Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 25 of 60 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Gavin Bazunu G Southampton b.2002

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Getting a lot of love on the Southampton fans forum which is nice to see for a change!
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    And after avoiding both Man United and Newcastle, has more than a decent chance of playing at Wembley in his first season!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    748 Posts
    They drew Newcastle. Still a decent opportunity for them though.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quietly assured and definitely no sign of his defence having the jitters because of him! In fact the chemistry between him and his centre-backs looked good.

One simple-looking thing stood out for me, when a nasty inswinger late in the game just eluded Haaland's head. He kept following the ball and made a relatively routine diving catch to his left. I've seen keepers failing to anticipate the ball being missed and the ball curling in at the far post. I think Southampton even scored one like that at the weekend. I think it showed good concentration and good judgment.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Well done to young Gav. I think he has the inner self belief to get over any poor performances. Would be nice to see him reach a final.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Bazunu and Travers both in line for Save of the Month...if there was a howler of the month they might be in line for that too but..swings and roundabouts etc.
    Bazunu wins it.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/3016884

I like how he's even showing 2 fingers to Stu too
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 13/01/2023 at 1:41 PM.

7. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I like how he's even showing 2 fingers to Stu too
    Ah, he's earned it in fairness

Though this article here makes for grim reading (for all three of our keepers, lest I be accused of bias again).

We're not quite in the brave new world people talk of yet, I think.

9. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    The numbers tell part of the story for sure but as an Arsenal watcher I think Ramsdale isn't playing anywhere near as well as last year, for example, and Kepa (+4.6!!) has been brutal. Handed Man City their win on a plate, at fault again last night I'm told.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 13/01/2023 at 2:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    The numbers tell part of the story for sure but as an Arsenal watcher I think Ramsdale isn't playing anywhere near as well as last year, for example, and Kepa (+4.6!!) has been brutal. Handed Man City their win on a plate, at fault again last night I'm told.
    kepa has been good this year though and the numbers prove it. 2 errors dont change that.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Ah, he's earned it in fairness

Though this article here makes for grim reading (for all three of our keepers, lest I be accused of bias again).

We're not quite in the brave new world people talk of yet, I think.
    Bit harsh on Kelleher. He doesn't get a mention despite playing fairly well when called upon albeit not in the league. The article goes on as if Allison is their only option.

Doesn't paint the greatest picture for Bazunu or Travers. If we get one proper EPL level keeper and a good Championship level backup out of the 3 we'd be happy enough. Still time for all 3 to make it at the highest level though.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Why would he get a mention. They don't mention other back up keepers bar Chelsea and West Ham I believe.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Well the problem for Kelleher really is that he's stuck behind by far and away the form keeper in the league, and the player who's saving Liverpool's season from being a horrible mess. (If those numbers are to be believed - xG is always controversial of course)

Means he's even less likely to get any real game time, even in the FA Cup (which Liverpool may be targetting to rescue a dire season - it might even be a Euro safety net if they can't turn things around in the league)

16. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Why would he get a mention. They don't mention other back up keepers bar Chelsea and West Ham I believe.
    They managed to get Travers in as well.....

I get why he isn't in there as he hasn't played in the league (right?) but it's just the way it's phrased as if Allison is their only option and they'd be completely fooked without him. Kelleher at this point has at least proved he is an able deputy. Not a big deal though. I'm just being overly defensive about one of ours.

Hopefully he gets his move soon.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    I presume players are only included if they've played a certain minimum number of games. Chelsea have flipped between Mendy and Kepa. Bournemouth are the only other team with two keepers noted and again, Travers and Neto have shared the jersey this season (because Neto was signed after the start of the season and then got injured)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Yeah that makes sense. As I said, I'm just being a bit defensive.

It does make for grim reading but I suppose we at least HAVE 2 of them being compared at that level now. I'm still hopeful Bazunu can play at that level and Travers can at least play at Championship level.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    There is a surprising amount of negativity on this thread with Bazunu.

Hes 20.........

20 year old goalkeepers will make mistakes no matter what the level they are at. His mistakes highlighted more because hes playing in Premiership. Of course hes gonna have periods where he is a bit inconsistent but the level of talent he has is enough for his club to stick with through that.

I remember De Gea when he joined United 1st, 19 years old and made mistakes all the time. The club seen enough there to know he was a top class keeper and would learn. Bazunu will be the same. He could be best keeper in the world at 25 with the experience he is getting at such a young age. Very few keepers in world football are even getting 1st team football at that age in top divisions.

22. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    748 Posts
    To be fair I think Travers has already shown that he is a more than capable Championship keeper - he's our third choice, if NI, Scotland or Wales had him he'd probably be their starting keeper. The issue is whether he can step up to be an EPL level keeper in the long term. For me he will have to become a much more commanding keeper to achieve that. And maybe a better ball playing one also. There's a lot to improve on there but he's still young for a keeper.

Bazunu is learning on the job and not getting much protection while doing so. It would have been much better for him if Southampton had one of those seasons where they don't do much but keep themselves clear of the relegation battle. That hasn't happened unfortunately so he's straight in at the deep end. The midweek cup game was encouraging so hopefully he kicks on from there. He's clearly not there yet but I do think he'll be a top keeper in a few years. Easy to forget he's still 20, that's probably the equivalent of 18 for an outfield player. His career up to now has been incredible, even allowing for the current dip in form.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post

Hes 20.........

20 year old goalkeepers will make mistakes no matter what the level they are at. His mistakes highlighted more because hes playing in Premiership. Of course hes gonna have periods where he is a bit inconsistent but the level of talent he has is enough for his club to stick with through that.

I remember De Gea when he joined United 1st, 19 years old and made mistakes all the time. The club seen enough there to know he was a top class keeper and would learn. Bazunu will be the same. He could be best keeper in the world at 25 with the experience he is getting at such a young age. Very few keepers in world football are even getting 1st team football at that age in top divisions.

I agree completely. I'm still pretty sure Bazunu will turn out to be a world class keeper and this current rocky patch will be put behind him just like the one he had at Rochdale. He's a kid who has flown up the levels since appearing for Rovers only 5 years ago. That'd be tough in any career and you'd expect mistakes to be made.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post

Hes 20.........

How on earth has this post not had more “thanks”. First bit of common sense on Bazunu in (p)ages. He’s an incredible prospect and is already solid enough to be arguably holding his own in a high pressure environment - for Southampton and for a 20 year old keeper.

26. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    A couple of more bombscare moments for Gavin today, but most importantly they got the win. Hopefully they will keep up the momentum. Amazing learning experience for him this season, hopefully he can keep his number 1 position

Page 25 of 60 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast