Page 27 of 53 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Gavin Bazunu G Southampton b.2002

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Bazunu back in the team tonight for the EFL Cup semi final after supposedly being dropped for the the much less important FA Cup game at the weekend.
    Must have missed him playing in it so...

I think I was fairly clear there could have been a number of reasons behind it and was just posting it for news, but I think we can also be fairly clear that he isn't safe and secure in his position at the moment either.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Must have missed him playing in it so...

I think I was fairly clear there could have been a number of reasons behind it and was just posting it for news, but I think we can also be fairly clear that he isn't safe and secure in his position at the moment either.
    Dude, you said he was dropped

3. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    There were about 7 other changes made for the blackpool game, i think most people would have said they were prioritizing tonights game.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Yup. And I don't think he played, no?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Yup. And I don't think he played, no?
    No, but you told me it maybe wishful thinking when I said that he was no more dropped than Allison was for other cup games.

Not gonna keep going over and back on it but I just find your opinion on Bazunu from day one when he came into the Ireland squad a bit odd.

8. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    Had a decent game, very good double save in the second half.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I thought he "might" have saved the first. Certainly not at fault but a missed opportunity for a great save.

I think if you look closely enough you'll see the second goal took a slight deflection on way in, I think he'd have saved it otherwise. The shot looked really clean but was going into the very middle of the goal before a slight nick took it wide of him.

Very good double save, as Asterix noted, and some very accurate long passes. One flap at a corner and one where I think he did well to get a fist on it even if the punch was a bit unconvincing. Each time he had a lot of bodies to come through.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 01/02/2023 at 12:20 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I thought he "might" have saved the first. Certainly not at faulty but a missed opportunity for a great save.
    Interesting you say that - one of the main criticisms on the Southampton forum is similar. "Other keepers sometimes pull off great saves, this bloke never does. I honestly can’t recall ever thinking “he did well to save that”", for example. It kind of ties in with the xG stats I think.

And it has to be noted their forum has to be taken with a bit of salt - lot of unhelpful general ranting given they're bottom of the table - and the defence gets its fair share of stick too. But thought the similarity in view with Southampton fans was worth flagging.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Interesting you say that - one of the main criticisms on the Southampton forum is similar. "Other keepers sometimes pull off great saves, this bloke never does. I honestly can’t recall ever thinking “he did well to save that”", for example. It kind of ties in with the xG stats I think.

And it has to be noted their forum has to be taken with a bit of salt - lot of unhelpful general ranting given they're bottom of the table - and the defence gets its fair share of stick too. But thought the similarity in view with Southampton fans was worth flagging.
    I think so far this season the first bit is fair.

As for the defence, the first 20 mins was unbelievably bad. They gave up 3 clear shooting opportunities from 12 yards or so. Two goals, one pulled wide. It was actually a miracle that Southampton made a game of it at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    He got down quick enough to get a touch on the shot for the first goal. If you can get a touch, it is “saveable”. That said, if he kept it out, it’s a save of the season contender. And he does make good saves – he won save of the month in the PL for November.

You can always wish more, for example his xG stats are apparently poor (don’t know how this compares with goalies at the bottom of the PL in previous seasons?), but I think he is doing fine from what I see. And it is noteworthy that Southampton were relatively active in the transfer window and chose not to sign a goalie.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts

His save against the mighty Luxembourg away game
    Was one of the greatest saves ive ever seen.

15. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Arguably saved Kenny's job

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    His save against the mighty Luxembourg away game
    Was one of the greatest saves ive ever seen.
    Probably the best I've seen from an Ireland goalkeeper in an Ireland game. Not in overall context (Bonner in Stuttgart, Genoa...) but qualitatively. His save from Mitrovic's header in Dublin was right up there too.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    'Murica!

"kind of ties in with the xG stats I think" -- I'm definitely not one to run to stats to feel the need to re-enforce my opinion but in footballing terms they are probably most apt for a GK. At the end of the day its goals and saves. Passing and distribution nice to haves, but if the first doesnt come no point in having the second.

On Bazunu PS does seem a little more negative about him than other players who I believe would be as deserving of the same attention but that said I have a niggling feeling about him. I think he can deceive with the odd brilliant piece of GK but its masking an ordinality behind it all.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 01/02/2023 at 3:11 PM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    'Murica!
    Mucksavage!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Mucksavage!
    I'd never say something like that though. I'd never over indulge in colloquialisms. Far too sophisticated for any of that commonality, low grade behaviour.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    I think the biggest thing I take from Bazunu this season is that his learning curve is just highlighted more than most other keepers due to playing playing at such a high level so young. Any keeper learning their trade will make mistakes and take time to adjust to senior football but when you are learning in the most watched league in the world and happen to be playing on a crap team where you get no coverage from your defenders, there are times where questions will be asked by fans looking for a scapegoat.

I seem to remember a couple of times when he was on loan at Portsmouth where the fans were on his back a bit but they loved him before he left. For the most part he has been good but not spectacular, even if he did win save of the month as someone mentioned above.

I keep saying it, hes 20! Personally I think hes doing amazingly well for a fella that age

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts

We know he can make the spectacular saves though. I think he's just been a bit shook this season. As I said earlier it must be difficult to get set when chances are being coughed up that shouldn't be. Hopefully he can settle, get his confidence back and then the big saves will come. He has plenty of highlight reels but is probably so focused on the basics that he isn't hitting the highest levels he can.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    We know he can make the spectacular saves though.
    Not often enough though, it seems. Look at the Armenia game for example. Two goals he (and others, to be clear) should have done better for. That's what counts ultimately.

I also remember talking to Niall Corbet about UCD's Euro games and he said he really enjoyed the game in Luxemburg in particular; he had nothing to lose from facing so many shots. I used to enjoy games like that too (to a certain extent!). Everyone will be different of course, but I don't think it's set in stone that playing behind a dodgy defence automatically hits morale/form.

You've spoken about how he may take 4/5 years to reach his peak and that could well be the case (though I'd hope it'd be sooner). I just look at France being next month though and wonder if he's the best option right now.

Kelleher's situation isn't ideal either - I've said before I admire Bazunu for the bravery to leave City - but I'd feel happier with Kelleher in nets for the moment tbh. And I don't think a change of keeper will make a massive difference against France of course.

Page 27 of 53 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast