Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: "Murphy says league is sub-standard"

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"Murphy says league is sub-standard"

Read what the Cork City boss is saying about the eL...."Murphy says league is sub-standard" because of the 10 team league

You can see his interview on www.sports.com

http://www.sports.com/irl/football/n...k1OTExODk.html

I for one have to agree with him.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    What exactly are you trying get at Gheewizz, Longford voted for it and nothing will change that...

I also believe that if Longford don't hold their nerve and get thru this, we deserve to be in Division 1. It seems like our only arguement is the Dublin District League etc. etc. Would it be ok if it was the Dublin and District league including Longford.

I'm against it, but I have to see what the pros of a 10 team league are. I'm willing to see what happens. It is my opinion that crowds won't increase and we'll be back to twelve teams shortly. Hopefully this might prove to be a one season mistake....

The Cork lads view this as Liam Murphy looking for excuses for Corks poor showing. He loves the media and will spout sh!te as long as they print it.

If you look at what he's saying... Basically teams shut-up shop etc etc because over half the table need points to stay away from relegation... and this is costing Cork points.... Basically he blames the ten team league for corks league place... he looking for excuses
    Last edited by Xlex; 13/03/2002 at 4:05 PM.
    Reporter: "Gordan, can we have a quick word?"
    Strachan:"Velocity"

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

xlex thats bull!!

xlex thats bull!! I've always said that the 10 team league is a bad idea..Even when we bet Cork I was still saying that...ask the lads. Even if it is reverted back to a 12 team league LTFC still could go down..so I'm not saying that just because we could go down.

The league has suffered from 3 going down & possible 4. At this moment in time, 2 teams are gone...with 3 games left 5 teams (not including Dundalk) mathematically could finish in the playoff spot (we know its either us or Dundalk) & out of them 5 , 2 could take Dundalk' spot,so only the top 4 are safe. This time last year only the bottom 4 were not safe. If only the 2 bottom went down & 3rd played off then the top 7 would be safe which makes more sense.

Plus, the Dublin clubs said publicly that they did not want to travel down to the country clubs every second week. BTW if LTFC go down it's because of the internal fighting & rowing that the players had for the first 10 weeks of the league,Thankfully they all have sorted the their problems. Also Kenny has to take some of the blame for leaving us.

I know LTFC voted for it...The club had no right to do that without considering the fans. The club should have asked the members of the club which way they wanted to vote. But apparently the FAI said that they would give money to the clubs if the 10 team league was passed & now they are not going to give any money (cause the FAI have none & the little they have is going towards the world cup)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

two states, man

is there any particular reason for this stuff being posted on both forums? (i.e. ltfc forum and here).
    "I don’t want to tempt fate, but Thierry Henry is not having one of his best nights." - RTE co-commentator Jim Beglin, minutes before TH struck the stunning winner.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok....

I wasn't getting at you, about Longfords position, but I hate the way a large amount of town supporters hate the 10 team league and have fickle excuses like Dublin clubs want this. I was talking to one particular Dublin LTFC supporter who was going mental about Longford getting relegated because of something Dublin clubs wanted, and I just turned around and said Longford voted for it and he went green....

As for Dublin clubs not wanting to travel down the country every two weeks so be it, but its not as if they ever had to anyway. There big ****es alright but if the country clubs had voted 'No' it would be fine... This is definately not a Dublin V's the Country thing... even though it reflect that in the League.

This money thing doesn't hold any credit with me. The FAI don't give a moneys fart about this league and the LTFC especially should take any promise of cash from them with a large Vodka.;

The internal fighting was a disgrace, that and ill-disipiline have us where we are, and Stephen Kenny has to hold his hand up on this one, Martin Lawlor will be successful at the LTFC.

The thing I had against your post was that you quoted Murphy and didn't really comment. You may have liked what he said, but it was only to deflect Corks bad season, he was looking at it from the other prospective... and at the end of the day Cork probably voted for it....

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All but one voted for it

The only club that I am aware of that didn't vote for the 10 team league was St. Pat's.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I thought Bray was against it also, but its enough weight to say no to a 10 team league

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Re: two states, man

Originally posted by Magoo
    is there any particular reason for this stuff being posted on both forums? (i.e. ltfc forum and here).
    This is the Longford Town section ..... what is wrong with posting it here.??
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Lightbulb

I don't know id this is a longford only discussion but here goes anyway.....

1. I have never heard any dublin club say they didn't want to travel down to the "country" every 2 weeks. Where are you getting this from???

2. There are more "country" clubs than dub clubs so no use clubs (as opposed to supporters) moaing for something they voted for.

3. I don't see how the FAi come into this as it was the 22 EL clubs that voted for this. The FAI run the FAI Cup & the EL runs its own league.

4. Whether people like watching the same teams more often or not does not take away from the fact that aberage attendances can only rise in the Premier league as essentally replacing a home game versus Galway or Monaghan with Rovers or Bohs.

5. I don't like to see so many dub teams in the 10 team league but the best teams get promoted & most supporters moaning about are in lower half of the 1st division. Century Homes Park is an embarishment to the eL Premier & contrasted with Flancare enforces the amateur image of the league.

btw Longford Town are an example of a small club getting its act together on & off the pitch & reaping the rewards. Contrast this with a club like Limerick with a much higher potential fan base.

ASs long as the league looks to vasty improve the Premier division standard & looking towards medium term ambition of adding another 2 sides once 1st division has time to get its act together things can only improvement.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The addition of at least one extra 'Premier' division club will increase the competition in what seems like a a very competitive 1st division this year, the clubs coming up should be that bit stronger next year.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rovers & $hel$ were the 2 clubs clubs (i know its only 2 dublin clubs) but still they did say that.

The only way the eL can improve is by improving underage structure & by keeping them in Ireland instead of sending them to England at 16. Longford are trying to change this with the example of Gary Cassin.

The eL are under the FAI

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by gheewhizz
    Longford are trying to change this with the example of Gary Cassin.
    Gary Cassin went to England on trial with Man City

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Rovers & $hel$ were the 2 clubs clubs (i know its only 2 dublin clubs) but still they did say that.
    Wasn't aware of Rovers view on but yes it is a well known fact $hel$ were very keen on the 10 team division. $hel$ want more dublin derbys as obviously they get more away fans to make up for their pitiful home support.

For CCFC if we getting dublin teams every other week can easily command 2-3k attendances & would ouble if going for the tiltle. No matter what we doing in the league be hard to get 2k versus Monaghan.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by Xlex

Gary Cassin went to England on trial with Man City
    At the time Gary was not with Longford Town, he was playing with a underage club in Dublin...He was going to go to England this summer for a trial until the club offered him a contract from when he turns 17...In Ireland Xlex, A club can not offer a contract to any person under 17 in England they can & this is were Irish clubs are losing out!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The FAI/eL have decided to pay the development money to the 12 clubs that are in the 1st Div next year. They are giving 50k...the only problem is that the 50k is between all the 12 clubs...Thats just under 4200 & that would not pay a weeks wages. How the FAI/eL can call this development money is any one's guest.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    the only problem is that the 50k is between all the 12 clubs...
    what a load of bo!!ocks! They might as well send them a voucher for HMV or something. Thats an insult. Where's bertie's 14million quid gone?! Hyland's backpocket?! Stupid fcukin FAI fools

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thumbs up

I don't know what this 50k is but i have to agree with the approach the FAI are taking with spending the government grants to the FAI. I'm sure a lot of money has been watsted over the years but investing in regional coaching centres will be good for all levels for irish football & not just the eL.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by pete
    I don't know what this 50k is.....
    As I said earlier in this thread, the FAI said they would give money to the 12 teams in next season 1st div towards development if the clubs passed the 10 team league...50k between 12 teams whom most have no money...As I said earlier that this money would not pay a weeks wages how could this be called "DEVELOPMENT MONEY"

Two years ago the FAI gave LTFC IR£70k(originally promised IR£150k) towards their development which ment LTFC had to raise more money to do just the 1st team pitch & 1/4 of the main stand. LTFC could not implement their plans to have an all weather training pitch & an all weather second pitch for the youths. In order for LTFC to be able to play their Europe game in FLANCARE they had to raise the money themselves including a government grant (IR£150), & yet the FAI gave ROVERS IR£250k for their project, which is partly a private venture & only involves first team facilities.