Page 7 of 60 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: Gavin Bazunu G Southampton b.2002

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I think you've got to judge these saves in real time. Looked a bit clumsy in slow mo but in real time he did what was needed.
    But he only did what was needed because he got lucky and the ball hit the bar on the opposite side of the goal.

I think the reality is it was an unnecessarily clumsy save that he got very lucky from. Just touch the ball over and be done with it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I think the save from Mitrovic with his foot was simply brilliant btw.
    Also made a decent save that stopped Azerbaijan going 2up on us, and kept Kenny in the job with that save. Time will tell how important that save ultimately proves to be.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    But he only did what was needed because he got lucky and the ball hit the bar on the opposite side of the goal.

I think the reality is it was an unnecessarily clumsy save that he got very lucky from. Just touch the ball over and be done with it
    Is there reason for it being "unnecessarily clumsy"? He seemed to get ahead of the direction of the ball. He would not purposely do that - so perhaps there was an unexpected swerve or his line of vision was momentarily blocked. But he kept it out regardless.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Would be hard for Kenny to leave Kelleher out if he was starting every weak for Liverpool but the reality is he will be back on the bench for the foreseeable once Allison is available.
    In the absence of Kelleher playing games it would be harsh for Kenny to drop Bazunu in the absence of some obvious goal conceding errors (Not conceding due to luck is easy to forgive) given he has dug Kenny out of a hole at times.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    First goal, I think a more experienced keeper, say a premier league starter, is normally tracking that ball and at the very least getting a finger tip to it to push it out to the sideline, probably for a throw. I wouldn’t go so far to say it’s his fault but if he progresses, 3 years from now, it wouldn’t be a goal.

Second goal, similarly, inexperience. In fairness to him, I think it deflects off the defenders shoulder. Hard to see with that angle but that makes the ball move and perhaps wrong foots him a little and puts a load of spin on the ball. A more experienced might handle the shot differently. Not sure it was really travelling quick enough to punch. He kinda drops it onto his foot. I’ve noticed he regularly does things like a little spill here and there or a little misjudgement but he’s got such incredible reactions and speed of movement that he can recover quicker than any keeper I’ve seen. They’ll probably fade a little as he ages and fills out.

Third goal wasn’t his fault, and it’s difficult to judge but if he came he would have beaten the attacker to the ball. The attacker heads it at the six yard box. He probably only has 2 yards to move from where he starts out.

There was talk on the kelleher thread of him one day replacing Ederson, I do feel that Ederson would have handled all three goals. It’s a really high bar and he’s still a teenager but it’s days like that that show you how far he has to go - and also illustrate that Kelleher, Travers and Randolph all have a shout to be our best keeper right now.

Hard to drop him when he’s been faultless for ireland but he’s just one of four talented keepers
    First reaction is pretty much what you allude to - as a decent cb, you're expecting your keeper, an experienced one at least, to deal with all 3 comfortably, even the third where a more powerful keeper comes and claims the ball, man and all.
    It's easy criticism to throw at him to be fair, without saying that there is no merit to it, which there is of course. Again, as you say, it's what you hope he will learn from.

That said, he does appear to have shown a tendancy to lose crosses in at least 2 or 3 games he's played for us, even if it's only once in each game.

On the more speculative (on all our part, not yours) subject of long-term futures, I honestly think that Kelleher could be first choice for Liverpool the season after next. That potentially frees up 100m on spending on Liverpools part if Allison were to go Spain-side. That's a gut feeling, and probably has no basis in reality, but there is no doubt that he's making a huge impression on Klopp and Linjders. Two years time he's pushing 24/25, he won't be a kid anymore and would need to have some sort of plan for the future.

You can't have the same sort of discussion about Bazunu yet, he's two years younger, and it's a totally different operating model at City. and frankly, he doesn't need to have that kind of conversation yet, as long as he's getting good, quality loans that are appropriate for his development, and keep him in the discussion for the Ireland squad, as long as it's deserved.

Out of curiosity - who is the 4th quality keeper?
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Here is a question
    if Allison gets seriously injured and kelleher does a v good job for Liverpool for a couple of months. do we stick with Gavin?
    It's a good question - and a very tough one to answer. I'd side with retaining Bazunu until the end of this qualifying campaign, and then reappraising - if the hypothetical situation developed as you wonder.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Is there reason for it being "unnecessarily clumsy"? He seemed to get ahead of the direction of the ball. He would not purposely do that - so perhaps there was an unexpected swerve or his line of vision was momentarily blocked. But he kept it out regardless.
    A swerve or deflection would explain it, but I don't think either happened.

I think taking his eye off the ball is more likely, and we've seen it before with that corner against Azerbaijan at home, and indeed the second goal in these highlights.

He kept it out, sure, but that doesn't mean it wasn't an error. I think he's due to cost us a goal (if indeed he didn't already in Andorra)

Unfortunately keepers more than any other position get judged by their errors, so he needs to cut those out. And he's 19, so he has loads of time to do it. But I still think people get carried away with where he's at right now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Probably Randolph?
    Maybe Sean McDermott?

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Isn't there a study floating around in the past 10 yrs wrt to teenage brain function and the increased clumsiness from 15-20 in general hand-to-eye coordination?
    i'll try and dig it out.
    It means we would likely see an end to that in Q2 2022.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Probably Randolph?
    Maybe Sean McDermott?
    Hence why I asked, I wouldn't classify either as quality, nor would I class the current 3 as quality either. They're in the 'massive potential' bracket, the aforementioned are in the adequately competent bracket.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Probably Randolph?
    Maybe Sean McDermott?
    Is mcderrmott a full time pro? ( no other job) I saw a few years back his club were do raffles to get a player they wanted. Its sounds very amateur

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    A swerve or deflection would explain it, but I don't think either happened.

I think taking his eye off the ball is more likely, and we've seen it before with that corner against Azerbaijan at home, and indeed the second goal in these highlights.

He kept it out, sure, but that doesn't mean it wasn't an error.
    I think he was blinded by Duffy moving across a shot that swerved mid-air.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    One thing we will ok agree on, is we are lucky to have these 2 young fellas.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    One thing we will ok agree on, is we are lucky to have these 2 young fellas.
    Sure, and throw Travers into the mix as well. He has the same amount of Premiership appearances as Kelleher, and seems to established himself as first choice at a club topping the Championship.

22. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    426 Posts
    Sure, and throw Travers into the mix as well. He has the same amount of Premiership appearances as Kelleher, and seems to established himself as first choice at a club topping the Championship.
    Feel sorry for Travers. He's playing week in week out for probably the best team in the championship but is seen as third choice among the young keepers. Think he's showed more than enough so far this season to get a second chance in the senior team. Fair enough he was warming the bench himself when he last played for the seniors but he's established himself as first choice for probably the best team in the championship.

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    I think he was blinded by Duffy moving across a shot that swerved mid-air.
    The clip is below at 7:00. The second replay from behind the shot is best. The ball swerves, but not massively. I don't think Duffy is a factor. He's tried to swat it away and is very lucky it came off the bar instead of going into the net

https://youtu.be/28gtpb0opCY
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 18/10/2021 at 2:06 PM.

26. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    It's a good question - and a very tough one to answer. I'd side with retaining Bazunu until the end of this qualifying campaign, and then reappraising - if the hypothetical situation developed as you wonder.
    I think it is a little easier to answer. The shirt is Gavin's. Kelleher getting regular football would have to coincide with Bazunu having a couple of dodgy/costly games for us (or his club form going completely down the drain i suppose). As an aside, neither of those look likely to happen in the short term.

28. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    The clip is below at 7:00. The second replay from behind the shot is best. The ball swerves, but not massively. I don't think Duffy is a factor. He's tried to swat it away and is very lucky it came off the bar instead of going into the net

https://youtu.be/28gtpb0opCY
    Yes the video shows a fast moving shot that swerves mid-air. It's not conclusive that Duffy blocks his vision but the video does show Duffy moving across the ball before Bazunu makes the save. We need to see it from Bazunu's positioning to be sure. But previously you have said

I think taking his eye off the ball is more likely
    and

it was an unnecessarily clumsy save that he got very lucky from.
    The video also shows Bazunu eyes fixed on the ball throughout the build-up play. Certainly from the sideline video angle he appears very focused, positioning is fine, and he does take a stance anticipating the shot. I agree there is awkwardness/ clumsiness to the save but is it unnecessarily clumsy for a reason - line of vision momentarily blocked for example?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Well what happens in the build-up play is irrelevant; I'm suggesting he might have momentarily taken his eye off the ball during its flight. I think the way he goes at the ball, trying to swat it away, is very awkward and gives him little control over where the ball is going to end up, which is particularly why I think he got luck with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Well what happens in the build-up play is irrelevant; I'm suggesting he might have momentarily taken his eye off the ball during its flight. I think the way he goes at the ball, trying to swat it away, is very awkward and gives him little control over where the ball is going to end up, which is particularly why I think he got luck with it.
    whether his line of sight was blocked or he momentarily took his eye off the ball during its flight (though I am not sure that is actually physically possible given how quickly it all happened), he did what was needed to keep the ball out of the net. Which is what it is about for a keeper.

I thought at the time it was a good save and i still think it was.

Page 7 of 60 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast