what u say Nesta. Probably harsh to say rovers could have dominated after the group stages last time as the EL was very much smaller even only 5 years earlier. I think rovers only got 1 million odd compared to dundalks 6 odd as uefa were trying to encourage the bigger clubs to treat the comp seriously.
    As regards dundalk qualifying for the group stage, with any kind of luck and keeping green lists etc into account it is a very realistic possibility. Linfield are playing the faroe side that got a walk over and should be in the draw for the 3rd round. The champions path is the only realistic route to group stages. As regards the league 5 points clear with 8 games to go is nothing , I'd rather be ahead then behind but one loss and it's wide open.
    Ahh I was being narky as PC cut a bit close to the bone. Its a fair point that the money of EL rose massively but in 2010 what Rovers achieved was generally considered (and bemoaned) a game changer and should dominate LoI after. What happened was a turnover of managers, the cost of paying for that eroding the cash reserve, and the club ended up with financial losses. Those losses had to be covered and were by a wealthy Rovers fans but not without any cost. Some luck involved and that there was a fan ownership that would probably prevent something terminal with finances. Its not a safety net that we have at Dundalk if the proverbial hits as we dont currently have either supporter involvement on the board or a supporters club/trust ready to fight the good fight. I think that is poor by Dundalk fans in not being ready (as per 2012) if things nosedive.

In saying that we could well have Peak6 spend and continue to spend going forward. There is currently no change in their committment to the club from day 1, lots of speculation and reading between the lines and indeed plenty of people with 'told ye so' on the tip of the tongue.

I dont think we will get to the EL groups this year, another year we'd be verging on expecting it with the draw. Inter is no gimme but at the same time the club will be in the ball park of 1mil for being rubbish in Europe. It could further whet the appetite of owners as one win changes a whole lot.

I can appreciate how fan owned involvement is held in such importance at Rovers and Cork as best examples. Diluted or not with private investors there is an influence! By the seat of the pants supporting Dundalk but certainly not dull .....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Anyway, if Rovers go on to win the league, they’ll deserve it. Dundalk can only blame ourselves for our self inflicted implosion.
    The joys of ESPN coverage was Kenny never managing outside the RoI - would have bugged even Derry fans Co commentator saying a team should play to its strengths and for Ireland that is physical, long ball. Even suggested that Duffy should be moved up top with 5 to go. SK is on a hiding to nothing and has a target on his back after 180mins and 3 or 4 days training. For trying to break with British style footy we can be very British as supporters and media these days!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Ahh I was being narky as PC cut a bit close to the bone. Its a fair point that the money of EL rose massively but in 2010 what Rovers achieved was generally considered (and bemoaned) a game changer and should dominate LoI after. What happened was a turnover of managers, the cost of paying for that eroding the cash reserve, and the club ended up with financial losses. Those losses had to be covered and were by a wealthy Rovers fans but not without any cost. Some luck involved and that there was a fan ownership that would probably prevent something terminal with finances. Its not a safety net that we have at Dundalk if the proverbial hits as we dont currently have either supporter involvement on the board or a supporters club/trust ready to fight the good fight. I think that is poor by Dundalk fans in not being ready (as per 2012) if things nosedive.

In saying that we could well have Peak6 spend and continue to spend going forward. There is currently no change in their committment to the club from day 1, lots of speculation and reading between the lines and indeed plenty of people with 'told ye so' on the tip of the tongue.

I dont think we will get to the EL groups this year, another year we'd be verging on expecting it with the draw. Inter is no gimme but at the same time the club will be in the ball park of 1mil for being rubbish in Europe. It could further whet the appetite of owners as one win changes a whole lot.

I can appreciate how fan owned involvement is held in such importance at Rovers and Cork as best examples. Diluted or not with private investors there is an influence! By the seat of the pants supporting Dundalk but certainly not dull .....
    Are Peak 6 actually spending any money or just dipping into the reserves from the Europa League pot of gold?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts

Would that not be one of the main concerns tho. When you say 1 million, of course thats an awful lot of money (sure top to bottom to run the Showgrounds is about 1.2m). In LOI terms its big money money, but when you are 'chasing Europa League' success ... thats small change. Especially when you are losing money hand over fist every season.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Again its hard to argue against that observation. Hopefully its enough to keep interest in that even a poor campaign nets circa 1mil. That could still increase with an Andoran side up next. The minimum required money each year to satisfy Peak6 has been long discussed by Dundalk fans but is all speculation. I still think Peak6 will roll the dice again with a new influx of players from outside the league and probably a new permanent coaching team also. If things still fall flat after a couple of attempts at cracking Europe, imo then the plug will be pulled.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Again its hard to argue against that observation. Hopefully its enough to keep interest in that even a poor campaign nets circa 1mil. That could still increase with an Andoran side up next. The minimum required money each year to satisfy Peak6 has been long discussed by Dundalk fans but is all speculation. I still think Peak6 will roll the dice again with a new influx of players from outside the league and probably a new permanent coaching team also. If things still fall flat after a couple of attempts at cracking Europe, imo then the plug will be pulled.
    If ye can find suitable replacements that are clearly better than Gartland and Rogers during the off-season, there might be half a chance of a successful Euro campaign.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    A cynical Finn Harps try to kick themselves off the bottom of the table, faiingl in the attempt picking up 10 yellows including 2 for Horgan and finish with 9 men.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Rob Harvey

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Jesus wept!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Harps just kicked everything moving but then the 2 reds were harsh enough I thought. Crazy tackle for the penalty.

Really enjoyable game I thought

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    Harps play like thugs and then cry over cards being dished out. Horgan sent off again, what's new!

Their tweets tonight were very bitter too. Bad losers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    It was obvious from about 15 minutes in that Harps wouldn't finish with 11 on the pitch and then Horgan starts to try and referee it himself. Big questions need to asked about him as the suspensions picked up tonight could lead to the clubs deserved relegation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    I think some of the refs start off with that attitude towards harps and are quick with the cards compared to some other teams. Give a dog a bad name as such. Guarantee if that had been either dundalk or rovers card count would be different.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast