Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Perth sacked

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Read the piece in the indo about dundalk. The owner is crackers,by the sounds of it.
    Where to now for dundalk?
    Nothing in it that wasn't out there already. Was expecting a bit more from McDonnell the way he was building it up.

Like how Perth was being told what players to play/not to play last year, by someone referenced in the article (not Bill). Or how our COO (a long time employee of the club, now 12 years) apparently tried to jump ship last year to a job in the GAA.

This has been brewing for a long time, not just over the last month.

I don't know where we go as a club from here but hopefully we can get a win today. Looking forward to actually watching a game of football, after all the nonsense of the past week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    There was always a fear that the setup at Dundalk would turn sour. But the fear was that Peak6 would eventually up sticks and leave us high and dry ala Arkaga. We certainly hoped that it wouldnt end up a similar situation as CCFC simply as P6 were in a different league financially than Arkaga.

But this is an entirely different sh1t show where the eccentric nature of one individual's interference has done a lot of damage. Whether there is a method to the madness time will tell. It does seem like an american sports franchise owner method being copied by someone who doesnt recognise the different culture in football here. That said certainly in Spain club presidents do often dictate to head coaches and hire and fire in a seemingly irrational manner.

For all the stories of phones in dugouts, suggestions on who takes corners and all the other madcap stuff, what is a real worry for me is the distancing of real stalwart volunteers like former licencing officer and former club secretary who in particular practically single handedly drove the club on from 2012 issues and in to this most successful period with tireless effort. Losing these really balanced and level headed people + club administrators is a key concern. They obviously feel they cant be associated with things currently - considering that questionable conduct from one of the CEOs made them step back before and this led to the exit of the then CEO and a lot of issues being sorted, its hard to see a similar amicable righting these problems under the chairman. Its a pity as I liked the way this chairman started off in challanging the FAI and was willing to play hardball with them. That's what he seemed to be good at, if only he had left the footballing side delegated to others.

I dont think things started off anywhere near seeing the club as a conduit for American players to get to Europe, that money could be made selling these players on. But something like this appears to be developing albeit the calibre of players being overestimated. The only hope currently is that the coaching team will turn out to be more effective than their experience would suggest. After that, that there is a plan to appoint a head coach and recruit players purely for a tilt in Europe as a last throw of the dice. It is also a big concern that there doesnt seem to be a move by supporters to start mobilising for a worst case scenario. 200 or so signed up early to Patreon - maybe a totally independent supporters club would have been wiser!
    Last edited by Nesta99; 30/08/2020 at 1:19 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Some more insight from Dan McDonnell on the situation at Dundalk. It's not typical LoI fare but it is certainly typical LoI in it's unnecessary complexity and tendency for self damaging an image of a club/league.

https://twitter.com/McDonnellDan/sta...10398175895552

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Any bloody wonder he struck up an accord with Hayden. Birds of a feather...

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrufil View Post
    Any bloody wonder he struck up an accord with Hayden. Birds of a feather...
    I didnt read this properly. Whos Hayden Scrufil?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Athlone Town Chairman/Owner

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCSIL View Post
    Athlone Town Chairman/Owner
    Are you referring to Dundalks owner striking an accord with Athlones owner?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    According to Dan McDonnell, while the Dundalk chairman isnt everyones cup of tea with other club officials and rattled a few cages during talks on recommencing the league he does seem to have built up a rapport with the Athlone chairman (one of the contentious american players signed by Dundalk going on loan to Athlone) and seemingly there is common ground with Gareth Kelleher also. The implication though is that other club officials got some insight in to how Bill Hulsizer works and may even have anticipated problems emerging at Oriel Park.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Strummer View Post
    They must be delusional if they thought they could justify hosting LOI games in the Aviva. What’s the max they would get every week even with neutrals 3 or 4 k.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    I would doubt that hosting Dundalk games would have been the primary focus. Funds generated by internationals, push to change the ownership model of the Aviva, a leg in the door to get at other FAI assets - they managed to keep very quiet that like every other moneybag people in LoI they had their eyes on land grabs and rezoning. While it its amusing (now that it hasnt happened) with United Park funding New Oriel but pure cheek!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    They must be delusional if they thought they could justify hosting LOI games in the Aviva. What’s the max they would get every week even with neutrals 3 or 4 k.
    Exactly. It reminds me of the time Limerick were playing out of Thomond. I think they got 3-4 k once. And that's half the capacity of the Aviva.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Had to do a double take when I read this piece. Wot was purpose of playing at the Aviva in 1st place and wot would happened to oriel?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    They could run as many buses and trains that they liked but very few Dundalk fans would have used them as a boycott would probably have happened. Apart from the US franchise ways; while in the US it was a bit of a surprise that I found people thought nothing of driving 100s of Km to places eg various game. Even among Dundalk family in LA they had adapted to the scale of things. It could be a full day thing, setting off in the morning 3-4 hours drive, tailgate drinks and food at the stadium, then the game, then home. It was worth the effort for me as a novelty but not that much that I was willing to do it regularly. Peak6 likely see an hour of travelling as no big deal and would wonder what the fuss was about. Its partly the reason I would have shown little patience myself with say Cork and issues with travelling support but there's a UK dimension in that for me too.

They would undoubtedly have looked to change the clubs name if they thought it would increase revenue but I dont think it was a plan like moving a franchise. More a 'cheap' provision of a world class stadium, while fixing the moaning about lack of facilities at Oriel. The opportunism is interesting and maybe some of their proposals could have been given more attention. If it didnt create a conflict of interest (pardon the pun) and if true that BoI provided a €28mil loan for collateral of €200mil in assets then the ability of Peak6 to access financial provision on better terms may have been beneficial. Id like to know where the 200mil was calculated on the value of grounds mentioned. With that sort of money money potential the the FAI should sell all, replace them for a lot less money, possibly improving on existing facilities and still have more than €100mil to play with. Off topic I know but its a very strange article for a number of reasons and was posted in this thread.

18. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Americans definitely have a different idea of a long drive than we do - what with their wide open spaces, dirt cheap petrol and a culture where the car is king and dominates the design of the country. When I lived in Long Island i was surprised by how people would gladly drive 2-3 hrs to a nightclub!

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    Americans definitely have a different idea of a long drive than we do - what with their wide open spaces, dirt cheap petrol and a culture where the car is king and dominates the design of the country. When I lived in Long Island i was surprised by how people would gladly drive 2-3 hrs to a nightclub!
    Found that strange myself , the local pub could over half an hour away in taxi and it seemed normal to them over there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    Found that strange myself , the local pub could over half an hour away in taxi and it seemed normal to them over there.
    and what seemed like a fair fare becomes expensive when the tip is included x 2 trips there and back. In LA there is damn all public transport at all, the roads are all day like the M50 during rush hours untill out of the city. Different way of life that didnt appeal to me at all with 30km work commutes taking about 2 hours each way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Park_Lane View Post
    Dundalk players must be buzzing. All will receive a club branded water bottle, football and a certificate at the end of the weeks training.
    And a game away from Europa League group stage bonuses.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Parker View Post
    Have I read the reports correctly that this guy doesn't hold a UEFA Pro Licence? Such issues may have been quietly swept away in the past by the FAI, but surely under the new whiter than white regime this will be a huge issue for Dundalk's UEFA Licence?
    I know he's gone, but if that was their intention or similar, surely it wouldn't be allowed by the FAI/UEFA. Using someone else as cover may have been poorly disguised previously, but I can't believe it would be allowed again?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lilywhites View Post
    Interesting appointment. Very out there, but who knows how it'll go. He's a bit older than most for his first senior role, but you have to start somewhere. He has come across really well in his interviews so far, I thought.

Kenny did well in his first senior job and went on from there. Perth came to us from Malahide, so he hardly had the greatest coaching CV himself.

The bottom line is Perth had to go. The players hated him and it was getting worse as time went on. It's time for them to step up now. Hopefully they buy into what Filippo is doing and we can finish the season well. Hopefully we get a favourable draw in the EL too and get through at least one round.

Gill had to go too, really. He was still defending Perth to the players before and after the Sligo game. He really should have walked when Perth left considering they're buddies. Reynolds was probably sorry he joined at all.

Still, it's poor form by the club not to acknowledge Gill's contribution, especially after the way he exited back in 2008. They could have shown a bit of class and given him a good send off. They haven't even said he's left.

Presumably, Shane Keegan will remain on and fill the Pro Licence requirement. Never really took him seriously as a manager so hopefully he doesn't try to get too involved - just sit in the corner and realise your place as a box ticker.
    That does not tick the box. The old FAI regime have turned a blind eye to this in the past. The FAI and the UEFA licensing regulations are clear. It will be a test of the new regime if they continue in the same way. Especially when such has been raised as a major concern in the context of the All Island competition proposals, since such a requirement is strictly enforced, along with other license requirements by the IFA.
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020...he-field-boss/

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    It sounds from that article that what they're after is a General Manager - not a Director of Football :

"Asked what the new person's exact title would be, Hulsizer said: "Boss. I don't know how else to say it. I don't care if you call him the Pope of football in Dundalk, it doesn't matter. He will be there to boss."

"Whoever we choose they have to have business skills, football skills, football knowledge, football contacts, business contacts. We need somebody to run the club. I can't do it from the US. We haven't done a great job so far except qualifying for the Europa League."The new man's job will be to run the club. There should be no daily communication between the board of directors and the people running the club in Ireland."It needs to be organised and it's not. That will be his first mission."

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast