Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 40 of 61 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: Gavin Bazunu G Southampton b.2002

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,347 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    We're ignoring the ship-jumper here of course...!

It's an amazing stat though
    Both of them

2. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,302 Posts
    I was only counting the one who played for us at senior, but still, fair point!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,726 Posts
    McCarthy's first real act was to take a risky touch on his own goal line and duly slip, necessitating a slide tackle recovery to send the ball out for a corner I think. Not much else to do, Bournemouth's shooting was awful. The goal was the type of goal we've seen Bazunu concede a few of this season, a well-placed low but not particularly firm shot just inside the post.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 28/04/2023 at 10:30 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    742 Posts
    The best outcome for Bazunu now is that he is first choice in the Championship next year and looks the part. I don't think we've any reason to think he couldn't do that, but it's a crap time to lose his place. Let's hope McCarthy fumbles his opportunity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,347 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Both of them
    Actually, three of them.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    742 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Actually, three of them.
    Rice, Grealish, and who? Bamford?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,668 Posts
    my mind went to Kane... never with us but Galway father.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Michael Keane??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,302 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post
    Michael Keane??
    He has played underage for Ireland, so it probably is him alright.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,347 Posts
    yeah, Keane.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    208 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    The best outcome for Bazunu now is that he is first choice in the Championship next year and looks the part. I don't think we've any reason to think he couldn't do that, but it's a crap time to lose his place. Let's hope McCarthy fumbles his opportunity.
    He undoubtedly has done so, as Southampton have lost all their matches since Bazunu was benched, their defence doesn't look one iota improved, and their relegation was officially confirmed today.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    I'm not sure you can blame either goalkeeper for this season. The team was absolutely awful, and the defence was one of the worst I've ever seen in many years of watching football.

Kelleher seems to be linked with a few Premier League teams, but I don't get why he's rated higher than Bazunu. I'd like to see them both play a full season next year, regardless of which division.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    483 Posts
    Bazunu will surely be back starting next season cause. If they're planning on starting McCarthy they might as well sell Bazunu to get their money back and reinvest the money into the team.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Bazunu will surely be back starting next season cause. If they're planning on starting McCarthy they might as well sell Bazunu to get their money back and reinvest the money into the team.
    Not sure they would get their money back at this stage. Probably better off keeping him as a backup and hoping he comes good. I think he could do well in the Championship but they may not trust him now.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    246 Posts
    The intelligent thing to do for Southampton is to have Bazunu as the starter next season and build up his value again. I don’t think any reasonable person would blame him for the relegation although I don’t think Bazunu was innocent. He’s an incredibly young goalkeeper by Premier League standards and this was a tough situation for any keeper, let alone one his age.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    109 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Not sure they would get their money back at this stage. Probably better off keeping him as a backup and hoping he comes good. I think he could do well in the Championship but they may not trust him now.
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    The intelligent thing to do for Southampton is to have Bazunu as the starter next season and build up his value again. I don’t think any reasonable person would blame him for the relegation although I don’t think Bazunu was innocent. He’s an incredibly young goalkeeper by Premier League standards and this was a tough situation for any keeper, let alone one his age.
    He's considerably devalued. Anything less than a stellar Championship campaign will terminate thoughts of an EPL career for the foreseeable future. While this year's disappointment leaves the door ajar (he's young, gained experience etc) nothing will save him from a floppy Championship experience.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    On the simple coefficient of average goals conceded, Bazunu ranked 17th of the 20 EPL regular keepers. For a more detailed analysis of all the keepers who appeared in the EPL this season, see https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/keepers...r-League-Stats. it's not too implausible to think that all 5 candidates for the Ireland keeper's jersey will be playing in the Championship next season. That would settle a few arguments....wouldn't it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,302 Posts
    Some of the other stats there are telling too. He's faced a lot fewer shots than others (Raya and Leno at Fulham and Brentford have faced half as many shots again, for example, yet conceded ten fewer). His save rate of 54% is comfortably the lowest of anyone with more than 15 games - 54%, compared to 59% for Meslier, the next lowest, and about 70% for the division average.

Of course, the defence plays a role in what sort of shots are faced, but that's where xG is supposed to come in (or technically, PSxG, which is supposed to look just at the keeper) and he's been consistently the lowest in the division there too. This link from the same site has advanced stats including PSxG and suggests he's conceded about 16/17 goals more than expected. It's a lot.

You can see how important Alisson and Leno were to Liverpool and Fulham's seasons (conceding about 9 goals less than expected), how Bournemouth were justified in getting Neto in to replace Travers, why Spurs are maybe looking to replace Lloris, and how McCarthy hasn't exactly staked a claim for the Southampton jersey either. Southampton could look to sign a new keeper in the summer? If nothing else, McCarthy is on a big wage and if they can move him on it may help the squad elsewhere.

Anyways, time is on Bazunu's side, but definitely a tough season. Next step is to get his spot in the team back of course. Mightn't be a gimme, and I've noted the similarities with Angus Gunn before, who had to move on to Norwich before finally establishing himself.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    He's considerably devalued. Anything less than a stellar Championship campaign will terminate thoughts of an EPL career for the foreseeable future. While this year's disappointment leaves the door ajar (he's young, gained experience etc) nothing will save him from a floppy Championship experience.
    Spurs linked with a £15m move for Bazunu

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    742 Posts
    That'd be quite the move. I suspect it's paper talk - expensive player in relegated team linked with big club who are expected to sign a player in that position is a handy story, and most transfer gossip is speculation at best - but it'd be interesting to be wrong!

Page 40 of 61 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast