Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Finland - Sunday, September 6th - 2020 - UEFA Nations League

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Only thing I'm confused about is this. Perhaps it's football slang I'm not aware of "Que no corre al tipo de su espalda" . What is this?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Slovakia drew 1-1 tonight with Isreal.. and got turned over at home at the weekend by a Czech team, who got beat tonight by Scotland.

They are no great shakes, no more than we are.. people here talking about getting turned over by the North.. who just took a drubbing 1-5 at home to the footballing powerhouse that is .. Norway

Right now, until the NL became four team groups, we're a third tier side.. along with Slovakia and Northern Ireland, so once players have some games in their legs and a bit of fitness, we're at the very least a match for those two.

Bosnia, rightly are a second tier team.. but are they that far ahead of us? Hardly.

Qualifying will be difficult.. but not impossible. I am more worried to be honest about ensuring we stay in the B path for 2022, where we can have a right go at qualification for Germany in 2024.. being honest, how many of us are really gearing up to follow the team in Qatar in 2022?

Get 4 more NL games.. 2 qualifying games for Euro 2021.. hopefully qualify for that and get 3-4 games in next years tournament, plus 8-10 WC qualifiers. If we don't get to Euro 2021, maybe 2-3 friendlies against teams that do.

6 more NL games in late 2022, and 8-10 more Euro 2024 qualifying games..

By the time the Euros in 2024 come around.. Ireland will have played 32-40 games.. then judge the man and the team

3. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Finn's aren't Vikings. Or scanadavian for that matter.
    Thank you for this insight. I thought they were tatars from the Volga,
    It doesnt matter, what matters is the errors made by 6 of our players in the lead-up to the 0-1

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Only thing I'm confused about is this. Perhaps it's football slang I'm not aware of "Que no corre al tipo de su espalda" . What is this?
    yes its football slang.

Doherty tried to play the finn in an off side position so he was further on the pitch, so the finn was behind Doherty, when the pass came from Puuki between doherty and Duffy's position, Doherty turned around and there was that finn left forward behind his position going through with the ball, he didnt try to chase him, he was perplexed.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Finn's aren't Vikings. Or scanadavian for that matter.
    What about Finn McCool and the other Irish Finns ?

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insidetherock View Post
    Slovakia drew 1-1 tonight with Isreal.. and got turned over at home at the weekend by a Czech team, who got beat tonight by Scotland.

They are no great shakes, no more than we are.. people here talking about getting turned over by the North.. who just took a drubbing 1-5 at home to the footballing powerhouse that is .. Norway
    to put a bit of perspective on it..... the czechs had to use an entirely home based team and manager due to covid concerns.
    i only saw highlights but slovakia looked decent but wilted at the end due to the heat. israel hit the post in injury time.

norway were very good against the North and had the added bonus of having Haaland up front. his two goals were absolute belters

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    True, NI v Norway is probably a close match without Haaland. I suspect he'd have done significant damage to us too over the past week. Was pretty cool he asked his one of his heroes Stuart Dallas to swap jerseys at full time.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    I genuinely believe that we’re going through a cultural reset. Kenny is the first manager I can recall talking about building something resembling a philosophy of play, of breaking from the English game and creating an Irish brand of play.
    Repeating some sound bites you heard on a Kenny interview? This Irish style sound byte, if you thought about it, actually doesn't mean anything. Its nothing more than a slogan. Do Denmark or Wales have a Danish or Welsh style of play? Did Finland have a specific Finnish style of play when they beat us the other night? England don't even have an English style of play anymore.

There's been no such thing in international football for about 30 years since players began to move in large numbers from their domestic leagues to the richer European leagues. English clubs and therefore their players, play various different styles depending on the managers preference, the opposition and the personnel available to them. They don't play an English style and haven't for years.

What do you mean? Are you talking about passing the ball more? How is that an Irish style? Are we going to play that way against all opposition? The same style for Brazil away and Gibraltar at home? It means nothing but hey, keep believing and Let's Make America Great Again.
    Last edited by youngirish; 08/09/2020 at 10:41 AM.

11. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I think there are roughly two styles of play in international football. How Ireland currently plays (and has done since Trap), and how the rest of the world plays. The two are quite far apart at the moment. The Austrian commentary for one of our goals in our 2—2 draw a few years ago was funny (or not funny). One of our full backs hoofed it up the channel, and Walters or Long chased after it like a mad thing, and it ultimately somehow led to a goal. The hoof passage of play was described in real time “Ireland, mit kick and rush….”! When I watch virtually any other NL game at any level (League A down to League D) I don’t see any other team as inept in the basics as we are at times.

There are variations in how the RoW plays, but almost universally, from France down to the minnows, teams and players are quite good on the ball and have some defensive discipline and keep a good shape. Georgia outplayed us. Gibraltar kept us at bay easily enough.

I don’t think we were particularly primitive pre-Trap. We mixed good footy with Charlton era directness and it was generally successful. To Stan’s credit, he didn’t mistrust players who could use the ball well. Other managers did.

13. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I think there are roughly two styles of play in international football. How Ireland currently plays (and has done since Trap), and how the rest of the world plays. The two are quite far apart at the moment. The Austrian commentary for one of our goals in our 2—2 draw a few years ago was funny (or not funny). One of our full backs hoofed it up the channel, and Walters or Long chased after it like a mad thing, and it ultimately somehow led to a goal. The hoof passage of play was described in real time “Ireland, mit kick and rush….”! When I watch virtually any other NL game at any level (League A down to League D) I don’t see any other team as inept in the basics as we are at times.

There are variations in how the RoW plays, but almost universally, from France down to the minnows, teams and players are quite good on the ball and have some defensive discipline and keep a good shape. Georgia outplayed us. Gibraltar kept us at bay easily enough.

I don’t think we were particularly primitive pre-Trap. We mixed good footy with Charlton era directness and it was generally successful. To Stan’s credit, he didn’t mistrust players who could use the ball well. Other managers did.
    Charlton did plenty of Kick and Rush but with better players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    U hit the nail on the head" I dont see us winning in Bratislava " I think we could via penos but that's it

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    Repeating some sound bites you heard on a Kenny interview? This Irish style sound byte, if you thought about it, actually doesn't mean anything. Its nothing more than a slogan. Do Denmark or Wales have a Danish or Welsh style of play? Did Finland have a specific Finnish style of play when they beat us the other night? England don't even have an English style of play anymore.

There's been no such thing in international football for about 30 years since players began to move in large numbers from their domestic leagues to the richer European leagues. English clubs and therefore their players, play various different styles depending on the managers preference, the opposition and the personnel available to them. They don't play an English style and haven't for years.

What do you mean? Are you talking about passing the ball more? How is that an Irish style? Are we going to play that way against all opposition? The same style for Brazil away and Gibraltar at home? It means nothing but hey, keep believing and Let's Make America Great Again.
    Contemptible, conflating claptrap.

Why are you so angry all the time?
    Last edited by Eminence Grise; 08/09/2020 at 7:27 PM.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Total claptrap indeed. It's "Keep America Great" now.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Too lazy to go back over the thread(s) but I think it was Diggs who said 433 will never work while we have two “traditional” CBs rather than ball playing CBs. This ties in with my own point that at times the gaps between our own three lines was just massive. Kingdom likes to make the point that often this is because Randolph’s positioning - even when we are in possession - is quite deep, which draws at least one CB back towards him.

When I watch other good teams play, and regardless of whether it’s 433 or anything else, the outfield 10 are generally compact and move up and down the pitch as a unit. At the famous home game vs Germany I watched Germany’s back 4 and at times they were stationed in a line more than 10m into our half. As a team they sensed danger together and put on pressure together. Of course they then got undone by a long hoof over their heads!

But that’s what I want to see from us. I’ve seen our underage teams do it. The senior team doesn’t do it yet. And I think there’s something in the “ball playing CB” theory that explains why we don’t / can’t do it.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 09/09/2020 at 12:12 PM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Too lazy to go back over the thread(s) but I think it was Diggs who said 433 will never work while we have two “traditional” CBs rather than ball playing CBs. This ties in with my own point that at times the gaps between our own three lines was just massive. Kingdom likes to make the point that often this is because Randolph’s positioning - even when we are in possession - is quite deep, which draws at least one CB back towards him.

When I watch other good teams play, and regardless of whether it’s 433 or anything else, the outfield 10 are generally compact and move up and down the pitch as a unit. At the famous home game vs Germany I watched Germany’s back 4 and at times they were stationed in a line more than 10m into our half. As a team they sensed danger together and put on pressure together. Of course they then got undone by a long hoof over their heads!

But that’s what I want to see from us. I’ve seen our underage teams do it. The senior team doesn’t do it yet. And I think there’s something in the “ball playing CB” theory that explains why we don’t / can’t do it.
    that is why i say lets try a back 3. England played a back 3. with Coady.

Yesterday Croatia was the best team, played grass football were winning and got defeated by a guy who wasnt muscular at all, wasnt fast or strong, it is a street player, also looked out of shape...ben yedder but won it for France with football brain. A lovely pass to the left backbdraw the game, and trick the croatian left back in a one -two and assisted the second.

what i mean what is good brand of football? tiki taka? yesterday croatia were playing tiki taka...and France looked very, pedestrian and ordinary the center backs specially the Upamecano lad was shaky. midfielders incoherent yet the game was unlocked by a guy with football brain.

Ireland needs intelligent football brain players, street wise players as we had in the past with Brady, the two Keanes, duff, tony galvin and hoolahan

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Tony Galvin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    That was me. So why are Sheffield United spending 11 million on Bogle and Lowe? So they can sit on the bench? Stevens is another very average player. 1 good part of a season in the Premiership at 30 (he was poor after the restart) and the rest of his career in the lower divisions. He couldn't even establish himself in a terrible Aston Villa side.
    Stevens, by your estimation, has had one good half season in the Premier League.

Isn't that more than Lowe, who has played all of his career in lower leagues? One good half a season in the Championship last year?
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Yer spot on! But purely from watching SK in LoI he does not waiver away from his ummm philosophy. He will rarely if ever decide to go 442 or say go long ball. His teams play the same fron minute 1 to 90+ and often to good effect. Late goals are a feature of his sides, this seemed to be that playing a possession game and forcing opposition to press, eventually they broke rank in frustration or tired. This would be an area maybe that at international level discipline and fitness is top notch. But we have been on the recieving end (France Euro 16) where we were out of puff by 60 mins.
    From a Rovers perspective, I remember one game three or four years ago in Tallaght where Kenny brought on Kilduff to play alongside McMillan for the last 20 minutes. Was absolutely delighted because I knew it meant he'd abadoned plan A and we'd win the game (which didn't happen often).

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    I liked the 3-4-3 formation England played against Denmark. It probably made them defensively too solid and it was a dour game as a result. But it is a formation that could suit us. You could effectively fix this problem of O'Dowda (or his replacement) and Connolly almost getting in the way of Stevens and Doherty because they would be forced to play a little narrower. And we wouldn't be picking 3 midfielders in a flat bank of 3 like appeared to be the case versus Finland.

Coleman Duffy Egan
    Doherty Hendrick McCarthy Stevebs
    Brady Connolly
    McGoldrick

Pie in the sky stuff probably and much of the chat about 3-5-2 is. Just something I thought could work for us.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast